1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Admit when you were wrong: tell us the story

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by cynthetiq, Jul 31, 2011.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

There's that feeling you get when you are arguing something with someone and you realize that you are wrong. It happens from time to time because we can't always be right.

Right now I just had that feeling by myself laying on my bed. I'm using an iPad right now and I have always relegated it to a consumption only device. Writing posts isn't all that easy when they are long but it is not unmanageable. In fact the rich text formatting of the message box isn't available to me on the iPad.

What made me realize that I was wrong about them is tha for the most part I have done a good amount of setup and configuring of this new space via the iPad. I have been working this thing for at least 2 hours every night after sitting on my pc for several hours before then. Hot damn the shit works pretty well.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

A couple of weeks ago I was shopping for some new work shoes. I had been buying basically the same pair of loafers over and over again from Kohl's for $50. They were serviceable, but every 6-8 months I was replacing them because they wore down fast. I decided that I was going to spend more, get better quality, and hope they lasted longer and were more comfortable. I stopped at a few shoe stores but found nothing I liked. I checked some online sites, and had the same experience, plus being leery about buying shoes online without being able to try them on.

Finally I was at a local mall with my wife and came across the Johnston and Murphy store. They had some shoes that were the style I wanted. They were on sale from $270 to $190. That was near the top of what I wanted to spend, but I really wanted some good shoes (flat feet, back issues, lots of walking on concrete) so I decided to get them. My wife had not been with me when I had shopped previously, so she hadn't seen any of the effort I'd went to in shopping. So to her I had just walked into the first shoe store I saw and wanted to buy the first pair of shoes I had seen. She said I should be patient and shop around some more. I said I had shopped a fair amount and wanted these shoes, and it was a good enough deal to be worth it. So I bought them.

The very next day I saw a sale on some Bruno Magli shoes in the style I wanted that were $430 marked down to $190. I didn't tell her. :p Now, after a few weeks I am very happy with the shoes I did get. They are comfortable and are holding up well. I think they are of good quality. But one side of me wonders if I wouldn't have liked the more expensive (original price) shoes better. My wife is a huge bargain hunter and will spend hours shopping to save $10. I'm the type to walk into a store, find what I want, buy it, and figure the $10 extra I spent was worth the savings in my time. We are both right in our own way, but I wish I'd have listened to her this time!!

And no, I'm not a brand name whore by any means, though I do appreciate nice things. But shoes are one of the things I think are worth investing in if you are on your feet a lot.

3. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

My main living room is my recording studio. For 10 years, a boom stand had been taking up floor space, and toppling my main vocal mic onto the floor etc.

[​IMG]

I was looking for other solutions, and realised that a Much Bigger boom stand, could be in teh corner of the room, on massive legs, and with massive counterweight ... and thus let the mike swing half way accross the room to where I use it.
    I pondered on this solution for a couple of years.

[​IMG]

This kind of desk-mounted angle-poise/cantilever thing NEVER came into my sights. Puny little thing, and you can't move it accross the room.

[​IMG]
    And it's the kind of thing used by ... by Disk Jockeys .. and I'm .. I'm .. A MUSICIAN!!!! [Insert precious stagey-lovey accent and tone ... John Hurt, for example]

About 6 months ago, I realised I ALWAYS use my vocal mike within a few feet of my desk, and that the advert for the cantilever stand said it could cope with a mic FAR heavier than the one I have .. which is pretty massive. And it was made by RODE, who made my mic. And .. whitter whitter whitter.

So I Bought the Cantelever Mike stand and ..... I have been Kicking myself for the Ten Wasted Years of Cramped Hell and Collapsing Crashes. That little cantilever mike stand totally protects my mike, never falls over, instantly adjusts to where I need it.

Doh Doh Doh DOH!

:)

4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Hell, I'm always wrong. I constantly have to stop myself from saying stupid things and Google / Wikipedia the topic to check.

Basically everything I grew up "knowing" about firearms turned out to be disproved in one way or another by actually using them.

At 15 - "Once you get the sights lined up, the bullets go straight." (extensive training w/ Duck Hunt)
    At 26 - "Sight holdover. Barrel tilt. Windage. Elevation." (extensive training with actual guns)

At 23 - "The M4 is such a dirty, unreliable piece of crap." (while growing up and in the military)
    At 26 - "The M4 is perfectly fine if you know how to use it." (after going to shooting schools)

At 19 - "The AK47 is the ultimate fighting man's rifle." (History channel specials, Internet forums)
    At 25 - "Fuck an AK47. It handles like a brick." (owns several, uses them at work on a regular basis)

At 16 - ".44 Magnum will blow a hole through an engine block!" (played with one in a gun shop)
    At 24 - ".44 Magnum is easily stopped by a thin bulletproof vest." (owns a Colt Anaconda)

At 20 - ".50 BMG 'sniper rifles' are the ultimate in long distance." (saw them in movies)
    At 25 - ".50 BMG anti-material rifles aren't for precision work." (used them in Afghanistan)

At 21 - *buys numerous rifles, pistols and shotguns* (wants to play with everything)
    At 27 - *wishes he didn't* (just wants to be really good with a handful of guns)

So, yeah, thousands of dollars later I've proved basically one thing: It's much cheaper to read up on things before you buy.

5. I was shopping in a large hypermarket, and reaching the frozen food isle, I noticed Jim from the pub leaning into the freezer. 'Still got a nice arse there Jim' i joked - at which point a total stranger stood up, and replied 'I'm not Jim, but thanks very much'.

6. jewels

jewels New Member

I was never wrong when I was young, but I'm always wrong now. :p At least it's easier to admit now.

Besides being absolutely sure that the second marriage was going to be it :rolleyes: something a little more concrete was when I purchased a sofa on my own for the first time just a few years ago. I spent months researching prices, comfort, fabric and style. Thought I knew it all. Found the perfect couch at the right price, was able to special order the fabric color to coordinate with the side chair I'd previously fell in love with and purchased the previous year. When it was delivered, the seat height was about four inches higher than the side chair. It looked totally awkward.

Turns out I didn't know everything about sofas. Surprise! But it also turns out I didn't care all that much as my pending Architectural Digest photoshoot is pending for my next lifetime. Loved the sofa, loved the chair and they were both comfortable and I was still happy.

Does this mean that being wrong can sometimes be fun?

7. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

my entire freshman year at the Air Force Academy i was wrong.

the first time i was in the driver's seat of a car i didn't know to take it out of gear (it was a stick shift) before turning on the ignition and i crashed into my garage.

i thought my first girlfriend was a good girl who would never cheat on me.
    i thought symantec and avg combined would make my computer invincible.
    i thought linux was easy to use and cool for its customizablility.
    i thought pokemon was a shit game.

/if i had a nickle for every time i was wrong

8. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

I was wrong when I saw my other post go in, apparently.

9. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

My Big Dag Gum Wrong for today [I hope]:

Doorbell rang ... nekkid, I put my flappy robe on, out my apartment door, kicked the mat in place so the door would not swing shut behind me, opened the main door and talked with the man who wanted to read the gas meter in order to prepare my gas bill.

Snecking apartment door Clicked Shut.
    I had NOT in fact positioned the snecking mat.

I was locked out.

Walking three quarters of a mile through town, NEKKID .... IN A FLAPPY ROBE? Unintentional designer stubble and borrowed sneakers for my feet, to where I suspected there might be a spare key being looked after?

Yes. That was me :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mick

Mick Vertical

I am quite often wrong about a great many things.

It's taken me a long time, but I'm actually OK with that fact.

11. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i have been married for 12 years. I am always wrong. even when my wife is wrong, i am wrong. I have learned to live with it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mephex

Mephex New Member

I posted a lot of pictures and generally silly things in the posting games section without making any intellectual contribution to the forum. For this I was wrong. As I'm really not just warming back up to posting here, I'm completely comfortable with it. And also because prohibition works, and I really want to reinforce that. ;)

13. Freeload

Freeload Getting Tilted

I decided I could handle another glass of whisky this saturday - but I realized I was wrong as I later hosted a little reunion with a selection of the evenings food and beverages.

14. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I don't know - this happens a lot - you buy something and then find something comparable (or better) for the same or cheaper. Sometimes you just have to suck this up - is the 'more expensive' thing actually better? not always.

If you are happy with what you have, why bemoan the (later) missed opportunity?

15. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

Ralphie, I'm in the same boat, but for 28 years... I, too, have learned to live with it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Don't second guess yourself. J&M make quality shoes and once you hit about a $150 price point, the only big differences are what style fits your feet best and how much you'll impress fashion snobs. Good shoes are good shoes and will be as long as you take care of them keep them polished, and resole them every few years when they need it. Get yourself a nice pair of cedar shoe trees with a wide heel piece and put them in every night when you take them off, they'll absorb moisture, prevent foot odor, and keep the shoes from losing their shape over the years.

17. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

As winged about in the pity thread, I sprained my foot, was told by the ER that 'these days we do not strap them up' .... so I went with that as well as going along with foolish confidence that things would 'get better soon'. It has been unstable, with possibly some instances of re-injury. Yesterday I got an ankle support bandage and without a doubt, this is the better course.

"It's OK ..... I'll just get over it." This last few hours, there are plenty of times I have silently being saying the English equivalent of 'Oh Dear. Silly me ... how foolish I have been"

18. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

When I was in the military I was given this one particular frag grenade to keep in my bag to blow up the radio if necessary. It wasn't for attaching to my vest to toss at bad guys or any of that hero shit; just to be used in case we were ambushed and about to be captured or some ridiculous armed-but-not-dangerous GWoT scenario. As we drew down from that deployment, all of the explosives were collected (demolition blocks, 40mm grenade launcher rounds, AT-4 rocket launchers, hand grenades, flares, etc.). I dumped all my stuff out for my squad leader and completely forgot about the M67 dummy corded inside my backpack next to the empty radio compartment. Got into a huge shouting match over it with the dude because I totally forgot about the damn thing. Would have swore on a stack of Bibles and all that. Was making a big show of how I didn't have anything left by picking up my gear to shoulder level and dropping it on the plywood floor in the hooch. "Grenade? I don't have shit, man!" When I dropped my backpack, it made a grenade-style thump in front of a dozen dudes. Definitely one of those, "Hey, I'm a moron!" moments. But it was a rough year.

19. wolf Evil Grin

Yup... I have to agree. I've been married for almost 11 years and I have learned to live with the fact that I am almost always wrong. Very rarely am I right, and god forbid I bring up the fact that I was right, I will instantly become wrong.

20. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

I have a penis, therefore I am wrong.

My son has Arpergers. His 7th grade year he was getting in more and more trouble for stupid shit, low grades (he was working his ass off, but struggling to maintain 1.6 gpa) and fighting. It became apparent that a traditional school environment was just not gonna work for him. We began searching for a solution and my wife ran across an online charter school. I was strongly opposed, wouldn't even consider it. The school required a fair amount of self discipline, and motivation and honestly, those are not the two traits that come to mind when somebody says 7th grade boy to me.

We tried a couple other solutions, and failed miserably. I finally figured that the worst thing that happens if tried this online school was that it didn't work and we would have to try something else, but at least we would know. I was wrong about the school and how my son would perform. He finished the year with a 3.3 GPA. He was happier, more confident, and much more successful in his sporting activities as well. It made a HUGE difference in his life.

I was wrong.

• Like Like x 1