Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Politics


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Fox News Buys Al-Jazeera

Quote:
Under intense pressure from the Bush administration to sell its controversial Al-Jazeera network, the nation of Qatar stunned the television industry today by agreeing to sell the broadcast company to Rupert Murdoch's Fox News Channel.

Television insiders were taken aback that the network whose motto is "We Report. You Decide," would acquire a broadcast entity whose slogan is "Death to the Infidels."

But according to Murdoch, chairman and CEO of Fox parent News Corp., the merger was a natural because, in his words, "We took a look at their format and realized that it was almost identical to ours."

Murdoch added, "If we really roll up our sleeves and make this merger work, we may wind up with the fairest and most balanced network mankind has ever known.

The media mogul said that changes to Al-Jazeera's programming would be "minimal" at first: "We'll be going through their news copy and every time they call President Bush 'Satan,' we'll take out the words 'President Bush' and replace them with the words 'Ted Kennedy.'"

But viewers can expect much bigger changes to come, as the channel plans to drop Al-Jazeera's most popular program, "This Week in Jihad," in favor of a new show, "Hannity and Hussein."

In the words of a Fox-Jazeera press release, "Hannity and Hussein" will be "a lively political discussion featuring Fox personality Sean Hannity, from the right, and deposed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, from his prison cell."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6894936/site/newsweek
CShine is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cracking the Whip
 
Lebell's Avatar
 
Location: Sexymama's arms...
It's been said enough, add comment.

No comment = closed thread!

LAST WARNING!

[domokun] *rawr* [/domokun]
__________________
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!

Last edited by Lebell; 02-03-2005 at 12:19 PM..
Lebell is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Getting Medieval on your ass
 
Coppertop's Avatar
 
Location: 13th century Europe
Is this for real?
Coppertop is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
Somehow this seems like a big practical joke. April fools coming early this year?

CShine, this is in the Satire section of MSNBC news. It is fake. Did you really think Hannity and Hussain was in production?

Mods, this one might fit nicely into humor or nonsense.
Willravel is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: Chicago
It's a satire article. If you follow the link, it declares it as such. Still, it's a pretty funny article.

"Hannity and Hussein"? Heh.
__________________
"I can normally tell how intelligent a man is by how stupid he thinks I am" - Cormac McCarthy, All The Pretty Horses
JumpinJesus is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
is KING!
 
bparker805's Avatar
 
Location: On the path to Valhalla.
I saw this listed as "satire" on Fark...
bparker805 is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Professional Loafer
 
bendsley's Avatar
 
Location: texas
its a joke. it was on MSNBC's satire blog page.

Fox News buys Al-Jazeera. Stay tuned for "Hannity and Heussein"
__________________
"You hear the one about the fella who died, went to the pearly gates? St. Peter let him in. Sees a guy in a suit making a closing argument. Says, "Who's that?" St. Peter says, "Oh, that's God. Thinks he's Denny Crane."
bendsley is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Easy Rider
 
flstf's Avatar
 
Location: Moscow on the Ohio
It is hard to believe that a liberal news organization like FOX would buy such a biased anti-American outfit like Al-Jazeera. Just goes to show how far left the major news organizations have become.
flstf is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
------------->IT IS A JOKE. THIS IS NOT REAL.<--------------
Please take the article above for what it is; a joke. The Al Jazeera Network would probably rather die than join Fox News. That comedy is that the polar opposites would combine. Jeez.
Willravel is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Easy Rider
 
flstf's Avatar
 
Location: Moscow on the Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by willravel
------------->IT IS A JOKE. THIS IS NOT REAL.<--------------
Please take the article above for what it is; a joke. The Al Jazeera Network would probably rather die than join Fox News. That comedy is that the polar opposites would combine. Jeez.
Can't you see the irony in my..Oh nevermind, LOL.
flstf is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
Double sarcasm is the best! Are the mods going to move this?
Willravel is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
....is off his meds...you were warned.
 
KMA-628's Avatar
 
Location: The Wild Wild West
Now I know where Ultra-Fark is.

/been wondering
KMA-628 is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
can't help but laugh
 
irateplatypus's Avatar
 
Location: dar al-harb
i find this situation to be funny on many levels.
__________________
If you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.

~ Winston Churchill

Last edited by irateplatypus; 02-01-2005 at 07:35 PM..
irateplatypus is offline  
Old 02-02-2005, 07:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
one of the funniest moments in the film "control room"--which is about al jazeera--comes when the news producer (one of the film's central characters and who seems like an interesting guy to have a drink or six with) says:
"if fox news offered me a job, i would take it"
and then tries
for a short time
to keep a straight face.

so now you have this article.
which shows that the author saw the film.
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
Old 02-02-2005, 08:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
thinktank
Guest
 
That scared the shit out of me when i saw it yesterday... I think my head might have exploded if it had been real.
 
Old 02-02-2005, 08:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Psycho
 
connyosis's Avatar
 
Location: Sweden - Land of the sodomite damned
Oh thank the Lord this isn't for real...
It had me fooled until somewhere around replacing Bush with Ted Kennedy.
__________________
If atheism is a religion, then not collecting stamps is a hobby.
connyosis is offline  
Old 02-02-2005, 11:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Psycho
 
Location: IOWA
Funny...wrong...but funny!
__________________
Friends don't shake hands, friends 'gotta HUG!
drakers is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 10:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rail Baron
 
stevo's Avatar
 
Location: Tallyfla
thats great. but they should by aljazeera and just shut it down.
stevo is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 10:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
sure--god forbid that any news outlet not totally in the service of the americans should exist out there. the american propaganda shell should be everywhere and should be absolute. great idea.
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rail Baron
 
stevo's Avatar
 
Location: Tallyfla
As long as its main purpose is anti-american propaganda, then yes, shut it down.
stevo is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 11:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Getting Medieval on your ass
 
Coppertop's Avatar
 
Location: 13th century Europe
You're name wouldn't happen to be Jeb, would it?
Coppertop is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
the problem for the american right is that al jazeera simply operates outside its control.
that does not make it "anti-american"
but you can believe what you like, really" statements made by asshats like rumsfeld about al jazeera on the assumption that you have neither watched it nor seen its webversion--or you could actually read/watch and figure it out for yourself.

which may be an anti-american suggestion--bushworld is not big on independence of thinking.
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rail Baron
 
stevo's Avatar
 
Location: Tallyfla
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachboy
the problem for the american right is that al jazeera simply operates outside its control.
that does not make it "anti-american"
but you can believe what you like, really" statements made by asshats like rumsfeld about al jazeera on the assumption that you have neither watched it nor seen its webversion--or you could actually read/watch and figure it out for yourself.

which may be an anti-american suggestion--bushworld is not big on independence of thinking.
great point

so you're saying you watch aljazzy and believe it to paint an honest picture of america. If so, you're more twisted than I initially suspected.

My name's not Jeb, but he's my neighbor.
stevo is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
Psycho
 
connyosis's Avatar
 
Location: Sweden - Land of the sodomite damned
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo
great point

so you're saying you watch aljazzy and believe it to paint an honest picture of america. If so, you're more twisted than I initially suspected.

My name's not Jeb, but he's my neighbor.
So you're saying you watch Fox News and believe it to paint an honest picture of anything at all? If so, you're more gullible than I thought was possible...
__________________
If atheism is a religion, then not collecting stamps is a hobby.
connyosis is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rail Baron
 
stevo's Avatar
 
Location: Tallyfla
If you don't think FNC paints an honest picture of anything at all there is really no point in discussing anything with you.
stevo is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: Right here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo
If you don't think FNC paints an honest picture of anything at all there is really no point in discussing anything with you.
look at that, finally one of your posts I can respond to civilly...

you're right! there really isn't any point in you discussing anything with me.
__________________
"The theory of a free press is that truth will emerge from free discussion, not that it will be presented perfectly and instantly in any one account." -- Walter Lippmann

"You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists." -- Abbie Hoffman
smooth is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 03:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Kiss of Death
 
Location: Perpetual wind and sorrow
I've never got how FNC is so bad nor wrong? I realize the bias is pretty obvious. Any takers care to enlighten me?
__________________
To win a war you must serve no master but your ambition.
Mojo_PeiPei is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 03:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
Getting Medieval on your ass
 
Coppertop's Avatar
 
Location: 13th century Europe
http://www.outfoxed.org/
Coppertop is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 06:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
Rail Baron
 
stevo's Avatar
 
Location: Tallyfla
well mojo,

First of all corperations are bad and rupert has a real big one, that makes him real bad. Second, fox news displays the flag, and is always in red, white, & blue. Third, they say a lot of things liberals don't want to hear. So when you add it up, FNC is nothing more than a corperate conservative mouthpiece that will do and say anything to keep bush in power, because with rupert's help they're gonna put an end to term limits and we'll all have to go to church on sunday and denounce evolution.
stevo is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 09:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
Psycho
 
connyosis's Avatar
 
Location: Sweden - Land of the sodomite damned
You're trolling right? Please tell me you're trolling...

But yeah, I guess you're right. Fox IS fair and balanced news, and anyone that says something that could be considered being "anti-american" should be taken off the air and preferably locked up. What is this freedom of speech thing anyway?
__________________
If atheism is a religion, then not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Last edited by connyosis; 02-03-2005 at 09:56 PM..
connyosis is offline  
Old 02-03-2005, 09:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Psycho
 
connyosis's Avatar
 
Location: Sweden - Land of the sodomite damned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_PeiPei
I've never got how FNC is so bad nor wrong? I realize the bias is pretty obvious. Any takers care to enlighten me?
In my opinion it's the fact that they do not report the news in a objective way, they always mix in their own opinions in the news.
Now, I don't mind this in say a debate show or anything, for example I do dislike Bill O'Reilly, but still I think he has the right to say whatever he please on his own show. News reporting should be just that though, reporting news. No personal spin on everything.
(And yes, of course I realize that other networks most likely put their own spin to news they report. No one however does it as painfully obvious as Fox)
__________________
If atheism is a religion, then not collecting stamps is a hobby.
connyosis is offline  
Old 02-04-2005, 07:10 AM   #32 (permalink)
Rail Baron
 
stevo's Avatar
 
Location: Tallyfla
Well, at least with fox you know what your getting. Their 'bias' stands out so blatantly because the of way the mainstream press has been disguising their bias all these years. To the naive, they make it look like they report in an unbiased fasion, but once you look from the outside, and see a bigger picture, CNN and MSNBC are just as biased, if not more so, than FNC.

Us on the right have learned to live with the liberal bias in the media, and fox news came about to fill a niche that was open. But those on the left can't seem to get over the fact that fox acts differently than the other new outlets, and inserts both sides of the arguement even if it is right more than left.

So stop crying about it and change the channel back to your CNN comfort zone if what fox says gets you so mad.
stevo is offline  
Old 02-04-2005, 08:45 AM   #33 (permalink)
Psycho
 
connyosis's Avatar
 
Location: Sweden - Land of the sodomite damned
CNN and MSNBC more biased than Fox... Ok, whatever you say...
__________________
If atheism is a religion, then not collecting stamps is a hobby.
connyosis is offline  
Old 02-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
conservatives talk about personal responsibility while never accepting any of it--so here, when the problems with fox news are obvious to anyone who looks, you get a series of bland relativizing moves the point of which is to diffuse responsibility. fox is not like other networks.
aparently that gets too close to something wrong that conservatives might have to acknowledge.
so "well, cnn and msnbc are blah blah blah..."

it would be funny if it were not so...o what's the word...spineless.

and this from the same political position that advocates a kind of high school machiavelli as forgein policy guide, that advocates bombing the shit out of everyplace understood as 'anti-american" blah blah blah. the kind of militarism that can only happen if you know other people will die while you talk; the kind of personal responsibility that always, only, applies to other people.
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
Old 02-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
can't help but laugh
 
irateplatypus's Avatar
 
Location: dar al-harb
to say that fox news is much more conservative than other tv networks is true. to say that fox news is on the conservative side of america's center is also probably true.

however, that in itself says nothing to the accuracy of their reporting. imagine a scale from 1 to 100 that gauges the bias inherent in any news source. 1 is ultra-conservative slant, 100 extreme-liberal propaanda, 50 is the perfect reporting of all issues with complete objectivity.

if you group the majority of tv news sources at 75 and foxnews at 35 you satisfy most people's claims. fox is radically conservative for a tv network, it certainly has a right-wing bias... but its score is nearer the center than other networks.

so you see, to atomically make the claim that foxnews has a conservative bias can be at once correct and irrelevant.
__________________
If you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.

~ Winston Churchill
irateplatypus is offline  
Old 02-04-2005, 02:00 PM   #36 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
objectivity is an illusion.
people look for it so they can go to sleep while processing "information"
you think that because there is a camera involved that what is shown is necessarily accurate, it seems.
that is really pretty naieve.

the only problem with knowing this is that you cant really trust any single source of information--you have to gather, coalate, sift, interpret--all actively.

fox is problematic at the level of information, how it is staged, how it is interpreted. fox is even more obviously problematic in its editorial slant, but at least there you know what you are in for and have a remote presumably.
in a perverse way, its obviousness is something to be admired, since it apporaches a honesty within more general stream of falsehoods (fair and balanced, say)

fox is obviously dimissable source if you are looking for information not already packaged in terms of conservative presuppositions.
and would you not think that there should be something to information beyond the reinforcement of arbitrary political predispositions? something--maybe--that makes you think a little rather than something that functions to reionforce a sense of mastery of the world based on assumptions that you know--evne if you do not agree--can be understood as removed from the reality that other folk know about?
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
Old 02-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #37 (permalink)
can't help but laugh
 
irateplatypus's Avatar
 
Location: dar al-harb
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachboy
objectivity is an illusion.
is that so? i'm not sure how you can give an argument like that without cutting off any branch you choose to stand on. you can say that people are incapable of being perfectly objective... true. but it's equally true to say that no one is perfect. even so, i can point to some people who are more perfect than others. similarly, some journalists are more objective than others.

Quote:
people look for it so they can go to sleep while processing "information" you think that because there is a camera involved that what is shown is necessarily accurate, it seems. that is really pretty naieve.
if it weren't such a silly thing to say i'd be insulted.

Quote:
the only problem with knowing this is that you cant really trust any single source of information--you have to gather, coalate, sift, interpret--all actively.
who would argue? who is saying that any source of news is the best source in every instance? if you knew anything about me you'd understand that i consider tv coverage to be the medium least adept to covering news... severely handicapping the stock i put into ANY tv network's news.

Quote:
fox is obviously dimissable source if you are looking for information not already packaged in terms of conservative presuppositions.
the presuppositions are granted. however, if perfect objectivity is unattainable (or an illusion if you prefer) then you must assume that all news coverage is built on presuppositions. why criticize fox so much if all news is the same? i think the answer is that it most offends your sensibilities, not that you can demonstrate it is more beholden to a particular bias than other networks.


Quote:
and would you not think that there should be something to information beyond the reinforcement of arbitrary political predispositions?
of course, who could you be speaking to? your whole post seemed to be geared on the faulty (and imagined) premise that anyone encourages foxnews as the sole source of news gathering.
__________________
If you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.

~ Winston Churchill

Last edited by irateplatypus; 02-04-2005 at 02:18 PM..
irateplatypus is offline  
Old 02-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
perhaps so, irate. i succumb to the illusions generated by a message board once again. my apologies if my inferences about your position ran counter to how you operate in 3-d life.

i guess the problem is that you take your news gathering habits to be universal, just as i took my assumptions about yours to fit into a pattern that i--for better or worse--know about from quantitative data--there is a really quite depressing study from cornell about american attitudes toward muslims that contains a range of quite damning data about patterns of news gathering and conservative politics--i dont have time at the moment to search the link up, but you could probably get it via the title (which is i think accurate) and the cornell affiliation.

as for the point that started your post--well sure....well no----you assume that the premises of the argument i made would operate in the same register as claims to objectivity. they dont. you were tricked by the form of the statement. or because all there was was the statement, you reached reasonable conclusions that turn out to be false.
this one would be easy to explain over a beer in real life--i could attempt a version here if you like, but only after i take a certain impatient husky for a walk. but in th meantime, think how this question would be resolved from a roughly marxist viewpoint, and you'll work out the premises for yourself.
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
 

Tags
aljazeera, buys, fox, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:49 AM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360