Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Politics


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Submit to me, you know you want to
 
ShaniFaye's Avatar
 
Location: Lilburn, Ga
Robertson suggests God smote Sharon

(I wasnt sure if this was the right forum for this, since I dont hang out here much)

Quote:
Evangelist links Israeli leader's stroke to 'dividing God's land'

Thursday, January 5, 2006; Posted: 7:08 p.m. EST (00:08 GMT)


(CNN) -- Television evangelist Pat Robertson suggested Thursday that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine retribution for the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, which Robertson opposed.

"He was dividing God's land, and I would say, 'Woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the [European Union], the United Nations or the United States of America,'" Robertson told viewers of his long-running television show, "The 700 Club."

"God says, 'This land belongs to me, and you'd better leave it alone,'" he said.

Robertson's show airs on the ABC Family cable network and claims about 1 million viewers daily.

Sharon, 77, clung to life in a Jerusalem hospital Thursday after surgery to treat a severe stroke, his doctors said.

The prime minister, who withdrew Israeli settlers and troops from Gaza and parts of the West Bank last summer over heated objections from his own Likud Party, was breathing with the aid of a ventilator after doctors operated to stop the bleeding in his brain.

In Washington, President Bush offered praise for Sharon in a speech on Thursday.

"We pray for his recovery," Bush said. "He's a good man, a strong man. A man who cared deeply about the security of the Israeli people, and a man who had a vision for peace. May God bless him."

Daniel Ayalon, Israel's ambassador to the United States, compared Robertson's remarks to the overheated rhetoric of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. (Full story)

He called the comments "outrageous" and said they were not something to expect "from any of our friends."

"He is a great friend of Israel and a great friend of Prime Minister Sharon himself, so I am very surprised," Ayalon told CNN.

Robertson, 75, founded the Christian Coalition and in 1988 failed in a bid for the Republican presidential nomination. He last stirred controversy in August, when he called for the assassination of Venezuela's president, Hugo Chavez. (Full story)

Robertson later apologized, but still compared Chavez to Hitler and former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein in the process.

The same month, the Anti-Defamation League criticized Robertson for warning that God would "bring judgment" against Israel for its withdrawal from Gaza, which it had occupied since the 1967 Mideast war.

Robertson said Thursday that Sharon was "a very likable person, and I am sad to see him in this condition."

He linked Sharon's health problems to the 1995 assassination of Israeli leader Yitzhak Rabin, who signed the Oslo peace accords that granted limited self-rule to Palestinians.

"It was a terrible thing that happened, but nevertheless, now he's dead," Robertson said.

Rabin was gunned down by a religious student opposed to the Oslo accords. The killer, Yigal Amir, admitted to the crime and was sentenced to life in prison.

Rev. Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, criticized Robertson's comments Thursday, saying the televangelist "has a political agenda for the entire world."

"He seems to think God is ready to take out any world leader who stands in the way of that agenda," Lynn said in a written statement.

"A religious leader should not be making callous political points while a man is struggling for his life," he said. "I'm appalled."

Ralph Neas, president of liberal advocacy group People for the American Way, said "it is astonishing that Pat Robertson still wields substantial influence" in the Republican Party.

"Once again, Pat Robertson leaves us speechless with his insensitivity and arrogance," Neas said in a written statement.

According to The Associated Press, Robertson spokeswoman Angell Watts said of people who criticized the comments: "What they're basically saying is, 'How dare Pat Robertson quote the Bible?'"

"This is what the word of God says," Watts told the AP. "This is nothing new to the Christian community."
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/05/rob...ron/index.html


Ok, now this just pisses the hell out of me.....its people like this that keep me from believing organized religion is a good thing. I believe in god, thats no secret but this man just continues to say crap like this, and he honestly believes it!!!
__________________
I want the diabetic plan that comes with rollover carbs. I dont like the unused one expiring at midnite!!
ShaniFaye is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junkie
 
I think pat robertson tries to offend as many people as possible. I'm a devote christian and every time he talks he offends me. One of these days he will have a stroke or a heart attack and then we can all say "God is punishing him for being a jackass and somehow thinking he spoke for God"....
Rekna is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Submit to me, you know you want to
 
ShaniFaye's Avatar
 
Location: Lilburn, Ga
People like roberston scare me.....he emboides everything I find wrong with the world of religion today....I know Im not supposed to judge but good grief he needs a chill pill IMO
__________________
I want the diabetic plan that comes with rollover carbs. I dont like the unused one expiring at midnite!!
ShaniFaye is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
...is a comical chap
 
Grasshopper Green's Avatar
 
Location: Where morons reign supreme
I agree with both of you. This is the sort of thing that really turns off non-Christians (and other Christians, obviously) and gives Christianity a bad name. The thing that is really scary is how many people follow him and believe what he has to say.
__________________
"They say that patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings; steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you king"

Formerly Medusa
Grasshopper Green is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
seeker
 
Location: home
Robertson is pretty much a nutter
what get's me is that he says
"that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine retribution
for the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza"
I would belive god smote him because
he is a mass murdering war criminal.
On trial
List of crimes
But not for attempting peace in the region
Robertson is far beyond waiting for revelations to unfold....
He is actively pushing events to force end time prophecy.
__________________
All ideas in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. (C) 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
"The Voices" (TM). All rights reserved.
alpha phi is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Adequate
 
cyrnel's Avatar
 
Location: In my angry-dome.
*Sigh*

Who will we have when Robertson finally goes off the air?
__________________
There are a vast number of people who are uninformed and heavily propagandized, but fundamentally decent. The propaganda that inundates them is effective when unchallenged, but much of it goes only skin deep. If they can be brought to raise questions and apply their decent instincts and basic intelligence, many people quickly escape the confines of the doctrinal system and are willing to do something to help others who are really suffering and oppressed." -Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media, p. 195
cyrnel is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
seeker
 
Location: home
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrnel
*Sigh*

Who will we have when Robertson finally goes off the air?
The anti-christ......and he will have 43 more followers
seriously....there are hundreds just like him
waiting in the wings.
His son is rising in the ranks too
/scary
__________________
All ideas in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. (C) 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
"The Voices" (TM). All rights reserved.
alpha phi is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cracking the Whip
 
Lebell's Avatar
 
Location: Sexymama's arms...
Oh.

Is he still around?

And does any idiotic thing that spews forth from his mouth still make news?
__________________
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!
Lebell is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deja Moo
 
Elphaba's Avatar
 
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Thank you, Labelle.
Elphaba is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
"And does any idiotic thing that spews forth from his mouth still make news?"

Of course it will. Because it's perfect ammunition for the liberal media to demonize the republican party and christianity. I don't identify with those thoughts any more than the rest of you, but I read that article much differently then the rest of you.

It try's to equate an extreme religious view (albeit harmless), as having significant influence in the republican party. An influence that amount to "a political agenda for the entire world." I've seen Robertson many times, and he has more to say, much of which I have agreed with, than the quotes in this article, In fact, I can't say I've ever heard him say anything this far out any time i've watched him.

This crazy ass quotes are "nothing new to the Christian communty." Seriously, what are you people scared of. Do you really believe the implications of these quotes are as far reaching as the article would suggest. Let me put it another way, do you really believe the influence of these quotes are as far reaching in the christian community (or as devastating), as say a speach by a Muslim radical in that community - which the left spends time justifying - or at the very least doesn't "frighten" you.

You wonder why this makes the news, left by itself I bet this thread would go to 5 pages with the liberals on this board expressing their "moral disgust" at the quote, christianity, and conservatives. That should sort of answer your question.
matthew330 is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Still fighting it.
 
flamingdog's Avatar
 
He gets airtime and press coverage. He spews partisan bile and hatred then props it up by calling it God's word. And he's very possibly mentally ill.

Matthew330: I'm struggling to see what your point is. Do you agree with him? Are you saying nobody listens to what he has to say? Are you saying there ought to be no 'moral disgust' at what he says?

Say what you will about Sharon, Robertson's sense of occasion and timing sure do suck.
flamingdog is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 09:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Deja Moo
 
Elphaba's Avatar
 
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Matthew330:
Quote:
I've seen Robertson many times, and he has more to say, much of which I have agreed with, than the quotes in this article, In fact, I can't say I've ever heard him say anything this far out any time i've watched him.
Perhaps you missed watching, but certainly must have heard of his call to assassinate Chavez? Or perhaps his condemnation of a PA town, who should no longer look for God in times of need.

He does this while raping other countries of their mineral and oil assets. Now, *there's* a righteous man.
Elphaba is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
It's all downhill from here
 
docbungle's Avatar
 
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew330
Of course it will. Because it's perfect ammunition for the liberal media to demonize the republican party and christianity. I don't identify with those thoughts any more than the rest of you, but I read that article much differently then the rest of you.

You wonder why this makes the news, left by itself I bet this thread would go to 5 pages with the liberals on this board expressing their "moral disgust" at the quote, christianity, and conservatives. That should sort of answer your question.
Um. What?

Until you, no one has mentioned republicans in this thread. Or the left or the right. Or liberals.

Are you saying the liberals created this story to make republicans look bad? Or are you saying that its liberals fault that Robertson says dumb shit like this?
__________________
Bad Luck City
docbungle is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Baltimoron
 
djtestudo's Avatar
 
Location: Beeeeeautiful Bel Air, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbungle
Um. What?

Until you, no one has mentioned republicans in this thread. Or the left or the right. Or liberals.

Are you saying the liberals created this story to make republicans look bad? Or are you saying that its liberals fault that Robertson says dumb shit like this?
I believe he's saying that the story is written to make it appear as though Robertson's words have more weight then they really do in order to discredit Republicans/Christians/the right in general.

Now, that is only my impression from his post, since I didn't read the article as nothing Pat Robertson says has any relevence in my Republican, Christian life.
__________________
"Final thought: I just rented Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine. Frankly, it was the worst sports movie I've ever seen."
--Peter Schmuck, The (Baltimore) Sun
djtestudo is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
Robertson is a total nutcase. What's sad is he has a nice amount of followers, and other televangelists don't seem to refute him but rather embrace him. I think some of thise is because of fear that the last person who spoke against him (Jim Baker) ended up destroyed.

I had the displeasure of meeting the man once. My aunt worked for his animation department in the late 80's and early 90's, and when I was stationed in Norfolk I met up with her and she gave me a tour of the CBN facility in VA. Beach. That's how I met the old Pat.

He's very charismatic and his eyes and smile are almost hypnotic..... not warm or comforting but cold and seeing right through you, almost like looking for your weakness. And that was just my impression seeing him in passing, I can't imagine what the effect would be being around him on a regular basis.

I truly believe at one time he did mean well and probably had a great message to send, but the power and greed took over. I have a feeling there's a few skeletons in that man's closet and the hypocrasy in his life has made him totally crazy.

If this had been any other preacher saying this about Sharon, or Chavez or NO or all the other idiocies he has said, that preacher would be without a following or considered a freak with a cult following like Koresh. Unfortunately, he built up a following that as he grew bitter and evil grew bitter and evil with him.

Perhaps, someday before "God calls him home" (to quote another televangelist) old Pat will repent and try to make amends to society and those he has hurt.

For a follower of Jesus' teachings, the man doesn't turn the other cheek but rather finds his enemies' weaknesses and goes hellfire after them, kicking them when they are down. Some day hopefully his followers will wake up and see he teaches the opposite of what Jesus stood and stands for.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"
pan6467 is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junkie
 
I don't think it is fair to associate Christians and Republicans. One does not imply the other in any way. I'm sure most people on this board will call me liberal and i'm a devout Christian.
Rekna is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtestudo
I believe he's saying that the story is written to make it appear as though Robertson's words have more weight then they really do in order to discredit Republicans/Christians/the right in general.

Now, that is only my impression from his post, since I didn't read the article as nothing Pat Robertson says has any relevence in my Republican, Christian life.
The only relevence he has to the GOP is that the leaders of the party use him to get elected and to promote their agendas.

Perhaps his insanity is related to the inner turmoil of trying to pass Jesus' teachings and being in politics. It has definately taken away from the true focus he states he has and that is on Jesus' teachings.

There are far more positive and better things to focus on in the Bible than the Book of Revelations.... Pat. Such as the Book of Matthew Chapter 7 and the story of the 2 houses and of false teachers.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"
pan6467 is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 02:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Paq
Junkie
 
Paq's Avatar
 
Location: South Carolina
seriously...robertson, falwell and the like scare me more than any islamofascist terrorists...ever..ever..have.
__________________
Live.

Chris
Paq is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 03:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paq
seriously...robertson, falwell and the like scare me more than any islamofascist terrorists...ever..ever..have.
There are a few that aren't politically driven (or try to keep politics out of their sermons) like Swaggert, Angely (right here in Akron), the Hour of Power guy, and Billy Graham.

Falwell pretty much really started it in the 70's with "the Moral Majority" and his boycotts of whatever HE (Falwell) deemed wrong. I remember this being the main reason my 2 favorite shows in the 70's (SOAP and WKRP) were cancelled. But, today Falwell isn't that much of a factor anymore, the battle with Flynt really did destroy Falwell.

Robertson just took it a notch higher and once he had eliminated his major competitor, who was more politically silent and taught acceptance of others and actually had a bigger audience, Jim Baker (IMHO a very good televangelist, in what he taught), Robertson was able to truly make waves and not have anyone stop him. And I truly believe Robertson's mission is to make Revelations a reality in his lifetime.

Yes, Robertson is a very scary individual in what he says and what he teaches. The scariest part is that the GOP sells out to the man for his votes. You have a President now that actually uses him as an advisor.

Politics makes strange bedfellows, who would have ever believed in the 70's that Rev. Moon and Robertson would not only support the same president but that president would use both as advisors? Or that both would be very powerful "news sources" to their followers?

If Baker hadn't fucked up and had he continues to keep swaying people away from Robertson, things may be totally different today in the realm of politics and religion.
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 01-06-2006 at 03:52 AM..
pan6467 is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 04:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Submit to me, you know you want to
 
ShaniFaye's Avatar
 
Location: Lilburn, Ga
I would just like to say....I did not post this to start blasting parties, most of you know I dont hang out much in the politics thread and those of you who post here all the time scare the hell out of me (hehehe in a good way though)

My reason for the post was to, as a christian, talk about my disgust for the ideals that come out of this man and the gaul that he has to be God's PR man.

Isnt it possible to just take what he has said and not apply it to party lines?

oh wait...thats a dumb question isnt it

matthew330 said
Quote:
ou wonder why this makes the news, left by itself I bet this thread would go to 5 pages with the liberals on this board expressing their "moral disgust" at the quote, christianity, and conservatives. That should sort of answer your question
well Im sorry matthew, Im not a liberal, Im a republican and Im here to express my moral disgust over Pat Robertson....NOT any particular party
__________________
I want the diabetic plan that comes with rollover carbs. I dont like the unused one expiring at midnite!!
ShaniFaye is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 05:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Getting it.
 
Charlatan's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: Lion City
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew330
"And does any idiotic thing that spews forth from his mouth still make news?"

Of course it will. Because it's perfect ammunition for the liberal media to demonize the republican party and christianity. I don't identify with those thoughts any more than the rest of you, but I read that article much differently then the rest of you.

It try's to equate an extreme religious view (albeit harmless), as having significant influence in the republican party. An influence that amount to "a political agenda for the entire world." I've seen Robertson many times, and he has more to say, much of which I have agreed with, than the quotes in this article, In fact, I can't say I've ever heard him say anything this far out any time i've watched him.

This crazy ass quotes are "nothing new to the Christian communty." Seriously, what are you people scared of. Do you really believe the implications of these quotes are as far reaching as the article would suggest. Let me put it another way, do you really believe the influence of these quotes are as far reaching in the christian community (or as devastating), as say a speach by a Muslim radical in that community - which the left spends time justifying - or at the very least doesn't "frighten" you.

You wonder why this makes the news, left by itself I bet this thread would go to 5 pages with the liberals on this board expressing their "moral disgust" at the quote, christianity, and conservatives. That should sort of answer your question.

What are we scared of? The fact that this idiot *is* a mouth piece and is listened to by many, many people who take him seriously... including yourself it seems.

It is important to expose this charlatan for what he is... a ripe wind bag who *does not* represent the sentiments of the average Christian. Robertson has a big audience and the world is listening.

When the conservative media pundits and conservative politicians denounce him, I will be happy.
__________________
"My hands are on fire. Hands are on fire. Ain't got no more time for all you charlatans and liars."
- Old Man Luedecke
Charlatan is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
Extreme moderation
 
Toaster126's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City, yo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa99
This is the sort of thing that really turns off non-Christians (and other Christians, obviously) and gives Christianity a bad name.
Yep. I think Pat has done more to repel people from Christianity than he has to bring them closer.
__________________
"The question isn't who is going to let me, it's who is going to stop me." (Ayn Rand)
"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers." (M. Scott Peck)
Toaster126 is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rail Baron
 
stevo's Avatar
 
Location: Tallyfla
Whats the past tense of smote? has smitten? smoted? So robertson suggests God has smitten sharon? or robertson suggests God smitted sharon? maybe roberson suggests God has smoten sharon. this is very confusing.
__________________
"If I am such a genius why am I drunk, lost in the desert, with a bullet in my ass?" -Otto Mannkusser
stevo is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan
It is important to expose this charlatan for what he is... a ripe wind bag who *does not* represent the sentiments of the average Christian. Robertson has a big audience and the world is listening.
that was a good one!

I was just thinking, did Pat think that God smote the Muslims with the tsunami? or the earthquake in Pakistan? or the workers at WTC on 9/11?

Maybe God smote JFK for having too many affairs...
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
You had me at hello
 
Poppinjay's Avatar
 
Location: DC/Coastal VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq
that was a good one!

I was just thinking, did Pat think that God smote the Muslims with the tsunami? or the earthquake in Pakistan? or the workers at WTC on 9/11?

Maybe God smote JFK for having too many affairs...
Pat on 9/11: "What we saw on Tuesday, as terrible as it is, could be miniscule if, in fact, God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve."


Keep in mind, this is the same man who in 1988 claimed that Bush Sr. was part of a cabal of witches determined to control the world. He then backed Bush Jr. in y2k.
__________________
I think the Apocalypse is happening all around us. We go on eating desserts and watching TV. I know I do. I wish we were more capable of sustained passion and sustained resistance. We should be screaming and what we do is gossip. -Lydia Millet
Poppinjay is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 08:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Moderator Emeritus
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo
Whats the past tense of smote? has smitten? smoted? So robertson suggests God has smitten sharon? or robertson suggests God smitted sharon? maybe roberson suggests God has smoten sharon. this is very confusing.
smitten is the term used when one person has a sort of crush on another term - -so maybe god does have a crush on Sharon... Aren't Israeli's the chosen people, it'd seem appropriate that god did have a crush on one of them...

(goes back to work and waits for the fires of hell to come get her)

I think the term is Smited
__________________
Free your heart from hatred. Free your mind from worries. Live simply. Give more. Expect less.
maleficent is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 08:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
Rookie
 
Gatorade Frost's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan
What are we scared of? The fact that this idiot *is* a mouth piece and is listened to by many, many people who take him seriously... including yourself it seems.
It seems more to me that Matthew is saying that people will use this as a means to smear all Christians as Pat Roberston style Christians, and he seems to be annoyed with this.

Quote:
It is important to expose this charlatan for what he is... a ripe wind bag who *does not* represent the sentiments of the average Christian. Robertson has a big audience and the world is listening.

When the conservative media pundits and conservative politicians denounce him, I will be happy.
I would count Instapundit as a media pundit:
PAT ROBERTSON OFFERS US ANOTHER REMINDER of why he was one of the original models for the term "idiotarian:"

Also, I've found The Corner to generally be a conservative group of pundits:
WHEN WILL PAT ROBERTSON FINALLY JUST SHUT HIS STUPID MOUTH?

Obviously these two posters don't hold near as much weight as say, a politician, but they tend to be on radio and t.v. news shows occasionally, so they have an audience.
__________________
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."
Emo Philips
Gatorade Frost is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #28 (permalink)
will always be an Alyson Hanniganite
 
Bill O'Rights's Avatar
 
Location: In the dust of the archives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster126
Yep. I think Pat has done more to repel people from Christianity than he has to bring them closer.
I would agree with that statement. And if not "repel" people...certainly give them cause to take a step back and go...whoa.

I have seen Pat Robertson called a "nutter", a "nutcase", a "jackass", an "idiot", a "wind bag", and compared to islamofascist terrorists. And that's just in this thread. Ok...so, I'm inclined to agree. However...the man is also very charismatic. He has an agenda, and he has followers that he tends to manipulate, exploit and control. So also has every "cult" leader that has lead their flocks over the edge of the cliff. Jim Jones, David Koresch, Charles Manson, Marshall Applewhite, and even to some degree, L. Ron Hubbard and Fred Phelps. So, I think perhaps we shouldn't be so casual as to dismiss him as just another "nutcase". For a nutcase he may be...but I happen to believe that he's also a very dangerous nutcase.
__________________
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

"Hedonism with rules isn't hedonism at all, it's the Republican party." - JumpinJesus

It is indisputable that true beauty lies within...but a nice rack sure doesn't hurt.

Last edited by Bill O'Rights; 01-06-2006 at 08:31 AM..
Bill O'Rights is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #29 (permalink)
Getting it.
 
Charlatan's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: Lion City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade Frost
It seems more to me that Matthew is saying that people will use this as a means to smear all Christians as Pat Roberston style Christians, and he seems to be annoyed with this. .
I get what he is on about and think, as usual, he is overreacting and missing the point that the only one smearing Christians in this case is Pat Robertson.
__________________
"My hands are on fire. Hands are on fire. Ain't got no more time for all you charlatans and liars."
- Old Man Luedecke
Charlatan is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
Rookie
 
Gatorade Frost's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan
I get what he is on about and think, as usual, he is overreacting and missing the point that the only one smearing Christians in this case is Pat Robertson.
I agree with you, then, I just feel that his over reaction is a means to distancing himself from Robertson's statements.

But I'm with most people in the camp that Robertson should have tape firmly placed over his mouth and not take him out of the quiet time until he is old enough to make intelligent political commentary.
__________________
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."
Emo Philips
Gatorade Frost is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #31 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
i dont think anyone in their right mind would confuse the raving of this tedious fundamentalist protestant tele-evangelist fuckwit with all of christianity.
you would have to have an understanding of christianity that is a crude and one-dimensional as, say, the american right's "understanding" of islam to reach such a ridiculous conclusion.
or you would have to actually believe the claim that floats from the right from time to time that it and it alone represents christianity by representing its extreme protestant reactionary fringe.
this in the face of all evidence and reason but it sometimes appears that contemporary conservative politics is not encumbered with a terribly tight relation to evidence and reason (they believe that hayek was describing something that acutally existed for example)

on the other hand, the extreme protestant right was and remains a significant element in the far right coalition fashioned by the republicans across the 1990s (all of which is a kind of colossal unintended consequence of the clinton/morris "triangulation" strategy)....so it seems to me that this kind of statement being associated with that coalition is not unreasonable...in fact, you would think that folk from the right woudl try to own up to iteven as it is embarrassing rather than whining about some fantasy left media conspiracy. robertson is your boy, conservatives---you use him and his influence when it is convenient and then try to distance yourselves when he says something embarrassing.

if this kind of statement is in fact an embarrassment and if it runs counter to the reality of the conservative coalition out there, then what one would expect to see is a distancing from the religious right on the part of the republican party.
have you seen any evidence of this?
i havent.

so it follows that embarrassment generated by people like pat robertson is a function of the way the right has constructed its social power.
so there seems to be no basis for distancing.
which explains bizare reactions like those posted earlier by matthew330---no other choice for the far right on this matter.
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #32 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachboy
i dont think anyone in their right mind would confuse the raving of this tedious fundamentalist protestant tele-evangelist fuckwit with all of christianity.
you would have to have an understanding of christianity that is a crude and one-dimensional as, say, the american right's "understanding" of islam to reach such a ridiculous conclusion.
or you would have to actually believe the claim that floats from the right from time to time that it and it alone represents christianity by representing its extreme protestant reactionary fringe.
this in the face of all evidence and reason but it sometimes appears that contemporary conservative politics is not encumbered with a terribly tight relation to evidence and reason (they believe that hayek was describing something that acutally existed for example)

on the other hand, the extreme protestant right was and remains a significant element in the far right coalition fashioned by the republicans across the 1990s (all of which is a kind of colossal unintended consequence of the clinton/morris "triangulation" strategy)....so it seems to me that this kind of statement being associated with that coalition is not unreasonable...in fact, you would think that folk from the right woudl try to own up to iteven as it is embarrassing rather than whining about some fantasy left media conspiracy. robertson is your boy, conservatives---you use him and his influence when it is convenient and then try to distance yourselves when he says something embarrassing.

if this kind of statement is in fact an embarrassment and if it runs counter to the reality of the conservative coalition out there, then what one would expect to see is a distancing from the religious right on the part of the republican party.
have you seen any evidence of this?
i havent.

so it follows that embarrassment generated by people like pat robertson is a function of the way the right has constructed its social power.
so there seems to be no basis for distancing.
which explains bizare reactions like those posted earlier by matthew330---no other choice for the far right on this matter.
The reason the Republicans won't distance themselves from Robertson is because he gets them votes. If they distance themselves, they risk losing votes. The same as how Democrats don't distance themselves from their nutcases (the dems nominate their nuts to head the DNC).

And it's humourous that you would say it's ridiculous to associate Robertson's views with all of Christianity, but have no problem associating those views with all Rebublicans/conservatives. It seems you must see conservatives everywhere, flying in black helicopters, shadowing people down dark alleys, sending thought-stealing rays at peoples' heads, etc. Not everything is some grand, conservative scheme for world-domination, nor are liberals somehow exempt from doing wrong.

And more on point, I used to think that Robertson had at least some redeeming values, but stuff like this makes it really hard to logically keep to that belief.
alansmithee is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #33 (permalink)
 
roachboy's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: essex ma
Quote:
And it's humourous that you would say it's ridiculous to associate Robertson's views with all of Christianity, but have no problem associating those views with all Rebublicans/conservatives. It seems you must see conservatives everywhere, flying in black helicopters, shadowing people down dark alleys, sending thought-stealing rays at peoples' heads, etc. Not everything is some grand, conservative scheme for world-domination, nor are liberals somehow exempt from doing wrong.
perhaps you shoudl reread the post--i didn't say what you react to--i simply pointed out that the robertson squad is part of the right coalition.
this is not the same as associating him with all conservatives.
in fact, i would assume that many conservative are embarrassed by robertson (see above, your post included)--but this changes nothing about the fact that the right--which is now an extreme right coalition--courted the fundamentalist protestant fringe and relies on that fringe to get out votes---as you say.

you cant have it both ways--either robertson is of this grouping or he is not--you yourself concede that he is----so far as i am concerned, then, conservative attempts to distance themselves are laughable---the right has made its own bed and so should lie in it, whether individual conservatives like it or not. look at it as an exrcize in assuming responsibility. the right likes to talk about responsibility when it applies to other people. you rarely see them exercizing it themselves.
__________________
a gramophone its corrugated trumpet silver handle
spinning dog. such faithfulness it hear

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite
roachboy is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #34 (permalink)
Junkie
 
highthief's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachboy
i dont think anyone in their right mind would confuse the raving of this tedious fundamentalist protestant tele-evangelist fuckwit with all of christianity.
But it is perfectly OK in some circles for people to characterize all Muslims based on the ravings or actions of bin Laden or the Ayatollah.
__________________
Si vis pacem parabellum.
highthief is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 10:42 AM   #35 (permalink)
You had me at hello
 
Poppinjay's Avatar
 
Location: DC/Coastal VA
Yeah, but those circles are pretty much confined to Robertson and his devotees.
__________________
I think the Apocalypse is happening all around us. We go on eating desserts and watching TV. I know I do. I wish we were more capable of sustained passion and sustained resistance. We should be screaming and what we do is gossip. -Lydia Millet
Poppinjay is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #36 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinjay
Yeah, but those circles are pretty much confined to Robertson and his devotees.
really? I bed to differ and submit the bias crimes that anre and were committed against Muslims here in America aren't Robertson watchers or devotees. They are normal people who follow the impressions they get from the media.
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #37 (permalink)
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.
 
Willravel's Avatar
 
Robertson is a bad man. I catagorize him similarly to those preachers who said Katrina hit LA because of hedonism. They would mislead the flock of God because of their own petty ignorances and bigotries. Even more sham on anyone who would allow themselves to agree with Robertson. He is wrong, and he is a bad Christian.

This isn't the old testment, Pat. And you're an idiot.
Willravel is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #38 (permalink)
Winner
 
I've said this in the other Robertson threads, but most people don't know that Robertson was a former Presidential candidate and that he did pretty well before self-destructing. He also has regular meetings with President Bush. If he's an extremist, than so are the Republicans.
maximusveritas is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #39 (permalink)
Getting it.
 
Charlatan's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: Lion City
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusveritas
I've said this in the other Robertson threads, but most people don't know that Robertson was a former Presidential candidate and that he did pretty well before self-destructing. He also has regular meetings with President Bush. If he's an extremist, than so are the Republicans.
Now that's just the kind of hyperbole we don't need.

Yes he ran for office and yes he's an extremist... but to then turn and paint *all* Republicans with the same brush serves no purpose other than to make you look bad and by the same sort of extension all others who would criticize the Republicans.
__________________
"My hands are on fire. Hands are on fire. Ain't got no more time for all you charlatans and liars."
- Old Man Luedecke
Charlatan is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #40 (permalink)
Lennonite Priest
 
pan6467's Avatar
 
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA
One could also look at it this way....

If you want to destroy religion's power in the political arena what better spokesperson to have?

Eventually, he keeps talking and the Right distances themselves realizing he costs them more votes than he gives them..... and religion would no longer truly have a voice in American politics for a long time.

But that wouldn't make sense to anyone but me and my conspiracy mind would it?
__________________
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 01-06-2006 at 12:06 PM..
pan6467 is offline  
 

Tags
god, robertson, sharon, smote, suggests

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360