1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

A loving God that instills fear of punishment as His "love"?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by pan6467, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Oh good, more splitting semantic hairs

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I plan on reading the King James Version for literary purposes, regardless of its purpose.

I'm not sure whether it will match the power of Milton or Alighieri, but I've heard it has great literary merit.

I hope to glean enough of the philosophy while I'm at it. That way, I'll be better prepared to engage in these discussions.

It's a long book, though. I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to it. I'm currently two thirds of the way through the Divine Comedy, so it may be a while. I read these sorts of things over a long period, digesting them bit by bit.

This is still a discussion forum. That much remains the same. My point still stands.

3. Eddie Getting Tilted

You can certainly read it and gain worldly knowledge, however unless you have God's spirit in you, you will not receive the eternal benefits.

4. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

but you're not a Christian, got it

5. Baraka_Guru

I'm not looking for any knowledge per se. Much of the core tenets and their meanings I will likely already be familiar with in other contexts. Consider, for example, the parallels between Christianity and Buddhism on a fundamental level. I've already read so much Buddhism, and even a fair bit of Hinduism, that I'm expecting to see a lot of overlap on that level. (I'm also quite familiar with the basics of Christianity through other means.)

What I'm looking for mainly is the poetic value of the text---metaphor, diction, meter, rhythm, turns of phrase---in addition to the storytelling value. Any "eternal benefits" I could derive from the Bible I'm already probably experiencing to a large degree. However, I will be open to learning new things if that should happen.

6. Eddie Getting Tilted

nope, I'm not a christian and i'm not religious. I simply believe the truth.
    --- merged: Nov 29, 2011 2:50 AM ---
    And what do you know of eternity?

7. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

8. Baraka_Guru

Nothing fundamentally. No one does. I'm assuming you are referring to things that exist which are unchanging. One example is that it is in our nature to suffer. Nothing will change that. I have the "eternal benefit" of having acknowledged that suffering is inherent in us.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "eternal benefit."

Eternity itself is something else. Since everything is in flux, the only thing truly eternal is change.

Could you clarify what you mean?

9. Eddie Getting Tilted

Eternal is a quality. It can't be seen. Everything you see, is temporary.

10. Baraka_Guru

Okay, I get that. But what is an "eternal benefit"? Can you give me some examples?

I'm a bit confused by this.

Does this mean you believe in Christ but don't ascribe to his teachings? Or are you some kind of Christian/post-Christian secularist?

11. Eddie Getting Tilted

Ok, so, a person who believes in Jesus, that he is God's son, that He died on the cross for the sins of the world, immediately receives a new spiritual life, a new birth. The new life is eternal in quality. And an eternal benefit would be anything that allows that child to grow.
    --- merged: Nov 29, 2011 3:15 AM ---
    I don't use the term "christian" because it means nothing. If someone wants to know what I believe, I'll tell them. I don't need some worldly, over-used, misused label to describe who I am and what I believe.

12. Baraka_Guru

Okay, I thought so. I wasn't sure. You're basically saying the eternal benefit is access to an afterlife, in heaven in this case. Right?

I believe that this life is the only life we have. I'm not concerned about the idea of an afterlife. It won't be something I'll consider while reading the Bible. I've already told you what I'm concerned about.

So you are a Christian in that you believe in and ascribe to the teachings of Christ, but you don't call yourself a Christian because of the religious/social problems associated with such a label? I think I understand.

I could be labelled a secular humanist, but I tend to avoid that because there is a movement towards formalizing that as a label, as a kind of belief system. I see problems with that too, as there are things I will tend to be indifferent about or disagree with on one point or another.

13. Eddie Getting Tilted

Nope. I have eternal life right now. It's applicable right now. It's the life that allows me to fellowship with God, be blessed by Him, learn from Him, be protected by Him, know Him, and see some of what He sees.

14. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

15. Baraka_Guru

That's what I assumed by having access to an afterlife. Maybe I'm misusing the term. Anyway, as I said, I'm unconcerned with that in my approach to the Bible. I tend to view issues of fellowship, learning, protection, and knowledge to be my own responsibility (this is both a humanist and Buddhist ideal).

The concept of eternity is addressed in Buddhism with regard to an enlightened state that essentially means one becomes untouched by the cycle of birth and death (i.e. no clinging to life, no fear of death). But I view much of that as metaphorical. As I said earlier, the only eternity I know of is the eternity of flux (hence the futility of clinging to life and fearing death). Much of Buddhism addresses these concerns of impermanence.

16. Eddie Getting Tilted

The term afterlife doesn't apply to what I'm talking about. Eternal life is not afterlife, it's now life.

17. Baraka_Guru

That's why I said I think I'm misusing the term. But won't your physical body die away?

18. Eddie Getting Tilted

How can you know flux is eternal if you weren't there at the beginning and won't be there at the end?
    --- merged: Nov 29, 2011 3:37 AM ---
    Yeah, of course it will.

19. Baraka_Guru

It's something I can depend on based on observation. For all I know the universe may dissipate eventually. For all intents and purposes, however, I will call flux eternal because that is something to contemplate when considering daily life. It helps avoid clinging to things, because it's futile. Life is change.

So from a scientific perspective, no, I don't know whether flux is eternal. Philosophically, I assume it to be so. Scientifically, we cannot know if anything is eternal. It's assumed by many that nothing is.

But I think we're wandering away from the OP a bit far. How about getting back to God and fear and love? :)

I tend to define life biologically.

20. Eddie Getting Tilted

Your definition is limited to your humanity, your experiences and understanding are limited to your humanity.