1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

29 Day Fitness Challenge

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by DamnitAll, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

And there are guys who bench press 300 like its nothing but I'd never recommend anyone starts there. Its not that women can't do pushups its that so many are just unable to do so and starting with them may be too much. Add on someone who is overweight and body weight exercises like this might be completely unrealistic and more of a let down, "I give up" situation.

I've done both, and I'm not a 'big' muscle guy, but pushing my muscles to my limit I've found more helpful than high endurance style exercising. Your millage my vary.

2. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Then don't do it.

As was mentioned in the original post earlier in the thread...
    ...the challenge here is to complete these movements in addition to any other fitness regimen you're already engaged in, whether that be strength-based, endurance-based, or otherwise.

The crowd of folks to which this challenge was introduced are attendees of a bootcamp class that I've been going to for about a year and a half, between four and six times per week. Each class is designed to be different from the last, incorporating a constantly changing variety of fitness techniques including resistance and functional strength training, cardio, plyometrics, etc. For that group, the challenge will thus be to complete the movements in addition to attending the class on whatever frequency basis we have committed to. The class' attendance base is comprised of men and women of various levels of fitness, with ages ranging from early twenties to mid-seventies. Some are able to do "real" push-ups. Some aren't.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  3. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

You are not required to do this.

If someone is a newbie, then doing this program with a chair for the squats is a lot safer than learning how to use free weights on their own. Nearly anyone can do a pushup without causing injury, especially if they can do it on their knees. Pretty much every kid (who is old enough to be on TFP now) was taught to do push ups in a gym class in the US.

Also, who cares if you find this boring? Those of us who are interested have committed to it and can find ways to make it non-boring. It really shouldn't take that long. Personally, near the end, I will likely change my squats to jump squats in order to increase the challenge - plyometric training is often more effective than strength training alone for athletes in terms of increasing 1RM strength (as well as proprioception and agility). I can cite resources if you want them.

Also, I for one as a female REALLY don't like you coming in this thread just to insult my gender again. "upper body strength issues for most women?" Seriously? GTFO and don't come back.

• Like Like x 4
  4. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

More useful stuff on the squats, to help make them count and ensure you're getting the most out of the movement:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

One thing that diagram is missing: your knees should be behind your toes for the duration of the squat. If your knees extend past your toes, you're too far forward.

I'm a big fan of bodyweight training, to the point that as of right now it's all I'm doing. I think it frequently gets overlooked that there are ways to modify the exercises to make them easier or harder, as required. If you can't do five regular pushups, you can instead start with five knee pushups or even five wall pushups. There's no 'correct' starting point. Do what works for you.

There's also no one correct way to get fit. Move your body, challenge yourself, make the numbers go up. If you're doing that you're doing it right.

• Like Like x 2
  7. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Did I say that women are just as strong as men in upper body? NO. What I said was that assuming that "most women" don't have the upper body strength to even do a modified pushup is sexist, disrespectful, and completely false.

• Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Shit, I can do a modified upper body pushup, and I'm a certified weakling in terms of upper body strength. I've never been able to do the monkey bars or the like.

I already got the leg lifts and pushups out of the way. I'm working my way through the squats--10 every time I get up from the desk.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Day one in the books.

• Like Like x 3
  10. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

w00t! Way to go, @Borla !

We've been slow today, so I'm considering getting the leg lifts done with. (of course, as soon as I hit "post," everyone in town will show up.)

11. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I travel a lot, so something I can do without hauling any equipment around (or gym shoes and workout clothes) is a plus. I'm using the improvements to my back to motivate myself to do several other health improvement things, so this aligns nicely with that.

I had a business meeting I had to go to in the middle of the day, so I woke up this morning and did most of the squats and all of the pushups in my hotel room before checking out. Now that I'm on to the next hotel, I did the other portion of the squats and all of the leg lifts as soon as I got into my room.

I'll probably try to do the same routine, knock half or maybe more out in the morning to get my blood flowing then finish it off in the afternoon. Adding this to the other things I'm doing is a good way to remind myself every day to stay on track.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CinnamonGirl

This is probably what I'll be doing, after today. I woke up this morning with just enough time to throw my running stuff on and get out the door, so I'll have to set my alarm a little earlier for the rest of the month (and quit hitting snooze...damn it.)

13. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'm a big believer in mixing it up...and that results & trends vary for every person.
    What works on one, doesn't as well on another...plus that same thing may be more or less comfortable for each.

I think everything counts...try it all, see what works for you.
    When I saw the chart...I thought, what the hell, why not...it's only a month. It's not my typical thing either.
    Do I have to do it always? Nope.
    But each different thing works a different angle.

On my cardio...I hate continual long-time sets myself.
    Not only is it boring and tedious to me...but I find the repetition has impact on me over the long run.
    Personally, I prefer to do short-term intervals/sets...rest briefly, then move on to another...repeat a few times.
    As long as I'm keeping it interesting...and my heart-rate up overall, I find the results are good...and I don't get burnt.

Others end up doing it, satisfying their whim or mind or what others told them ("push yourself, be tough") ...not paying attention to what their body is saying.

It's a challenge, it will be fun.
    I just have to remember to do it...I'm absent-minded...but doing it day after day, I'll get into a rhythm...and that will help.

• Like Like x 1
  14. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Day 1, done. w00t. 50 squats is a big accomplishment for my knees.

15. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

16. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Day 1 done! Convinced my boyfriend to do it with me before I did my PT exercises. :) We broke up the squats 20-20-10, pushups 5, and leg lifts 10-10-5 and just did a little circuit. Not bad at all. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. rogue49

And day 1 out of the way...25 at once easy; 5 no problem; 50 in sets of 10, real quick breathers inbetween.

Now, it was funny...during the leglifts, the pups were going "why are you down here?" On the pushups, they wouldn't move out of the way.
    And on the squats...that was damn cute...think of big adorable eyes looking at you inquiring with their heads tilted slightly to the side,
    "what are you doing???"

This is going to be interesting...but if I know them better, like kids they'll be bored in some days... "This again? Whatever..."

• Like Like x 1
  18. CinnamonGirl

Day 1 is dooooone! w00t!

I split everything up into sets of five with a couple seconds in between each... which worked well until I was attacked with puppy kisses when I was on either 10 or 15 leg lifts--they surprised me, and I lost count. I erred on the side of caution, and might have done five extra. Ah, well.

Overall, I feel pretty good, and I'm excited about where I'll be on this at the end. Assuming my abs don't revolt.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Day one is in the books. It's technically 'tomorrow' but it was done before bed, so I'm counting it.

Pushups were no sweat. Squats were a little painful on the knees, but nothing I couldn't handle (also realized halfway through what squats are -supposed to- feel like, and I now have a better idea of the form and technique required and will be able to do them to the fullest potential going forward)
    The leg lifts I had to do in a set of 15 and a set of 10. Those are going to kill me.

Ready for day 2.

• Like Like x 2
  20. rogue49

Actually, I was surprised by the after the fact "impact" of the squats.
    Not immediately...but some time way after...my legs were feeling it.

• Like Like x 1