Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community  

Go Back   Tilted Forum Project Discussion Community > Interests > Tilted Technology


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2004, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Industrialist
 
Mondak's Avatar
 
Location: Southern California
What happens if you replace a 4 ohm speaker with an 8 Ohm Speaker? (another Q)

I want to replace my (blown) 4 Ohm Tweeters in my Jeep with some 8 Ohm Speakers I found. They are already set up with the crossover so that they only get the high pitch signal from the amp.

Will an 8 Ohm Speaker work? The rest of the speakers in the truck are 4 Ohm as well. I am not sure what other details I can give here that will help clarify.

Last edited by Mondak; 04-22-2004 at 06:10 PM..
Mondak is offline  
Old 04-16-2004, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Upright
 
You could put an 8 Ohm resistor in parallel with the tweeter, to make it 4 Ohms. I think it would probably work ok at 8 Ohms, in theory it would be getting less power though. You only realy need to worry about speaker impeadance when wiring things like subwoofers in parallel, not all amplifiers are 2 ohm stable.
zillen is offline  
Old 04-16-2004, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Industrialist
 
Mondak's Avatar
 
Location: Southern California
So if I use the 8 Ohm speaker as is, it will be more quiet than what a 4 ohm speaker would be normally?
__________________
All truth passes through three stages:
First it is ridiculed
Second, it is violently opposed and
Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER (1788-1860)

Mondak is offline  
Old 04-16-2004, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sixate's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere in Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by Mondak
So if I use the 8 Ohm speaker as is, it will be more quiet than what a 4 ohm speaker would be normally?
Yes, because the power output from the amp will be cut in half.
sixate is offline  
Old 04-17-2004, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
alpaca lunch for the trip
 
jujueye's Avatar
 
Location: in my computer
Quote:
Originally posted by Mondak
So if I use the 8 Ohm speaker as is, it will be more quiet than what a 4 ohm speaker would be normally?
Yeah, that's the basics of it. Think of high "ohm" numbers as lower "pressure" on the amplifier. So a 16 ohm speaker will place less strain on the amp than a 4 ohm speaker. If you are running these off of your stock system, you should be just fine. Drop it in and give it a listen. If if really sounds too quiet, you might shop for a 4 ohm tweeter, but it shouldn't make a huge difference.

The rating on speakers is usually posted as an average, and likely at a specific frequency. Most response curves for this particular rating go up and down depending on the frequency they are playing.
jujueye is offline  
Old 04-22-2004, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Industrialist
 
Mondak's Avatar
 
Location: Southern California
Ok so I found these things

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...-47&type=store

I know I am a cheap F*ck but I am going to give them a try. I am also going to buy some 8ohm speakers from this site as well and try them with and without adding a resister in parallel. The question I have is whether or not I should remove the crossover. Since the Amp already sends the proper signal to the tweeters, it should not be needed. But then again, if that part of the signal is already removed, I was thinking it will not matter if it is there or not. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Mondak; 04-23-2004 at 08:26 AM..
Mondak is offline  
Old 04-25-2004, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Watcher
 
billege's Avatar
 
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by jujueye
Yeah, that's the basics of it. Think of high "ohm" numbers as lower "pressure" on the amplifier. So a 16 ohm speaker will place less strain on the amp than a 4 ohm speaker. If you are running these off of your stock system, you should be just fine. Drop it in and give it a listen. If if really sounds too quiet, you might shop for a 4 ohm tweeter, but it shouldn't make a huge difference.

The rating on speakers is usually posted as an average, and likely at a specific frequency. Most response curves for this particular rating go up and down depending on the frequency they are playing.

I think you got that backwards. A 16ohm speaker has 4 times as much resistance as a 4ohm speaker. So, a 16ohm speaker requires a lot more power to drive.
The reason car speakers are generally 4ohm or less is to get the most power out of a car's limited availability. House speakers are generally 8ohm, but the amp is plugged into the wall, so who cares.
__________________
I can sum up the clash of religion in one sentence:
"My Invisible Friend is better than your Invisible Friend."
billege is offline  
Old 04-25-2004, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Loser
 
Quote:
Originally posted by Mondak
Ok so I found these things

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...-47&type=store

I know I am a cheap F*ck but I am going to give them a try. I am also going to buy some 8ohm speakers from this site as well and try them with and without adding a resister in parallel. The question I have is whether or not I should remove the crossover. Since the Amp already sends the proper signal to the tweeters, it should not be needed. But then again, if that part of the signal is already removed, I was thinking it will not matter if it is there or not. Anyone have any ideas?
It shouldn't matter, but the fewer unecessary electrical components there are in the way, the more pure of a signal/sound you'll get. If the speakers aren't exactly high end though, I wouldn't waste the time. Also, if the crossover on the amp is lower than that of the speakers, you could potentially damage the speakers.
WarWagon is offline  
Old 05-17-2004, 06:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Industrialist
 
Mondak's Avatar
 
Location: Southern California
Cool - these seemed to work out pretty darn well overall. If you can fit them - the $7.50 speakers were better than the $1.50 speakers, but in the grand scheme of things, they were both acceptable. The $7.50 ones were bretty bright and really a little more powerful than the rest of my speakers in comparison. Thanks for the help everyone.
__________________
All truth passes through three stages:
First it is ridiculed
Second, it is violently opposed and
Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER (1788-1860)


Last edited by Mondak; 05-30-2004 at 11:07 AM..
Mondak is offline  
Old 05-29-2004, 08:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fear the bunny
 
Location: Hanging off the tip of the Right Wing
You don't need a 4 ohm resister wired along with that 8 ohm driver. No matter what, you will get the same amount of current going to that tweeter. The resister will just soak up power and get hot. Just wire the speaker and be done with it.
__________________
Activism is a way for useless people to feel important.
BoCo is offline  
Old 06-02-2004, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Upright
 
actualy, its a lot easier to deliver power to a higher load (resistance), so if u place a load (like a speaker) with higher impedance, u'll probably get more power. it will probably be louder
xatx is offline  
 

Tags
ohm, replace, speaker

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Tilted Forum Project

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2002-2012 Tilted Forum Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60