Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Politics


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 07:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
NCB
Junkie
 
NCB's Avatar
 
Location: Tobacco Road
Playgirl editor fired after admitting being Republican

Quote:
'PLAYGIRL' EDITOR FIRED AFTER OUTING SELF AS REPUBLICAN
Mon Mar 21 2005 10:09:48 ET

**Exclusive**

PLAYGIRL editor-in-chief Michele Zipp has been stripped of her duties after she revealed how she voted Republican in the 2004 election.

Zipp, in an e-mail, claims she was fired after an onslaught of liberal backlash.

"Hello Drudge,

"After your coverage of my article about coming out and voting Republican, I did receive many letters of support from fellow Republican voters, but it was not without repercussions. Criticism from the liberal left ensued. A few days after the onslaught of liberal backlash, I was released from my duties at Playgirl magazine.

"After underlings expressed their disinterest of working for an outed Republican editor, I have a strong suspicion that my position was no longer valued by Playgirl executives. I also received a phone call from a leading official from Playgirl magazine, in which he stated with a laugh, "I wouldn't have hired you if I knew you were a Republican. "I just wanted to let you know of the fear the liberal left has about a woman with power possessing Republican views."

Now, don't get me wrong. A private business should be able to fire anyone at anytime (so long as they abide by the Title VII rules). However, the left who claims to hold the monopoly on tolerance, seems to have a hard time practicing what they preach. This episode is just one more example.

Thoughts? Should politcal affiliation be enough reason to fire someone?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Stewart, Former Minister of the Environment of Canada
"No matter if the science is all phony, there are collateral environmental benefits.... Climate change [provides] the greatest chance to bring about justice and equality in the world."
NCB is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 07:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cracking the Whip
 
Lebell's Avatar
 
Location: Sexymama's arms...
I assume it's Drudge, but do you have a link?
__________________
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!
Lebell is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
NCB
Junkie
 
NCB's Avatar
 
Location: Tobacco Road
http://drudgereport.com/flash3pg1.htm
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Stewart, Former Minister of the Environment of Canada
"No matter if the science is all phony, there are collateral environmental benefits.... Climate change [provides] the greatest chance to bring about justice and equality in the world."
NCB is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
My future is coming on
 
lurkette's Avatar
 
Moderator Emeritus
Location: east of the sun and west of the moon
That's idiotic. If for some reason her politics were getting in the way of her performing her job effectively, that'd be one thing, but just firing her because people don't want to work with a Republican is disgusting and childish. Sour grapes. It's not that liberals resent a woman with power possessing Republican views, it's the deep bitterness they (we) have at losing the last election. Quitcher bitching and figure out how to parlay your views into a viable vision.
__________________
"If ten million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

- Anatole France
lurkette is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tilted
 
Location: Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands (find it on a map, it is there (somewhere))
I f this is true it is a sad day for freedom of speech, no matter what political view you have
__________________
Somnia, terrores magicos, miracula, sagas,
Nocturnus lemures, portentaque.
Horace
energus is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Loser
 
This is almost as disconcerting as the woman who was fired from her bank job because she spoke up at a school meeting.

But not quite.

If I were management at Playgirl I might have fired this person solely based on the fact that she actively supports politicians who want to shutdown my magazine.

But if it is true that management fired her because her staff objected to her political views, that just pisses me off.
Manx is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
Hmmmmm....

Let's see, Playgirl last time I checked was considered porn (maybe wrong don't read it, but from what I have heard).

Now the GOP wants to crack down hard on porn.

So would it make sense for a business to keep and to promote someone as a leader of that company, that publicly admits to voting for people that would censor and fine your company?

That would be like Smith and Wesson having a VP admit and talk openly about how he votes for Democrats.

Well, the public perception rightly or wrongly is that Dems. favor gun control.

That shows a conflict of interest, and could very well harm Smith and Wesson's business.

So while she had the right to vote for anyone she chose to, publicly stating she voted for the party that would harm you, would be grounds, in my mind for dismissal.

Exactly the same way that in my example the VP for S&W should lose his job.

The email she sent to Drudge sounds more like a disenfranchised former employee that has an ax to grind. Not to mention, Drudge is sooooo very non partisan that he wouldn't try to take swipes and post letters that only slam one party while trying to make the author look totally innocent.

It would be like my example S&W guy going on talk shows and talking about why he was fired.

I'm sorry but companies have the right to protect themselves, and dismiss anoyone that publicly shows a conflict of interest and this is an example... nothing more nothing less.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 03-21-2005 at 08:48 AM..
pan6467 is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 08:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Easy Rider
 
flstf's Avatar
 
Location: Moscow on the Ohio
pan6467

There are many Republicans who do not want to ban pornography and many Democrats who are against additional gun control. Heck they even close some plants so that the union men can go deer hunting when the season begins.

Sure, they have every right to fire her, but it does seem silly to pigeon hole people that way.
flstf is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted
 
Redlemon's Avatar
 
Donor
Location: New England
I'd like to hear some direct comments from Playgirl before making my decision on this case. I don't really trust Drudge as a primary source, and I suspect that Michele Zipp's comments aren't free of bias.
__________________
I can't read your signature. Sorry.
Redlemon is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
i agree with the folks above who have raised questions about this story.

how can anyone assume that the linked report is self-contained, self-explanatory...

what basis is there, apart from how the former editor framed her own predicament, for making ANY evaluations about what went on at playgirl?

all that i see is an example of the right's persecution trope.
what i also see is a potential sollicitation for free legal representation from a conservative group, on the order of the rutherford foundation.

what i do not see is a story that enables anyone to make any comments about what is going on in this case.
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 10:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
NCB
Junkie
 
NCB's Avatar
 
Location: Tobacco Road
Roach, sometimes it just ain't a vast right wing conspiracy. The woman knew she worked with a bunch of lib and thus knew what their tolerance level would be at. I would have fired her for stupidity alone.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Stewart, Former Minister of the Environment of Canada
"No matter if the science is all phony, there are collateral environmental benefits.... Climate change [provides] the greatest chance to bring about justice and equality in the world."
NCB is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 12:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
nothing in what i wrote should have implied any conspiracy, ncb. i dont knwo where you got the idea....what i said was that you presented no information--or not enough information--for any coherent response to be generated. for you it seems not to be a problem because the factoids fit with assumptions about the treatment afforded conservatives by those who oppose them--if you did not hold these assumptions, you would not have treated this email posted to drudge as if it constituted a complete or even a partial account of what actually happened.

that is the problem.

that you seem unconcerned about waiting for factual material before jumping to the conclusion that this is obviously a case of sanction of political beliefs says more about the problematic ways in which you form judgements than it does anything else.
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
More anal, less shenanigans
 
xxSquirtxx's Avatar
 
Location: Always lurking
She got fired for that?

Fucking assholes.
xxSquirtxx is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
NCB
Junkie
 
NCB's Avatar
 
Location: Tobacco Road
Quote:
nothing in what i wrote should have implied any conspiracy, ncb
Quote:
what i also see is a potential sollicitation for free legal representation from a conservative group, on the order of the rutherford foundation.
I referred to ^^this^^ comment. Since you see that I may have jumped to conclusions, you do the same, by claiming there may be some secret motives behind her letter.

BTW, how would you feel if her story does indeed turn out to be accurate, since that's more what we're looking for here
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Stewart, Former Minister of the Environment of Canada
"No matter if the science is all phony, there are collateral environmental benefits.... Climate change [provides] the greatest chance to bring about justice and equality in the world."
NCB is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 12:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
More anal, less shenanigans
 
xxSquirtxx's Avatar
 
Location: Always lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan6467
Now the GOP wants to crack down hard on porn.

So would it make sense for a business to keep and to promote someone as a leader of that company, that publicly admits to voting for people that would censor and fine your company?
I must disagree with this.

Why does republican have to = asexual? Bullshit.
xxSquirtxx is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 12:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
NCB
Junkie
 
NCB's Avatar
 
Location: Tobacco Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSquirtxx
She got fired for that?

Fucking assholes.

Whatta ya' know, you right wing kook


mods, we know each other, no flaming here
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Stewart, Former Minister of the Environment of Canada
"No matter if the science is all phony, there are collateral environmental benefits.... Climate change [provides] the greatest chance to bring about justice and equality in the world."
NCB is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 12:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
More anal, less shenanigans
 
xxSquirtxx's Avatar
 
Location: Always lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCB
Whatta ya' know, you right wing kook


mods, we know each other, no flaming here



xxSquirtxx is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 07:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Seaver's Avatar
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Roach, sometimes it just ain't a vast right wing conspiracy. The woman knew she worked with a bunch of lib and thus knew what their tolerance level would be at. I would have fired her for stupidity alone.
Well then that woman who was fired from the bank should have been fired because she would have known that many of the people that have money in the bank were conservative.

I dont see a difference between the two. It threatened business, this one under conflict of interests in a very broad brush. If she worked at the Playboy magasine of course she wouldnt be supporting the very right who want to cut off her job. It's a broad brush but I can see the reasoning.
Seaver is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 01:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by flstf
pan6467

There are many Republicans who do not want to ban pornography and many Democrats who are against additional gun control. Heck they even close some plants so that the union men can go deer hunting when the season begins.

Sure, they have every right to fire her, but it does seem silly to pigeon hole people that way.
But the public perception of the GOP is that they want to ban porn, and it is very much an issue with Bush. Not all GOP want to ban porn but that IS the perception.

It's public perception.... there doesn't have to be fact behind it.

Again, if she had chosen to keep quiet about who she voted for she would have been ok....

Just as in my example the Dems. have been painted to be percieved to want gun control. Not all Dems. are anti-gun but again that IS the perception.

Public perception. Both the lady and the hypothetical man, by making their voting public can adversely affect business. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 03-22-2005 at 02:03 AM..
pan6467 is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 04:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
More anal, less shenanigans
 
xxSquirtxx's Avatar
 
Location: Always lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan6467
Again, if she had chosen to keep quiet about who she voted for she would have been ok....
You have a point. Whoopi Goldberg opened her big, fat piehole and slammed Bush, and Slimfast canned her.
xxSquirtxx is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 05:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
yep.... and the GOP laughed.... they didn't cry foul as they do now. Showing yet again how hypocritical they truly are.

I felt at the time Whoopie had the right to say what she wanted, SlimFast had the right to can her.... But that Slimfast knew her politics and by doing what they did allowed great publicity for them.

Slimfast didn't even claim to be a GOP company they just said that they didn't want politics to be a part of their advertising..... If I were a conspiracist, I'd say Slimfast had had it planned.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"
pan6467 is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 06:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Seaver's Avatar
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
yep.... and the GOP laughed.... they didn't cry foul as they do now. Showing yet again how hypocritical they truly are.
As I'm sure the same people who cried foul at the bank-woman's case and the Slimfast case cried foul are smiling now. Hypocracy arent relegated to those who hold political view opposed to you.
Seaver is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 07:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaver
As I'm sure the same people who cried foul at the bank-woman's case and the Slimfast case cried foul are smiling now. Hypocracy arent relegated to those who hold political view opposed to you.
I didn't cry foul. The Slimfast case I thought was nothing more than a PR "get your name out" issue. As for the bank lady..... I honestly haven't heard anything about it.

And no it's not all GOP ..... but my feeling is that the same ones (Limbaugh, Drudge, Fox News etc) that laughed over Whoopie are crying foul now. And because they have such loud voices this will become far more an issue than Whoopie or whatever this bank lady's case is.

Hypocracy isn't a 1 way street.... just some scream it louder than others (Limbaugh, Drudge, O'Reilly.... etc) and will make it a federal case, because in their eyes this is just evil...... yet they do the same thing.

The hatred for each other and intolerance in this country is far out of hand. It's going to destroy this country.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 03-22-2005 at 07:20 AM..
pan6467 is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 07:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Ilow's Avatar
 
Location: Pats country
I agree with Manx and Pan's original comments. Being Republican, or at least supporting those views is pretty hypocritical if you work for a pornography magazine. I feel like it is less a matter of liberal intolerance than simply removing the fox from the henhouse. I wish it weren't this way, I wish the republicans could get off their moral high horse and admit that they look at pron and screw around on their wives etc, but in this polarized political climate, you have to assume anyone who willingly paints themselves as a Republican does not have the interests of a porn magazine at heart.
__________________
"Religion is the one area of our discourse in which it is considered noble to pretend to be certain about things no human being could possibly be certain about"
--Sam Harris
Ilow is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 07:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Seaver's Avatar
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
I wish it weren't this way, I wish the republicans could get off their moral high horse and admit that they look at pron and screw around on their wives etc, but in this polarized political climate, you have to assume anyone who willingly paints themselves as a Republican does not have the interests of a porn magazine at heart.
I'm a conservative and I love watching porn. Painting a broad brush there buddy, there's an infinate amount of people within those bounds. That would be like me accusing you of being a communist who loves to kill babies just because you dont support Bush.
Seaver is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 08:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
Easy Rider
 
flstf's Avatar
 
Location: Moscow on the Ohio
I see nothing to be gained by painting all Republicans as ascribing to the policies of the far right portion of their party or all Democrats as ascribing to the policies of the far left portion of their party. The truth is that the majority of people are somewhere between the extremes.

Some of my aquaintances are pro-business like Republicans supposedly are and pro-personal freedom (civil rights) like Democrats supposedly are. Whether they can be considered Democrat or Republican depends on who they voted for in the last election cycle.
flstf is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 08:19 AM   #27 (permalink)
 
StanT's Avatar
 
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by flstf
Whether they can be considered Democrat or Republican depends on who they voted for in the last election cycle.
For which office? I vote for the best candidate, regardless of party. My votes are all over the place, office by office. I find both parties repulsive at the moment.

These days, it is unusual for an employer to make any comment or criticism of a dismised employee. We'll never know the full story here. She could have been fired for snorting coke off her desk for all we know.
StanT is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #28 (permalink)
Devoted
 
Redlemon's Avatar
 
Donor
Location: New England
I just did a Google News Search: playgirl zipp to see if there were any updates, and so far this story is only on Blogcritics and the editoral page of the National Ledger. According to Blogcritics, this was released
Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- The following is a statement from PLAYGIRL Magazine regarding the dismissal of Michele Zipp, editor-in-chief:

New York, NY, March 21, 2005 - "For more than 30 years, the Playgirl name has been synonymous with freedom and empowerment.for women, by women, about women. Playgirl values all political affiliations and anyone on its staff is free to express those opinions.

In our decision to replace Ms. Zipp, the magazine is taking a new direction editorially and creatively. We wish only the best for Michele in her future endeavors.

Contact: "Mike" Simons/Lee Migliara
PLAYGIRL
Email: {removed}
...although I can't find a cross-confirmation of that posting anywhere. in fact, the story has fallen off of Drudge's front page as well.
__________________
I can't read your signature. Sorry.

Last edited by Redlemon; 03-22-2005 at 08:27 AM..
Redlemon is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 08:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Ilow's Avatar
 
Location: Pats country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaver
I'm a conservative and I love watching porn. Painting a broad brush there buddy, there's an infinate amount of people within those bounds. That would be like me accusing you of being a communist who loves to kill babies just because you dont support Bush.
I appologize for coming off that way Seaver. There are undoubtedly millions of Republicans who love watching porn, that's basically what I was saying, unfortunately, the fact that the Republicans (as a party) claim a moral mandate means specificly and by definition that they are against porn. I was just saying that you can't have it both ways. IMO, you cannot simultaniously legislate morality and support pornography.
__________________
"Religion is the one area of our discourse in which it is considered noble to pretend to be certain about things no human being could possibly be certain about"
--Sam Harris
Ilow is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 01:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
Limbaugh brought it up today and kept calling her a babe, guess he supposedly saw her on Fox News.

He of course did the blah blah blah sue... shows how desperate Dems are.... blah blah blah..... She's going places she doesn't have to worry about a new job..... blah blah blah

I seem to recall when Whoopie got fired he said it proved the GOP was more prevelent and that a great justice was done..... hmmmmmmmm.... which is it? Firing for politics is right or wrong and desperate????????

Also shows me that she knew full well what she was doing. Perhaps she was on thin ice anyway and this was a way to save face and get on the GOP/Fox and such and become a new Ann Coulter.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 03-22-2005 at 01:47 PM..
pan6467 is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #31 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCB
Roach, sometimes it just ain't a vast right wing conspiracy.
If you can go three days without saying 'vast right wing conspiracy', I'll give you $5. This story is far from vast, far from a cospiracy. News media bias is not usually a part of a conspiracy. Sometimes, it's just a writer who wants very much to get you on their side. And you know what? Sometimes people are wrong. This, on the surface, seems a bit like some woman who lost her job and is trying to both strike back at the company, and get herself on some newspaper covers. It'd be funny if her fame lead her to pose for playboy.
Willravel is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 02:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
More anal, less shenanigans
 
xxSquirtxx's Avatar
 
Location: Always lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilow
I agree with Manx and Pan's original comments. Being Republican, or at least supporting those views is pretty hypocritical if you work for a pornography magazine.
You do realize how narrow-minded and stereotypical that sounds, don't you? Are you really that unaware of the diversity of the GOP?

Apparently.

Do you even know what a fiscal conservative is? Are you aware that a lot of Libertarians vote Republican?

I suppose, if I continue your line of thinking, I can say that all Democrats are immoral heathens, despite the fact that I know damn well there are countless (religious and nonreligious) very conservative Democrats.
xxSquirtxx is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 02:58 PM   #33 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSquirtxx
You do realize how narrow-minded and stereotypical that sounds, don't you? Are you really that unaware of the diversity of the GOP?

Apparently.

Do you even know what a fiscal conservative is? Are you aware that a lot of Libertarians vote Republican?

I suppose, if I continue your line of thinking, I can say that all Democrats are immoral heathens, despite the fact that I know damn well there are countless (religious and nonreligious) very conservative Democrats.
I think there is a difference in GOP as there is in Dems.

This lady made it very clear she supported Bush in every way not just some GOP issues.

This is an administration that is wreaking havoc on the porn industry and if you do not think so ask our founder and leader of TFP land HALX.

There is a huge difference in saying I support fiscal responsibility (which Bush shows he has no idea how to be) and I like the GOP platform. And saying, I support the Neo-Cons and the right and the Dems are evil controlling and blah blah blah.

Obviously, she praised Bush and Neo-cons and bashed Dems because that is the ONLY way Limbaugh and Drudge would have ever mentioned her to begin all this.

And when she did so, she no longer showed support for the company she worked for. Plain and simple. To have her go on Fox and e-mail drudge and try to make this a huge issue shows that she knew full well what she was doing.

To me, this lady probably would say she fucked Hugh himself to get her job, if she thought it would further her career. And that's all this is.... as Limbaugh said today "she doesn't have to worry about getting a new job."
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"
pan6467 is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 04:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
....is off his meds...you were warned.
 
KMA-628's Avatar
 
Location: The Wild Wild West
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan6467
Limbaugh brought it up today and kept calling her a babe, guess he supposedly saw her on Fox News.
Politics aside, she is a hottie.

She also said she isn't filing suit, so I am not really worried about this.
__________________
Before you criticize someone, you need to walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get angry at you.......you're a mile away.......and they're barefoot.
KMA-628 is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #35 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Ilow's Avatar
 
Location: Pats country
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSquirtxx
You do realize how narrow-minded and stereotypical that sounds, don't you? Are you really that unaware of the diversity of the GOP?

Apparently.

Do you even know what a fiscal conservative is? Are you aware that a lot of Libertarians vote Republican?

I suppose, if I continue your line of thinking, I can say that all Democrats are immoral heathens, despite the fact that I know damn well there are countless (religious and nonreligious) very conservative Democrats.
I am aware of the diversity in the GOP. Politically there is very little. Check the voting records on social issues to confirm. This is a social issue, not a fiscal one, don't try to bring fiscal concerns into the argument to muddy the water, and yes I know what fiscal conservativism is (it's balanced budgets, you know like we had five years ago.) The Republicans declared THEMSELVES that they were elected on the basis of their superior moral standards. You simply cannot have it both ways, you can't simultaneusly attempt to legislate morals including pornography and free speech, and then support the pornographic industry also. You have to take the good with the bad, so if you truely support the current republican regime, that means no more girly mags or internet pron, or backdoor penetration.
__________________
"Religion is the one area of our discourse in which it is considered noble to pretend to be certain about things no human being could possibly be certain about"
--Sam Harris
Ilow is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
....is off his meds...you were warned.
 
KMA-628's Avatar
 
Location: The Wild Wild West
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilow
This is a social issue, not a fiscal one, don't try to bring fiscal concerns into the argument to muddy the water, and yes I know what fiscal conservativism is (it's balanced budgets, you know like we had five years ago.) .
Ah, no it isn't.

Having a balanced budget is nice, but that is not what "fiscal conservatism" is about.
__________________
Before you criticize someone, you need to walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get angry at you.......you're a mile away.......and they're barefoot.
KMA-628 is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 05:54 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Ilow's Avatar
 
Location: Pats country
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA-628
Ah, no it isn't.

Having a balanced budget is nice, but that is not what "fiscal conservatism" is about.
my mistake, i didn't hit the sarcasm button.
__________________
"Religion is the one area of our discourse in which it is considered noble to pretend to be certain about things no human being could possibly be certain about"
--Sam Harris
Ilow is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 05:56 PM   #38 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Seaver's Avatar
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
I am aware of the diversity in the GOP. Politically there is very little.
Do you have any idea how condescending that is?

Do I put you in the same house I put PETA in or the terrorist actions of many in Green Peace (look it up)? No, I give you the respect of basing off your beliefs and what you say. Dont put me in the same house of Ann Coulter or many other radicals just because it is convenient for you.
Seaver is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 08:59 PM   #39 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Ilow's Avatar
 
Location: Pats country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaver
Do you have any idea how condescending that is?

Do I put you in the same house I put PETA in or the terrorist actions of many in Green Peace (look it up)? No, I give you the respect of basing off your beliefs and what you say. Dont put me in the same house of Ann Coulter or many other radicals just because it is convenient for you.
It seem that it is easier for you to think that i am being condecending than for you to examine the hypocracy in the Republican party. Perhaps it would be more clear to you if I said "I am aware of the diversity of the people who consider themselves Republican, however the Republican politicians who do not appear to be as significantly diverse." You could easily argue that the Democratic politicians do the same things as their Republican counterparts (look at porn, have out of wedlock children and affairs, swear, whatever) but the difference is they have not run campaigns on morality and declared themselves winners of a mandate because of their higher moral ground. The fact remains that a fairly significant part of the general agenda of the elected republicans is creating legislation around what they believe is moral. if you vote Republican, as you have every right to do, just know that you are shooting yourself in the foot if you also support free speech, privacy, pornography etcetera.
As far as the latter part of your statment, it is a spurrius, silly comparison because greenpeace and PETA are not elected officials and a fringe element at that. They do not impact my life through legislation (sure they may annoy me with their late night ads) they will not impact my rights as an american citizen.
__________________
"Religion is the one area of our discourse in which it is considered noble to pretend to be certain about things no human being could possibly be certain about"
--Sam Harris
Ilow is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 10:56 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned
 
If you worked for Coke and publicly announced you drink Pepsi, you would almost definitely be fired. This is no different.

And "liberals proclaming tolerance" means less than shit then it's ONE company out of how many? One voice of liveralism out of how many? One does not represent the many.
analog is offline  
 

Tags
admitting, editor, fired, playgirl, republican

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360