1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

29 Day Fitness Challenge

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by DamnitAll, Jan 16, 2014.

1. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

These only body weight squats though, so it's pretty hard to actually hurt yourself. It's just a lot to do in one day.
    --- merged: Jan 16, 2014 at 6:41 PM ---
    Good point. Same here. That's just a scary number to look at. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I am intrigued. I might just do this and trick my wife into doing it as well.

3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Be sure to tell us when we start day 1. I'm going to print this out and hang it on my bedroom wall. I'm curious if my daughter will even let me get away with doing all of this physical activity at once. I may have to break each up to do throughout the day.

4. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

you could add some tricep dips - that'd do arms and back...

5. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Hi everyone,

Glad to see so much interest! I found out tonight the challenge officially starts this coming Wednesday. I'll fill you in with any additional details as they come up.

• Like Like x 4
  6. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I used to involve my nephew and my puppy in my workouts.. Hold them for squats (my nephew loved the up and down), lay them on the floor underneath me and give a kiss on the way down for push ups, etc. I'm sure you'll figure something out :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Great idea, @PonyPotato. I think she'd get a kick out of that.

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Not to mention way too many exclamation marks.

This isn't something I'd do, as I'm a proponent of regular rest days.

However, I wish everyone good luck, and I'll be watching (critically) the thread.

[​IMG]
    "...I...see...you...."

• Like Like x 1
  9. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I did some practice squats and leg lifts yesterday so I don't make a fool of myself.

Sore butt.

• Like Like x 2
  10. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm having the same trouble.

11. Cleaning my apartment today. It'll be nice to actually have the space to do this.

Bring.
    It.
    On.

12. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Today is the day, right?

I'm in.

13. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Today is the day. Some notes from one of the challenge organizers:

14. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

....shit.

I had planned to take it easy last night, and do some yoga. I couldn't get into it though, and ended up doing The Firm's "Hi-Def Sculpting." In retrospect, that was probably not a good idea.

But, okay. Printed out the sheet. I'll get on this after work. Gulp.

15. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

@CinnamonGirl, feel free to break them up into small segments throughout the day if you need to!
    --- merged: Jan 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM ---
    And here's a video with a little more explanation about the leg lifts:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'm still in...I'm doing them tonight.

Amazing how a bit of snow, disrupts your logistics.

@DamnitAll, I think you got hit a bit worse than me, where you are.

17. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Think so... it's looking like we got just shy of a foot in total.

18. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Yep, and you're colder too...but I think I've got you beat on the wind and wind chill being near the airport.
    5 degrees this morning walking the dogs...minus 15 with wind chill.

Oh well, a bit of exercise will warm me up quite nicely...and I'm sure the pups will want to jump & play on me while I'm doing them, they'll be warmer too. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

Not a fan of high rep bodyweight workouts if weights are available. I think for a lot of people that sort of repetition makes it hard to stick with a plan as it gets boring fast. Its also more of an endurance building plan than muscle building. For females the pushup part might be a bit unrealistic too due to upper body strength issues for most women. A dumbell bench press would allow them to progress.

Better than nothing, and not scary for newbies, but most would be better off starting with a resistance training program.

Learning how to properly barbell squat and getting the flexibility to go parallel was a major turning point in my fitness.

20. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You should come around my dojang sometime. Most of the women do several sets of pushups (not "girl pushups") as warmup.

This is a resistance training program. This kind of thing will build both muscle strength and endurance. Fitness isn't just about "building muscle," it's also about muscle endurance. This program has both, though near the end it certainly focuses on endurance.

Fitness goals vary person to person. I used to be the guy who wanted to build mass, because I'm kinda lean and have a small stature. Realizing my genetics weren't very conducive to packing on a lot of muscle, I now focus on other fitness goals. Those who train with weights become good at pushing and pulling heavy objects, and it usually comes with the benefits of increased muscle mass and strength, as well as some cardio conditioning. This 29-day fitness challenge is more about building both strength and endurance. Surely the strength gains will have a limit, but if you're doing something like this, then it's likely you're leaning more towards endurance training anyway. (And what will better prepare you for the zombie apocalypse when it comes, hmm?)

Speaking from experience, depending on your goals, bodyweight training can be just as effective (or more) as weight training.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 5