Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Knowledge and How-To


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2004, 03:42 PM   #41 (permalink)
Insane
 
Location: Canada
This thread needs its own group of myth busters. There's misinformation all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermopyle
Did you know: That the Chines wall is NOT visible from space!
NASA says it is: link

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksuddeth
A cheetah's speed is the result of having six more vertabrae in its back than the average wild feline.
Specifically, it actually has more to do with the increased mobility they have in the pelvic girdle (ossa coxae and to some degree femur) and pectoral girdle (scapula/clavicle), which would be attributes resulting from their soft tissue formation, not bone. Being able to extend their shoulders and hips farther, they can achieve much longer strides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendsley
'Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia' is the fear of long words.
Not a word according to the Oxford English Dictionary. What dictionary have you found it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngdawg
Stomach acid is one of the most corrosive chemicals known
Acid chyme in the stomach (resulting from HCl) has a pH of about 2.5 While this is a strong acid, it is fairly dilute in the stomach. Plenty of the strong acids, when concentrated, can push the pH 0 boundary, which is over 300 times more acidic as pH 2.5


To add my own fact:
The concept of deadly "quick sand" doesn't really work. While it would be difficult to get out of, it can't suck you under because water containing sand is much denser than pure water. Since people can easily float in water, they are significantly more buoyant in a water/sand mixture and float considerably better.
That's also thanks to Mythbusters.
Poloboy is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 09:23 AM   #42 (permalink)
Psycho
 
itch vaccine's Avatar
 
Location: on my spinning computer chair
Poloboy, you're just out to attack everyone

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...ppedaliophobia

a link for "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia"

Oxford can't always be up to date with new fears

And thanks for the new fact.
itch vaccine is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 02:51 PM   #43 (permalink)
Insane
 
Location: Canada
Not out to attack, just to expand on people's facts

Thanks for the link.
Poloboy is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 12:53 PM   #44 (permalink)
Psycho
 
itch vaccine's Avatar
 
Location: on my spinning computer chair
LoL, looks like you know a lot / have just been watching way too many Mythbusters

No probs @ the link.
itch vaccine is offline  
Old 11-23-2004, 07:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poloboy
NASA says it is: link
Yep. What's untrue is that the Great Wall is the only man-made object visible from space. There are others as well, none of which come to mind at the moment.

Oh, ok, I spent the 30 seconds required to Google it ... and it turns out there are many. You can see some here.

As usual, Snopes has a good explanation, including the fact that this canard dates back to at least the 1930s.
__________________
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
abscondo is offline  
Old 11-25-2004, 12:21 AM   #46 (permalink)
Upright
 
Quote:
The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."
what about strengths?

The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."
sobedrummer is offline  
Old 11-27-2004, 10:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
#1 Irish Fan
 
heccubusiv's Avatar
 
Location: The Burgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by itch vaccine
Poloboy, you're just out to attack everyone

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...ppedaliophobia

a link for "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia"

Oxford can't always be up to date with new fears

And thanks for the new fact.
is it just me or is that link not leading to a defination. But after a google search got this link http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/p...?SDID=204:1595

that might be a parody but proves your point
__________________
Fuck Ohio
heccubusiv is offline  
Old 11-30-2004, 02:37 AM   #48 (permalink)
Psycho
 
itch vaccine's Avatar
 
Location: on my spinning computer chair
heccubusiv,

wtf..

I could've sworn the definition popped up the other day I did the search..

graggh. sOrry :\
itch vaccine is offline  
Old 11-30-2004, 03:30 AM   #49 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: UK
Hypotheticals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phage
How can you say this without specifying font size or spacing? With enough toner and creative kerning I could make a two letter word circle the world 500 times.
Well I can't specify font size because depending on varying screen resolution, what you see as Arial 10, could well be my Arial 8. Also spacing wouldn't be applicable either as I have already stated that this is one contiguous figure/statement of Pi. But if you're desperate for specifics each digit would have to be no larger than 3mm with a 0.1mm kerning area on either side of it.
__________________
and so ends the thought process for another day...
Stug is offline  
Old 12-01-2004, 05:11 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: Richmond, VA
Did you know that...


...if you lined up every one in China in a straight line and walked along it, you would never reach the end due to reproduction rates.
Avail is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 07:31 AM   #51 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: Byesville
Hey Avail, if everyone was standing in a straight line, wouldn't that make it hard for them to reproduce? And as for the Great Wall from Space debate, define space. Are we talking atmosphere? Or Outer Space? That makes a difference.
__________________
If after I depart this vale you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost,
forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl.

H.L. Mencken
byesman is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 07:55 AM   #52 (permalink)
Professional Loafer
 
bendsley's Avatar
 
Location: texas
Quote:
A group of ravens is called a murder.
This is also true for crows, unless ravens and crows are basically the same thing.
__________________
"You hear the one about the fella who died, went to the pearly gates? St. Peter let him in. Sees a guy in a suit making a closing argument. Says, "Who's that?" St. Peter says, "Oh, that's God. Thinks he's Denny Crane."
bendsley is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 07:56 AM   #53 (permalink)
Professional Loafer
 
bendsley's Avatar
 
Location: texas
Quote:
...if you lined up every one in China in a straight line and walked along it, you would never reach the end due to reproduction rates.
Kind of hard to reproduce if you're standing in a line (assuming shoulder to shoulder here).
__________________
"You hear the one about the fella who died, went to the pearly gates? St. Peter let him in. Sees a guy in a suit making a closing argument. Says, "Who's that?" St. Peter says, "Oh, that's God. Thinks he's Denny Crane."
bendsley is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 09:02 AM   #54 (permalink)
Upright
 
If you're stuck on a liferaft with unpalatable (fresh) water, you can absorb up to 1 pint per day through enemas.
Greazy is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 12:46 PM   #55 (permalink)
Psycho
 
MiSo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munku
Rather untrue. Also, one major thing about these fact listings, is that often times people are wrong about something and then others get that info and tell it to someone else, and it spreads like wildfire. :/
i've attemted this many times.... cuz i have allergies. and even when trying to hold my eyelids open, i cannot while sneezing.
MiSo is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
Semi-Atomic
 
Location: Home.
Did you know that the T.V. show 'Twin Peaks' budgeted $150 a week for on-screen doughnuts?
__________________
Someday, someone will best me.
But it won't be today, and it won't be you.
Jonsgirl is offline  
Old 12-05-2004, 01:02 AM   #57 (permalink)
Upright
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendsley

"Almost" is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
I couldn't resist arising from lurkerhood to refute you on this. There are actually 24 other words I found with this property that equal "almost" in length. I will abstain from listing them.

However, I did find one word longer than "almost":

billowy

I will now rest my tired eyes, as they need it after much diligent reading of the dictionary.
eequeeku is offline  
Old 12-05-2004, 05:04 PM   #58 (permalink)
Upright
 
facetiously is the only english word with all the vowels once and only once in alphabetical order
dxa1 is offline  
Old 12-07-2004, 04:47 AM   #59 (permalink)
Upright
 
Location: England
vowels

How about abstemious? If you want to go backwards try subcontinental.
dangrad is offline  
Old 12-08-2004, 10:20 AM   #60 (permalink)
Lost
 
Munku's Avatar
 
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSo
i've attemted this many times.... cuz i have allergies. and even when trying to hold my eyelids open, i cannot while sneezing.
Sneeze through your mouth and not your nose. Problem solved!
Munku is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 12:13 PM   #61 (permalink)
Psycho
 
itch vaccine's Avatar
 
Location: on my spinning computer chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by eequeeku
I couldn't resist arising from lurkerhood to refute you on this. There are actually 24 other words I found with this property that equal "almost" in length. I will abstain from listing them.

However, I did find one word longer than "almost":

billowy

I will now rest my tired eyes, as they need it after much diligent reading of the dictionary.
I heard of "almost" as being* the longest word with letters in alphabetical order

I guess billowy doesn't apply as the double "l" doesn't count?

Last edited by itch vaccine; 12-11-2004 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: edit : being*
itch vaccine is offline  
Old 12-12-2004, 02:57 PM   #62 (permalink)
Psycho
 
Location: Dreams
yeah double L is kind of a cheap trick
__________________
I know not how I may seem to others, but to myself I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with. [Plato]
kalisto_911 is offline  
Old 12-12-2004, 03:51 PM   #63 (permalink)
Upright
 
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangrad
How about abstemious? If you want to go backwards try subcontinental.
Your forgetting the Y.
Melinith is offline  
Old 12-12-2004, 07:37 PM   #64 (permalink)
Upright
 
Location: Virginia, USA
you're.
and in a post about knowledge, nonetheless.
hokiesandwich is offline  
Old 12-13-2004, 10:00 AM   #65 (permalink)
Addict
 
braisler's Avatar
 
Location: Midway, KY
Did you know... saliva has wound healing properties? Yep, when your mom told you she was going to kiss your booboo and make it better, she wasn't too far off the mark.

Not going to get into mom slobbering on your wound vs. kissing it.
braisler is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 10:11 PM   #66 (permalink)
Addict
 
Location: Wherever I am!
To get blood out of fabric you should use the spit of whomever spilled the blood. You have enzymes that help break down the blood. Someone elses spit won't do as good.
__________________
If ignorance is bliss, then wipe this smile off my face!
Hard8s is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 11:29 PM   #67 (permalink)
Upright
 
I see the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by abscondo
Yep. What's untrue is that the Great Wall is the only man-made object visible from space. There are others as well, none of which come to mind at the moment.
Hmm, seems to me there are a LOT of lighbulbs visible from space. They are man made aren't they?
Pfhorte is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 01:37 PM   #68 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: Michigan
Here you dictionary fans go:

Bookkeeper has the most pairs of letters in a row in the English language.
The longest word you can spell using only the top letter of the keyboard...typewriter

And finally, according to what I've heard, honey never goes bad. Anything trapped inside of it will be forever preserved. It will be just as sticky & difficult to spoon out of a jar today as it would be in 1000 years.
c172g is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 07:42 PM   #69 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: State College, PA
Did you know that 51% of people are in the majority? That blows my freaking mind!
roderickpsu is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 10:31 AM   #70 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grancey
Did you know:
Blue reflectors in the middle of a street indicate the location of a fire hydrant.....
I recently moved to indianapolis from cincinnati and was wondering what in the hell those damn blue reflectors were doing in the middle of the road.
Jakes is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 02:29 PM   #71 (permalink)
Upright
 
hydrogen is the least dense element in its gas form, and the most dense element in its solid form.
Karkaboosh1 is offline  
Old 12-22-2004, 05:17 AM   #72 (permalink)
Too Awesome for Aardvarks
 
stevie667's Avatar
 
Location: Angloland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendsley
It is impossible to lick your elbow. (wondering how many of you might actually try this)
I know someone who can do this
stevie667 is offline  
Old 12-22-2004, 05:30 AM   #73 (permalink)
Insane
 
Location: West Virginia
Did you know there are traces of cocaine in the majority of American paper money?

Really not that hard to believe if you think about it =p
__________________

- Artsemis
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are two keys to being the best:
1.) Never tell everything you know
Artsemis is offline  
Old 12-22-2004, 03:34 PM   #74 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poloboy
Not a word according to the Oxford English Dictionary. What dictionary have you found it in?
The OED is a descriptive work, it has no power to declare that some combination of phonemes is or is not a word. Odd as it sounds, popular usage is, in the end, the only thing that makes a word a word.
franzelneekburm is offline  
Old 12-22-2004, 07:01 PM   #75 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsauce
Isn't that only true for your own urine? I remember watching a video on Nazi camps and they were talking about it...
No, any healthy person's urine is essentially sterile, in the sense that there are no bacteria in it. It's possible for it to get contaminated from skin contact as it leaves the body, but that would still be quite insignificant; especially when compared to most other bodily fluids, which are chock full of all sorts of pathogens.

Chemically speacking urine is fairly harmless as well, it's mostly composed of urea with small amounts of uric acid. The latter, in large quantities over a long period of time can lead to gout, but you literally would have to down several quarts of urine every day to achieve that effect.

Once outside the body urine will get contaminated with bacteria fairly quickly, one of the effects there is that urea will be broken down back into ammonia, which is toxic. So, I guess, if there's urine drinking to be done, make sure it's fresh...
franzelneekburm is offline  
Old 12-22-2004, 07:38 PM   #76 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mephisto
Post an interesting fact. It's as simple as that.
Hmm, seems kinda open-ended, but OK, I'll bite.

Did you know?

The scene in Longus' "Daphnis and Chloe" where Daphnis fetches the single remaning apple from the very top of a tree is actually a reference to a poem by Sappho, the surviving fragment of which consists of only the few opening lines (Lobel-Page fr. 105).

Oh, did you mean "interesting" to other people as well?
franzelneekburm is offline  
Old 12-22-2004, 08:10 PM   #77 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: Canada
Around 1.75 millions animal species are now totaly extinct, out of an approximate 12 millions total animal species.
Over 12,000 species are currently labeled as "in danger of exctinction".

Last edited by El Kaz; 12-22-2004 at 08:14 PM..
El Kaz is offline  
Old 12-22-2004, 10:58 PM   #78 (permalink)
Addict
 
Location: Wherever I am!
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzelneekburm

The scene in Longus' "Daphnis and Chloe" where Daphnis fetches the single remaning apple from the very top of a tree is actually a reference to a poem by Sappho, the surviving fragment of which consists of only the few opening lines (Lobel-Page fr. 105).
What the ??? Who is Longus, and who are Daphnis and Chloe, and why the hell didn't she just go to the store for another apple instead of risking her neck by climbing to the top of the tree for the last remaining apple? And who came up with these names???

oh wait this is a fact thread not a question thread.

Bees communicate with little dances. Each shake is a measure of distance. This is how they all find the soda you spilled.
__________________
If ignorance is bliss, then wipe this smile off my face!
Hard8s is offline  
Old 12-23-2004, 01:02 PM   #79 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard8s
What the ??? Who is Longus, and who are Daphnis and Chloe, and why the hell didn't she just go to the store for another apple instead of risking her neck by climbing to the top of the tree for the last remaining apple? And who came up with these names???
"Daphnis and Chloe" is, while not the earliest surviving novel, probably the earliest surviving novel that's any good. Longus is the author. Daphnis was actually a he, not a she (the guy's very lucky that he didn't have to attend an American highschool). They didn't go to the store because it takes place around the second century, and you know, just isn't as romantic. Being the author Longus was probably the one to come up with the names; probably his own as well, as it's likely to have been a pseudonym.

See, you learn something new every day.
franzelneekburm is offline  
Old 12-23-2004, 01:35 PM   #80 (permalink)
Upright
 
Location: Little Rock
I don't know if this is true, as I live deep in the heart of Arkansas, but I have heard that on the Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.
rickscales is offline  
 

Tags
fact, interesting, thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:42 AM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360