1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

60 minutes Interview with Ex CIA Jose Rodriguez

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Freetofly, May 5, 2012.

1. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

I watched this interview last weekend and was impressed with Mr. Jose Rodriguez answers on the different measures the "Darkside" had to take to get answers from prisoners that are responsible for over 3000 american's deaths on 9/11. Seen here at this link.
    60 Minutes full interview: Ex-CIA head defends “enhanced interrogation techniques” » The Right Scoop -

Now what made me post this is what I read about the hearing from Guantanamo Bay, and what those families are going through, with the terrorists making a mockery of the United States.
    For 9/11 victims' families, hearing another ordeal - Yahoo! News

I just wonder how this is going to end and why the terrorists think it so funny that they can joke in the courtroom.

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I can't speak for them and this is merely a guess but my guess is the very same reasons they thought killing 3000 people was justified is the same reason they show zero respect for the courtroom they currently find themselves.

I mean really they think we are evil and we think they are evil. It's actually very simple. If the Taliban or Al-Qaeda captured a group of your soldiers and put them "on trial" would you expect our soldiers to be respectful? Or would you think they might feel the trial was merely for show and the outcome not in question?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Freetofly

That is something I really don't know and hope not to see. On top of that I'm really terrible at discussing politics, my mind kinda shuts down unless someone explains clearly what is going on. Do you think the Ex CIA interview is related to the trials?

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Do I think the interview is related to the trial? No idea, didn't see it but completely possible. The trials seem to be a political football of sorts. But I honestly have no idea.

As far as having, or preferring, someone explain political events and issues to you I find that a little saddening. Politics is complicated and really to comprehend them takes effort and time. Your comments, and I could be (actually hope I am) wrong, make it sound like you take the word of others rather then seeking out several sources to arrive at an opinion on things. If I'm not wrong and that's how you are getting your info and basing your opinions I think it's rather disappointing and possible a little dangerous. Politics, in my opinion, can not be looked at like a sporting event or who going to win American Idol. Politics affect you and the people you care about. I think it's important do your own research and arrive at your own opinions.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Freetofly

Politics do affect me, and I do at times research a bit. My family is big in politics and it started to get pretty ugly when my oldest sister started to work for the Saudi Government way before 9/11. She was in Yemen the day after 9/11, travelling with the Ambassador from Saudi to the US. It kinda split the family up, because the opinions were so right or left. So I choose to stay out of it. But do read a lot, but don't comment, I just let them do the debating (screaming).

Now when it comes to new bills in the senate, like healthcare, guns, FDA or taxes, I try to stay on top of that info and also my local government. I actually go to those meeting.
    That's about it.
    Does that make you feel a little better.

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Yes it honestly does, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

This cracks me up every time I hear it. Stated as if every prisoner ever held at Gitmo is naturally assumed to have played a role in 9/11. Phrasing intended to justify the detainment and torture of the innocent right along with the guilty for 11 years. Brilliantly repeated so often it's become fact in the minds of those who have a difficult time with logic and reasoning.

What impressed you about Mr. Rodriquez's answers? What impressed me was his unwavering defense of torture as an effective tool in obtaining reliable information (despite scads of evidence to the contrary) and his apparent lack of concern over the moral and legal aspects of its use. For me, he was all at once, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion and the Wizard - Brainless, Heartless, Spineless, and All Powerful.

The United States made a mockery of itself when it chose to condone the practices of torture and extraordinary rendition, when it proclaimed such practices as lawful by manipulating the wording of US law to justify its actions, by extricating itself from the International Court system knowing that what it intended to do would likely be deemed as war crimes, and skating around the rules of the Geneva Convention by labeling all detainees as unlawful enemy combatants rather than prisoners of war.

I read the article and found no suggestion that the accused were mocking anyone or joking in the courtroom. Unless you misread the article where it talks about how some members of the American public watching the proceedings were laughing during portions of it. The article also pointed out the frustration felt by some family members of those killed on 9/11; frustration that justice has been so long in coming. Why has it taken 11 years, they ask? I didn't get the impression that their frustration was aimed at the accused, though they did voice some annoyance that the accused are now pushing for additional delays.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Freetofly

Whatever, it doesn't matter what you think or what you precieve as correct to me.

It seems to me you seem to follow me around and are pretty nasty with your responses on everything. I'm tired of you attacking my character, you crossed the line with comparing me with Hitler.

9. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

What happened to being innocent until proven guilty?

10. Freetofly

First of all I don't have a problem with them having a legal trial, and I believe it should have been years ago.

But if they are found innocent, will you be first in line to have them for dinner?
    Maybe watch a video of Daniel Pearl being executed by Kladid Shaikh Mohammed, have some popcorn and coke?

11. Joniemack

For which I apologized to you and you accepted that apology but don't expect any apologies for voicing my opinions of your opinions. And for the record, I don't follow you around. You happened to pop up at the top of 'most recent posts." I take them as I find them.

If you don't want anyone calling you out on your ill-considered comments, don't make them. If you do make them, expect that others may have a differing opinion. Some may voice it more gently. Not usually my way but now that you've brought it up, I will admit to being kinder in my response than I could have been considering how fucking appalled I was by your post.

While you've got that popcorn and coke out, watch a video of a young, innocent Afghani man, in the wrong place at the wrong time when he was indiscriminately grabbed off a street in his own town. Watch him say whatever he hopes his captors want to hear after a few months of torture and waterboarding in Gitmo or some other secret location. For once, dare to question your belief that horrendous and unjustifiable acts are only committed by the other side.

12. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I don't get where you're going in this thread. A couple have pointed out your presumption of guilt for those stuck in Gitmo. Now you suggest those accepting innocent verdicts are terrorist sympathizers?

Yeah, because brown people with Muslimy names are all potential terrorists undermining Truth and Justice, amiright?

Ladies and gentlemen, terrorism works.

13. Freetofly

I went through this with Tully and he helped me understand what I was asking. I thought that was the end to it. I was trying to understand what was going on.

You guys can try and read between the lines all you want, but I'm not here to judge, just trying to understand things.

Just wanted to understand if there was a connection with the interview and the trial. :eek:

Baraka you are so wrong on what I think and who I know. Come on, Brown people with Muslim names. Geez you really need to meet my family.
    Like I told Tully I had a sister working for the Saudi Gov for many years, starting with Clinton.

Joniemack you know what you are doing, I don't play games, you make it personal. It didn't start with the Hilter remark and you know it.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  14. Baraka_Guru

Then why suggest a desire for due process and rule of law is in some way sympathetic to terrorists? What would be wrong with having dinner with someone in Gitmo found innocent? Why would we want to watch an execution video of Daniel Pearl like it was a motion picture of Daniel Craig? Where's the connection there? Where is that coming from?

If I'm wrong about what you think, please enlighten me, because I'm confused. What gives?

15. Strange Famous

So how can you call someone a terrorist who has not yet been found guilty?

I think as other people must have said this how the terrorists win. Not by murdering 100 or even 5000 people, but by reducing us to a state where 18 month babies are pulled off flights by buffoons who think that she is a potential bomber, by provoking a state which was once see as an icon of freedom to openly conduct torture and run a virtual concentration camp.

The image of america has been hugely damaged worldwide in the last ten years and this is why al qaeda won. They of course couldn't care less about the civilian deaths in the iraqi and afghan wars...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joniemack

I don't know you. I don't know if you're male or female. I don't know your age, your marital status, what you do for a living, or your political leanings (though I can guess on that one)

I'd say you take it personally. I'm not interested in debating this point though. I'm far more interested in the broader discussion.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  17. Freetofly

Baraka
    1) Tully pointed out my IGNORANCE on the subjects at hand. I totally agreed with him. That was the end of the story, I learned something from him.
    2) I through the Dan Pearl statement in there because I had no answer. Maybe you can explain to me what your thoughts are about the prisoners, help me understand.
    3) Plus I don’t understand when someone is throwing things at me in bits and pieces, and in a judgmental way when everything was already discussed with Tully. This is all new to me and I’m trying my best to be opened minded.
    4) So I will ask you to please be patient and explain your thoughts in a way I will understand, since I’m not expert.

18. Baraka_Guru

Freetofly

I view Gitmo as a travesty of justice, specifically, and an atrocity, generally.

It is a place where law is suspended. It is a place where the rule of law and the right to due process under the law is suspended.

Not only is this a fundamental problem with regard to the American public and what their government does that acts against its core values, but it is also a problem with regard to basic human rights and decency.

I don't think anyone has any answers. Who are these men (and former boys)? What are the suspected of, really? How many are actually guilty of anything other than circumstance? Why didn't they get expeditious trials?

Even those who may be guilty of something aren't even getting fair trials.

Amnesty outraged by Gitmo trials - UPI.com

I took issue with your leaps in logic because I will not compromise when it comes to these values of justice. My desire for the rule of law and the right to due process under the law does not mean I sympathize with terrorism, and I am personally insulted at the suggestion.

America has many blights in its history, and it amazes me that they continue to conduct such things when they otherwise act with the hope that they are viewed as morally justified. How can America, for example, criticize China for human rights violations when they too are violating them on their own soil?

19. Strange Famous

All states abuse the human rights of their citizens. All.

20. Freetofly

Now things are starting to make sense to me. I will look at this as a learning experience and you made me realize what kind of place Gitmo really is.
    Never occurred to me that it's a place where law is suspended.
    I hope you understand my leaps in logic was only because I really didn't know how to respond, so really there was no logic just emotion.
    I was told once that if you want answers to anything you don't understand, go to TFP and you will find a good group of people with a lot of knowledge. I believe it!

Last edited: May 14, 2012