Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Politics


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crazy
 
National 'No Name-Calling' Week Irks Conservatives

I never knew that a strong emphasis on good manners is actually a liberal plot to brainwash my kids into becoming queer freaks. Good thing these folks were here to warn me!

Quote:
Using a young readers' novel called "The Misfits" as its centerpiece, middle schools nationwide will participate in a "No Name-Calling Week" initiative starting Monday. The program, now in its second year, has the backing of groups from the Girl Scouts to Amnesty International but has also drawn complaints that it overemphasizes harassment of gay youths.

The initiative was developed by the New York-based Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, which seeks to ensure that schools safely accommodate students of all sexual orientations. GLSEN worked with James Howe, the openly gay author of "The Misfits" and many other popular children's books.

"Gay students aren't the only kids targeted - this isn't about special rights for them," Howe said. "But the fact is that 'faggot' is probably the most common insult at schools."

"The Misfits" deals with four much-taunted middle school students -- one of them gay -- who run for the student council on a platform advocating an end to nasty name-calling.

GLSEN is unsure how many schools will participate in this week's event, but says 5,100 educators from 36 states have registered, up from 4,000 last year. Participation in a related writing-music-art contest rose from 100 students last year to 1,600 this year. The winning poem was written by Sue Anna Yeh, 13, from Sugar Land, Texas.

"No Name-calling Week" takes aim at insults of all kinds - whether based on a child's appearance, background or behavior. But a handful of conservative critics have zeroed in on the references to harassment based on sexual orientation.

"I hope schools will realize it's less an exercise in tolerance than a platform for liberal groups to promote their pan-sexual agenda," said Robert Knight, director of Concerned Women for America's Culture and Family Institute.

"Schools should be steering kids away from identifying as gay," Knight said. "You can teach civility to kids and tell them every child is valued without conveying the message that failure to accept homosexuality as normal is a sign of bigotry."

http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/4122133/detail.html
CShine is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Getting Medieval on your ass
 
Coppertop's Avatar
 
Location: 13th century Europe
Quote:
"I hope schools will realize it's less an exercise in tolerance than a platform for liberal groups to promote their pan-sexual agenda," said Robert Knight, director of Concerned Women for America's Culture and Family Institute.

"Schools should be steering kids away from identifying as gay," Knight said. "You can teach civility to kids and tell them every child is valued without conveying the message that failure to accept homosexuality as normal is a sign of bigotry."
Yeah, teach children civility but not tolerance. Good thinking!

Coppertop is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Getting it.
 
Charlatan's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: Lion City
Damn it! No one is going to tell my kids they can't call someone a faggot...

/sarcasm off
__________________
"My hands are on fire. Hands are on fire. Ain't got no more time for all you charlatans and liars."
- Old Man Luedecke
Charlatan is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cracking the Whip
 
Lebell's Avatar
 
Location: Sexymama's arms...
I would love to see less popular use of these three insults:

Faggot
Nigger
Fatty

Unfortunately, there are strong influences in todays culture (especially with young people) that says they are "ok".

Hip Hop is bringing back 'nigger' strongly, with no regard or care how it has affected blacks over the years.

"Faggot" and permutations of it are popular with young kids, with "Gay" as in "That's so GAY" being particularly popular.

And of course, it is always exceptable to insult people by telling them they are "FAT", as if they hadn't noticed. "Wow, did you see the FAT ASS on that chick? What a tub of lard!"
__________________
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!
Lebell is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
Damn CS, I sense much resentment towards conservative America on your part, this is what like your 4th-5th post in a day going after various groups....

At Anyrate I think Robert Knight has a point, and I'm getting pretty sick of the one way diversity train. Also as far as tolerance goes, I think people here have a pretty big misconception as to what it is, and to again reiterate, many of said people seem to be pretty intolerant to conservative America.

Like Mr. Garrison once said
Quote:
...Look just because you have to tolerate something, doesn't mean you have to approve of it.... Tolerate means you just have to put up with it, you tolerate a crying child on an airplane, or you tolerate a bad cold, it can still piss you off, Jesus tap dancing christ!
This was from the Lemmywinks episode, I think it's brilliant really. Mr. Garrison was trying to get fired for being gay, but everyone was tolerant of his over the top homosexual behavior, such as sticking a Gerbil up Mr. Slave's ass in the middle of class. Long story short, Mr. Garrison snaps in the above the quote and ends up getting sent to tolerance camp for being intolerant to homosexuals.
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
zen_tom
Guest
 
Yeah, but all that is made up nonsense - it's not real.
How old are the kids in this book? So one of them is gay right? Is that the problem? Now how many children of an age that even understands what straight or gay means watch south-park? How many conservative parents allow their children to watch people being brutally dismembered in hollywood blockbuster action movies?
And they get upset because there is a single gay-kid in a book about not being unpleasant to gay kids? Is it just me or is there a slight over-reaction here?

[edit: venting too much to notice that the poster is actually making the same point as I am....phew]

Last edited by zen_tom; 01-24-2005 at 12:33 PM..
 
Old 01-24-2005, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Getting Medieval on your ass
 
Coppertop's Avatar
 
Location: 13th century Europe
Kinda makes you wonder what exactly homophobes are afraid of.
Coppertop is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junk
 
Hmmm,....National Name-Calling Week eh. And for the other 51 weeks of the year?
__________________
" In Canada, you can tell the most blatant lie in a calm voice, and people will believe you over someone who's a little passionate about the truth." David Warren, Western Standard.
OFKU0 is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
I find it interesting how people here will defend people such as the KKK or defend actions of Al Qaeda and insurgents, yet they get down on homophobes and conservatives (mainly Christian ones at that). Are they not entitled to speak their minds? Or is tolerance only afforded when it fits the leftist idealogy?
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addict
 
Location: Shalimar, FL
theyre just mad because it mentions homosexuality and its being sponsored by those evil homosexuals. Whatever, Im just glad some schools are honestly supporting "no-name calling week" I dont care who came up with the idea, its great.

The book Im not so sure about.
yellowchef is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Psycho
 
Location: Rhode Island biatches!
While I do think there was an overreaction to no name calling week, no name calling week is a pretty stupid idea if you ask me. Kids are already tought to be tolerant in schools, but even after hearing it they still insult kids and call them names. This no name calling week will change nothing.
__________________
"We do what we like and we like what we do!"~andrew Wk

Procrastinate now, don't put off to the last minute.
The_wall is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Getting Medieval on your ass
 
Coppertop's Avatar
 
Location: 13th century Europe
Who here stated homophobes and coservatives are not entitled to speak their minds or fight for what they belive in? I'm sure you'll be good enough to supply a source for such foolishness.
Coppertop is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
You definitly insinuate it in snide comments such as the ones you made above. There are definitly homophobes out there, and they are ridiculous people. But as it seems to be going people who merely disagree with homosexuality get the label of "homophobe". I don't agree with homosexuality, it doesn't make me a homophobe.
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junkie
 
kutulu's Avatar
 
Great idea, poor implementation. Making one week of no-name calling won't do anything in the long run. Instead they could crack down on the name calling and bullying every week.

I'm sick of the religious right accusing everyone else of having an agenda. Of course they'd NEVER admit that they are the ones trying to promote an agenda.
kutulu is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junkie
 
kutulu's Avatar
 
Mojo_PeiPei:

Punishing kids for calling other kids "faggot" or "fudgepacker" is not forcing people to agree with homosexuality. I guess it would be better to leave it alone and wait for Columbine to happen all over again.
kutulu is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Getting Medieval on your ass
 
Coppertop's Avatar
 
Location: 13th century Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_PeiPei
You definitly insinuate it in snide comments such as the ones you made above. There are definitly homophobes out there, and they are ridiculous people. But as it seems to be going people who merely disagree with homosexuality get the label of "homophobe". I don't agree with homosexuality, it doesn't make me a homophobe.
Again, please provide sources where I (hell, anyone) says you are not entitled to your opinion or to act on such opinions. Find them and I'll condemn them.

And no one accused you of being a homophobe. At least not in this thread. But maybe you'll now comment on how I insinuated it even though I didn't mention you at all. The fact that you took offense at my comment what was not even directed at you says a lot. Think about that.
Coppertop is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutulu
Mojo_PeiPei:

Punishing kids for calling other kids "faggot" or "fudgepacker" is not forcing people to agree with homosexuality. I guess it would be better to leave it alone and wait for Columbine to happen all over again.
So you agree then that this is all this week amounts too? And I agree kids doing such actions should be punished, but no more so then any other insult. Next thing you know we'll end up like Canada and everything said that is unfavourable to homosexuality will be considered a hate crime.
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 01:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop
Again, please provide sources where I (hell, anyone) says you are not entitled to your opinion or to act on such opinions. Find them and I'll condemn them.

And no one accused you of being a homophobe. At least not in this thread. But maybe you'll now comment on how I insinuated it even though I didn't mention you at all. The fact that you took offense at my comment what was not even directed at you says a lot. Think about that.
Maybe we should just say that I took what you said out of context then, and leave it at that?
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cracking the Whip
 
Lebell's Avatar
 
Location: Sexymama's arms...
Ah, shades of Deja Vu!

--------------------------

National Brotherhood Week
--Tom Lehrer

Oh, the white folks hate the black folks,
And the black folks hate the white folks;
To hate all but the right folks
Is an old established rule.

But during National Brotherhood Week,
National Brotherhood Week,
Lena Horne** and Sheriff Clark*** are dancing cheek to cheek.
It's fun to eulogize
The people you despise
As long as you don't let 'em in your school.

Oh, the poor folks hate the rich folks,
And the rich folks hate the poor folks.
All of my folks hate all of your folks,
It's American as apple pie.

But during National Brotherhood Week,
National Brotherhood Week,
New Yorkers love the Puerto Ricans 'cause it's very chic.
Step up and shake the hand
Of someone you can't stand,
You can tolerate him if you try!

Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics
And the Catholics hate the Protestants,
And the Hindus hate the Moslems,
And everybody hates the Jews.

But during National Brotherhood Week,
National Brotherhood Week,
It's National Everyone-Smile-At-One-Another-Hood Week.
Be nice to people who
Are inferior to you.
It's only for a week, so have no fear;
Be grateful that it doesn't last all year!
__________________
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!
Lebell is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Getting Medieval on your ass
 
Coppertop's Avatar
 
Location: 13th century Europe
Fair enough.
Coppertop is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Easy Rider
 
flstf's Avatar
 
Location: Moscow on the Ohio
It would seem that the CWACFI or whatever the group is called over reacted to this but the whole thing seems rather silly. Kids of middle school age will probably not react the way the GLSEN is intending them to. I imagine most kids will think the idea is stupid and there will be more name calling during that week than all the others.
flstf is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junk
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_PeiPei
Next thing you know we'll end up like Canada and everything said that is unfavourable to homosexuality will be considered a hate crime.
Well I for one am not in favour of 'hate crimes' as a source to make crimes more significant for some and not others. I feel every crime should be treated equally.

But since it is in place, there's really nothing we can do about it. Is calling someone a fucking nigger, a fucking faggot, a fucking Jew, a fucking Pole, a fucking Jap,a fucking protestant, a fucking catholic a hate crime? I call it ignorance.
__________________
" In Canada, you can tell the most blatant lie in a calm voice, and people will believe you over someone who's a little passionate about the truth." David Warren, Western Standard.
OFKU0 is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Psycho
 
Location: Rhode Island biatches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flstf
It would seem that the CWACFI or whatever the group is called over reacted to this but the whole thing seems rather silly. Kids of middle school age will probably not react the way the GLSEN is intending them to. I imagine most kids will think the idea is stupid and there will be more name calling during that week than all the others.
Agreed, kids love doing what they aren't supposed to. Kutulu is right, they should try cracking down on the insults ALL THE TIME. This will just increase the name calling for the week.

The problem is schools don't really punish people for name calling. Maybe they suspend a kid, but lots of kids love having an excuse to not go to school. Longer in school suspensions might be better, but they have to be longer punishments which kids would dread getting.
__________________
"We do what we like and we like what we do!"~andrew Wk

Procrastinate now, don't put off to the last minute.
The_wall is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 01:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cracking the Whip
 
Lebell's Avatar
 
Location: Sexymama's arms...
Maybe we should stop calling each other "liberal" and "conservative".

I'm sure that we don't mean good things when we say them
__________________
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!
Lebell is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 01:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junkie
 
kutulu's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_PeiPei
So you agree then that this is all this week amounts too? And I agree kids doing such actions should be punished, but no more so then any other insult. Next thing you know we'll end up like Canada and everything said that is unfavourable to homosexuality will be considered a hate crime.
No, that's not what it amounts to but the assholes flapping their lips about it sure are trying their best to spin it that way. It's about all name calling, not just the word faggot.
kutulu is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 01:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFKU0
Well I for one am not in favour of 'hate crimes' as a source to make crimes more significant for some and not others. I feel every crime should be treated equally.

But since it is in place, there's really nothing we can do about it. Is calling someone a fucking nigger, a fucking faggot, a fucking Jew, a fucking Pole, a fucking Jap,a fucking protestant, a fucking catholic a hate crime? I call it ignorance.
Exactly. When the point is equality why should any one group be afforded more protection under the law? Besides I think it's safe to assume that most crimes are motivated by hate.
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 02:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junkie
 
kutulu's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_PeiPei
Exactly. When the point is equality why should any one group be afforded more protection under the law? Besides I think it's safe to assume that most crimes are motivated by hate.
Please tell me where the orginators of this idea intended it to treat 'gay bashing' insults different then calling an overwieght girl 'lard-ass' I'd really like to know.

Just because it's based on a book by a gay author doesn't mean it was meant to treat gays differently. Of course the homophoboes against it see only that insults about sexual orientation are included in a LIST of insults and therefore, it must be about getting our young boys to think that cocks taste nice.
kutulu is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 02:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
What are you blathering about? I was responding to a post that quoted something I had said about hate crime legislation, not merely No name calling week.
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 02:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Junkie
 
kutulu's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_PeiPei
What are you blathering about? I was responding to a post that quoted something I had said about hate crime legislation, not merely No name calling week.
You (and the conservatives bitching about this) are the ones acting like it is set up so that we will be more accepting of gays. That's what your original hate crime reference was about. Are you retracting that?
kutulu is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 02:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
No I am not retracting, because it's true, it probably isn't held solely for the acceptance of gays, but none the less that is definitly a motivation for this.

And my original hate crime reference was in regards to how Canada is stiffling speech that is considered unfavourable to gays and making it hate speech. I don't know what is afforded for protection of speech there, but as far as I'm concerned it's a spit in the face of free speech.
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 03:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
Cracking the Whip
 
Lebell's Avatar
 
Location: Sexymama's arms...
irony: mojo and kutulu calling each other names
__________________
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!
Lebell is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 03:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: Chicago
I've never seen so many people get so pissed off over whether we should be nice to each other and teach our kids to be nice to each other.

Zoiks.
__________________
"I can normally tell how intelligent a man is by how stupid he thinks I am" - Cormac McCarthy, All The Pretty Horses
JumpinJesus is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junkie
 
kutulu's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebell
irony: mojo and kutulu calling each other names
lol

Quote:
No I am not retracting, because it's true, it probably isn't held solely for the acceptance of gays, but none the less that is definitly a motivation for this.
You never cease to amaze me. If it does anything positive for gays it must be a plot by the gays trying to infiltrate the society. Be carefull, you might catch 'teh ghey'.

Say this actually raised some awareness (not likely) and kids get taunted less as a result. If in addtion to school being easier on the psyche for tons of kids, a few gay kids felt a little less bad about themselves is it a bad thing? According to what I gather from you're posts, it sure seems that way.
kutulu is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 03:30 PM   #34 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
You know you are right. God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve, all those fudge packing pillow biting faggots suck at life and deserve death.

If it does something positive for gays great, I don't think the point of the week is to merely emphasize the taunting of homosexuals. But you are just being nieve in asserting that it isn't one of the goals, the program was developed by a homosexual advocacy group, you are being willfully ignorant if you don't think they aren't trying to put some attention on it. For the record I am not asserting that they have some deviant homosexual agenda.
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.

Last edited by Mojo_PeiPei; 01-24-2005 at 03:33 PM..
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #35 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
well well, mojo: once again you manage to make me feel like i am standing behind some huge exhaust pipe when i read one of your posts....i feel that i am now covered in some kind of foul grime....

funny that you refer to god in your signature.
and that you presume to not just judge but apparently hate others based on who they choose to love.


go figure.
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 03:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutulu
lol



You never cease to amaze me. If it does anything positive for gays it must be a plot by the gays trying to infiltrate the society. Be carefull, you might catch 'teh ghey'.

Say this actually raised some awareness (not likely) and kids get taunted less as a result. If in addtion to school being easier on the psyche for tons of kids, a few gay kids felt a little less bad about themselves is it a bad thing? According to what I gather from you're posts, it sure seems that way.
The problem is that the only "awareness" that is trying to be raised is about the gloriousness of gays. It seems that most liberals want all sex to be seen as normal and no big deal (if you have modesty you're obviously some repressed prude) except for gay sex which is the most wonderful thing ever since sliced bread. If a student thinks that the act of two men having sex with each other is morally wrong, there is nothing wrong with that. That person is not any less than anyone else, they are not a bigot or homophobe. Now, should they necessarily go around beating up gays? No. Just like poeple who have other qualities that might be deemed negative shouldn't be harassed. But there is no reason that certain insults should be singled out.

And personally, I think that is what this is about. It isn't about not calling people fatty or nigger or spic or retard, it's all about calling people faggots. Honestly, if anyone is called out their name it should be equally punished. What shouldn't be forced down on people is a liberal moral code where acceptance of everything (except Christianity) is the norm.
alansmithee is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junkie
 
filtherton's Avatar
 
Location: In the land of ice and snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmithee
The problem is that the only "awareness" that is trying to be raised is about the gloriousness of gays. It seems that most liberals want all sex to be seen as normal and no big deal (if you have modesty you're obviously some repressed prude) except for gay sex which is the most wonderful thing ever since sliced bread. If a student thinks that the act of two men having sex with each other is morally wrong, there is nothing wrong with that. That person is not any less than anyone else, they are not a bigot or homophobe. Now, should they necessarily go around beating up gays? No. Just like poeple who have other qualities that might be deemed negative shouldn't be harassed. But there is no reason that certain insults should be singled out.

And personally, I think that is what this is about. It isn't about not calling people fatty or nigger or spic or retard, it's all about calling people faggots. Honestly, if anyone is called out their name it should be equally punished. What shouldn't be forced down on people is a liberal moral code where acceptance of everything (except Christianity) is the norm.
I guess i missed the part where the article said that only homophobic slurs were being discouraged. I see your post, and then i see the article, and i see that they share very few common ideas. Did you read the article, or did you just immediately overwrite it in your mind with some sort of antihomophobe rant?

I saw nothing about the "gloriousness of gays". I hope that you are able to see the difference between disdain for homosexuality and overt vocal hostility towards homosexuality/homosexuals. One is okay, if not just a tad bit sad, and the other is completely unacceptable.
filtherton is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #38 (permalink)
Junkie
 
kutulu's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_PeiPei
If it does something positive for gays great, I don't think the point of the week is to merely emphasize the taunting of homosexuals. But you are just being nieve in asserting that it isn't one of the goals, the program was developed by a homosexual advocacy group, you are being willfully ignorant if you don't think they aren't trying to put some attention on it. For the record I am not asserting that they have some deviant homosexual agenda.
Whatever, if the same idea was brought up by someone else but everything was written the exact same way they'd say nothing. It shows the true colors of the 'religous right': "Fags are bad and we need to oppose anything that might lead people to believe otherwise. In fact, we need to make sure that everyone knows they are sub-human."

If these people spent half as much time actually reading the word of their "God" as they did talking about their "God" they'd probably be a bit more tolerant about others.

"Judge not" my ass. They have no idea what it means to be tolerant.
kutulu is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 04:02 PM   #39 (permalink)
Junkie
 
kutulu's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtherton
I saw nothing about the "gloriousness of gays". I hope that you are able to see the difference between disdain for homosexuality and overt vocal hostility towards homosexuality/homosexuals. One is okay, if not just a tad bit sad, and the other is completely unacceptable.
No, it's there all right. You just need you're Dubya Decoder Ring. Then you will see the light, my Christian Warrior.

Christians have no idea what gays are asking for. All they want is to be treated like human beings. I guess that is too much to ask.
kutulu is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 04:04 PM   #40 (permalink)
Cracking the Whip
 
Lebell's Avatar
 
Location: Sexymama's arms...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutulu

Christians have no idea what gays are asking for. All they want is to be treated like human beings. I guess that is too much to ask.
Please do not lump us all together.

Thanks.
__________________
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!
Lebell is offline  
 

Tags
conservatives, irks, namecalling, national, week

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360