Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Philosophy


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2003, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
pinche vato
 
warrrreagl's Avatar
 
Location: backwater, Third World, land of cotton
Why are men shamed into controlling their sexuality?



I don't think it is a cognitive choice at all no matter how civilized we pretend to be.
__________________
Living is easy with eyes closed.

Last edited by warrrreagl; 07-31-2004 at 10:00 PM..
warrrreagl is offline  
Old 06-30-2003, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Modern Man
 
Location: West Michigan
Well in the interest of fairness aren't women forced to suppress their sexual desires for the fear of being dubbed a "slut"? Men have often been expected to be somewhat promiscuous (sp?) whereas women are scoffed at for it. One of those undying social pressures.
__________________
Lord, have mercy on my wicked soul
I wouldn't mistreat you baby, for my weight in gold.
-Son House, Death Letter Blues
Conclamo Ludus is offline  
Old 06-30-2003, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psycho
 
papermachesatan's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Re: Why are men shamed into controlling their sexuality?

Quote:
Originally posted by warrrreagl
Of course not. We accept menstruation as an unstoppable body force that is not a cognitive choice. However, if guys desire to look at other women, couldn't the same argument be made?

After all, nature made us this way, and we may pretend to turn it off and act sensible, but it's always there lurking and unstoppable.

I don't think it is a cognitive choice at all no matter how civilized we pretend to be.
No. Menstruation is an entirely involuntary function like your heart beating. While feeling sexual desire is uncontrollable, actions aren't. Looking at a girls ass, fucking someone, etc. etc. are actions. We can't control the desire to do the listed things but we have control over whether we do them or not.

It's called reason and it's why we dominate the planet.
papermachesatan is offline  
Old 06-30-2003, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cracking the Whip
 
Lebell's Avatar
 
Location: Sexymama's arms...
I would hope that individuals who enjoy the TFP can make the distinction between healthy sexuality (looking at other human beings and become sexually aroused) and unhealthy sexual behavior (having an affair behind your partners back).
__________________
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!
Lebell is offline  
Old 06-30-2003, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Cheshire Grin...
 
Location: An Aussie Outback
I'm gonna use that line on my GF next time she says something..
__________________
Can you see me grin grin grrriiiiinnnning?!
GoldenOuroboros is offline  
Old 06-30-2003, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: Chicagoland
Men are _not_ shamed into controlling their sexuality.

A guy that respects his woman does not drool over other women in front of her. He has enough brain matter to control his urge to mate - just as he controls the other urge that is testosterone driven - violence.
Double D is offline  
Old 06-30-2003, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Follower of Ner'Zhul
 
RelaX's Avatar
 
Location: Netherlands
So men should change? You don't accept them as they are? My dad always has a saying I quite agree with "You work up an appetite outside, but you eat at home". Sorry if it sounds strange, it's translated from dutch.
Off course, if you start turning your head while you're with your g/f... that's just asking for trouble, but I don't see how it is strange for a guy to appreciate the female beauty when he sees it.
Personally I like to see a woman just like I like to see a painting, it is beautifull, doesn't mean I want it in my house.
__________________
The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents.
- Nathaniel Borenstein
RelaX is offline  
Old 06-30-2003, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Loser
 
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Quote:
Men are _not_ shamed into controlling their sexuality.

A guy that respects his woman does not drool over other women in front of her.
Or else what? He's disrespectful? He doesn't find his woman attractive? I hope you're not equating simple looks at attractive passersby to "drooling". I wouldn't be caught dead with a woman so insecure or unwilling to accept more realistic and rational opinions over a momentous glance.

Quote:
He has enough brain matter to control his urge to mate - just as he controls the other urge that is testosterone driven - violence.
I disagree that violence is "driven" by testosterone, but if it is, who weilds the control? The man as you claim in the former part, or testosterone?

Desires/urges/thoughts are all private and should be held as valid in a relationship without value. They are just thoughts, they are not secrecy or lies or deceit.

People shouldn't feel pressured to awkwardly ignore attractive passersby or feel restricted in what they do with their partners. I feel that jumping to conclusions or not accepting all thoughts, feelings, and desires of your partner as valid is a red flag that something could be done to improve the security of the relationship.

People in relationships: there are people more attractive than you and your SO, period. Deal with it. You can act apprehensive, offended, ignored, hurt, whatever when it happens, but just know you don't have to and that relationships and love and in a separate league than attractive passersby. As I saw earlier this morning on this board, (ideally) you're not with someone because of their looks.
butthead is offline  
Old 06-30-2003, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: Chicagoland
Quote:
Originally posted by butthead
I hope you're not equating simple looks at attractive passersby to "drooling".


Drooling= ogling =more than a momentary glance
Quote:
I disagree that violence is "driven" by testosterone, but if it is, who weilds the control? The man as you claim in the former part, or testosterone?
A man controls how he reacts to the surge in the hormone in his body, by using his cognitive abilities.

Quote:
People shouldn't feel pressured to awkwardly ignore attractive passersby or feel restricted in what they do with their partners. I feel that jumping to conclusions or not accepting all thoughts, feelings, and desires of your partner as valid is a red flag that something could be done to improve the security of the relationship.
In a commited relationship, one has chosen *a* partner. If one wants to not feel *pressured to awkardly ignore attractive passerby,* one should not be in a commited relationship. It's pretty simple.

Appreciation of beauty - aesthetics, is one thing, but it is
classless, to *ogle* women. It objectifies them - making them less than human beings.
Quote:
People in relationships: there are people more attractive than you and your SO, period. Deal with it. You can act apprehensive, offended, ignored, hurt, whatever when it happens, but just know you don't have to and that relationships and love and in a separate league than attractive passersby.
I assume you meant that relationships & love *are* in a separate league than attractive passerby, but you seem to be saying that someone in a *love relationship* should be able to include attractive passerby. This is contradictory.
Double D is offline  
Old 06-30-2003, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Know Where!
 
MacGnG's Avatar
 
when in mixed company i try to keep the *ogling* to a minimum, well depends on who the mixed company is lol
but yea at times its easier to quickly glance and no one notices but other times you just cant.


but if your in a relationship, i think that you should do your best not to, but also shouldnt be punished if you do, by accident if u are actually trying not to.
MacGnG is offline  
Old 06-30-2003, 11:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: Chicagoland
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGnG
but if your in a relationship, i think that you should do your best not to, but also shouldnt be punished if you do, by accident if u are actually trying not to.
Agreed. Insecurity can mess up relationships. And women are attracted to men that aren't their partners, too. I think we are just more subtle about it sometimes
Double D is offline  
Old 07-01-2003, 12:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Eccentric insomniac
 
Slims's Avatar
 
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by Double D
Men are _not_ shamed into controlling their sexuality.

A guy that respects his woman does not drool over other women in front of her. He has enough brain matter to control his urge to mate - just as he controls the other urge that is testosterone driven - violence.
I disagree. I think that your guys can care about their SO enough to not flaunt the fact that they notice other women, but that doesn't change the fact that they notice.

Besides, would you rather be with a man because he refuses to consider the possibility that he might be more interested in another person, or because he looks at the competition and decides that he still wants you the most?

I think that most guys want to bang every thing with two legs and a nice rack. The fact that we don't is a testament to how much we care about our committment to our SO's.
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible." Seven Pillars of Wisdom, T.E. Lawrence
Slims is offline  
Old 07-01-2003, 12:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: Chicagoland
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg700
I disagree. I think that your guys can care about their SO enough to not flaunt the fact that they notice other women, but that doesn't change the fact that they notice.

Besides, would you rather be with a man because he refuses to consider the possibility that he might be more interested in another person, or because he looks at the competition and decides that he still wants you the most?

I think that most guys want to bang every thing with two legs and a nice rack. The fact that we don't is a testament to how much we care about our committment to our SO's.
How are we disagreeing then? Semantics (flaunt v. drool)?
Double D is offline  
Old 07-01-2003, 06:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: St Paul, MN
We are drawing a distinction between maybe involuntary glancing at an attractive someone and pulling it out in public and beating one off, right? Noticing someone's sexiness is natural, obsessing about it can be unhealthy. People need to understand that, and get over their insecurities.
CrotchrocketSlm is offline  
Old 07-01-2003, 08:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fast'n'Bulbous
 
Location: Australia, Perth
men are genuinly at a disadvantage here, because a womens body and form is more beautiful than a mans body, in that a male's body is utilitarian. Which kinda goes back to the hunter/gather males and nurturing/mothering of females when we were primates. Although i know that, that is not fact! just what i think, which may be convoluted from a hetrosexual male...

Back to menstration, i see that an erection would be the male equilivant of menstration, sorta. I think both are unstoppable human functions for both sexes, but people seem to be arguing over how the male one is derived. Do you think males act any different if they have an erection? i don't think i do, unless i am acting in a way to cover it up!
generally there is the idea that females are less resaonble or more moody during there post menstral cycle. maybe i've gone off the topic a bit...

As for males looking at other women, it seems that the main things is the excessiveness of the looking. In that there is ogling and also just looking, to me one is more excessive and less respectful to women. That is to say, i feel i can look at a women and appreciate her beauty, without wanting to primarily sleep with her, but just appreciate it. I also don't agree (doesn't mean i don't sometimes do it myself though) with the objectifying of women and reducing them to tits and ass, however for males it is extremely difficult and so i kinda agree with greg700 in that, as unreasonable as it sounds, girls should appreciate that guys don't want to bang everything in sight.
Sleepyjack is offline  
Old 07-01-2003, 08:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
pinche vato
 
warrrreagl's Avatar
 
Location: backwater, Third World, land of cotton
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleepyjack
I also don't agree (doesn't mean i don't sometimes do it myself though) with the objectifying of women and reducing them to tits and ass, however for males it is extremely difficult and so i kinda agree with greg700 in that, as unreasonable as it sounds, girls should appreciate that guys don't want to bang everything in sight.
Wasn't it Larry Miller who said that the only thing stopping men from screwing absolutely everything (human, inhuman, animate, or inanimate) is the fear of shame from their mates?

He also said that if women EVER knew what we were thinking, they would never stop slapping us.
__________________
Living is easy with eyes closed.
warrrreagl is offline  
Old 07-01-2003, 09:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
SiN
strangelove
 
SiN's Avatar
 
Location: ...more here than there...
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg700
Besides, would you rather be with a man because he refuses to consider the possibility that he might be more interested in another person, or because he looks at the competition and decides that he still wants you the most?
not exactly on topic, but you've got a very good point that i think all women should think about.

myself included.

thanks.
__________________
- + - GiRLie GeeK - + -
01110010011011110110111101110100001000000110110101100101
Therell be days/When Ill stray/I may appear to be/Constantly out of reach/I give in to sin/Because I like to practise what I preach
SiN is offline  
Old 07-01-2003, 11:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
Psycho
 
I can honestly say that my wife has directed me to specifically look at another woman's large breasts in a restaurant.

I still don't know what I did to deserve her.
erion is offline  
Old 07-01-2003, 11:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Eccentric insomniac
 
Slims's Avatar
 
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by Double D
How are we disagreeing then? Semantics (flaunt v. drool)?
oops, your right. I wrote that one after getting back from a long night at the bar.
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible." Seven Pillars of Wisdom, T.E. Lawrence
Slims is offline  
Old 07-02-2003, 08:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Loser
 
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Quote:
Drooling= ogling =more than a momentary glance
Typically in my experience, passersby don't stick around too long.

Anyway, what is the consequence?

Quote:
In a commited relationship, one has chosen *a* partner.
You do have the freedom to choose a multi-partner lovestyle and not have to be upset or feel awkward about attractive passersby.

Quote:
If one wants to not feel *pressured to awkardly ignore attractive passerby,* one should not be in a commited relationship. It's pretty simple.
Why is this?

Quote:
I assume you meant that relationships & love *are* in a separate league than attractive passerby, but you seem to be saying that someone in a *love relationship* should be able to include attractive passerby
No, I'm saying one needn't feel threatened or hurt by an SO looking at attractive strangers because the relationship is most likely founded on sturdier ground than appearances.

I'm guessing the root is insecurity, but if it isn't please explain.

How is this any different than "ogling" attractive people on television and in movies?

Quote:
Agreed. Insecurity can mess up relationships. And women are attracted to men that aren't their partners, too. I think we are just more subtle about it sometimes
Why should person 1 be punished or seen as disrespecting for not catering to the insecurity of person 2? Why not just work through the insecurity?
butthead is offline  
Old 07-02-2003, 10:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Addict
 
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by warrrreagl
He also said that if women EVER knew what we were thinking, they would never stop slapping us.
Oh man. Do you really think that could be the reason?
mtsgsd is offline  
Old 07-02-2003, 11:20 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: Chicagoland
Quote:
Originally posted by butthead

No, I'm saying one needn't feel threatened or hurt by an SO looking at attractive strangers because the relationship is most likely founded on sturdier ground than appearances.

I'm guessing the root is insecurity, but if it isn't please explain
Though insecurity may be an issue for some, the *root of it* is respect or lack thereof. My belief is that if a man is in a committed, i.e. monogamous relationship with a woman, that he shows said woman the respect and courtesy of not making obviously overt glances of a sexual nature at any other woman than the partner he is in the company of.
Quote:
How is this any different than "ogling" attractive people on television and in movies?
ogle: ( Merrriam-Webster) to look at in a flirtatious way.
The difference is that ogling is interactive. TV & movie watching is not.

Quote:
Why should person 1 be punished or seen as disrespecting for not catering to the insecurity of person 2? Why not just work through the insecurity?
Why not just break up with the um, person that doesn't appreciate his partner enough to respect her? He doesn't have to wear blinders, for goodness sake, just show a bit of awareness for the feelings of the one he is with.

Any man that is a slave to his hormones to the point that he can't refrain from overtly admiring women that are most likely out of his league whilst in the company of his woman, failing to appreciate the qualities of the one he has chosen to be with, is not evolved enough for my company and needs to grow the ---- up.
Double D is offline  
Old 07-02-2003, 11:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: Pennsytuckia
I treat my wife the way I want her to treat me. If I saw her looking at a guy like she wanted to jump on him right there it would crush me. With that in mind I never more than glance at another woman when with my wife. Like a lot of you have said, it is a respect issue. Show some.
Darkblack is offline  
Old 07-03-2003, 01:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Loser
 
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Quote:
The difference is that ogling is interactive. TV & movie watching is not.
Oh, I'm sorry, from the original post I decided that this was about having the desire to look at attractive strangers, not ogling. (And yeah, I knew what it meant, but I thought it might have been an exaggeration, since I felt it was quite clear this wasn't about flat out "drooling" or flirting. "However, if guys desire to look at other women.")

If it's an active thing and more than just an innocent, automatic look, then I think it might be disrespectful. I don't really understand what this "desire" thing is all about, but I know my eyes find attractive appearing people seemingly automatically.

Quote:
Any man that is a slave to his hormones to the point that he can't refrain from overtly admiring women that are most likely out of his league whilst in the company of his woman, failing to appreciate the qualities of the one he has chosen to be with, is not evolved enough for my company and needs to grow the ---- up.
Who said anything about not appreciating qualities or even overtly admiring, for that matter. Maybe it is just semantics, but when I read the original post nothing similiar to flaunting/drooling/whatever came to mind. I thought it was just looks, which people some people seem to get upset about. Looking at someone doesn't necessarily mean interaction more akin to ogling.

I apologize for the confusion.

Last edited by butthead; 07-03-2003 at 07:15 AM..
butthead is offline  
Old 07-04-2003, 06:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned
 
Location: Canada
Sexual activity, according to Carl Sagan (Read: The Dragons of Eden) is handled by a portion of the brain known as the R-Complex. This portion deals with the most primitive biological functions necessary for the survival of a species: breathing, eating, fighting, fleeing, and sexual reproduction.

Since sexual activity is directed innately by the R-Complex, we would normally have no control over it....Its a trait necessary for survival.

However, Another portion of the brain, the Neocortex, came much later on the evolutionary scale. (If you believe in evolution).
The Neocortex is present in most mammalian creatures, and introduces things such as caring, emotions, self-control, advanced intelligence, etc.
It is possible to muffle some R-Complex demands through the neo-cortex. The most prominent example would be control of sexual demands. Of course, this is extremely difficult for most people, since you are going against an ancient evolutionary process that is part of us.

Whether its a "cognitive choice" or not depends on the individual. We cannot compare this to menstruation: which is a completely different bodily function. Menstruation has nothing to do with your cognitive abilities: its simply a vital biological process, like breathing and eating, that keeps a female's uterus in good condition.

In the end, sexual desire is a completely cognitive function. Your brain instructs your body to respond a certain way. Whether it is controllable or not is a gray area.
scope is offline  
Old 07-06-2003, 06:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
Once upon a time...
 
Re: Why are men shamed into controlling their sexuality?

Quote:
Originally posted by warrrreagl
However, if guys desire to look at other women, couldn't the same argument be made?

After all, nature made us this way, and we may pretend to turn it off and act sensible, but it's always there lurking and unstoppable.

I don't think it is a cognitive choice at all no matter how civilized we pretend to be.
Frankly, I disagree. I am capable of controlling my sexual urge, the same as I control my violent or greedy urge.

The fact that we are societal and organised, and the creation of a behavioural system which is not natural means that men and women (yes, women can be aggressive, in fact this is a leading problem in modern society) must behave.

The menstruation thing is evidence of the key problem with modern western society (esp, english language areas). The theory that a man is nothing more than a walking sexual organ is frankly debasing and idiotic. If I were to refer to women purely as devices for creating children, I would be pilloried.

Human self control is a voluntary response. Why should we not give in to each and every hind-brain driven violence? Because we have transcended that in a conscious manner.
__________________
--
Man Alone
=======
Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary.
manalone is offline  
Old 07-06-2003, 01:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
don't ignore this-->
 
bermuDa's Avatar
 
Location: CA
there's a fine line between repressed behaviour and inappropriate behaviour. Just looking at some other girl is only inappropriate when your lady is standing next to you, and should be repressed.
__________________
I am the very model of a moderator gentleman.
bermuDa is offline  
Old 07-06-2003, 05:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
Tilted
 
what is wrong with acknowleging the attractiveness of another person?

If you are in a relationship and you are looking around, how is this "bad"?

It seems to me that the ones who feel that this behaviour is wrong, are the ones with inferiority/insecurity problems.

IF you are in a committed relationship, the fact that you have looked at another woman/man and admired their form is incosequential compared to the overall relationship you are in (well hopefully). Compare it to being on the worlds biggest rollercoaster, and on the other hand having to pull up your sock.

Use these rational abilities you are talking about to control your insecurities, rather than apportion blame to the SO in your relationship.

(as an aside : my SO point out good looking women to me, and we compare notes.)
Otaku is offline  
Old 07-06-2003, 07:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Insane
 
no matter how civilized we claim to be, the male of every species is attracted to the younger, 'prettier" girls for one reason only. to procreate and make the species last. to deny nature is to deny yourself
rodimus is offline  
Old 07-06-2003, 07:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Insane
 
forgot to add that i meant looking is all subconcious to some extent. acting on it is a show of how civilized we are, but is still driven even if only a little bit, by the subconscious mind
rodimus is offline  
Old 07-07-2003, 04:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: Various places in the Midwest, all depending on when I'm posting.
Amen to respect! A natural, healthy desire is one thing but true love comes when you "forsake all others." When you're in love, you don't even want anyone else.
__________________
Look out for numbers two and up and they'll look out for you.
Killconey is offline  
Old 10-03-2004, 10:55 AM   #32 (permalink)
Upright
 
Quote:
Though insecurity may be an issue for some, the *root of it* is respect or lack thereof. My belief is that if a man is in a committed, i.e. monogamous relationship with a woman, that he shows said woman the respect and courtesy of not making obviously overt glances of a sexual nature at any other woman than the partner he is in the company of.
The problem with these arguments are predicated on the assumption that people are all the same. They aren't. Not every woman feels jealous or "disrespected" when men look at other women, and an excellent case in point is my ex girlfriend; she's bisexual and often emailed me pictures of women she thought were exceptionally hot.

Of course, you might say that this is just an isolated exception to the rule that most people feel the same way and want the same things, but it isn't, Double D. As another example, you define "committed" relationships as "monogamous" ones, but polygamy is perfectly acceptible throughout much of the world. For instance, "A survey of over six thousand women, ranging in age from 15 to 59, conducted in the second largest city in Nigeria showed that 60 percent of these women would be pleased if their husbands took another wife. Only 23 percent expressed anger at the idea of sharing with another wife." (From http://www.polygamy.com/Islam/Myth-Reality-Polygamy.htm )

I hope you don't think I'm picking on you, Double D, as the idea that everybody wants the same things and feels the same way is fairly widespread:

Quote:
When you're in love, you don't even want anyone else.
Killconey, are you sure that when I'm in love, I don't even want anyone else? I think you should be very careful before making statements like that! It's generally wiser to speak for yourself. I can believe that when you're in love, you don't want anyone else, but I've been in love with more than one woman at a time, and I've known women who have been in love with more than one man at a time. Not everyone is the same.

The most important thing in any relationship is to be flexible for your partner, listen to what they want from you, and tailor your behavior to the relationship. If I were with someone who found profanity unnerving, I'd try not to swear around her. If I were with someone who was insecure or got jealous easilly, I wouldn't look at other women around her.

In my current relationship, she likes to spend more time alone together than I would ordinarily, so I do my best to make time for her; and I really don't like passive women, so my girlfriend makes an effort to make decisions every now and again. Specifically regarding the subject of looking at other women, I certainly don't stop myself from looking at women when we're out. In fact, we're always pointing out attractive members of the opposite sex to one another. She certainly hasn't complained yet - although she does sometimes question my taste in men!


--Mark
Nachtwolf is offline  
Old 10-03-2004, 09:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyjack
men are genuinly at a disadvantage here, because a womens body and form is more beautiful than a mans body
Yea, wrong. Beauty and form are cultural constructions. Male bodies are as much more beautiful than female bodies as red is a better color than blue. Quote Plato and die: the Greeks found boybodies to be the apex of hotness.

The only reason men find women's bodies more attractive than other men's is that they are told to do so. And don't play the procreation card. Because if consummation were necessary for sexual pleasure, only coital sex would be pleasing, and we all know there are various other methods that offer greater and lesser degrees of enjoyment.
__________________
Never anything witty.
livingfossil is offline  
Old 10-04-2004, 01:56 AM   #34 (permalink)
Insane
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingfossil
Yea, wrong. Beauty and form are cultural constructions. Male bodies are as much more beautiful than female bodies as red is a better color than blue. Quote Plato and die: the Greeks found boybodies to be the apex of hotness. The only reason men find women's bodies more attractive than other men's is that they are told to do so.
If that is the case how come we have homosexuals now? No one told them it was the right thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingfossil
And don't play the procreation card. Because if consummation were necessary for sexual pleasure, only coital sex would be pleasing, and we all know there are various other methods that offer greater and lesser degrees of enjoyment.
I suppose we'd have an internal switch that turns off the nerves in our genitals when we arent making babies.
Sexual attraction and sexual pleasure are simply functions that ensure the continuation of our species.
adysav is offline  
Old 10-04-2004, 10:20 AM   #35 (permalink)
I change
 
ARTelevision's Avatar
 
Location: USA
I'd say that if required to name the single most deleterious force in human history, I'd utter one word: "testosterone"
__________________
create evolution
ARTelevision is offline  
Old 10-04-2004, 11:08 AM   #36 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysav
If that is the case how come we have homosexuals now? No one told them it was the right thing to do.
We've 'had' homosexuals since the beginning of time. Anyway, if you doubt that american culture indoctrinates an ideal of 'beauty' that is feminine, I suggest you pay closer attention to any media you come across: ads, movies, talk-shows, &c.

If you mean, 'if everyone is told what to see as beautiful, then how come there are homosexuals?' then you can look at a couple ways: not everyone does what their told; there is a strong subcurrent of homosexual energy running through the entire western tradition, more than enough to show people the way to homosexual pleasures. This is neither a good or a bad thing. It simply is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysav
I suppose we'd have an internal switch that turns off the nerves in our genitals when we arent making babies.
Sexual attraction and sexual pleasure are simply functions that ensure the continuation of our species.
I don't know exactly what you mean by this in relation to what I said. Perhaps that the reason we developed sexual pleasure as a species is to spur us to procreate? I am simply stating that procreation is not necessary for this pleasure, so to argue against homosexual intercourse on a basis of 'natural selection' is as absurd as arguing against masturbation, oral sex, &c. If all that we should use to select out behaviors is that which conduces evolution, then all we ought to do is eat and fuck. If that's all that's necessary, there's no point in further arguing this rather extraneous point.
__________________
Never anything witty.
livingfossil is offline  
Old 10-04-2004, 04:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
Pissing in the cornflakes
 
Ustwo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTelevision
I'd say that if required to name the single most deleterious force in human history, I'd utter one word: "testosterone"

Without it there would be no human history

Now as for the shamed into controlling ones sexuality, the trick of course is to marry well (or never marry hehe).

It doesn't bother my wife if I look, hell she will look with me, and in the right circumstances it doesn't matter if I touch either.

Our jealousies and social structure are part of our evolution the same as our eye color. They serve a purpose in reproduction which may not always be good for the species but is good for the individual. If you get jealous when your mate has sex with another it increases your chance that your children will be your own and your genes will move on. If everyone else didn't care and only you did, in the long run your children may well outbreed the others (you are having sex with their women but only you have sex with yours, therefore you may have more children in each generation, as will your children if they have the gene).

Women can have the same jealousies (to a lesser extent though) as the more children you have with other women, the less there is for her children, and the less chance they will survive (don't forget we are talking old school here .

Humans have not 'evolved' for a modern society, yet, we are still basically hunter gatherers at the basic levels.

Perhaps in some distant future, in some time where birth control was 100% effective and STD's are a thing of the past the benefits of 'social sex' will outweigh the old genetic jealousies and everything will be different. Some people are already there (swingers anyone) but as a whole, we are not there yet.
__________________
Agents of the enemies who hold office in our own government, who attempt to eliminate our "freedoms" and our "right to know" are posting among us, I fear.....on this very forum. - host

Obama - Know a Man by the friends he keeps.
Ustwo is offline  
Old 10-04-2004, 05:46 PM   #38 (permalink)
I change
 
ARTelevision's Avatar
 
Location: USA
Ustwo:
"Without it there would be no human history"

Understood.
To me, that is the eternal paradox of our eros/thanatos-driven psyches.
__________________
create evolution
ARTelevision is offline  
Old 10-05-2004, 12:15 AM   #39 (permalink)
Insensative Fuck.
 
Location: Boon towns of Ohio
Hmmm when I first read this thread, I thought that he meant, "Are men shamed into being heterosexual even if they may not be"

If that's what this is about, yes, I think you have to be a strong individual to outly be gay.



If it's about the bologna of being a hunter/sex driven/violent/beer drinker... then No. It's not that hard to be who you want to be.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crompsin
Menoman is my hero. He masturbates with Brillo pads. And likes it.
Menoman is offline  
Old 10-08-2004, 12:42 AM   #40 (permalink)
Insane
 
tiberry's Avatar
 
Location: Location, Location!
This is almost a "What's wrong with Polygamy or Polyamory" thread. From the larger perspective: What's wrong with having sexual intercourse with someone other that the "one you're with"?

Why must this action be viewed as a sign of "disrespect" or someone not having the "good judgement" not to be a "slave to their hormones"?

Can anyone pose some substantial arguments against this without using moral or religious grounds?
__________________
My life's work is to bridge the gap between that which is perceived by the mind and that which is quantifiable by words and numbers.
tiberry is offline  
 

Tags
controlling, men, sexuality, shamed

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360