Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > Interests > Tilted Motors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 07:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
A motorcycle license without a motorcycle?

I'm really confused about this. See, I don't know anyone that has a motorcycle, so I don't exactly know how to go about doing this.

With cars it's simple, you get a permit, find someone who can drive, learn how to drive, then go take the test. But I can't do the same with a motorcycle because I don't know anyone with one.

So people with motorcycle licenses, how did you go about getting yours?

ps. I'm from jersey if that makes a difference (dunno if they test differently)
One day, I will become Virtually Infamous.
mystic511 is offline  
Old 08-12-2003, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Location: Scotland
Is that Jersey the British island, or "Noo Joiseee..." in the Eastern US?

If it's the UK, then gaining a motorcycle licence is complicated to say the least. It depends on how old you are & what other driving entitlements (if any) you have.

Wherever you are, GET TRAINING!!! Open your "Yellow Pages" at "Motorcycle trainers" and contact one of them. They'll give you at least the basics in a safe environment (as required by law in some countries) and can guide you through the rest of the process to get a full driving licence.

miked10270 is offline  
Old 08-12-2003, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Trail bike. My parents got me one when I was 12, and I hacked around on it until I was 19. That gave me the basic handling/riding skills I need to take the road when I finally got around to getting a license at 29.

My wife's interested in learning to ride; we'll probbaly get a little 100cc trail bike for a few hundred bucks as a beater, haul it to places on a trailer, and let her practise there until she's ready to try the road.

Another option is hiring bikes from riding schools and get formal lessons.
rodgerd is offline  
Old 08-12-2003, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gentlemen Farmer
j8ear's Avatar
Location: Middle of nowhere, Jersey
In Maryland, you go to the MVA and get yourself a learners permit.

Most community colleges and learning annex's offer the MotorCycle Safety Foundation training course (bikes provided) for about 150 bucks or so, and upon graduation include the required MVA practical app and written testing to turn your learners permit into a full on Drivers License.

Yuo can go and take all the testing yourself on a friends bike too if you so choose. Cost is about the same, and you DO NOT get the insurance discount often provided for Motorcycle Safety Foundation Grads.
It's alot easier to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask for permission.
j8ear is offline  
Old 08-12-2003, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thanks for the info, I think motorcycle school is what I'm going to do.

And yea, i meant Noo Joisee.

Well, i found out that my friend's dad has a motorcycle license, so my friend is going to buy a beater bike, learn to ride, take the test and then give me the beater bike for free to use.

I'll probably still go to a motorcycle school for the insurance discount though.
One day, I will become Virtually Infamous.
mystic511 is offline  
Old 08-13-2003, 06:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
Cynthetiq's Avatar
Location: Manhattan, NY
motorcycle safety foundation...

they have a NJ location

I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 08-13-2003, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Location: Sarasota
In Florida you can take the written test and gain a temporary restricted motorcycle license good for a couple months. They you come back and take the riding test for the real thing.

I borrowed a small bike from the girl down the street to take my riding test. Not because I didn't have a bike, but because the DMV here refuses to follow state guidelines for the riding test. They are supposed to reset the cones for bikes over a certain wheelbase but won't and leave them very close to each other. The guy at the dealership where I bought my CBX *strongly* recommended borrowing a smaller bike versus trying to guide my inexperienced (with the CBX) ass through the tight cones on a big bike.

Looking back on it with years on the X under my belt I'm sure I could pass it but at the time it was probably a good thing to ride smaller/lighter.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, practice on something light light light.
bodypainter is offline  
Old 08-15-2003, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Location: Dreams
I am gonna get my bike lessons sooner or later. Where I live, I am just gonna go to the local Technical College although I am not sure if they supply bikes, I know a bunch of peeps I could borrow from.
I know not how I may seem to others, but to myself I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with. [Plato]
kalisto_911 is offline  
Old 08-18-2003, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Location: USA
Im in CA and I took a safety course....they supplied everything there all you had to bring was yourself....
Twist of the wrist
ducati999 is offline  
Old 08-19-2003, 06:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
spurt king
Location: Out of my mind
You can walk in and take a written test to get your "permit". In Missouri and kansas the permit allows you to ride a bike durning the day, no passengers and you must wear a helmet.

Then either take a Safety Class or just go and take the bike test. But I strongly suggest the classes.

The written is cake.
No signature at this time.
GSRIDER is offline  
Old 08-21-2003, 08:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Location: TX
Originally posted by Cynthetiq
motorcycle safety foundation...

they have a NJ location



"I live by a code of Honor, once you are on her, stay on her."
Gamefella is offline  
Old 08-21-2003, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
I stole my boyfriends TFP, hehe !!
RemyLebeau97's Avatar
Location: Galveston, TX
Go visit your local DMV and ask for information about obtaining your motorcycle license. Down here it's a 2 day course and the cost is 90 dollars.
RemyLebeau97 is offline  

license, motorcycle

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:27 AM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73