Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Politics


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Psycho
 
crossova's Avatar
 
Location: new york
Ahnold for Prez

does anyone want the Governator to be president?
Do you believe that immigrants should have the ability to run for presidency.

I think that is a bad step to allow foreign born persons to become president, even if they have citizenship. I like Arnold as an actor and he has done a few things against the grain in Cali, but as a president that is way too much power for the terminator to have.
crossova is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cracking the Whip
 
Lebell's Avatar
 
Location: Sexymama's arms...
The reasons to avoid having a foreign born president were laid out well in the Federalist papers and I have not seen a convincing argument yet against them.

As to Ahnold, he might be a good president, but unless the constitution is changed, we'll never know.
__________________
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!

Last edited by Lebell; 12-16-2004 at 11:15 AM..
Lebell is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
....is off his meds...you were warned.
 
KMA-628's Avatar
 
Location: The Wild Wild West
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossova
I think that is a bad step to allow foreign born persons to become president, even if they have citizenship
Why?

I see that you are against it, but I have no clue why you feel this way.
KMA-628 is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
I change
 
ARTelevision's Avatar
 
Location: USA
I think it would be a final validation of the "coming to America" great immigrant story, in which we acknowledge the most excellent contributions of our new citizens, to allow them to aspire to the Presidency.

As for Arnold - I would support his candidacy, yes.
__________________
create evolution
ARTelevision is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
will always be an Alyson Hanniganite
 
Bill O'Rights's Avatar
 
Location: In the dust of the archives
It's not that I don't think that Arnold wouldn't be a good President...he well could be. The fact is, I just don't devote much thought to it, because...he can't. Not unless the Constitution is changed, which I do not support. If the Constitution is changed to allow immigrants to atain the Presidency...then I feel that it should not take effect for a period of 25 years, to eliminate the possibility of changing our most precious national document for the benefit of one man. Arnold cannot be President.
__________________
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

"Hedonism with rules isn't hedonism at all, it's the Republican party." - JumpinJesus

It is indisputable that true beauty lies within...but a nice rack sure doesn't hurt.
Bill O'Rights is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Getting Medieval on your ass
 
Coppertop's Avatar
 
Location: 13th century Europe
Bleah. No way, it's bad enough having him as my governor, thankyouverymuch. And who wants to eat at Taco Bell every damn day?!
Coppertop is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Addict
 
braisler's Avatar
 
Location: Midway, KY
Coppertop, I am glad I am not the only one who sees the amazing, "how can this be happening", train of events that parallels that movie.
braisler is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
I'd be in favor of an amendment, but not for a particular person, if that makes sense. I'd rather it come about by a feeling that it would be the Great American Story, not because another rich politician wanted something he couldn't have.
thrsn0730 is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Psycho
 
crossova's Avatar
 
Location: new york
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop
Bleah. No way, it's bad enough having him as my governor, thankyouverymuch. And who wants to eat at Taco Bell every damn day?!
lol c'mon you have to think outside the bun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA-628
Why?
I see that you are against it, but I have no clue why you feel this way.
Becaise I believe that even though a person may come to this country and may abide by the law of the land that still should not equate to them being able to run for presidency. Sure they can get a cabinet or congressional job. I just think the presidency should just be that sole position only granted to american-born persons.
crossova is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
is awesome!
 
Locobot's Avatar
 
Do I support this man for President of the United States, the most powerful position in the world?
<embed src="http://media.santoalt.com/101/pothead_arnoldsmokincrack.wmv"</embed>
yes I do!
Locobot is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 01:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Easy Rider
 
flstf's Avatar
 
Location: Moscow on the Ohio
Sure, I would support Arnold running for pres. What could be more American than the Austrian Oak. Don't know if I'd vote for him though.
flstf is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Sarge of Blood Gulch Red Outpost Number One
 
archer2371's Avatar
 
Location: On the front lines against our very enemy
I wouldn't vote for him, I disagree with most of his social policies. That would be an election where I go Constitution Party.
__________________
"This ain't no Ice Cream Social!"

"Hey Grif, Chupathingy...how bout that? I like it...got a ring to it."

"I have no earthly idea what it is I just saw, or what this place is, or where in the hell O'Malley is! My only choice is to blame Grif for coming up with such a flawed plan. Stupid, stupid Grif."
archer2371 is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 02:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: USA
This country is nothing but a bunch of immigrants, except for the Native Americans. I see no reason why he couldn't run for president. If Americans want him we'll vote for him, if not then we won't vote for him.
typhus is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 02:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
Yeah, because smoking pot should disqualify you from holding office...

It's almost reason to vote for him!
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 02:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
And matter of factly Typhus, I am not an immigrant, nor is anyone in my family, for several generations; I assume this is the case for most people here on this forum and in the country at large.
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 02:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: USA
Unless you're an actual Native American, you could eventually trace your roots to a different country. I didn't mean immigrant literally. What I meant is that America is a big melting pot of people from all over the world.
typhus is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 02:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
Native Americans could trace there roots to a different country of origin. The only issue is time.
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 02:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Addict
 
Actually you can only go back so far. The USA wasn't a country forever. I'd argue that those that became the first citizens were not immigrants.
phukraut is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 03:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cracking the Whip
 
Lebell's Avatar
 
Location: Sexymama's arms...
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhus
This country is nothing but a bunch of immigrants, except for the Native Americans.
Correction: The "Native" Americans immigrated here from Asia.
__________________
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!
Lebell is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Getting Medieval on your ass
 
Coppertop's Avatar
 
Location: 13th century Europe
Yes, go back far enough and we're all African. I suppose some might say Edenese? Either way, there was a time when what is now North America had no humans.
Coppertop is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
is awesome!
 
Locobot's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_PeiPei
Yeah, because smoking pot should disqualify you from holding office...

It's almost reason to vote for him!
My post was not sarcastic, the pot smoking is one of my primary reasons for supporting Arnold Schwarzenegger for President. Arnold is substancially closer to my own political beliefs compared to our current executive office holders. I'm not so blinded by the "Republican" label that I would disqualify Arnold solely on that basis.
Locobot is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 05:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
Well chalk this up as one point we both agree on!
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 07:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Muffled
 
Kadath's Avatar
 
Location: Camazotz
My only issue with putting Arnold in the White House is that it would be the final symbolic step in choosing style over substance in America, the celebrification, if you will, of everything. We'd be picking him because we liked him, not because we thought he would do a good job. I imagine many people would think "Sure, he can't be any worse than those career politicians in Washington!"

On the other hand, it's just Reagan again.
__________________
it's quiet in here
Kadath is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 09:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Insane
 
screamincheetah's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
My two cents on this is that the most qualified person should be allowed to run for President. IF a party wants to make them their canidate, and IF a majority of the country wants that person to represent them, then how could that not be allowed? The reality in this country is that even if it was allowed, I doubt many outside the cities would vote for an immigrant anyway. Maybe I'm shortchanging our populace, but I just don't think it would happen.
screamincheetah is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 10:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Upright
 
Location: New York
Based on the three for four articles I have read of his handling of california, I, a registered democrat, would likely vote for Arnold. He is a rather liberal person, socially, and fiscally conservative. Perhaps the most appealing single characteristic is that he actually thinks for himself; the party doesn't think for him. His support of gay marriage (ok, civil unions, but that's just fine by me) when his "higher ups" like bush want to *%#^%'in ban it...that earns points in my book. They say he's been rather effective in breaking 'logjams' in california. Of course, I'm a New York Liberal, so what do I know? Oh, and the amendment will never happen; it's a classic case of over reaction and people getting ahead of themselves.

P.S. A New York Liberal who votes for a republician is worth noting.
P.P.S 40% of NY voted for Bush. I, however, did not.
__________________
Three hundred thousand kilometers per second: it's not just a good idea. It's the law. Your actual mileage may vary, of course.
Tasonir is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 10:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
big damn hero
 
guthmund's Avatar
 
After thinking about it, I have to agree with BOR.

I don't mind having the Constitution change, after all it is it's flexability that has allowed the Constitution to remain one of the defining documents of our nation. However, it seems a bit too much to change it just for one man. And really that's all that it is. I don't seem to recall a movement to amend the Constitution before Arnold was sworn in as governor. It's a political move by a group of far thinking activists who want to ride popular momentum.

So, yeah, if the country needs to change it (and I see no reason why not) then let it take effect in the future to benefit the political aspirations of candidates in the future not just for Arnold Schwarzenegg......Arnold.
__________________
No signature. None. Seriously.
guthmund is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
The Dreaded Pixel Nazi
 
Konichiwaneko's Avatar
 
Location: Inside my camera
At least in the USA the idea of a immigrant for president or country leadership could be talked about.

I'm born in America and can run for president, but i'm only 23. Arnold has been here longer then me, and can't. Kinda odd don't you think. I could almost say he's more american then me...which is kinda odd to think off.

I wouldn't be phased at all to see it changed to 35 years of american citizan ship to run for president, rather then 35 years old (or was it 40 for president and 35 for senator, please correct me if you guys know.)
__________________
Hesitate. Pull me in.
Breath on breath. Skin on skin.
Loving deep. Falling fast.
All right here. Let this last.
Here with our lips locked tight.
Baby the time is right for us...
to forget about us.
Konichiwaneko is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 01:16 AM   #28 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: USA
I think it's 35. I agree. A "time limit" sounds like it would make more sense than having to born on US soil.
typhus is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 04:27 AM   #29 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands (find it on a map, it is there (somewhere))
Yes we all know that immigrant Austrians make great leaders (just ask the Germans), seriously though. What is the big deal? He is more American than Austrian at this moment and as Konichiwaneko said he has been in the USA longer than many of the people on this board.

I understand that your constitution needs "refurbishing" to fit the situation, but if the majority of the people feel that it is okay than why not? Just do it for the good reasons and not for the sole purpose of electing 1 man (Arnold) as president and ad an "time limit" to it of a few decades.
__________________
Somnia, terrores magicos, miracula, sagas,
Nocturnus lemures, portentaque.
Horace
energus is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 05:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
Cherry-pickin' devil's advocate
 
Location: Los Angeles
I prefer to keep it American born but that being said, amending it is up to the Constitution and states and imo it should be based on a period of living in America. I do not want to see a day where a guy comes to America and in a year is president - however a guy who has been here and seen it and lived for a while could qualify fine.
Zeld2.0 is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 07:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
Insane
 
AngelicVampire's Avatar
 
Would it not be better to elect the best person for the job? By giving a person American Citizenship that person is American for all intensive purposes. President of the US would be like 30 Years as a US citizen, that means that the person is actually mostly American so should have the chance to run... mind you I am not American so maybe my views don't count.
AngelicVampire is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 07:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: California
I might support Arnold, mostly because he's independent of the traditional behind-the-scenes special interests and corporations that run our government. But I think the president should be American born, to ensure loyalty pretty much.
joeshoe is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 08:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Space, the final frontier.
Look at the problems that arise in this country from our own home-grown politicians sending pork barrel projects to their home constituants. Anyone in a position to run for president of the United States is very likely of a "higher social class" (read that to say rich, if you want to), even an immigrant. In turn, a first generation, foriegn-born individual that is in a position to run for president would likely have family in a higher social class in their home country. Thus, their family members "back home" would probably be in a position of greater power than the average citizen in their home country, whether privately or in government.

We have enough tax-payer dollars spent on pork barrel projects on our own shores. The opportunity for a foriegn born president to influence international policy based on this family ties, ties that would extend to foriegn shores is too great.

It is something we don't even want to contemplate.
__________________
"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others. " - Theodore Roosevelt
The Prophet is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 08:26 PM   #34 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Space, the final frontier.
If Arnold wants the power of leadership and really wants to help America, let him lead the United Nations. That organization really needs The Terminator.
__________________
"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others. " - Theodore Roosevelt
The Prophet is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 08:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
Psycho
 
jonjon42's Avatar
 
Location: inside my own mind
I do not mind the idea of immigrants running. In fact I support it. But I agree changing it for one man cheapens the constitution to a degree...I say put a time limit for it to be effective. and then make it something like 35 years in this country to run for office. By that point most people would be rather Americanized.
__________________
A damn dirty hippie without the dirty part....
jonjon42 is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 09:00 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: ohio
We already had one actor for a president, and look how great that worked out for the US. Reagan worked well with a monkey in movies and about as well with the ones in congress.

My fear is that if he did run he would be elected, but I disagree with having to be US born to be president. That being said I am in favor of citizenship exams as a requirement to be able to vote in the first place.

My hope would be that educated voters would equal an educated choice for all elected officers.
__________________
"I've got a lot of friends who don't know how to cook, which I could never understand because not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck." --Robert Rodriguez
duck0987 is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 09:04 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junk
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjon42
I do not mind the idea of immigrants running. In fact I support it. But I agree changing it for one man cheapens the constitution to a degree...I say put a time limit for it to be effective. and then make it something like 35 years in this country to run for office. By that point most people would be rather Americanized.
I would say that if one is deemed appropriate enough in becoming an American citizen, then from that day on they should be eligible for the presidency.
__________________
" In Canada, you can tell the most blatant lie in a calm voice, and people will believe you over someone who's a little passionate about the truth." David Warren, Western Standard.
OFKU0 is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 10:58 PM   #38 (permalink)
McG
Crazy
 
From what I've seen the people who are born citizens actually know less and care less about the country then those immagriants who get their citizenship legally.
McG is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 11:00 PM   #39 (permalink)
WaterDog
 
AquaFox's Avatar
 
he's a republican, which is good in my books.... if his popularity doesthe same thing in teh presidental election as it did in the florida election, he would win with ease.... which makes him a scary idea for democrats


for alot of people, politians are boring people who just sit behind desks and kiss babies, but arnold is a action hero
__________________


...AquaFox...
AquaFox is offline  
Old 12-17-2004, 11:34 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Location: ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by McG
From what I've seen the people who are born citizens actually know less and care less about the country then those immagriants who get their citizenship legally.
This is exactly why I am in favor of requiring a citizen ship test in order to vote.
__________________
"I've got a lot of friends who don't know how to cook, which I could never understand because not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck." --Robert Rodriguez
duck0987 is offline  
 

Tags
ahnold, prez

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360