Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Politics


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
immoral minority
 
ASU2003's Avatar
 
Location: Back in Ohio
The current GOP might have the start of a good idea...

Eric Cantor || Republican Whip || YouCut

The only reason I say it's a start is that there is a lot of other earmarks and tax cuts that I'm sure the American public wouldn't go for. They could expand this to a lot of different government angencies as well.

Yet, there is a reason that having the government spend some money is a good thing, and if this becomes a fiscal witch-hunt, it might not work out too well.
ASU2003 is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy, indeed
 
Location: the ether
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU2003 View Post
Eric Cantor || Republican Whip || YouCut

The only reason I say it's a start is that there is a lot of other earmarks and tax cuts that I'm sure the American public wouldn't go for. They could expand this to a lot of different government angencies as well.

Yet, there is a reason that having the government spend some money is a good thing, and if this becomes a fiscal witch-hunt, it might not work out too well.
I am sorry, but this is all bullshit. Not the cutting spending part, but the desperate attempt to find a escapegoat for the country's fiscal problems. Get a small program, spin it so it is seen in the worst possible light, sell it as being tough on spending. Over the next five years the federal government will spend nearly 20 trillion dollars. The biggest cut there isn't an actual budget item, but the fact that federal workers can use some of their time in union related activities, something that wouldn't change the budget, as it most federal workers are salaried, and not paid by the hour. Everything else there put together is about 0.03% of the budget.


So in other words, everything in there is meaningless. It is a political strategy to sound tough without having to do anything. To really cut spending would require to cut medicare, social security and the military, but guess what, that is unpopular.
dippin is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Seaver's Avatar
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Great idea I think. I have little faith in the execution of it, but it's finally an idea I like.

Quote:
So in other words, everything in there is meaningless. It is a political strategy to sound tough without having to do anything. To really cut spending would require to cut medicare, social security and the military, but guess what, that is unpopular.

Read more: http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/tilted-...#ixzz0oCBNs1k7
Are you honestly saying there isn't much fat to cut from the US Government? You can take a hatchet to the annual budget and never hit anything with actual meat. It's unpopular to point out the pork each Senator/Congressman pours into every bill with earmarks because their committee appointments make it so they can in turn block anything you want.
__________________
"Smite the rocks with the rod of knowledge, and fountains of unstinted wealth will gush forth." - Ashbel Smith as he laid the first cornerstone of the University of Texas
Seaver is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy, indeed
 
Location: the ether
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaver View Post
Great idea I think. I have little faith in the execution of it, but it's finally an idea I like.



Are you honestly saying there isn't much fat to cut from the US Government? You can take a hatchet to the annual budget and never hit anything with actual meat. It's unpopular to point out the pork each Senator/Congressman pours into every bill with earmarks because their committee appointments make it so they can in turn block anything you want.
No. I am saying that anyone who runs on a platform of cutting spending without talking about cutting social security, medicare or the military is not serious about cutting spending.

Again, all those programs he lists in that site are less than a tenth of a percent of the budget.

Earmarks are less than 2% of the budget.

This is like a candidate running on a platform of being tough on crime by promising he will end jaywalking. Or saying that he will promote education by promising to give a pencil to each kid.

So until a Republican runs on cutting medicare, social security or the military, this is just a marketing campaign. Republicans might end up spending more on promoting this youcut site than what some of the programs listed there might cost.
dippin is offline  
Old 05-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Somnabulist
 
guy44's Avatar
 
Location: corner of No and Where
Quote:
Originally Posted by dippin View Post
No. I am saying that anyone who runs on a platform of cutting spending without talking about cutting social security, medicare or the military is not serious about cutting spending.

Again, all those programs he lists in that site are less than a tenth of a percent of the budget.

Earmarks are less than 2% of the budget.

This is like a candidate running on a platform of being tough on crime by promising he will end jaywalking. Or saying that he will promote education by promising to give a pencil to each kid.

So until a Republican runs on cutting medicare, social security or the military, this is just a marketing campaign. Republicans might end up spending more on promoting this youcut site than what some of the programs listed there might cost.
Exactly. I think people in general don't have a good sense of how money is actually spent by the federal government. Here's a few great graphs to clear things up:

Total spending:



A breakdown of other spending:



Within that last graph, maybe 4-5% or so is earmarks. Both parties go after earmarks, and that's mostly cool because a lot of them are wasteful, but let's be honest: it's more a stalling tactic or a campaign line than any sort of meaningful government reform.
__________________
"You have reached Ritual Sacrifice. For goats press one, or say 'goats.'"
guy44 is offline  
Old 05-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Degenerate
 
Aladdin Sane's Avatar
 
Location: San Marvelous
Wasteful spending is only a small part of the earmark problem. The problem of earmarks is a problem of bribery, vote-buying, and ongoing political corruption. Earmark projects are typically buried within unrelated legislation to keep the spending hidden from the general public. Politicians use earmarks to reward supporters and enrich themselves. The real cost of an individual earmark goes way beyond the dollar figure reported in legislation. The real cost is political corruption that is destroying the public trust in government.
__________________
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
Aladdin Sane is offline  
 

Tags
current, good, gop, idea, start

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:36 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52