1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe 30 Minute Meals

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Mar 17, 2014.

1. FreeVerse

FreeVerse Screw Tilted, I'm all the way upside down.

lol yeah. best thing you can do is just sit nicely in the lounge or family room and let me get a move on in the kitchen.

I do a large shopping once a week, with only the occasional milk or bread run ever being needed in the middle of the week.
    I do every possible bit of prep work on the day I do the big shopping, as things are put away - any washing, peeling, chopping, dicing, pre-browning, saute'ing etc that CAN be done ahead, is. then everything portioned out and refridgerated or frozen, so that any meal can be a "30 minute meal" if need be, or, things pulled out and tossed into a crock pot and turned on as I'm walking out the door. by the time dinner is on the table saturday night, any sauces/soups are on the stove simmering, or done cooking and cooling so they can be portioned out and put away, any pies are made, any bread dough has been mixed, salad components washed, dried, portioned out and put away, meat has all been seared off, browned, or is bagged in marinade and put away... makes saturday miserable, but all week long, anyone old enough to use the stove can assemble something healthy, tasty, and any meal can easily be added onto if people drop by unexpectedly. there are of course the things you can do any real prepwork ahead on - or that are just easier to whip up on the fly - like alfredo... but ive always found that a very well stocked pantry, fridge and freezer, coupled with smashing every bit of prepwork that can be done, into one big time of it - is WAY less stressful, way less mess across the week, and makes the daily meal assembly way more "30 minute meal-like.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My kitchen isn't much bigger than yours. If he cooks with me, he agrees to follow my orders exactly.

3. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I am always looking for quick dinners that are calorie/carb conscious...so, no rice/pasta, and low sodium....someone mentioned 800 mg...that seems a lot to me....we don't mind the prep work I do that and P does the actual "putting it together and firing" it...suggestions...a web site?

4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

800 mg per serving isn't good, but it about right for amny prepackaged foods, which my wife & I usually avoid.

I wish that I could recommend a site, but we have so many cookbooks we rarely hit the net unless we're looking for something very specific. A general search for heart healthy low sodium quick recipes will probably bring up more than enough sites.

5. snowy

6. Chris Noyb

I like "follow my orders exactly." Gotta have order in a small kitchen.

We don't exactly order each other around, but I've learned that making sure we have plenty of counterspace for prep work helps immensely.

7. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

8. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Seriously??

9. snowy

10. snowy

11. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

I need some meal ideas for picky kids. Got any of those?

12. snowy

Sorry, I don't do picky eaters. I just do recipes. If you find something that works for you, great.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

It's a struggle to say the least.

14. Chris Noyb

We have adult friends who are picky eaters. In a restaurant I don't care how picky they are (unless they're so picky it becomes embarrassing), but not at my house. The bad thing is their kids learn to be picky eaters. One of my SILs is a serious whiner, and her youngest daughter is even worse.
    --- merged: Sep 17, 2014 12:06 PM ---
    I guess that "Eat it, or go hungry" isn't an option :eek: :D.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  15. snowy

I believe that picky eating is a largely learned and reinforced behavior; it crops up about the time kids begin to realize they can make decisions, and essentially, it's decision-making gone wrong. I think some parents write it off as a "pick your battles" moment when they really shouldn't. But I digress.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

I couldn't agree more! I have twin girls, one is like me; eats and enjoys food. The other is like the wife; picky and eats like a bird.
    "Eat it or go hungry" was surely how I was raised. The wife, if she didn't like it they would make other things she did. Sets bad examples for sure! :p

• Like Like x 1
  17. snowy

Yeah, I was wondering if one of you was a picky eater. That's a big source of transmission. The thinking goes: if Mommy can say no to that, I can too, right?

• Like Like x 1
  18. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

Yes ma'am. And take a guess who is always first to get a cold, etc :p

• Like Like x 1
  19. snowy

A great treatise on balancing time and effort in the kitchen: http://nyti.ms/1Du6zhX

I've bolded what I think is perhaps the most important takeaway from this. I don't often cook from recipes others write these days, but when I do, I read the thing in its entirety and figure out where I can save time. Today, I made a crustless quiche for dinner. For one, skipping the crust saves a great deal of time. For two, I chopped a leek, got it sauteeing, then chopped up a zucchini, added that to the pan, then while those were cooking, I scrambled the eggs for my quiche with my immersion blender. It's about streamlining the flow of work to cut down on the time needed.

20. snowy

Came across this guide while browsing Twitter this morning: How to Make Chicken Tikka Masala Faster and Lighter | Epicurious.com

Here's the thing to remember when trying to cook quickly: focus on the method first and foremost, see where time can be saved (here, they save it by using a premade spice mix and not marinating the chicken), and then proceed.