Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > The Academy > Tilted Sexuality


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
Addict
 
curiousbear's Avatar
 
Location: WA
In my society first-cousin marriage is prefered. My elders comment that it is mainly to keep family properties intact and prevent defragmentation.

But there is a twist. You can marry your maternal uncle's son/daughter, or a paternal aunt's son/daughter.
Affair / Marriage with your maternal aunt's (or) paternal uncle's son/daugther is treated as INCEST! In my village one such couple who eloped were caught/beaten/separated and forcily married to two different people. I met the girl last time I went to the village. Her husband is a nice guy, I still felt very sorry for her.
curiousbear is offline  
Old 09-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #42 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Jozrael's Avatar
 
Where do you live again?
Jozrael is offline  
Old 09-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #43 (permalink)
Addict
 
curiousbear's Avatar
 
Location: WA
Also a girl can be married to her maternal uncle.

But paternal uncle is treated like FATHER!

And boys cant even imagine marrying thier paternal aunts, may be due to age difference. But there is heavy teasing thou.
-----Added 24/9/2008 at 05 : 56 : 10-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozrael View Post
Where do you live again?
I live in the US. But the place I am talking about is India. Specifically south india (its little different in the north and the south).

I went so much in to detail because of the word anthropology in our abaya's post

Last edited by curiousbear; 09-24-2008 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
curiousbear is offline  
Old 09-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #44 (permalink)
After School Special Moralist
 
Location: Large City, Texas.
Curiousbear, that's quite interesting, thanks for the information.
__________________
In a society where the individual is not free to pursue the truth...there is neither progress, stability nor security.--Edward R. Murrow
Anormalguy is offline  
Old 09-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
lightform
 
lostgirl's Avatar
 
Location: Edge of the deep green sea
My 4 siblings and I were all adopted at birth. I still could not see having this kind of relationship with my brother.

I once had a cousin try to convince me we could have sex, because we were not really related. There was no way I was going there.
lostgirl is offline  
Old 09-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #46 (permalink)
 
abaya's Avatar
 
Location: Iceland
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousbear View Post
I went so much in to detail because of the word anthropology in our abaya's post
Curiousbear, can I send you a PM the next time I teach Anthro 101?... I teach about "preferred cross-cousin marriage" (which is what anthropologists call your system) all the time, but I have never had any contacts who could give a firsthand account of how it works.
__________________
And think not you can direct the course of Love;
for Love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.

--Khalil Gibran
abaya is offline  
Old 09-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #47 (permalink)
Addict
 
curiousbear's Avatar
 
Location: WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaya View Post
Curiousbear, can I send you a PM the next time I teach Anthro 101?... I teach about "preferred cross-cousin marriage" (which is what anthropologists call your system) all the time, but I have never had any contacts who could give a firsthand account of how it works.
Sure, why not? But will that involve travel? Will you pay the tickets?
Can I ask what is the significance of the word 'Cross' in the 'Preferred cross-cousin marriage'?

You know my aunt is mad at me (and our family) that I dint marry her daughter!

EDIT: Also the 101 may teach me several other facts too...
curiousbear is offline  
Old 09-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
Currently sour but formerly Dlishs
 
dlish's Avatar
 
Super Moderator
Location: Australia/UAE
curiousbear - when you say south india, are you talking about Kerala?

all my workers are indian, mostly from Kerala.

interesting concepts you put forward though. i knew it happened, but not to that detail.
__________________
An injustice anywhere, is an injustice everywhere

I always sign my facebook comments with ()()===========(}. Does that make me gay?
- Filthy
dlish is offline  
Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #49 (permalink)
Addict
 
curiousbear's Avatar
 
Location: WA
Kerala is small part of South India. There are other states: Karnataka, TN and Andra. Kerala is a beautiful place.
curiousbear is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 AM   #50 (permalink)
 
abaya's Avatar
 
Location: Iceland
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousbear View Post
Sure, why not? But will that involve travel? Will you pay the tickets?
Hahaha, well no. I just meant, could you write a longer description of the way it works, and what your opinion is of it (do you agree, disagree, does it feel normal, abnormal, etc), and then I could read it out loud in class or something... because the students always benefit from hearing firsthand accounts of cultures that are so different from their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousbear
Can I ask what is the significance of the word 'Cross' in the 'Preferred cross-cousin marriage'?
"Cross" cousins are those who are children of your mother's brother(s), or your father's sister(s)... your parents' opposite-gender siblings. There are other societies where the preference is reversed, where they marry the children of their mother's sister(s) or their father's brother(s)... those are called "parallel-cousin" marriage preference... and the "cross" cousins are seen as incestuous. Go figure.
__________________
And think not you can direct the course of Love;
for Love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.

--Khalil Gibran
abaya is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 AM   #51 (permalink)
will always be an Alyson Hanniganite
 
Bill O'Rights's Avatar
 
Location: In the dust of the archives
Well...this has taken a rather useful little turn. Good.
__________________
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

"Hedonism with rules isn't hedonism at all, it's the Republican party." - JumpinJesus

It is indisputable that true beauty lies within...but a nice rack sure doesn't hurt.
Bill O'Rights is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #52 (permalink)
After School Special Moralist
 
Location: Large City, Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgirl View Post

...I once had a cousin try to convince me we could have sex, because we were not really related. There was no way I was going there.
+1. When I was younger I had offers, subtle & blatant, from female cousins. I don't know if it's genetics or societal mores, but I also passed. I admit that there was some physical attraction, but it would've been way too weird for me.

I firmly believe that what happens between consenting adults is their business & none of mine. However, sexual relations between siblings, even if it's NOMB, crosses the line.
__________________
In a society where the individual is not free to pursue the truth...there is neither progress, stability nor security.--Edward R. Murrow
Anormalguy is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #53 (permalink)
Addict
 
curiousbear's Avatar
 
Location: WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anormalguy View Post
+1. When I was younger I had offers, subtle & blatant, from female cousins. I don't know if it's genetics or societal mores, but I also passed. I admit that there was some physical attraction, but it would've been way too weird for me.
Forget about family, even with neighbors I always skipped it. I blindly beleive anything sexual is only with your wife (from future). I find it silly now (missed lot of fun).

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaya View Post
Hahaha, well no. I just meant, could you write a longer description of the way it works, and what your opinion is of it (do you agree, disagree, does it feel normal, abnormal, etc), and then I could read it out loud in class or something... because the students always benefit from hearing firsthand accounts of cultures that are so different from their own.
"Cross" cousins are those who are children of your mother's brother(s), or your father's sister(s)... your parents' opposite-gender siblings. There are other societies where the preference is reversed, where they marry the children of their mother's sister(s) or their father's brother(s)... those are called "parallel-cousin" marriage preference... and the "cross" cousins are seen as incestuous. Go figure.
Thanks for the explanation of cross-cousins and parallel-cousins. In our society parallel-cousin are brothers/sisters. I some how find cross-cousin marriage logical and interesting. I know a friend who wanted to be my sister. She had a elder sister, younger sister, and a younger brother. I was elder to her so she thought I can be an elder brother. (I was pretty much a rogue at that time). I agreed and we were really fine. I had no sisters so I thoroughly enjoyed her relationship. I told her by being brother and sister now our children CANT be brother/sister. And tomorrow if they have a relationship we ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO STAND AGAINST IT. She kept very silent!

So here you go, the permission for opposite gender to mate, is at every other generation! It is weird but that is the logic. Now the repetitive inbreeding is prevented, but the family blood line is kept close. So do the properties (assets). Well I will try to do an article on this with all I know and can find and send it to you...

Personally, I did not want to marry any one from my community. When I was in high school I thought I will marry some one from an other country, religion or state. I thought that will be interesting and exploratory. I liked European girls, Russians, and Whites. To be total frank some one tall, fair, strong, independent. I had liking (not preference) on particular type of nose, hair, and even private parts). But I never was sure whether they will like me.

But at 25, I met my girl, got committed. She was from neighboring state, speaks different language, different community, different customs etc. But not really that different.
curiousbear is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #54 (permalink)
 
abaya's Avatar
 
Location: Iceland
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousbear View Post
So here you go, the permission for opposite gender to mate, is at every other generation! It is weird but that is the logic. Now the repetitive inbreeding is prevented, but the family blood line is kept close. So do the properties (assets). Well I will try to do an article on this with all I know and can find and send it to you...
This is fascinating... I would very much appreciate learning more about this (especially the every-other-generation thing, and keeping resources in the family--I knew about the latter, but not the former). Do you mean that you had a fictive "sister" as well? (Fictive is another anthro term, basically for non-blood family, but still considered to be "family" anyway.) Even more fascinating.
__________________
And think not you can direct the course of Love;
for Love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.

--Khalil Gibran
abaya is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #55 (permalink)
Addict
 
curiousbear's Avatar
 
Location: WA
[QUOTE=abaya;2531746] Do you mean that you had a fictive "sister" as well? /QUOTE]
Yes I do. I dont know how one would really feel for a sister because I dont have a biological sister. I dont have any feeling for my cousin-sisters (parallel cousins). But this girl is from a different place, community, family. We just fell in love that way. I dont think her husband completely understands it. But my wife has same feelings that one will have for a sister-in-law!! She has a son now. She is beautiful, highly committed. But she doesnt like to be controlled and will retaliate with rudeness and arrogance.
curiousbear is offline  
Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #56 (permalink)
Psycho
 
Cervantes's Avatar
 
Location: Above you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willravel View Post
Science dictates that the people with the best genes pair up and create the best children available, but reproduction in humans is a lot more complicated than that. Emotional and intellectual attraction often contradicts the innate reproductive mandates.
I'm sorry but this just threw me off, Science doesn't dictate anything of the likes. What you are talking about is Eugenics, which has received bad reputation thanks to Hitler & co.
__________________
- "Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.."
- "Religions take everything that your DNA naturally wants to do to survive and pro-create and makes it wrong."
- "There is only one absolute truth and that is that there is only one absolute truth."
Cervantes is offline  
Old 09-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #57 (permalink)
Addict
 
curiousbear's Avatar
 
Location: WA
I think Eugenics is intellectual natural selection! That is what is natural selection for beings with five senses could be close to Eugenics for beings with sixth sense.

It certainly is NOT natural in animal sense. But in human sense I think it is still natural.

I consider stonage, metalage and modern age as just extensions of evolution itself. Human dont have to get extra perceptions and organs to continue the evolution... Rather the evolution gets very scientific! Without all these developments the human race will be extinct in the centuries to come

But repetitive inbreeding will be problem. I had seen dogs, birds going through that in my own eyes. generation after generation they start losing thier senses one by one. fur is lost, then eye sight... and after 10+ generations they become infertile (not even interest in breeding).

Example: Captive Budgies, A dog breed called Rajapalayam suffers this. I saw it in person.
curiousbear is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #58 (permalink)
Upright
 
When I read your story, I was compelled by the sincerity in your narration. I'm a very young biology student, and at 20, I have little to no life experience, especially in such complex life experiences as incest and sex. And, as a bio major and anthro minor, I feel very strongly against incest because of the genetic problems that arise (although you were very good about contraception). But when I read this, I forgot about all that, and honestly, I felt like you had a genuine romance with Daniel. There was no abuse, you both were well aware of the consequences, and you reached an emotional and physical completeness that is very difficult to find with a lover in these times. I kind of felt bad that you didn't take him up on his alternative. Do you ever wonder what it would be like if you and Daniel were together? You seem to miss him.

I think you made a difficult decision, and an extraordinary one at that. I guess I'm just a romantic who sort of saw you and your brother together, regardless of the incest.

I recently met my second cousin, whom I had heard a lot about growing up. Jack was the family golden boy, handsome, smart, successful, talented, and athletic. Jack is a year older than me, and although we both heard about each other growing up, we didn't meet until his first cousin's wedding almost two years ago. I was eighteen and he was nineteen. And there was a pretty strong sexual undertone. I know that this sort of thing tends to happen among relatives who had never met, but I kept telling myself not to feel that way about him. It got confusing because both our mothers were joking about how if we hadn't been related, we would have been perfect for each other. I tried to avoid him for the rest of my trip, but every time I wanted to leave the room, he would be right there. Nothing sexual happened, but the tension was difficult to endure.

You are lucky to have had Daniel, and if I were in your place, I would not have any regrets except of the fact that I would not be able to show my love for him in public, that it would have to be clandestine and secret. Are there any times you wish you had him to yourself? Is he completely faithful to his wife, or are there times he wants you back? I know I should say it's twisted, but it sounded a little beautiful to me.
MayaRose is offline  
Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #59 (permalink)
follower of the child's crusade?
 
I will give three arguments in favour of prohibition

1 - Society DOES have the right to enforce certain norms of behaviour. We, for example, prohibit drug use when it harms no one but the person taking drugs. I wonder people would feel the same level of ambivalence if the narrator of this story was talking about a consensual relationship betwene a father and a daughter? And that isnt a facile question, and I'd ask you to really think about it... because if brother/sister relations are ok, why arent mother/son and father/daughter?

2 - Simply, it IS more likely that children born of closely related parents will suffer serious genetic problems. In some parts of the Pakistani/British community marriage amongst first cousins is quite common - and there is very clear evidence of the vastly increased incidence of serious problems with children in such cases. These people are making choices that someone else may well have to suffer for. This point was dismissed very easily by the person posting the article, it ought not to be

3 - Abuse. Now, I must say that it is possible to have a relationship between closely related people that is genuinely consensual. But I would put it to you that the vast number of incestual sexual relationships which exist in the world involve either physical abuse or abuse of familial position. We have to make laws some how, we have to draw a line

Take the age of consent. In the UK it is 16. If a girl who is 16 years and 10 days has consensual sex with her boyfriend who is 15 and 330 days... I think very few people consider her to be a paedophile or an abuser. But we have to draw a line somewhere

We draw a line at incest because very often it is also abuse, either emotion or in some cases something like rape
__________________
"Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate,
for all things are plain in the sight of Heaven. For nothing
hidden will not become manifest, and nothing covered will remain
without being uncovered."

The Gospel of Thomas
Strange Famous is offline  
Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #60 (permalink)
Upright
 
Whats the big deal So what if your brother rides you every once in a while as long as its great sex and both of you are ok with it go for it Its not hurting anyone
Grampareg is offline  
Old 11-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #61 (permalink)
Death Leprechaun
 
Confederate's Avatar
 
Location: College Station, TX
I can be as freaky as anyone but incest is seriously fucked up.
Confederate is offline  
Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #62 (permalink)
Addict
 
Buzz's Avatar
 
Location: Earth
I"ve done some off the wall weird things.... But I'm not sure... about this. Too Each his own. I would say. ??? lost for a reply... sorry.
__________________
The Only BEER is a Cold BEER.

And a Single Malt will get ya every time.
Buzz is offline  
Old 11-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #63 (permalink)
©
 
StanT's Avatar
 
Location: Colorado
Consenting Adults = none of my business.

Of course, my sisters had cooties. Ewwww
StanT is offline  
Old 11-09-2010, 03:47 AM   #64 (permalink)
People in masks cannot be trusted
 
Xazy's Avatar
 
Location: NYC
I think it is wrong, that simple. There are somethings that just should not be done, even if consented to.
__________________
Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Xazy is offline  
Old 11-09-2010, 04:32 AM   #65 (permalink)
Future Bureaucrat
 
KirStang's Avatar
 
Alright. Tried to refrain from commenting, but does anyone feel like the author is a little naive? "All I had to do was say no, and my brother would not have married her." Yea. Right. And the brother would have probably resented her for a long time, before ultimately saying, "screw this" and marrying his fiance anyway.

I get the impression that the older brother is a bit of a ladies man, and took advantage of the naiveté of his younger sister--precisely why incest is outlawed in many states.

Thoughts?
KirStang is offline  
Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #66 (permalink)
Upright
 
John$'s Avatar
 
Location: Lowell, Massachusetts - USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirStang View Post
Alright. Tried to refrain from commenting, but does anyone feel like the author is a little naive? "All I had to do was say no, and my brother would not have married her." Yea. Right. And the brother would have probably resented her for a long time, before ultimately saying, "screw this" and marrying his fiance anyway.

I get the impression that the older brother is a bit of a ladies man, and took advantage of the naiveté of his younger sister--precisely why incest is outlawed in many states.

Thoughts?
Sadly we do need laws to protect our culture from abuse. An older brother or sister can force their will on any younger sibling.

However the converse is also true. Two consenting adults, defined as aware of their choices, can have a good and lasting experience with another this way.

Now being aware of that choice is another story. I would speculate that in our culture we are not educated about sex to any degree. It could be because our educators are uninformed. The interpersonal energy exchanges from sex are quite powerful. They do leave a lasting impression and condition a person in very particular ways.

My thoughts are that we need to become better informed so that good and healthy choices are possible.

John

Last edited by John$; 11-10-2010 at 12:12 AM..
John$ is offline  
Old 11-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #67 (permalink)
Upright
 
Not to change the subject but it still involves incest, I've read that Mother-Son incest is fairly common (& legal) in Japan. Supposedly the Mother helps the son out sexually to keep his mind on his education.
Scotian_ is offline  
 

Tags
brother, feel, guilty, incest, sex

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360