1. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food 85yr old gains fame for her review of Olive Garden

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Some of you may have seen this, it's been in the news for at least a week or more.

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/olive-garden-critic-8217-tips-review-restaurant-194300195.html

Honestly, I think one of the coolest jobs in the world would be being a food critic. I've started trying to post more thorough reviews on Yelp!, but I tend to mainly write about the ones I really like, or the few I really hate. Part of the reason I post so much in this section of TFP is because of my foodie tendancies. I don't consider myself a food snob (I love plenty of hole in the wall places), but I tend to avoid mid-level chains.

Regardless, I thought the story was kind of entertaining. Feel free to comment on Ms. Hagerty, or own your own experiences writing or reading food reviews.

PS - Having spent a night in Grand Forks, ND once years ago, Olive Garden just might be the best place in town. :p

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Nearest Olive Garden in this area is something like 75 miles away. I did like the meal last time I ate at one in Salem back in 2002 or so.
    Interesting article about the restaurant/food critic process and experience.

3. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

eaten at on OG in augusta, maine a couple of times in the past two years - very good experiences...

4. I've never had a problem with the OG. CinnamonGirl used to work at the one in our hometime. LOUSY waitress. ;)

I remember going to OG when it first opened for dinner before my freshman year homecoming dance. It's one of the nicer places to eat back in Mtown. I don't hate OG. I like their bread sticks and endless salad bowls. Cinn probably hates that though after working there.

There are two that I can think of near me now. By near me, I mean one 45 minutes north and one 45 minutes south. Not exactly worth the drive, but I do have some money left on a gift card I got from my almost-mother-in-law. The two of us used to go there a lot. When I go back to visit Ohio this spring, I may see if she wants to get together for lunch or dinner. She'll probably pick OG.

5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I probably haven't been to an OG for the last 10-12 years. There is one in the same parking lot as a hotel I stay at almost weekly. Maybe some day soon I'll have to break the streak and see what's what.

6. Phi Eyed

Phi Eyed Getting Tilted

Here's my review of Olive Garden: Sucks donkey ass.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I remember visiting an Olive Garden years ago with my Mom. She wanted to take me somewhere nice for dinner. All I remember was that it wasn't all that nice and that the Alfredo sauce was grainy.

That was probably 1990 or so.

8. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I am always a supporter of the 99% Good for her. Ordinary people do not want the Michelin starred micro meals of the high rollers and elitist "foodies"... good portion sizes and good honest food are what people want. I eat in places where the cook knows that he or she is a cook, and does not style themselves ridiculously as a "chef".

As long as there is a working class, I will be in it!