Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Life


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: Orange County, California
Breakfast idea #1

Being that breakfast is the absolute most important meal of the day, I like to try new things and keep it interesting instead of eating oatmeal and a protein shake every morning. Lately I tried a recipe that has creeped its way into my top choices for breakfast. From now on, I will occasionally try to post new and interesting meals for us health conscious people trying to add some quality muscle .

Oatmeal Egg-White Pancakes

6 egg whites
2 whole eggs
1 cup dry oatmeal
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped fresh or dried fruit (I have been using raisins or strawberries)
3 packets of splenda (or other sugarfree sweetener)

Combine all these and blend it up. This makes 1 serving (2 pancakes total) and you just cook them on a skillet as you would cook a normal pancake.

Nutritional Totals:
290 Calories
24 grams protein
33 carbs
8 frams fat
5 grams fiber



Post and tell me if you liked it

Last edited by Plan9Senior; 01-21-2004 at 04:30 PM..
Plan9Senior is offline  
Old 01-21-2004, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Loser
 
is it really that bad for me to never eat anything for breakfast?
*Mariosex is offline  
Old 01-21-2004, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Observant Ruminant
 
Location: Rich Wannabe Hippie Town
That actually sounds pretty good. My wife can't eat wheat anymore, and we both usually have scrambled eggwhites (with one yolk) for breakfast. So she'd probably kill for anything roughly like a real pancake. I'll pass it along.

One thing: what's splenda?

Last edited by Rodney; 01-21-2004 at 03:48 PM..
Rodney is offline  
Old 01-21-2004, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: Orange County, California
Quote:
Originally posted by *Mariosex
is it really that bad for me to never eat anything for breakfast?
Worst meal of the day to skip. People who skip breakfast are 5 times more likely to be obese. Breakfast skippers are more prone to be late day bingers. Remember, those who eat more often keep that metabolism higher and keep weight off easier. Aside from that, if you skip breakfast this would mean your body's last source of nourishment was from the previous day's dinner... this means your body will most likely be eating away muscle as a source of nourishment. If there is one meal to make sure not to skip, that would be breakfast. DONT SKIP IT!!
Plan9Senior is offline  
Old 01-21-2004, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: Orange County, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Rodney

One thing: what's splenda?
Oops, Splenda is a non sugar sweetener. Nutrasweet would do just fine. I just prefer Splenda because it is the best tasting sweetener and has no Aspartame.
Plan9Senior is offline  
Old 01-21-2004, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Existentialist
 
forseti-6's Avatar
 
Location: New York City
MMM that sounds like a great breakfast. Also sounds like a lot of cooking, which I don't have the luxury of time to do.

For a quick breakfast I'll usually buy a dozen eggs, hardboil them all. Eat two (sans the yolk, although I'll eat the yolks sometimes), and when I get to work I'll order a bowl of grits. Very filling, you get your morning protein and morning carbs. Has me going to lunch.
__________________
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss
forseti-6 is offline  
Old 01-21-2004, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: Orange County, California
Quote:
Originally posted by forseti-6
MMM that sounds like a great breakfast. Also sounds like a lot of cooking, which I don't have the luxury of time to do.

For a quick breakfast I'll usually buy a dozen eggs, hardboil them all. Eat two (sans the yolk, although I'll eat the yolks sometimes), and when I get to work I'll order a bowl of grits. Very filling, you get your morning protein and morning carbs. Has me going to lunch.
Its quicker then you think. Total of 15 minutes to complete. Even quicker if you blend the stuff the night before and just fry it up when needed
Plan9Senior is offline  
Old 01-21-2004, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fast'n'Bulbous
 
Location: Australia, Perth
Aren't artifical sweetners pretty dodgy?
http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/3_19.htm
i suppose it depends on what's in it though?

Are the pancakes sweet enough (with the fruits), it you hvae them without the artifical sweetner?

Anyway, normally, for breakfast i just have fruit. Orange, manderine, banana, apple, pear and some cherries (if we have them?) That with some warm water or peppermint tea.

Although it'd be good to try out this on the weekend, i guess. Normally i'd just have wheatbix or french toast anyway, so a change might be in order. Also sounds easy to make, which is good, cause i suck at cooking

cheers for the recipe
Sleepyjack is offline  
Old 01-21-2004, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: Orange County, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleepyjack
Aren't artifical sweetners pretty dodgy?
http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/3_19.htm
i suppose it depends on what's in it though?

Are the pancakes sweet enough (with the fruits), it you hvae them without the artifical sweetner?

Anyway, normally, for breakfast i just have fruit. Orange, manderine, banana, apple, pear and some cherries (if we have them?) That with some warm water or peppermint tea.

Although it'd be good to try out this on the weekend, i guess. Normally i'd just have wheatbix or french toast anyway, so a change might be in order. Also sounds easy to make, which is good, cause i suck at cooking

cheers for the recipe
Splenda has none of that shit which is why I named that one in particular.
Plan9Senior is offline  
Old 01-21-2004, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Insane
 
cait987's Avatar
 
hmm, Sounds like a very nice breakfast, and honestly since Im playing football now I beleive the extra protein will be nice but quick question... Do they taste much like pancakes? Ive never been a big fan of pancakes but pancakes are mostly dough so ide imagine that they are just shaped like pancakes but taste nothing alike.

Also, quick stupid question: Egg white = the stuff outside yolk?
Normally, I eat eggs with the yolk however Ive had a few times without dont notice any difference and as I understand it almost all the stuff you dont need is in the yolk so your better off skipping it anyway.

Sorry for all the dumb questions Im a big cooking fan however, When your putting the wrong stuff into the recipe alot of times things tend to go a bit wrong ><
cait987 is offline  
Old 01-21-2004, 08:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: Orange County, California
Quote:
Originally posted by cait987
hmm, Sounds like a very nice breakfast, and honestly since Im playing football now I beleive the extra protein will be nice but quick question... Do they taste much like pancakes? Ive never been a big fan of pancakes but pancakes are mostly dough so ide imagine that they are just shaped like pancakes but taste nothing alike.

Also, quick stupid question: Egg white = the stuff outside yolk?
Normally, I eat eggs with the yolk however Ive had a few times without dont notice any difference and as I understand it almost all the stuff you dont need is in the yolk so your better off skipping it anyway.

Sorry for all the dumb questions Im a big cooking fan however, When your putting the wrong stuff into the recipe alot of times things tend to go a bit wrong ><
Tastes sorta like a desert more than a pancake.... hmm almost like a hot pancake shaped muffin. It is good. Oh, and about the eggwhites. The yolk is where the cholesterol and fat is, which is why there are only 2 whole eggs and the other 6 eggs seperate the yolk and throw it away using only the whites.
Plan9Senior is offline  
Old 01-21-2004, 09:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junkie
 
fhqwhgads's Avatar
 
Did you happen to get this outta a Muscle and Fitness magazine? I saw a recipe similar to it recently and I've been wanting to try it out...
fhqwhgads is offline  
Old 01-22-2004, 12:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
 
seizei's Avatar
 
Location: CFB Gagetown, NB, CANADA
I like a nice omelette in the morning... Very quick...

I usually throw in whatever I happen to have in the fridge - green onion, broccoli, mushroom, whatever...

I think I'll have to try this recipe tomorrow morning!!
__________________
"If you're not weird, you're not interesting".
I'm very interesting ...

seizei; (adv - Japanese) at the most; at best; to the utmost; as much (far) as possible. (pronounced - say-zay)
seizei is offline  
Old 01-22-2004, 02:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: Orange County, California
Quote:
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
Did you happen to get this outta a Muscle and Fitness magazine? I saw a recipe similar to it recently and I've been wanting to try it out...
Ahah bingo! Yes, that is exactly where I got it It is damn good too, try it when you get a chance.
Plan9Senior is offline  
Old 01-22-2004, 03:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
gal
Insane
 
gal's Avatar
 
I'll try it, but I dunno about the sweetener. I've been eating 2 fried eggs,
2 bacon strips and kidney beans for the last couple of years. This is probably a healthier alternative..
gal is offline  
Old 01-22-2004, 10:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: Orange County, California
Well, not sure how good it will be without the sweetener.
Plan9Senior is offline  
Old 01-22-2004, 04:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: The Kitchen
Quote:
Originally posted by Plan9
The yolk is where the cholesterol and fat is, which is why there are only 2 whole eggs and the other 6 eggs seperate the yolk and throw it away using only the whites.
You could also buy a carton of egg whites, use 4 eggs worth of that, and then throw in two normal eggs.
rockzilla is offline  
Old 01-22-2004, 04:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: Orange County, California
You could, but it is a lot cheaper to buy whole eggs... well at least if you go through them as much as I do .
Plan9Senior is offline  
Old 01-22-2004, 05:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Is In Love
 
Averett's Avatar
 
Location: I'm workin' on it
I never eat breakfast. Then again I've got horrible eating habits anyway. Its hard while living at home where I'm eating whatever my mom wants to make that day. Yeah, I know, thats a poor excuse....

But all those eggs! I'd get sick! Of course I'm guessing this is geared more towards a man..
__________________
Absence is to love what wind is to fire. It extinguishes the small, it enkindles the great.
Averett is offline  
Old 01-22-2004, 06:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Dubya
 
Location: VA
clarification: we're talking hard-boiled eggs here, right?
__________________
"In Iraq, no doubt about it, it's tough. It's hard work. It's incredibly hard. It's - and it's hard work. I understand how hard it is. I get the casualty reports every day. I see on the TV screens how hard it is. But it's necessary work. We're making progress. It is hard work."
Sparhawk is offline  
Old 01-22-2004, 07:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Boo
Leave me alone!
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Location: Alaska, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Plan9
Oops, Splenda is a non sugar sweetener. Nutrasweet would do just fine. I just prefer Splenda because it is the best tasting sweetener and has no Aspartame.
I fully concur. Not bad tasting at all.

Ever use egg subs?
__________________
Back button again, I must be getting old.
Boo is offline  
 

Tags
breakfast, idea

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:03 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54