1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

A Critique of Theological Thinking

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by lofhay, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Alistair Eurotrash

The rationalisation or the abhorrent behaviour? Or both? :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

A couple of things:

1) Many (most?) of the rationalizations you speak of have ceased depending on the group. What's interesting is that each religion is far from monolithic. There are many lines drawn by history, politics, culture, and society. You're speaking in generalizations.

2) I sincerely hope you won't attempt to discredit sex for all the rape or capitalism for all the greed. I imagine a society of celibate communists would be made up of rather creepy denizens.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Putting religion aside for a moment, do you believe there's a place for the consideration of a power/entity/intelligence beyond our understanding? Do you ever imagine for instance, that our universe is one out of a billion other universes floating around in a test tube as part of some experiment, those in charge of the experiment and their motives, as unfathomable to us as ours are to the bacteria in our petri dishes?

My point is, there doesn't have to be a reason why what is, is. Then again, it's impossible to rule out the possibility that there might be. You seem to take the position, much as some religions do, that the answer is already known and further discussion on the subject is a waste of time. I think the real myth is that we know more than an atom's worth of what there is to know.

4. Alistair Eurotrash

Though there could be a link between sex and greed. Not so sure about capitalism and rape .. but .. hmm. Maybe you're onto something.

Sex and Greed Linked in the Brain - Science News - redOrbit

• Like Like x 1
  5. omega

omega Very Tilted

Really, no one needs to prove god doesnt exist; there has been no proof that he does exist so why waste time with it? The burden of proof needs to be on that he does exist. Until then, stop making decisions based on an unlikely premise. Reading sheep entrails didnt work for romans, astrology didnt work for nancy reagan, and praying to allah didnt work for bin laden.
    --- merged: Oct 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM ---
    Philosophy 101.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
  6. Joniemack

I'm not a fan of dogmatic, monotheistic religion or of its opposing brand of atheism. Neither are attractive to those who wish to ponder existence from a place of curious wonder. Ever since Descartes offered a way for Western religion and science to co-exist in a world dominated by religion, science has kept to its own disciplines, leaving religion to handle all things of a spiritual nature. Though many Western religions have allowed themselves to stagnate, philosophy in the broad sense and theology specifically, provide the only avenue available where such things can still be discussed. You cannot do away with religion, lofhay and expect science to pick up the philosophical slack. For all of its flaws, religion has its place in keeping the door open to what it is we're all searching for. I admire the scientific process but honestly wouldn't want to live in a world completely sterilized by its rigorous exactness.
    --- merged: Oct 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM ---
    The question wasn't posed to you omega. It was posed to a member of this discussion who doesn't live under a rock, under a bridge.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Even Atheist or non-religious people or entities have rationalized evil for their own ends, perspectivies and agendas.
    Whether you believe or not is irrelevant.
    What you believe is irrelevant.
    You can still do harm by intent.

Again, we are mixing definitions again.
    People can discuss about theological topics pertaining to specific religions
    OR
    People can study Theology as a science...which is the category of anything pertaining to and background of ANY faith.

Those who discuss theological topics often have a personal connection with that particular faith.
    Those who scientists of Theology, are interested in the study of the aspects and analysis of faiths and how it relates to humans, history and society.
    One may be done by a Moot Court, as they debate which meanings are "truth" or should be applied in earnest.
    The other is typically done by secular professors and other subject matter experts, discussed in an intellectual fashion.

Same word, two different definitions.
    Let's not get caught in an Abbott & Costello routine here...

Why is it the same for Oh So Many, no matter their background, philosophy or training,
    they get caught in the same trap again and again, that something MUST be "this" or "that", Yes or No, Black or White.
    When it may be "either" , "or" or all points inbetween.

It is a logical fallacy that the Universe has been laughing at us about for millenia,
    even to this day, even by many of our smartest and well trained...scientist or otherwise.

And if any scientist wants to debate me on this...then explain particle/wave duality, the Uncertainty Principle, Relativity, Bosons
    or that the world even at times treats fieldsets "as if" they are one, no matter what the scale...and so much more...

A person CAN be secular & intellectual in one aspect AND faithful & religious in another...without bias. We are complex.
    A topic CAN be studied EITHER in dogmatic or scientific fashion...and the attitudes of those debaters can be closed OR open minded.
    AND all points inbetween.

Again, it is BAD scientific method and illogical to throw away an outlier JUST because it is inconvenient or doesn't fit your model.
    ANOTHER trap that many fall for...it is intellectually lazy...and accounting for ALL may lead you to a better answer.
    EVERYTHING counts.

The sad part is this, the same argument that many Atheists make of those of with faith...of being close-minded and linear.
    Is the same mindset trap that those who are dogmatic get stuck in.
    Your brain at that time, cannot absorb the infinite aspects of all that is out there...it is the human condition.
    You "have to" categorize to conprehend it...and yet...your model/definition/perspective is incorrect.

Don't punt...if you want to truly understand complexity, you have to try to consider it ALL.
    Otherwise, you can be as angry and obstinate as those you protest about.
    Hell, even Einstein had trouble absorbing Quantum Mechanics at first.
    ...but then he took the time to consider

• Like Like x 1
  8. omega

omega Very Tilted

this is just great; I have supported my arguments; I havent made any personal attacks. But I have been told that I am small minded; I have been equated to a racist; I have been called a troll several times. Well how about this; I'm not so stupid or pinheaded or some pie in the sky mystic to continue to insist that something that is unproven might exist. I have been personally attacked and insulted. So Fuck You. Continue your little discussion without me. But at least in the real world I work for the betterment of humanity. I go in where others run away, and I work to make a difference. I'm not waiting for some bearded old man to make the world a better place; I do it every day I pin on a badge and put myself in harm's way. So go pretend your little belief without meaning amounts to anything.

9. Joniemack

You may simply be the only one here who wants to beat the dead horse called 'Us against Them" There is nothing particularly wrong with your opinions on the evils of organized religion and in fact, anyone of us can make the same cases you do.

I could be wrong, but I took the OP as an invitation to explore the question "Can Theology and Science Get Along."

10. Alistair Eurotrash

Me neither. Nor do I believe that the wearing of a badge makes anyone a good philosopher or particularly good at persuading others to their point of view. How do you know what the beliefs (or non-beliefs) of anyone posting here are? I call shenanigans.

11. rogue49

Yes, but your arguments and the way you've communicated them have been very poor.
    Your tone has been seemingly distainful and arrogant toward those that may oppose your views...or take another tack.

I have not seen anyone call you stupid. But you have directly noted that anyone who seems to have some faith is less than yourself.
    Which DOES seem like a personal attack. It certainly demeans others.

You are calling foul, when you've actually done the same to others...frankly you should be a bit less thin-skinned,
    especially if you're going to put out such instigating hyperbolic statements ...and crow & brag about how you did so initially.

And I think the people who are taking the time to discuss on such an abstract topic (certainly not done at the water cooler typically)
    are just as, if not more, productive than yourself...and if your communication skills as you show...likely bringing MUCH more to the world also.

The reason for the comment on as a troll...is the same for this statement I'm replying to.
    You have made BOLD, AGGRESSIVE, and quite outlandish statements.
    Now, this is atypically done as a sincere style...but more often seen to provoke outrage, just to make a point...or for entertainment value...thus a Troll.

Now, I'd suggest you change your reaction and tone...because we're not a bunch of screaming banshees here,
    especially if you want a better discource that won't accuse your or seemingly insult you.
    Violence begets violence...an attack begets an attack.
    If you come out guns a blazin'...then you're going to get gunfire back.

Unless you truly are a troll...then nothing's going to change...and I'm just wasting really good dialog on you, if so,
    but hopefully my fellow audience members enjoy it otherwise. Because the conversation is not just about you.

But then again...look at what we've done...we've taken a initially confusing topic...brought it into something interesting,
    discussed it for the most part intelligently and sincerely and brought to ground those who are brandishing torches.
    And that's why I love the TFP. :cool:

12. Baraka_Guru

A test tube? Petri dish? What about a computer? Whoa, Dude, Are We Inside a Computer Right Now? | VICE

13. Joniemack

Oh the fucking possibilities. I'm there.:)

14. Baraka_Guru

Why ask about the likelihood of being struck down for breaking a commandment? I don't recall that as a punishment being written anywhere.

If you want to go real-world, why not look at each of these commandments and consider real-world consequences of breaking each of these rather than assume it's some kind of supernatural outcome like a bolt from Zeus atop Olympus?

I already commented on the striking-dead thing. I know some stories talk about God doing some supernatural shit to some people, but these are stories of direct interventions or miracles or what have you. This is not, as far as I know, a part of the teachings and experiences for everyday practitioners. It's not that Christians are taught how to avoid global floods or getting totally Job'd. They are meant as lessons.

As for karma, the Buddhist interpretation and usage is decidedly not supernatural. Most Westerners misunderstand what karma really means. It's basically cause and effect based on our individual actions, rather than some what-goes-around-comes-around, fatalist/determinist, the-universe-will-get-you-in-the-end kind of thing. It's a personal thing. This cause and effect could perhaps be applied to the Ten Commandments as well. Breaking a commandment will have an effect, whether spiritual or social or whatever. I can't really speak to that, however, as my knowledge of Christianity is somewhat limited.

15. rogue49

And yes, some scientists are implying that we may be in a computer similation.
    But I doubt this...it's too easy. It's punting again...

So, if this is true...wouldn't the creator be the Creator??

Hey, what happens if this is actually some type of experiment someone is analyzing? (Mice, anyone?)
    Or the universe is actually some type of HUGE battery or energy wheel.
    I've heard some say that we could be a Hologram.

Then again, what if we're just completely randomized events,
    and the fact that we exist is just REALLY, REALLY lucky. (even more worse odds than the lottery...)

What happens if I just humanize Mother Nature and worship her...something I'm a part of...not expecting an answer from her,
    just having something represent. It can get rather lonely.
    Is that legit???

Frankly, there are more stories than there are grains of sand.
    Whatever gets you through.
    But those ideas and explainations that people have some up with...those are fascinating...and worth studying.

16. Baraka_Guru

In the end, I'm a postmodernist. (More specifically, I'm one suffering from the postmodern hangover...it still lingers.) I'm wary of bias, which I think is unavoidable. There is bias in religion and bias in science. We're humans, not machines. There are cultural biases, social biases, and limitations and problems in language.

This is why science is widely inconclusive and self-contradictory. This is why what's good today is wrong tomorrow. This is why what is assumed to be normal isn't good enough ten years from now. This is why some things go from bad to worse despite our "best efforts." This is why some studies say this, while other studies say that about the same thing. This is why there are varying procedures and methods of practice based on the same data set. This is why some accept some findings, while others reject them.

I know that science is supposed to trudge on, improve our world, etc., but this doesn't mean there aren't problems with the idea of knowledge. The ultimate unavoidable phenomenon is this idea of power and knowledge à la Michel Foucault.

You can't separate the two, and that's why there will always be bias.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

First of all, I don't know how non-Jews typically understand Jewish scripture, but there is absolutely nothing in Torah to cause Jews to believe that God is supposed to go around striking down people who disobey the commandments (of which there are 613, not ten). That is just not how we understand either the nature of the commandments, or divine justice and forgiveness-- not in any way, shape, or form. If one is following the commandments because one supposes that if one does not, God will kill you, then one is following the commandments for entirely the wrong reasons. Jews are supposed to follow the commandments (which, being given to the Jews, are not applicable to non-Jews, and never were so) because that is our responsibility within the covenant we have with God, and because we understand that following them is how we are supposed to guide ourselves toward creating a just society (which I freely admit we have yet to achieve, but then again, everyone else also has yet to achieve it), and because they are a spiritual discipline, to facilitate and enhance spiritual awareness while fostering moral and ethical behavior.

Not only do we not believe that God strikes down anyone who transgresses a commandment, we don't even believe in Hell. We believe that God is forgiving and merciful, and desires what is good for us.

The supposed "Old Testament God" of tempestuous rages and vindictiveness is generally an image created from non-Jewish readings of Jewish scripture, done in the absence of the interpretive textual tradition and theological traditions in whose light the text was designed to be read and understood.

In your opinion, based on criteria that you appear to have created.

Which is fine, for you. No one is compelling you to believe in anything if you don't wish to do so, or, as far as I can see, suggesting that you should be compelled to believe anything you don't wish to believe.

However, I may suggest that some modicum of humility and tolerance might indicate that one could potentially make room for the possibility-- remote though it might be-- that other people might see things differently than you do, have good reasons for seeing things differently than you do, and, the mere fact of their seeing things differently than you do does not automatically make them stupid and deserving of your contempt.

OK, so what it sounds like is simply that you don't believe in God, and therefore anyone who disagrees with you must be an idiot. While you are certainly entitled not to believe in God, demanding agreement in precise degree with this opinion from everyone else seems just as intolerant, narcissistic, and irrational as fundamentalist religious fanatics who demand that everyone believe precisely the same interpretations and theologies as they do, or be considered damned to Hell or subhuman or something.

Religious traditions preserve ancient and thoughtful philosophical discussions, poetic literature, legal precedents and frameworks, music and art, culture and customs from many places over many centuries.

I can readily understand how someone can be unmoved to believe in God, and thus disinclined to affiliate with a religion. What I cannot understand is how someone can be so utterly dismissive and contemptuous of religious traditions that they can find no reason to respect the choices of others in regard to faith.

In your opinion. Which, again, is fine for you. That does not mean, by definition, that others ought to see things the same way.

What I am really struck by is not just how completely and totally you appear to have disdain for all religion, monolithically, in every form, but how little your depiction of religion and theology appears to coincide with the actualities of religion as most people of faith practice them.

Aside from the fact that tolerance for different opinions appears not to be a particularly high priority for you, I cannot help thinking that your arguments against religion and rejecting theology would seem weightier if you actually educated yourself about what you are railing against. Right now, your depiction of religion seems like it was based on a casual examination of some fundamentalist Christian websites in comparison, perhaps, to a vitriolically anti-theist atheist website. Something which so vehemently attacks a system or school of thought with which it seems largely unfamiliar is ultimately not particularly persuasive to anyone with any greater familiarity with that school of thought or system-- or even just those with inclination to complex and deliberative thought.

Religion is ancient, complex, and multidisciplinary. It is extraordinarily multifaceted and non-monolithic. And it brings considerable spiritual satisfaction, emotional satisfaction, and intellectual satisfaction to millions of people. None of which means that you have to believe in God or be religious. But it might signify that it has value of some kind, at least some of the time, for at least some people, and thus is worth not treating with contempt, especially when you yourself are not educated in the area of which you speak.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Raghnar

Raghnar Getting Tilted

No. Science, after Galileo, is a METHOD. A method that cannot be applied to God or philosophy (and only with limited conditions to psychology), and a method which disproves crystal healing and homeopathy.
    Theology isn't a Science, because doesn't have the scientific premises, methods of investigation and not even the same means, as it is for most of the branches (not every) of philosophy.

That definitly doesn't mean that is incosistent or unrespectable... Simply that you have to use another name for it, labeling "Science" doesn't give more or less respectability because is simply plain wrong.
    Theology can be (can) a philosophyical study and endeavour, that doens't make it scientifical, just philosophical.

Everyone trying to mix the two, trying "new broad definition", imho isn't really understanding what is going on, both in Science and in Theology

This is the first step to have a coexistence of Science and Theology and of Theology for a scientist and of Science for a theologist: recognize they both have very different, almost non-intersecable, range of application.
    Modern theology almost doesn't intersecate with onthology that is regime for philosophy and Science.
    Someone is trying to make a synthesis but is not very successful insofar imho...

And is not a metter of "duality" (Rogue I'm talking to you) is just a matter on what ones PERSONAL beliefs are and what personal beliefs works, and what common facts are and works out.
    Science talks about common facts: for everyone verifiable, solid, with onthological (at least at a certain extent) meaning and practical purposes.
    Religion talks about personal beliefs: for everyone a little different, adjustable, with well-being meaning and purpose wich well being purpose can be related to an onthological one (heaven exist) but an onthological that we can't perceive or investigate and thus completely out of the regime of Science.

These two can be perfectly consistent in the same person, at least while no-one messes up the two roles. E.g. I knew a scientist that was a, earth-in-seven-days-creationist. That was obv. a messed up person, clutching between his nuclear physics decay experiments that tells us the earth is billion years old, and the inculcated beliefs that tells him the earth was created in seven days 6 thousand years ago... Everything was a "test of faith" for him... ok is a perfect aporistic philosophy (if a all-knowing all-powerful being don't want to be found and tells us ridicolous stories to drive us crazy, sure as hell he can...), but isn't all that consistent and empowering....

In the end personal empowerment is all that counts: scientific set of mind empowers you and your way to seing reality. A good open-minded religious set of mind, whatever it is, is empowering giving you confidence and well-being, at least if it doesn't clutch with other key aspects of your life.
    In these way science and religion can be perfectly coexistent and reasonable in the same person.

I personally don't believe in a god, simply because I don't feel to need it for improving my life, but I profoundly respect those people who have a mature faith in a religion (which are a minority by far).

19. rogue49

Raghnar, I agree with your definition of science and religion.

However, as I said before...people are using two definitions for the same thing, theology.

There IS a science of Theology, the scientists/professors involved study things related to the diverse religions.
    They aren't pushing or practising the religion within their study...but studying those aspects.
    The History...direct dates, what happened, etc.
    The Psychology, Socialogy, Architecture, Archaeology and more.

All of this is verifiable, methods, categorized, measurable, repeatable, etc... just like ANY science, except their focus is related to Religions.
    You or I, could take their information, and check on it's details...as often as we want.

I am NOT talking about their personal beliefs.
    I'm not talking about them supporting a dogma.

Now, they may study the dogma...find out where it emerged from, the culture ties, the societal ramification, the dates of note,
    Do archaeological studies in the area of supposed origin, chemical analysis of their clothing, engineering studies of their architecture, etc...

The may specialize in one Religion at that time or over their career.
    But in the context of their science & study, they do not care about who believes what...unless it is how good their report is.

A science doesn't have to always use a math always or formulas.
    It can be a less direct...Psychology for example.

20. Alistair Eurotrash

I don't think I can agree, Rogue.

Of course, you may feel that this is just a semantic argument, but I'd argue that psychology and theology fall under the heading "humanities" and not "science". You may feel that there is no useful distinction, but that is a separate discussion.

The scientific method is a tool and, like all tools, isn't useful in every area. Forming a testable hypothesis about the nature of integrity or love, for example, and then conducting experiments and gathering data to test that hypothesis won't necessarily provide a greater understanding of integrity or love.

Yes, there are facts to be known and there is logic that can be proven but that does not, in my opinion, make the study a science.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012