1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

10 Years Later

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DamnitAll, Sep 7, 2011.

1. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

On Sunday I will be performing music at my church's 9/11 service. Ten years afterward, everything about "that date" still seems inextricably linked to the event that defined it in 2001. What does this mean to you?

I am struggling with how to acknowledge and (whether to) embrace the ten year anniversary of the September 11th attacks. I wonder how much longer it will be as raw as it still seems to be.

It brings to mind—for me anyway—how the American culture (US, that is) has come to treat holidays like Memorial Day and Veteran's Day, created initially to somberly mark devastating events in history. How many more years will pass beyond ten until September 11th, "Patriot Day"—not yet technically a holiday but it could be one—becomes an occasion to drink beer and eat grilled foods?

2. psykosis

psykosis Getting Tilted

The jaded asshole in me is surprised it hasn't become a holiday like that already. Truly, once the generation most affected by the attack pass away or just lose their memories, then the date will lose it's sting. Anyone who was alive and, say, older than 15, when that happened will likely always tie anything on 9/11 back to the attacks in 2001.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

As a non-American, I doubt I see this event in a similar way to Americans, though the proximity of the event was sure staggering .

It seems to me, on a global level, the event is not so much about the terrorist attack. 9/11 seems to stand as a turning point. We talk about the post-9/11 world, whatever that's supposed to mean.

It can refer to the rise of the international security apparatus. It can refer to the direct and indirect consequences of the GWoT.

In my case, it goes beyond that. At the time, I was entering my first year of university to study literature and theory. The day of 9/11, one of my professors, a prominent figure in theory and a rising star, went on to claim that 9/11 did indeed mark a shift in the world. She went as far as to claim that with the fall of the Twin Towers came the fall of postmodernism. She wasn't the only one to make that claim.

In the fallout of 9/11 in America, with the resurgence of nationalism and patriotism, with the call for retaliation and resolve, it was a surge of reality that essentially proved to be a direct assault on fundamental postmodernism, which had spent the last several decades railing against the very ideals and institutions that were now rising from the dust of the 20th century.

It was an odd time for me, as I was going through my own shift in life. In many ways, the day haunts me for personal and spiritual reasons. In many ways, it calls to me, as I haven't yet taken the time to explore what the shift has meant, what it still means.

That professor charged us with the responsibility as "the next generation of critical thinkers" to help come up with and develop what would follow postmodernist thought. I still am unsure what that is, as are most people. The only clue I seem to have is that it may or may not involve a shift from the ironic to the sincere.

It was a strange time. This is a strange time.

• Like Like x 2
  4. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

being 10 years after the fact it's still too soon for me. there is just too much shit that happened after 9/11, the police state, wars etc. all i can say is i'm sorry for the people who died, their families, the first responders, and the troops that continue to fight these wars.

i couldn't get behind a holiday for 9/11 like memorial day, veterans day, or the 4th of july. there's nothing that happened on 9/11 that's worth drinking beers too or having a barbecue for imo.

good luck with the church service. i'm sure you will step on someone's toes no matter what you do.

5. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Most of the hurt was blunted for me when my niece was born on 9/11/2003. She's a sweet girl.

6. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

it was a historical moment that i was too young to appreciate, but it'll be a strange feeling knowing that down the line i'll be able to say "i remember the day that happened"

7. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Sounds corny, but it was the day I felt like an American. Prior to that day, I was just a naturalized citizen who ambled through life in the USA. When I saw those towers go down, I saw an attack against us.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

"Patriot Day," huh? The USA PATRIOT Act and all the subsequent ass-raping of our rights in the name of security should be celebrated.

It's my general feeling that someone should crash a jumbo jet into a large building and kill thousands of people every ten years.

September 11th represents the day when our true colors came out. We're an ugly nation run by greedy old white people.

We've spent ten years being total dickheads, crippling thousands of young men for no benefit to our own country.

The time and money we've spent trying to fuck up and then fix other nations was desperately needed at home.

Fuck us.

On the bright side: If it wasn't for 9/11, I wouldn't have a job.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

A horrible, but spot on, truth, Plan9.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I figure this old picture is a basically a gore-free summary of the last decade of history.

Really, you'd have to have the Private surrounded by a thousand dead bodies to be honest.

[​IMG]

Back when I was in the military, I was in charge several kids. I mentored, I led, I tortured.

During the beginning of his first deployment, I asked the one pictured the purpose of the GWoT.

He was confused. Then I basically shared with him what I stated above in post #8.

He was still confused. I then instructed him to go out into the desert and grab his ankles from inside his knees.

I told him to continue to hold onto his ankles and push his ass up and down until he was instructed to stop.

This horribly uncomfortable motion is a lower enlisted torture exercise cleverly dubbed "The Monkey Fucker."

Rather fitting, I think.

• Like Like x 1
  11. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

still hurts.

Every year that it goes by I find another reason why it hurts more. Not only because of lost friends and people but because of the direct compromise on my life. I went through 3 different security checkpoints on my 1 single entry into the airport from Mumbai to NYC. Each leg I had taken, Mumbai to Dehli, security check point. Delhi to Chicago, security checkpoint. Chicago to NYC, checkpoint. I never left a single sterile area.

I go anywhere in NYC, I'm generally greeted by increased police presence. My license plate is scanned by police license plate scanning vehicles as I drive around my neighborhood. I have had to have my bag inspected when going into the subway.

12. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Speaking for a stereotyped majority of US citizens, we have a bad habit of detaching ourselves from the meanings of days set aside to to reflect on and remember crucial national events. Memorial Day began, somberly, as a way to honor the dead from the Civil War, a devastating war and one of the most (if not the most) brutal conflict in American history—families torn asunder, brothers killing brothers, etc. Today we fetishize the Civil War, and the meaning of that day is far gone from the typical Memorial Day activities of most red-blooded American families. We couldn't possibly picture the same situation on September 11th now, but allowing it to become "Patriot Day" makes that easier to see happening years from now, and I wouldn't be surprised.

9/11 to me is much closer to August 6th, Pearl Harbor Day, than any national holiday. Calling it "Patriot Day" is a mistake because the name and the national fervor that comes with it completely detract from what the day was: a day that, like Pearl Harbor, will and should live in infamy.

I can't help wondering how the historic perspective of 9/11 and its aftermath will change over time; will the GWoT ever become for future generations what World War II, the ultimate aftermath of Pearl Harbor Day, has become to us?

Whoever controls the past controls the future, and whoever controls the present controls the past. (Orwell, 1984)*

*love this book

• Like Like x 2
  13. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

I object to 9/11 being called Patriot Day. We already have Patriots Day, which is April 19th. That marks the first day of the American Revolution. It might not be celebrated outside of the Northeast, but it is a long-standing holiday. (It is also the day that they run the Boston Marathon.)

14. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

DamnitAll,

Nice.

Patriot Day totally sounds like something related to the fact that we've always been at war with East Asia.

15. Seer666

Seer666 Getting Tilted

I don't think I could ever get behind a 9/11 holiday. I tend to agree with Plan9's view there. In the end, all 9/11 really did was bring out the ugly side of this country. And on a personal level, if I sit and reflect on that day, all I really remember is the rage and helplessness I felt sitting in the barracks and watching events unfold as I could only sit there and watch events unfold on TV. Trying to make a holiday out of it would feel like trying to white wash all that to me.

16. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

No, we've always been at war with Eurasia. East Asia has always been an ally.

Get it right.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

How many pages did you stick into the burn slot?

...I stand corrected. (sees himself to Room 101)

18. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

its one of those days that i will never forget where i was and what i was doing. i was in nashville going to college and my wife was here in ga at that point in my life, and that day made me understand how much i love her.
    i have an issue with working on some holidays. i have to work on memorial day. a few years ago we had a vet come into my dealership and say that he was never coming back because the dealer dosent observe memorial day.
    i think that they should show the images every 9/11 so that we dont forget what happened and so we can remember all of the fallen people wether they were on scene or on a plane.

i often wonder how our country would be if that never happened?

19. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Some more thoughts...

Right after the attacks happened, we were all encouraged to help the country get back on its feet by going shopping and buying stuff—not specifically American-made stuff, just stuff.

Both World Wars called for the nation to tighten its belt and sacrifice for the good of the war effort. More recently and maybe closer to home were the sacrifices made during the 1973 oil crisis.

Maybe I'm trying to compare apples and oranges, but I find it interesting to think about the differences between these two ways of thinking and what kind of repercussions we have experienced in and will continue to experience over the past decade and beyond because of our resulting actions. That spirit of sacrifice present decades ago, whether self-imposed or out of necessity, seems completely absent in this decade's response to GWoT and our new post-9/11 reality.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DamnitAll, I don't think Sept. 11 will ever evolve into a beer drinking holiday like Memorial Day. I don't think Veteran's Day is by most of us, except maybe at American Legion or VFW posts, but don't know about that. Memorial Day and Veterans Day have some basis in US victory, Sept. 11 was not a victory for the US. Neither was Dec. 7, 1941. We don't celebrate that day with picnics and cookouts.
    I hope it remains as a day of quiet somber reverance.

• Like Like x 2