Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > Interests > Tilted Technology


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crazy
 
advice on adding a hard drive

Hello, my computer has a 160gb serial ATA hard drive in my computer.
I have an 80gb (IDE hookup) laying around, thinking of adding it on.

I only see one IDE port on my motherboard, (which the DVD drive uses) so the 80gb would have to share this IDE port. Does this sound like a bad idea?
I also don't know how the whole master/slave configuration would need to be setup since it's with a DVD drive.

I don't really have to do this, and figured I would ask you guys/gals first.
Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated!
I have been reading about this stuff today but as usual, having a hard time finding info on my specific situation.
thanks
denton is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
has a plan
 
Hain's Avatar
 
Location: middle of Whywouldanyonebethere
Doesn't sound too bad. Just make sure the faster device, probably the hard drive, has it's pins set as master and the other is set to slave.
__________________
Hain is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
IDE with SATA will be slower.

I have IDE drives on my computer and it is a noticeable difference when saving/accessing from them.

Of course if you want the storage, and it's available, it will work. It will just be a bit slow when accessing.
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
has a plan
 
Hain's Avatar
 
Location: middle of Whywouldanyonebethere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq
IDE with SATA will be slower.

I have IDE drives on my computer and it is a noticeable difference when saving/accessing from them.

Of course if you want the storage, and it's available, it will work. It will just be a bit slow when accessing.
Do you mean just "to the SATA drive" or "SATA to IDE (vice versa)" transfers? If the SATA is connected to a designated SATA port on the mobo, why would pure SATA transfers slow down...


I must be reading something wrong.
__________________
Hain is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hain
Do you mean just "to the SATA drive" or "SATA to IDE (vice versa)" transfers? If the SATA is connected to a designated SATA port on the mobo, why would pure SATA transfers slow down...


I must be reading something wrong.
Copying something from the IDE to the SATA and vice versa, would be much slower than if you had SATA to SATA.

same as if you saved a file to the IDE and timed it, and compared to the SATA speed. You'd find it's overall slower.

I also find that when my OS does a drive "explore" all drives, when the IDE is attached it's much slower than when it is not.
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

Last edited by Cynthetiq; 05-25-2008 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
has a plan
 
Hain's Avatar
 
Location: middle of Whywouldanyonebethere
OK this makes much more sense. I know about the drive explore, but did not considered that when thinking about pure to-SATA writes. Still, the pure to SATA speed should remain unchanged, no?
__________________
Hain is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junkie
 
Location: My head.
From my experience, copying anything from IDE to IDE, or IDE to SATA has always been slow. IDE purely sucks. Accessing from SATA is not a problem, its the transfer into IDE that's a bitch especially if your processor's slow.

Hmm, probably shouldn't thread jack but hey, why not, I'm looking to do the same thing too. I have a DELL Optiplex and recently my computer has been acting up, I know it's not to do with the software because the machine runs very well. The USB ports arent registering anything. I cant connect any USB device, mouse, keyboard, flash disk, printer!!! Secondly, it cant seem to pick up my SATA drive in the BIOS, it says storage device not found. Yes, I am connecting them properly. Any views on this.........
Xerxys is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Young Crumudgeon
 
Martian's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxys
From my experience, copying anything from IDE to IDE, or IDE to SATA has always been slow. IDE purely sucks. Accessing from SATA is not a problem, its the transfer into IDE that's a bitch especially if your processor's slow.

Hmm, probably shouldn't thread jack but hey, why not, I'm looking to do the same thing too. I have a DELL Optiplex and recently my computer has been acting up, I know it's not to do with the software because the machine runs very well. The USB ports arent registering anything. I cant connect any USB device, mouse, keyboard, flash disk, printer!!! Secondly, it cant seem to pick up my SATA drive in the BIOS, it says storage device not found. Yes, I am connecting them properly. Any views on this.........
My advice depends on whether or not it's still under warranty. If it is, send it in and have them fix it for you.

If it isn't, I would suggest that the case, properly modified, will make a lovely aquarium.

Regarding the OP, why not drop $40 on an enclosure and turn the old IDE disk into a USB drive?
__________________
I wake up in the morning more tired than before I slept
I get through cryin' and I'm sadder than before I wept
I get through thinkin' now, and the thoughts have left my head
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame
Martian is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
has a plan
 
Hain's Avatar
 
Location: middle of Whywouldanyonebethere
@ Xerxys:
It sounds like it could be the same problems I talked about here at TFP and here at HydrogenAudio. None of the suggestions from either threads helped solve the problem. They just went away one day. My USB port for my laptop cooler is still useless, but the others work fine with any device.
__________________
Hain is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tilted Cat Head
 
Cynthetiq's Avatar
 
Administrator
Location: Manhattan, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian
My advice depends on whether or not it's still under warranty. If it is, send it in and have them fix it for you.

If it isn't, I would suggest that the case, properly modified, will make a lovely aquarium.

Regarding the OP, why not drop $40 on an enclosure and turn the old IDE disk into a USB drive?
you know I had that in my original entry, but somehow I erased that option of IDE/USB housing....
__________________
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.
Cynthetiq is offline  
Old 05-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
has a plan
 
Hain's Avatar
 
Location: middle of Whywouldanyonebethere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq
you know I had that in my original entry, but somehow I erased that option of IDE/USB housing....
The hard drive exploring will still be slow. I have a 500GB WD with a power down setting after prolonged periods of no use, and every time I open My Computer, it boots up and takes extra time before the hard drives show up in Windows.
__________________
Hain is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq
IDE with SATA will be slower.

I have IDE drives on my computer and it is a noticeable difference when saving/accessing from them.

Of course if you want the storage, and it's available, it will work. It will just be a bit slow when accessing.
yeah, I just planned to use it as extra storage and don't mind if it's a bit slower so long as it doesn't slow anything else down.
thanks for the responses, I got it working...sort of.
Now I just have to figure out why BIOS says it's a 80gb but I can only use 32gb of it so far. Going to work on that today.
denton is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
has a plan
 
Hain's Avatar
 
Location: middle of Whywouldanyonebethere
What filesystem are you formatting it in? And are you using windows to do that? I would recommend Swiss Knife for anything other than NTFS.
__________________
Hain is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Young Crumudgeon
 
Martian's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Is the drive partitioned and formatted correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hain
The hard drive exploring will still be slow. I have a 500GB WD with a power down setting after prolonged periods of no use, and every time I open My Computer, it boots up and takes extra time before the hard drives show up in Windows.
A hard drive on the USB bus will be slower than on the IDE bus. Putting it in an external enclosure is more about convenience than performance; I find it highly useful to have a device that allows for back up and transfer of files across multiple platforms and in different locations.
__________________
I wake up in the morning more tired than before I slept
I get through cryin' and I'm sadder than before I wept
I get through thinkin' now, and the thoughts have left my head
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame
Martian is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
has a plan
 
Hain's Avatar
 
Location: middle of Whywouldanyonebethere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian
A hard drive on the USB bus will be slower than on the IDE bus. Putting it in an external enclosure is more about convenience than performance; I find it highly useful to have a device that allows for back up and transfer of files across multiple platforms and in different locations.
I didn't say it was terrible, just mentioning that this happens.
__________________
Hain is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crazy
 
smoore's Avatar
 
Location: West of Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by denton
yeah, I just planned to use it as extra storage and don't mind if it's a bit slower so long as it doesn't slow anything else down.
thanks for the responses, I got it working...sort of.
Now I just have to figure out why BIOS says it's a 80gb but I can only use 32gb of it so far. Going to work on that today.
You are likely using FAT, try using NTFS for a filesystem.
__________________
smoore
smoore is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crazy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hain
What filesystem are you formatting it in? And are you using windows to do that? I would recommend Swiss Knife for anything other than NTFS.
FAT 32, I used Swiss Knife and it gave me the rest of my storage space in a new drive letter.
Thanks!
denton is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 10:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
has a plan
 
Hain's Avatar
 
Location: middle of Whywouldanyonebethere
Quote:
Originally Posted by denton
FAT 32, I used Swiss Knife and it gave me the rest of my storage space in a new drive letter.
Thanks!
So are there now two partitions or just one in FAT32?
__________________
Hain is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crazy
 
I have drive E: which is 31.4gb and Swiss Knife added F: which is 43.0gb and they both say FAT 32
denton is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
has a plan
 
Hain's Avatar
 
Location: middle of Whywouldanyonebethere
You should be able to format the whole disc as one partition.
__________________
Hain is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Crazy
 
OK, I got it all on E: drive now.
Took a few minutes to figure out how to use the program.
I set it at NTFS, not sure how much difference it makes.
denton is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
has a plan
 
Hain's Avatar
 
Location: middle of Whywouldanyonebethere
It depends on whether or not you want a file system that has native compatibility with many OS'. FAT32 is a good one for that but it lacks in other areas. NTFS is good because it supports journaling- helps prevent errors to your hard drive in the case of power failure- while FAT32 does not.

Unless you dual boot linux and windows, or plan on putting that hard drive in a mac machine, you shouldn't have to worry.
__________________
Hain is offline  
Old 05-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crazy
 
smoore's Avatar
 
Location: West of Denver
NTFS is a real filesystem, FAT32 is lacking in quite a few areas.

Even if you use Linux at some point, NTFS is safe to write on now. Not sure about Mac, it wouldn't surprise me if they could handle it now too.
__________________
smoore
smoore is offline  
 

Tags
adding, advice, drive, hard

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:42 PM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360