Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Politics


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #81 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
someone is saying that sarah palin "hit the ball out of the park" and that "everyone should rent mr. smith goes to washington" because "palin is a female jimmy stewart" so therefore...


therefore..





um..
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #82 (permalink)
Thank You Jesus
 
reconmike's Avatar
 
Location: Twilight Zone
Biden the car salesman, wonder where he got that from, I can put you in this 500,000 dollar house on your 10k a year salary, and if you can't manage the payments the government will cover it for you,

Oh yeah rah rah go team!!!.
__________________
Where is Darwin when ya need him?
reconmike is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #83 (permalink)
change is hard.
 
thespian86's Avatar
 
Location: the green room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachboy View Post
someone is saying that sarah palin "hit the ball out of the park" and that "everyone should rent mr. smith goes to washington" because "palin is a female jimmy stewart" so therefore...


therefore..





um..
I will admit that she was a lot better then I expected her to be. Even so, she was still sub par. She had her moments though. Biden was still pretty tried and true.
__________________
EX: Whats new?
ME: I officially love coffee more then you now.
EX: uh...
ME: So, not much.
thespian86 is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #84 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Jozrael's Avatar
 
Can someone please refer me to where I can do a post-debate poll like the last one?
Jozrael is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #85 (permalink)
Please touch this.
 
Halx's Avatar
 
Owner/Admin
Location: Manhattan
Palin being better than I was expecting doesn't make her good. That's all I have to say.
__________________
You have found this post informative.
-The Administrator
[Don't Feed The Animals]
Halx is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #86 (permalink)
More Than You Expect
 
Manic_Skafe's Avatar
 
Location: Queens
Anyone have a link to a full video of the debates? I had class tonight and I can't seem to catch any spin free reverberations via the tube.
__________________
"Porn is a zoo of exotic animals that becomes boring upon ownership." -Nersesian
Manic_Skafe is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #87 (permalink)
Getting it.
 
Charlatan's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: Lion City
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachboy View Post
someone is saying that sarah palin "hit the ball out of the park" and that "everyone should rent mr. smith goes to washington" because "palin is a female jimmy stewart" so therefore...
I think this is just what they are aiming for... it isn't too dissimilar from what they did with Bush. They positioned him as a down home good ole boy. Sarah is the female equivalent (only she may be the real thing).

I think it is useless to mock her for her "plain speech" and mispronunciations. It is just this that give her an appeal to the middle class. She is "just like them." She asks the same questions. She has the same accent. She has the same hairstyle.

If George Bush was a guy that people would like to have a beer with then Sarah Palin is a woman that people would like to go to a cook out with...

The positioning is quite smart on the part of McCain's strategists.
__________________
"My hands are on fire. Hands are on fire. Ain't got no more time for all you charlatans and liars."
- Old Man Luedecke
Charlatan is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #88 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
sarah did better than I imagined she would...

in fact I was imagining something like Admiral Stockdale and Ross Perot
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #89 (permalink)
Eat your vegetables
 
genuinegirly's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: Arabidopsis-ville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic_Skafe View Post
Anyone have a link to a full video of the debates? I had class tonight and I can't seem to catch any spin free reverberations via the tube.

Here's a transcript, if you feel like reading: Transcript of Palin, Biden debate - CNN.com
__________________
"Sometimes I have to remember that things are brought to me for a reason, either for my own lessons or for the benefit of others." Cynthetiq

"violence is no more or less real than non-violence." roachboy
genuinegirly is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #90 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq View Post
sarah did better than I imagined she would...

in fact I was imagining something like Admiral Stockdale and Ross Perot
I'll admit I was young when Ross Perot made a valiant effort to get into the White House without being Coke or Pepsi, but I think I'd remember Perot flirting with the camera. I mean he talked to the camera, but I don't remember playful winking.
Willravel is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #91 (permalink)
Who You Crappin?
 
Derwood's Avatar
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
one trend that was exactly like the first Presidential debate:

Rep. attacks Dem. position, Dem. defends position
Dem. attacks Rep. position, Rep. changes the subject
Derwood is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #92 (permalink)
Psycho
 
sprocket's Avatar
 
Location: In transit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daval View Post
Biden was easily the victor and was far more knowledgeable, however, Palin did not have any major gaffes or blank stare at the camera in confusion moments. I think she did what she had to do and has restored a lot of her credibility.
People keep saying she didn't have any gaffe's but I honestly think her whole performance was one. She didn't go comatose and start drooling on herself, but honestly she barely managed to put together a sensible sentence. She reminded me of the Miss Teen USA or whatever making her speech about maps a while ago.

Am I the only one who saw it that way?? :P
__________________
Remember, wherever you go... there you are.
sprocket is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #93 (permalink)
Who You Crappin?
 
Derwood's Avatar
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
I agree. She answered maybe 25% of the questions directly, and the rest were carefully rehearsed talking points and attacks on the Democratic positions. She changed subject so many times I could hardly keep track.
Derwood is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #94 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Jozrael's Avatar
 
The Associated Press: Some facts adrift in vice presidential debate

Nice fact checks ;D

Honestly, my opinion for Palin skyrocketed during this debate...but it's still quite low. It was just ABYSMAL before this.
Jozrael is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #95 (permalink)
Junkie
 
filtherton's Avatar
 
Location: In the land of ice and snow.
It's interesting that the republican ticket is essentially opposite what it was last time, archetypally speaking. Instead of having the folksy lightweight at the top of the ticket, the have the angry heavy.

Vote angry guy!!!
filtherton is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #96 (permalink)
Post-modernism meets Individualism AKA the Clash
 
anti fishstick's Avatar
 
Location: oregon
palin came off as really shallow and vague. she could not explain anything about what a mccain / palin ticket would be different than the current presidency. she just kept hitting with her talking points and it was scary when she said she wanted extended power for vice president. i don't think ignoring the questions and telling the moderator she wasn't going to answer questions the way anyone wanted her to did her any favors... they were too easy on her when she veered off topic.
__________________
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~Anais Nin
anti fishstick is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 01:55 AM   #97 (permalink)
Eponymous
 
jewels's Avatar
 
Location: Central Central Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka_Guru View Post
Now she's sounding like Bush.

Even the "nuculur."

She's repeating things Bush has said on Iran.

And she uses appeal to emotions far too much.

This is gross.
I can't believe grown people actually mispronounce a word like nuclear.

And yes, she reminds me of a pretty teen making a speech in attempts to earn the crown. If she can be Prez or Veep, so could I.
__________________
We are always more anxious to be distinguished for a talent which we do not possess, than to be praised for the fifteen which we do possess.
Mark Twain
jewels is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #98 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
next morning: well, my basic perspective on this from a bit of a distance is that i think the debate was in the main done with enough seriousness and decorum that the theater of it was, strangely, kinda reassuring in the sense that it has been a remarkably shitty couple weeks for the existing system in the united states at nearly every level.

as a human being not roachboy exactly i am always split between the ways the social world make sense to me analytically and politically and the ways in which it makes sense to me as i go to the store or sit on the bench behind my apartment and look at the salt marsh...at the first level, i see ideologies and limitations that follow from them that--particularly the past few weeks--make people whom i do not really doubt are as human beings complicated and well-meaning and reasonably intelligent---do and enact stupid-to-vicious things and avoid the consequences by pretending that the world is otherwise. at the second level, i live here too, in the everyday world, and sometimes find myself at that level a bit freaked out by the effects of seeing the world analytically. i think alot of folk who work out of a more radical political position find themselves in this kind of position from time to time, and in the past the dream of revolution coming from a movement that corresponded more or less with an alternate possible world was a therapeutic one to have. but these days there is no such movement, not even the possibility of one. so the analytic dimension can collapse onto everyday life in an unpleasant way. i have found the way the campaign for the next president to have been playing out, particularly on television, to be distressing in this regard because it generates the appearance of trivia and stupidity and one-dimensional thinking and seems to work on the assumption that you and i want trivia and stupidity and one-dimensional thinking. the american political system spins itself to itself as a joke, and in a period of large-scale mutation it can appear to in fact be a joke, and this is not good--because no matter what i might think desirable as an alternative arrangement, i, like everyone, lives in this one, and there's a sense in which the process of mutation we are living through can come to be like that hyperbolic doubt which causes you to not be sure that the floor beneath your feet will continue to exist moment to moment because, in the end, you cannot be sure that it will.

so this morning, i think the debate was a good bit of theater for situational reasons--it was not a joke--and it could have been--and both candidates handled themselves well--in a context shaped by the fact that few in the bigger political order have been handling themselves or the situations they are facing well. it was good to see signs of intelligent life in a context shaped by reactive life.

i am not a fan of biden, not an enthusiastic supporter of obama--but i think it obvious that both are intelligent and articulate and--more importantly--are able to use their intelligence in an adaptive manner, to remain relatively clear in a shifting situation.

i do not see that from either mc-cain or palin.

but this debate could have been a farce, and that would have been an unfortunate bit of theater at an unfortunate time. it wasn't a farce---rather it gave mediated access to broader intellectual and policy differences and provided 90 minutes of space for actual discussion. that was quickly covered over by the idiocy of television commentary.

i think it's time we all turned off the tv for everything but reality shows, cartoons and sporting events.
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #99 (permalink)
Knight of the Old Republic
 
Lasereth's Avatar
 
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
The saddest part of the debate is that Palin did exactly what she needed to do. The winks, gosh darnits, and hockey mom references all excite the ignorant in America and will get votes based on these alone. What was talked about last night is so over the heads of a majority of Americans...all most Americans care about is if the candidate seems nice or in Palin's case, cute/enjoyable/feel good. Palin knows this, the Republican party knows this, and they set out to do it and succeeded.

Biden did well. He answered the mod's questions moreso than Palin did. The actual debate was pretty annoying though. It can be summarized as this:

Palin: Obama says this and it sucks.
Biden: He didn't really say that, he meant this: and also McCain sux.
Palin: McCain didn't mean that, he meant this: Obama on the other hand sux.
Biden: Well that is interesting but that's not what he said. He said this, and McCain still sux.

I hate how they have to defend from the other person's questions instead of taking more time with the mod's actual questions.
Lasereth is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 04:25 AM   #100 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Daval's Avatar
 
Location: The True North Strong and Free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
People keep saying she didn't have any gaffe's but I honestly think her whole performance was one. She didn't go comatose and start drooling on herself, but honestly she barely managed to put together a sensible sentence. She reminded me of the Miss Teen USA or whatever making her speech about maps a while ago.

Am I the only one who saw it that way?? :P

I do agree that she changed topics way too much and when in trouble would go to memorized lines that may have nothing to do with the topic at hand. But compared to the Couric interviews she did better which I think is what she needed to do.
-----Added 3/10/2008 at 08 : 25 : 56-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti fishstick View Post
telling the moderator she wasn't going to answer questions the way anyone wanted her to did her any favors... they were too easy on her when she veered off topic.
Useless moderator, she should have forced responses.
__________________
"It is impossible to obtain a conviction for sodomy from an English jury. Half of them don't believe that it can physically be done, and the other half are doing it."
Winston Churchill

Last edited by Daval; 10-03-2008 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Daval is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 04:52 AM   #101 (permalink)
Psycho
 
Catdaddy33's Avatar
 
Location: TN
The Palin difference between the debate and the Couric interviews? At the debate she had notecards to refer to and lotsa practice at the Arizona McMansion. They knew what kind of questions were being asked, and wouldn't be surprised if they had them ahead of time.

When she wasnt talking she was looking through her notecards..
Catdaddy33 is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #102 (permalink)
You had me at hello
 
Poppinjay's Avatar
 
Location: DC/Coastal VA
I thought it was interesting that McCain closed up his Michigan offices just before this debate. I'm guessing he thought it would look like Palin lost the debate if he waited.

At any rate, he's already conceded Michigan because of Obama's double digit lead. Wonder what Romney could have done for him there?

His numbers range from 5% (Fox) to 9% (Time) behind in Virginia, and he's opening offices here.
__________________
I think the Apocalypse is happening all around us. We go on eating desserts and watching TV. I know I do. I wish we were more capable of sustained passion and sustained resistance. We should be screaming and what we do is gossip. -Lydia Millet
Poppinjay is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 05:55 AM   #103 (permalink)
Who You Crappin?
 
Derwood's Avatar
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasereth View Post
It can be summarized as this:

Palin: Obama says this and it sucks.
Biden: He didn't really say that, he meant this: and also McCain sux.
Palin: McCain didn't mean that, he meant this: Obama on the other hand sux.
Biden: Well that is interesting but that's not what he said. He said this, and McCain still sux.
I saw it more as this:

PALIN: Obama says this about X.
BIDEN: That's not true, he actually says THIS about X. But McCain says THAT about X.
PALIN: Y & Z!
Derwood is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 06:07 AM   #104 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Daval's Avatar
 
Location: The True North Strong and Free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
I saw it more as this:

PALIN: Obama says this about X.
BIDEN: That's not true, he actually says THIS about X. But McCain says THAT about X.
PALIN: Y & Z!

Haha, very true!
__________________
"It is impossible to obtain a conviction for sodomy from an English jury. Half of them don't believe that it can physically be done, and the other half are doing it."
Winston Churchill
Daval is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #105 (permalink)
Knight of the Old Republic
 
Lasereth's Avatar
 
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
I saw it more as this:

PALIN: Obama says this about X.
BIDEN: That's not true, he actually says THIS about X. But McCain says THAT about X.
PALIN: Y & Z!
Ha ha ha ha too perfect.
Lasereth is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 06:28 AM   #106 (permalink)
warrior bodhisattva
 
Baraka_Guru's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: East-central Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
PALIN: Obama says this about X.
BIDEN: That's not true, he actually says THIS about X. But McCain says THAT about X.
PALIN: Y & Z!
...where Y = "Energy and Alaska" and Z = "Kids and their parents"
__________________
Knowing that death is certain and that the time of death is uncertain, what's the most important thing?
—Bhikkhuni Pema Chödrön

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot
Baraka_Guru is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 07:20 AM   #107 (permalink)
Insane
 
yellowmac's Avatar
 
Location: left coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
I saw it more as this:

PALIN: Obama says this about X.
BIDEN: That's not true, he actually says THIS about X. But McCain says THAT about X.
PALIN: Y & Z!
LOL. I nominate this to be funniest post of the week.

edit: ...and the most factual. ;-)

Last edited by yellowmac; 10-03-2008 at 07:25 AM..
yellowmac is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #108 (permalink)
Nothing
 
tisonlyi's Avatar
 
The wookie defence was strongly represented in Palin's performance.

__________________
"I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place." - Winston Churchill, 1937 --{ORLY?}--
tisonlyi is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #109 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
I can't believe grown people actually mispronounce a word like nuclear.

And yes, she reminds me of a pretty teen making a speech in attempts to earn the crown. If she can be Prez or Veep, so could I.
This is an accent and should not be criticized. I miss-pronounce it as do all of my family as that is the way we grew up hearing it. We also pronounce bag (as in grocery bag) as "beg".

There is nothing wrong with having an accent.
Rekna is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 07:41 AM   #110 (permalink)
 
abaya's Avatar
 
Location: Iceland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisonlyi View Post
The wookie defence was strongly represented in Palin's performance.
I hadn't seen that one before... and yep, that's EXACTLY what Palin did!
__________________
And think not you can direct the course of Love;
for Love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.

--Khalil Gibran
abaya is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #111 (permalink)
Psycho
 
Catdaddy33's Avatar
 
Location: TN
I can't wait for Palin to ask "is that your friend in the woodchipper"

McCain/ Gunderson '08!!

Catdaddy33 is offline  
Old 10-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #112 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
Okay, here we go with round 2.

Ah, the hand shake/arm pat. They're clearly in love and I'm disappointed no one else sees it.

Allen Shaffer: bald man among bald men.
-----Added 7/10/2008 at 09 : 06 : 23-----
Holy crap, Obama is in the stratosphere! This debate is about the economy, I don't expect McCain to survive.

Last edited by Willravel; 10-07-2008 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Willravel is offline  
 

Tags
debate, discussion, live, thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:00 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52