Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Philosophy


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: Florida
Favorite Contradictions

God is an atheist.

Faith is "belief in things that aren't based in fact" and since God knows everything, he can't have faith.

And, because he already the highest power, he doesn't believe in a high power.

And so, God is an atheist.





" But would I be a good Messiah with my low self-esteem?
If I don't believe in myself would that be blasphemy?" - Bloodhound Gang "Hell Yeah"
Unright is offline  
Old 10-02-2005, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Addict
 
politicophile's Avatar
 
Doesn't work. I agree that God can't have faith that he exists. However, the reason that he can't have faith is that he already knows factually of his existence.

Secondly, it does not follow from the fact that God is the highest power that he doesn't believe in the highest power. To the contrary, he believes in himself (through facts, remember?) and thus believes in God...

Still funny, but it doesn't work out in the end...

Question for you: Can God create a rock so big that he can't lift it?
__________________
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
politicophile is offline  
Old 10-02-2005, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy
 
God has 10 little rules- if you break them he'll send you to this horrible burning place full of torture, death, pain, and destruction. You'll be there screaming, crying, and burning until the end of time.

But... he loves you.

It's a paraphrase of a standup routine I saw George Carlain do on TV last night.
Robaggio is offline  
Old 10-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mad Philosopher
 
asaris's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
There is no God, but the universe exists.
__________________
"Die Deutschen meinen, daß die Kraft sich in Härte und Grausamkeit offenbaren müsse, sie unterwerfen sich dann gerne und mit Bewunderung:[...]. Daß es Kraft giebt in der Milde und Stille, das glauben sie nicht leicht."

"The Germans believe that power must reveal itself in hardness and cruelty and then submit themselves gladly and with admiration[...]. They do not believe readily that there is power in meekness and calm."

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
asaris is offline  
Old 10-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
zen_tom
Guest
 
Intelligent Design.
 
Old 10-02-2005, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_tom
Intelligent Design.
You are my new favorite person zen_tom. That just made my day.
Robaggio is offline  
Old 10-05-2005, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
<3 TFP
 
xepherys's Avatar
 
Location: 17TLH2445607250
human intelligence?

I'm starting to wonder... :-/
xepherys is offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 04:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
On the lam
 
rsl12's Avatar
 
Location: northern va
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unright
God is an atheist.

Faith is "belief in things that aren't based in fact" and since God knows everything, he can't have faith.

And, because he already the highest power, he doesn't believe in a high power.

And so, God is an atheist.
Thanks for sharing. I like interesting contradictions; sadly, I don't find this one to be particularly so. Your argument depends on the following definition:

Athiests don't have faith in a power higher than themselves.

The argument falls apart if you use a more common-sense, less awkward definition:

Athiests don't believe in God.
__________________
oh baby oh baby, i like gravy.
rsl12 is offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 04:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
On the lam
 
rsl12's Avatar
 
Location: northern va
Here's one of my favorites: Curry's paradox.

Abelard: "If I'm not mistaken, then Santa Claus exists."
Eloise: "I agree: if you are not mistaken then Santa Claus exists."
Abelard: "You agree: what I said was correct."
Eloise: "Yes."
Abelard: "Then I am not mistaken."
Eloise: "True."
Abelard: "If I am not mistaken, then Santa Claus exists. I am not mistaken. Therefore, Santa Claus exists."
__________________
oh baby oh baby, i like gravy.
rsl12 is offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 07:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
<3 TFP
 
xepherys's Avatar
 
Location: 17TLH2445607250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unright
God is an atheist.

Faith is "belief in things that aren't based in fact" and since God knows everything, he can't have faith.

And, because he already the highest power, he doesn't believe in a high power.

And so, God is an atheist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam Webster Dictionary
Main Entry: athe·ist
Pronunciation: 'A-thE-ist
Function: noun
: one who believes that there is no deity
So, faith has nothing to do with atheism. God would, in fact, understand his place as deity, and possibly believe in deity greater than himself (if such a thing does indeed exist). Therefore, a god or goddess cannot be an atheist by definition.
xepherys is offline  
Old 10-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Upright
 
As children most of us are told Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and God exist.

As adults we are told Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy don't exist, but God still does.
sol1301982 is offline  
Old 10-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Upright
 
What about this "paradox" of sorts...

Are God's commands morally right because he said them

OR

Are things morally right and therefore God said them.



Also: God is the supreme being of all "Good" qualities. He possesses a maximum of each quality. This would include Mercy, Justice, Loyalty and Trust etc etc

If God has infinite Mercy, how can he act with infinite justice towards the enemies of the people to whom he is loyal without breaking their trust?

Or basically, too many people give God the "max" in qualities that are mutually exclusive.
__________________
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you

-Friedrich Nietzsche
RedbeardUH is offline  
Old 10-11-2005, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Upright
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl12
Here's one of my favorites: Curry's paradox.

Abelard: "If I'm not mistaken, then Santa Claus exists."
Eloise: "I agree: if you are not mistaken then Santa Claus exists."
Abelard: "You agree: what I said was correct."
Eloise: "Yes."
Abelard: "Then I am not mistaken."
Eloise: "True."
Abelard: "If I am not mistaken, then Santa Claus exists. I am not mistaken. Therefore, Santa Claus exists."

There is no paradox here. Just an illusion of bad grammar.

The original "If I'm not mistaken [about the existence of Santa Clause], then SC exists"

The second "Then I am not mistaken [about my logical inferrences.]
__________________
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you

-Friedrich Nietzsche
RedbeardUH is offline  
Old 10-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junkie
 
filtherton's Avatar
 
Location: In the land of ice and snow.
Does the set of all sets that don't contain themselves contain itself? If it does than it can't and if it doesn't than it has to.
filtherton is offline  
Old 10-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mad Philosopher
 
asaris's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
That's why set theory says that all sets have to have a range
__________________
"Die Deutschen meinen, daß die Kraft sich in Härte und Grausamkeit offenbaren müsse, sie unterwerfen sich dann gerne und mit Bewunderung:[...]. Daß es Kraft giebt in der Milde und Stille, das glauben sie nicht leicht."

"The Germans believe that power must reveal itself in hardness and cruelty and then submit themselves gladly and with admiration[...]. They do not believe readily that there is power in meekness and calm."

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
asaris is offline  
Old 10-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
©
 
StanT's Avatar
 
Location: Colorado
military intelligence

feminine logic (ya, just shoot me now)
StanT is offline  
Old 10-13-2005, 03:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl12
Thanks for sharing. I like interesting contradictions; sadly, I don't find this one to be particularly so. Your argument depends on the following definition:

Athiests don't have faith in a power higher than themselves.

The argument falls apart if you use a more common-sense, less awkward definition:

Athiests don't believe in God.
Essentially, you are correct. I found this online not too long ago...

The notion that under a paticular definition of atheism, God could be defined as an atheist just struck me as really funny. So I thought I'd share..

Upon reflection, the Tilted Humor or Tildted Nonsense may be been a better forum, but I regret nothing!
Unright is offline  
Old 10-13-2005, 04:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
"I'm sorry. What was the question?"
 
Daoust's Avatar
 
Location: Paradise Regained
The TFP is anti-hate, anti-intolerant, anti-homophobic, anti-genderist, anti-racist but not anti-Christian.
__________________
I have faith in a few things - divinity and grace
But even when I'm on my knees I know the devil preys
Daoust is offline  
Old 10-13-2005, 05:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust
The TFP is anti-hate, anti-intolerant, anti-homophobic, anti-genderist, anti-racist but not anti-Christian.
Is this directed towards me? Are you suggesting in a roundabout way that I'm anti-Christian? On what grounds? Humour?

I'm sorry if I may be wandering into left field, but I'm baffled as to how to interpret your post.
Unright is offline  
Old 10-13-2005, 06:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lover - Protector - Teacher
 
Jinn's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, WA
Basic Quantum Theory is my favorite contradiction (more specifically, the wave-particle duality that it relies on..)

In order to travel through a vacuum, such as space, a particle must have a transmission medium (such as air or water). Since light does indeed travel through the vacuum of space, it must be waveform (creating its own medium).

However, light must be a particle because it is able to pass through the 'double-slit' as only a particle can.
__________________
"I'm typing on a computer of science, which is being sent by science wires to a little science server where you can access it. I'm not typing on a computer of philosophy or religion or whatever other thing you think can be used to understand the universe because they're a poor substitute in the role of understanding the universe which exists independent from ourselves." - Willravel
Jinn is offline  
Old 10-13-2005, 06:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lover - Protector - Teacher
 
Jinn's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, WA
There are tons of "begging the question" contradictions out there, and considering the religious tone this post has taken, the most common is:

If God created everything, who created God?
__________________
"I'm typing on a computer of science, which is being sent by science wires to a little science server where you can access it. I'm not typing on a computer of philosophy or religion or whatever other thing you think can be used to understand the universe because they're a poor substitute in the role of understanding the universe which exists independent from ourselves." - Willravel
Jinn is offline  
Old 10-13-2005, 07:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Leto's Avatar
 
Location: The Danforth
Jinn, maybe you can answer this to me: what is fire? a gas? a solid? is it quanta that behaves like a wave?

i look at a candle flame, and it appears to have substance inthat I can move it with my breath or displace it with my fingers, yet it appears to be only light and heat. is it just energy?
Leto is offline  
Old 10-13-2005, 08:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
zen_tom
Guest
 
Leto, it's a process.

It's (in the case of say, a candle flame) the complex process of wax (solid CnH2n+2 where n is a number between 22 and 27, but basically a connected bunch of Carbon and Hydrogen atoms) being heated through the liquid phase(molten wax), until it becomes so hot, it vapourises (gas) and is able to chemically react with the oxygen (another gas) in the air, giving off light and heat (energy) to form CO2, some soot (C), maybe a little water and some other trace compounds.

The part you see and feel, the light and the heat, are the energy being given off by an exothermic reaction
 
Old 10-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
President Rick
 
mrklixx's Avatar
 
Location: location location
God created everything

therefore

God created evil

And

God doesn't create things by "mistake"

so

It was his will to create evil

therefore

If I do evil, I am doing God's will.
__________________
This post is content. If you don't like it then you are not content. Or perhaps just incontinent.

This is not a link - Do not click here

I hate animated avatars.
mrklixx is offline  
 

Tags
contradictions, favorite

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:14 AM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360