1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Affirming the Nonexistence of God

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Hektore, Nov 27, 2011.

1. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

I've got to say that I'm impressed with this discussion. Not swayed one whit by anything said here, but impressed. Far too many people confuse a faith with the followers. One of the things I've had problems with over the years with a number of atheists I've know has been that the mere existence of various faiths is anathema to them. They are as fervent in their non-belief as the most devout of the faiths they decry.

Here at least, the level of discourse has been intelligent and non-offensive. I like it.

But I have nothing to add.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

This is true...and I'm as opposed to their self-righteousness as with anyone else
    who in their arrogance decides their view should be pushed upon others
    or shows disdain to differing perspectives.

3. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

I'm curious how you square this:
    with this:
    Considering that a majority of the world's population believes not only in a god, but one that takes explicit interest in human affairs, surely the latter statement isn't reflective of equal respect for their differing perspective. Do you really believe that no theological position is worthy of disdain? Even when you consider the consequences of following through on that position, such as innocents being burned alive as witches?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I make a very clear distinction between secular humanists and belligerent atheists (most of whom would identify with New Atheism but seem to have a chip on their shoulder about it).

Secular humanists aren't necessarily critical of religion or anti-religious as many atheists are. The primary concern is a code of ethics and morality that is absent of superstition and religious dogma. A secular humanist mainly be concerned about religion when it interferes with human rights. Compared to certain atheists, they are more open and tolerant, as they are also generally concerned with ways to make the world a better place. I'm sure many believe that world includes religion. I'm also sure many atheists would disagree.

Besides, not all religions are that concerned about the existence of God. Buddhism and Hinduism, for example, are rather unconcerned with the idea of a creator god.

5. rogue49

Is it easy for me to resolve it...

If you are comfortable in your own beliefs, one of faith or not...or inbetween
    then great for you...and if you are not, then that's your thing to work out.

I meant it "leave others to themselves",
    This goes all ways.
    Not just people's thoughts...but how they act on others.
    People who leave people alone, don't burn them.

And if you feel, a higher entity is involved with your life and world, so be it.
    But it is still irrelevant to mine and others' lives.
    That idea does not directly affect anyone else.
    If they are "controlled" by God, then they are...but you don't have proof either way. (True or not)
    Or if you do have proof, then you are not the One/Many doing the controlling.
    Then it is His/Hers/Its business, not yours.

But if you don't believe this...then again, you don't affect anyone.

Each person is responsible for their own meaning.
    A person of influence, may be able to convince another, but that is their situation.
    And the situation or relationship changes throughout a person's life.

I've seen MANY people split hairs throughout my time.
    One moment they are saying THIS and THAT,
    and another it is neither this or that.
    Depends on the mood, situation, timeframe, etc, etc...
    And whether they are talking about themselves...or another person.
    And even this is not static, but fluxes thru time.

The word "Should" is a very popular word for people when talking about beliefs,
    but it isn't that consistent when it comes to actual actions.

I've heard MANY different beliefs.
    And the only ones I'm wary of are those that are supporting harm to another.
    But then again, I'd be wary of a true atheist that supports harm to others.
    (I'm picky that way...)

So, that being said.
    My philosophy is "I'm cool, you're cool"
    And people who are aren't cool with that...then I'm not cool with them.

And the Universe MAY take an interest, but that's its concern.

Me? I'm just trying to get through the day.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  6. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

It would seem to me then, that you're perfectly fine with hammering on a person's faith when that faith is actually causing problems in the world. Is that a fair assessment? It seems like the last part of your previous post has this hint of a kind relativist imperialism to it, but that could just be me unfairly impugning it with my hackles already being raised (at something else) today.

7. My opinion is that our higher thinking is still part of our evolutionary inheritance. Thinking, emotion, empathy, reason: they all evolved to help us survive and to provide a framework for cooperation in a group. This doesnt mean that our actions are preprogrammed or that free will does not exist. It is not intended to give everyone a free pass on misdeeds; it just is.

Not just fear: sexual desire.

You said that the imperitaves we once needed to survive don't fit well into the societies that we have created. I think that you're right. We developed when we needed to balance our individual interests and values (a complicated word) against those of just a few groups - pairs of lovers, our family, our tribe of fewer than 100 people and perhaps a few others. Now we have our lovers, our families, our friends, our work colleagues, our governments, our social clubs, our clubs related to intellectual interests... not to mention ourselves... its a lot to juggle.

8. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

in xtianity, you've got maybe three main ways to address this existence of god matter. this is different from belief (pascal again)....anyway, onward into the muck of plot summaries:

(a) the god character is presupposed in any proof because but nothing about the god character can be demonstrated from within the proofs that pressuppose the god character not because there's anything super-awesome about the god character but because that's the relation of proofs to the axioms that are presupposed by proofs.

If you're metaphysically inclined and so are interested in the notion of proof in general and axioms in general, within this rule set that is arbitrary outside it's own cultural framework which there's no chance of even stipulating from inside a metaphysical game that excludes it (because we're talking about Metaphysics, so universals and not particulars, like what actual human beings do), you land with the hoary old ontological proof.

the ontological proof is a restatement of the problem of demonstrating axioms from inside the proof that presupposes them.

so in the most logical version of xtianity you run into the problem that logical systems are not and cannot be closed and this idea of a demonstration, past a certain point, is demonstrated to be not demonstrable.
    problem problem but one not only for these goofy metaphysical proofs but for any logical system. next stop gödel, i guess.

OR:

(b) you can take a nominalist approach, which supposes that if there is an infinite god we can't imagine what that would mean because of our finite understanding. we wouldn't know what infinite means and the word god would not refer to anything beyond the implications that come along with the name god which refers to some empty or imaginary space in our conceptual framework and not necessarily to anything beyond that. although it could refer to something outside the imaginary space we create within a conceptual framework using the name god and modifying it with the adjective infinite. but we can't know that. and, on it's own grounds, we never will.

so either

(1) thinking about words and other symbols, their natures and limits (like as forms, you know?) is a worthwhile pursuit because, while you can't know anything that lay beyond them, you can know something of the extent of their capacities to formalize and so at least know something, even if that something is about words

(2) believe as if none of that obtains (welcome to pascal's world)

(3) don't believe not because you know anything in particular beyond maybe (1) but rather because the material evidence concerning the consequences of belief---actually existing believers---tend to suck so much. this is a separation of belief from knowing of course, which allows you to think about belief as a matter of community formation and social reproduction.

all without necessarily having to claim to know anything beyond the initial hypothesis---if the name god refers to anything, and that anything is modified as "infinite" which is the inverse of "finite" which our understanding ends up being by default (god is the Big Not Us) then we can't know anything of it, not even whether our starting position is true or not.

OR you can:
    (3) go the martin luther route of saying yes yes all that may be true or not depending but it doesn't matter because there's grace or inspiration or whatever and I FEEL IT MAN and that becomes the center of the relationship with whatever these words refer to , that I FEEL IT MAN. which is, of course, irrational. irrational can be batshit crazy or it can be just not amenable to proof. I FEEL IT MAN can neither be demonstrated or falsified.

A. I FEEL IT MAN.
    B. no you don't.

if beverages are involved a donnybrook could ensue.

but i digress.

9. Pixel

Pixel Getting Tilted

I gotta agree with Patton Oswalt on this one:

"I'm gonna have rape for dinner"

10. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

You look at Martin Luther King Jr, Gandhi, and so on men who truly lived by their beliefs, never once did they say in public "God told me to do this, or God told me we should do that, or God wants me to rule the lands under his auspices and what is written in this great book of his." Nor did they ever turn someone away because of a different faith.

I think God is a closet Obama supporter.

11. rogue49

No, incorrect...not at all accurate.
    This is presumption on your part at best or trolling at worst.
    Sounds like you are making an assumption that I judge all for the act of one or a few.

I don't hammer on the Faith, I hammer on the person doing the act.
    We are each responsible for our own actions, and blaming your own faith or someone else's is typically a warping of it.

But it is fair to say, if your faith is specifically stating that you go and harm or slaughter others, then I'm likely to take issue with it.
    But that goes in line with my sense of "leave others to themselves"

I'd say, you may need to reassess when you are in a less aggravated state.

And now for a smile...

Classic.
    "Sky cake, why are you so delicious?"

12. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

I don't see the ambiguity in my previous post that led you to believe that I'm accusing you of being too readily judgemental about groups of people based on a small sample of their membership, does that mean I can now muse about whether or not you're trolling? :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to understand what exactly it is you're on about. Were I to write a cliff notes version of your posts, at this point it would read "It is not ok to pester a person about their faith, except when it is ok." Which while not an unreasonable position, I don't find it to be particularly enlightening. So I asked a simple question about it, and you make the effort to say both 'no' and 'yes', not exactly adding clarity. Which I guess leaves me with giving up or asking again, but perhaps in a different way.

When a person's faith is causing them to act like a world-class asshole is it acceptable to call them down on it or not?

13. rogue49

To repeat...
    I don't hammer on the Faith, I hammer on the person doing the act.
    We are each responsible for our own actions, and blaming your own faith or someone else's is typically a warping of it.

But it is fair to say, if your faith is specifically stating that you go and harm or slaughter others, then I'm likely to take issue with it.
    But that goes in line with my sense of "leave others to themselves"

And to clarify...
    A person's faith for the most part is irrelevant to me. I only care if they are an asshole or not. (to paraphrase Cynthetiq's favorite line)
    And if a person, who is a person of faith or not, it being an asshole pushing their ideas on me...I walk away. (or turn the channel)

That is, unless they are trying to do harm on me, then I will confront them.

I don't know how it can be more clear
    - Do what you will, except harm others.
    - If you're an asshole, I assume that it is you. (not your faith)
    - And if you do harm, then you will have a problem with me. (whether it is your faith's fault or not)

14. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

By "faith" I'm assuming you mean one's religious beliefs.

An individual's religious beliefs are not a problem unless that individual holds a position of power and has the means to force others to live by moral and legal dictates not of their own choosing.

or

If the religion is so widespread and it's believers so fervent as to pose a significant threat to non-believers by tirelessly seeking out ways to inflict their indoctrinated social and moral ideals on others.

I accept and tolerate religious faith at the individual level. It's the Borg mentality and it's need for conquest and integration into the whole, that I find so disturbing. I'm specifically referring to Fundamentalist Christianity and Fundamentalist Islam with this comment.

15. rogue49

Too true, this is why say "leave others to themselves"

Actually I just found this article noting such a thing elsewhere,
    doesn't matter the location or the religion, there are always asshats trying to force their agenda. (BTW, this is not support of one faith over another, just an example)

RealClearPolitics - Time to Air Muslim Violence Against Christians

16. rogue49

A little bit more back on topic, in the end people use many different things to rationalize their actions, religion being one of them.
    So just people being bad, is no reason to remove their faith...as they will just figure out another way to do what they want.
    I've heard about it all over the world, throughout history...religion, country, tribal, ethnic, sex, class, etc, etc, etc...

In the end, it's about personal responsibility.
    You do good, you do bad
    How you figure it out in your head is variable.

On another note, Atheists are having a D.C. rally
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/atheists-holding-reason-rally-washington-dc-weekend-193419793.html

Now...this is cool, I like that they are coming out and doing their thing.

The only thing I am curious about, it that they are calling the "Reason Rally".
    Do atheists think that they are the only ones who can reason, have reason...be reasonable?

Are they being as arrogant as all the others?
    Should they be stopped because they think they are superior?
    The argument goes both ways.

It's little things like this which make me see the humor in everything,
    because we're all fucked...

Me, I've got a curse...I see all things all different ways, all sides...so it makes me seem wishy-washy.
    My wife hates it...because she is PASSIONATE, and never sits on a fence.
    Boy, does that make for interesting conversations. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  17. rogue49

Followup, to above article on the DC Atheist's rally
    US atheists rally urged to mock religious

In his brief address, Dawkins encouraged fellow atheists to ridicule those who claim to be religious.
    “Mock them, ridicule them in public,” he urged. “Don’t fall for the convention that we’re all too polite to talk about religion.”

Yes, because this will get your point across oh so well... :rolleyes:

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not religious. Me, I'm not at all frightened by a cold universe. My faith is just a flavor.
    But I don't think he's helping the case.

18. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

Two more articles about the Reason Rally from sources that don't have an ideological bias hostile to the mere existence of atheists, let alone any rally they might hold:
    Reason Rally: 30k godless undeterred by rain - National atheism | Examiner.com
    ‘Godless’ rally for recognition - The Washington Post

I was there and to say that it was just a big religious hate-fest is not accurate. To be fair, there was some hating going on, but the point was not that hating religion is somehow a worthwhile goal all by itself. Honestly, 'the point' of the rally as stated positively by the many speakers was more than a bit inchoate, much like the 'movement' itself. If I were to try to summarise the day I would say it was more about recognition that religious world views needlessly cause a lot of misery and secularists are not going to be quiet about it. Also, just as importantly, that there are enough of us that we needn't worry about being bullied into keeping our mouths shut because we also have numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pixel

Pixel Getting Tilted

It seems to me that a lot of atheists make it a religion in itself. Being evangelists for no god.

Unless religious nuts threaten me or innocent people with more than threat of indoctrination, I'm not going to stress about them. Let people believe what they like unless it spills on to me.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  20. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

As with any group sharing a broad set of values, you're going to get varying degrees of assholery. Dawkins doesn't represent atheism; he represents a particular political position within atheism. It is one that is often anti-religious and possibly anti-spiritual.

As a contrast to Dawkins and much of so-called New Atheism (a group that has increasingly led me to believe they are little more than disgruntled atheists with chips on their shoulders), have a look at the following. It is more in line with my position (which is largely secular humanist). I would also like to think that there is a large population of atheists who relate with these points as well.

Atheists, please read my heathen manifesto | Julian Baggini | Comment is free | The Guardian