1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

20 Mental Barriers You Should Let Go Of

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by cynthetiq, Jul 25, 2011.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I still have many of these to work on.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

This is a great list. I think it would make a great daily meditation. Wouldn't it be interesting to try and tackle one of these items a week, or a month? I imagine it would be difficult.

One I know I have down in a lot of ways is 7. I don't need approval from others. However, there are a few people in my life that if they were to start disliking me, I would be worried.

And as much as I love my job, I don't want it to be the whole of who I am. Yes, I teach kids. Yes, I love teaching. I don't mind being thought of as a teacher in general terms, but it is not the whole of my being. My aunt was giving me crap yesterday because my husband was busy playing with our little cousins and I was reading a magazine. I laughed and told her everyone needs a day off. She couldn't help but agree. As much as I do love children, I do not want to spend every hour of every day playing with one. I am an adult with adult interests. I think identifying with your role isn't so much a personal problem as it is something others do for you, and that's annoying.

3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I don't know, I'm not a fan of letting go of most of these... I think that we need to learn to moderate them.
    It's my self-criticism that keeps me going to the gym and working at school; my past that motivates me towards my future; the ticking clock that reminds me that my paper is due; my prejudices that keep me safe (in certain scenarios)... if you let them go, what is left to keep you moving? I think that there is a certain point in your life, perhaps after retirement or something, that these are fine. But I'd rather work on all these in moderation and not letting myself get too far in one direction or the other instead of "letting go." As for approval from others, there are a few people in my life that I use as a barometer. If they started to disapprove, I'd rethink what I was doing and not necessarily change it, but look at my motives.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Bingo. It's a matter of moderation, not elimination. Some of them need moderated more than others obviously.

5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

This list, reasonably applied would be a great way to unclutter you life. I am a big advocate of the less is more school.

Someday, I will have an empty house. Too often I feel like my life is full of extraneous stuff (physical and mental).

6. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

I've found that the best thing to let go of is needless worry. If you stop and ask yourself "Is there anything I can do to make this situation better?" and the answer is no, then dismiss it and let what happens happen.

7. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

Mental barriers are in place for a reason. The best I can do is to keep them flexible.

8. lionrock

lionrock Getting Tilted

Let go of singing Muppets songs over and over in my head when I should be focusing on work.

9. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

#18 : Would that be stop using TFP ? :rolleyes:

10. cellophanedeity

cellophanedeity New Member

I'm glad I came upon this today. I've been feeling anxious and unhappy this morning, so having a reminder to be better is appreciated. I'll keep this list in mind as I go about my day.

Non-attached mindfulness! The only way to get through modern life?

11. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

I have difficulty with 3,4,6,11, but I generally solve these problems by exercising and yoga. It seems to help.

12. DRP967

DRP967 New Member

Interesting read and definitely food for thought. Some items on the list are easier said than done but I will work on all items from top to bottom.

13. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

I agree with noodle above. Many of my attachments to people and to ideas make me stronger and help me make sense of my life. Self-criticism helps me improve. Guilt motivates me to right any wrongs I have done to others.

14. Cernunnos

Cernunnos Vertical

Echoing others in this thread, moderation is key. Determining the appropriate balance takes effort, however, as it's quite easy to trick yourself into believing a mental habit is harmless, or that it doesn't affect you at all. Peering into one's own thought processes unfortunately seems to be an unpopular activity.