Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Life


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Insane
 
Location: Bay Area, California
Gnarly Hands

So my job involves working with food (well actually I'm more of a foods stocker) so I have to wash my hands "after every possible contamination" which I do (unlike some of my co-workers ).

As a result my hands have become very dry and cracked - something that has never happened on this scale before.

In addition to the above problem, the skin on my hands also have obtained a "streched out" feeling. It feels as if my skin is so tight, it feels like when I strech my hands out (as if I'm making a 5) it literally "springs" back into the sei-fisted posistion.

I've tried lotion, but for the 8 hours I'm at work, I cannot use any. And it seems like the stocking job just wicks away any moisture I might have.

And plus the fact that it doesn't seem "manly" to use lotion doesn't help either but I'm willing to try.

So whatchu got for me?
Jason762 is offline  
Old 08-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Psycho
 
Ample's Avatar
 
Location: In your closet
Could you use gloves, I see a lot of people that do work with food using them.

And there is nothing wrong with men using lotion, I put it on daily if I need it or not.
__________________

Her juju beads are so nice
She kissed my third cousin twice
Im the king of pomona
Ample is offline  
Old 08-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
hoarding all the big girl panties since 2005
 
Sage's Avatar
 
Location: North side
See if you can use gloves at work- that'd be my first measure of prevention. Also, get some Udder Balm, or at least a lotion/cream that has urea in it. Yes, urea. As in usually found in urine. It's not gross- it's synthisized- and it works WONDERS on dry skin. Put some on your hands before bedtime and go to bed with gloves on (like the nice cotton kind, not the kind you throw snowballs with). I know it's all girly, but it'll make your hands nice and clear up the dry skin.
__________________
Sage knows our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's
She answers hard acrostics, has a pretty taste for paradox
She quotes in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus
In conics she can floor peculiarities parabolous
-C'hi
Sage is offline  
Old 08-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Psycho
 
1010011010's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Use a different type of soap for washing your hands.
Use one of those hand sanitizing gels v. hand washing.
Gloves might help.
Lotion before you go to bed.
__________________
Simple Machines in Higher Dimensions
1010011010 is offline  
Old 08-19-2006, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insane
 
Location: Bay Area, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample
Could you use gloves, I see a lot of people that do work with food using them.
Ulgh. Gloves = prune hands. I've tried it before, if it gets really bad I'll do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
See if you can use gloves at work- that'd be my first measure of prevention. Also, get some Udder Balm, or at least a lotion/cream that has urea in it. Yes, urea. As in usually found in urine. It's not gross- it's synthisized- and it works WONDERS on dry skin. Put some on your hands before bedtime and go to bed with gloves on (like the nice cotton kind, not the kind you throw snowballs with). I know it's all girly, but it'll make your hands nice and clear up the dry skin.
Yerrr urine? Where you you get those types of cotton gloves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010011010
Use a different type of soap for washing your hands.
Use one of those hand sanitizing gels v. hand washing.
Gloves might help.
Lotion before you go to bed.
We have soap that's liquid but turns to foam. At home I tend to jsut wipe my hands down with a wet paper towel, unless I was touching some meat or something.
Jason762 is offline  
Old 08-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
hoarding all the big girl panties since 2005
 
Sage's Avatar
 
Location: North side
Hrm... try the beauty section of your local grocery store for the gloves- that or the makeup counters at a department store. And yeah, urea. It's not actually urine (which has a bunch of other stuff in it) but it's a component of urine.
From Wikipedia: "Urea is used in topical dermatological products to promote rehydration of the skin." Wikipedia Article on Urea
__________________
Sage knows our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's
She answers hard acrostics, has a pretty taste for paradox
She quotes in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus
In conics she can floor peculiarities parabolous
-C'hi
Sage is offline  
Old 08-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deja Moo
 
Elphaba's Avatar
 
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Jason, there are gloves with a dusting of talc inside to prevent that sweaty feeling, but you would need to switch out those as often as you come into contact with a potential contaminent, yes?

Hospitals use waterless antibacterial wipes that might be of help. The after- work care that has been recommended by others is so necessary. Once you have brought your hands back to a healthy condition, it will be easier to keep them that way with just normal care.

We buy cotton gloves by the case, but I think the important thing is that you wear a glove at night that breathes and prevents the lotion from being wiped off. Pick a fragrance free lotion, because those can sting a wound. I recommend Vaseline Intensive Care because it is easy to find. Hospital lotions are probably better. Slather on the VIC, put on the gloves and I think you will begin to see the difference the next morning.

My 2 cents. Let us know how things turn out, ok?
Elphaba is offline  
Old 08-19-2006, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
I used to be in landscaping back in high school. I wore gloves. They were a spandex something or other mix, and they could breathe quite well (not leather, leather only works when it's very very cold, and still only for a short time). In tandum with simple hand moisturizer lotion and you should be fine. If the problem persists, you need to talk to a dermitologist. Cracked skin can lead to nasty infections, especially when working with organic matter (foods, wood, etc.).
Willravel is offline  
Old 08-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Insane
 
Location: Bay Area, California
Elphaba, no these are just plain rubber gloves.

Suppose you could send a case of cotton gloves my way? I've got no idea where to get them!

Will, costco has some, they look like kevlar type gloves, but I doubt they are. They're given out to the stockers (either that or they buy them from costco).
Jason762 is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Deja Moo
 
Elphaba's Avatar
 
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason762
Elphaba, no these are just plain rubber gloves.

Suppose you could send a case of cotton gloves my way? I've got no idea where to get them!

Will, costco has some, they look like kevlar type gloves, but I doubt they are. They're given out to the stockers (either that or they buy them from costco).
Will just reminded me...cotton gardening gloves might just do the trick.
Elphaba is offline  
Old 08-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Kick Ass Kunoichi
 
snowy's Avatar
 
Location: Oregon
They sell cotton gloves at Target in the beauty section next to all the poofs, loofahs, and other bath fooferah. They'll probably say something about a manicure on the package.

Having worked in food service, my biggest recommendation is to moisturize every time you are not handling food (every time you have a break), use a water-resistant lotion on your hands--Vaseline makes a really good one--to mitigate damage. The lotion itself will wash off, but it will leave a barrier behind to protect your skin from further damage.

You can also step up the lotion/glove combo by slathering your hands in bag balm and putting them in the gloves for a while, then covering them in lotion/glove combo for bedtime. Using something like bag balm will also increase your skin's resistance to water, so apply some before work.
__________________
If I am not better, at least I am different. --Jean-Jacques Rousseau
snowy is offline  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Insane
 
Location: Bay Area, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesnowyowl
They sell cotton gloves at Target in the beauty section next to all the poofs, loofahs, and other bath fooferah. They'll probably say something about a manicure on the package.

Having worked in food service, my biggest recommendation is to moisturize every time you are not handling food (every time you have a break), use a water-resistant lotion on your hands--Vaseline makes a really good one--to mitigate damage. The lotion itself will wash off, but it will leave a barrier behind to protect your skin from further damage.

You can also step up the lotion/glove combo by slathering your hands in bag balm and putting them in the gloves for a while, then covering them in lotion/glove combo for bedtime. Using something like bag balm will also increase your skin's resistance to water, so apply some before work.

Thanks!

Now I got some advice, now I have to actually put it to use!

Thanks again!
Jason762 is offline  
Old 08-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tilted
 
caver's Avatar
 
Location: Texas, Lbk
Pro Shield Plus

A friend is a nurse at a hospital. They are washing their hands constantly throughout the day. Some folks there use ProShield Pluss I have seen it at local pharmacies, but had trouble finding a link. I have used it, It feels kind of strange.

btw, it is used primarily for protecting incontinent patients from skin irrritation,
resulting from contact with ,uhm.... various sorts of leakage.
caver is offline  
Old 08-28-2006, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
hoarding all the big girl panties since 2005
 
Sage's Avatar
 
Location: North side
OOo I went into a local pharmacy today and found out where they keep the cotton gloves- next to the band-aids. Also, that's where they keep the super ultra amazing cracked skin healing cream.
__________________
Sage knows our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's
She answers hard acrostics, has a pretty taste for paradox
She quotes in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus
In conics she can floor peculiarities parabolous
-C'hi
Sage is offline  
 

Tags
gnarly, hands

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360