1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Aging Rockers - Rush is getting old!

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Leto, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Relevance is in the eyes of the beholder.

Kanye and Beyonce may be current and relevant to some; but I couldn't identify a single song from either.

I grew up listening to blues and rock. I still listen to blues and rock. I'm fine with many new artists; but pop, rap, & edm have never appealed to me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. omega

omega Very Tilted

Heh, I did say I have seen rush three times. Over 28 years. My first concert was the who, in 1987. I have rock appreciation bona fides. The thing is, those guys aren't putting out new music. Or if it's new, it's not very good. Eric Clapton plays weepy maudlin acoustic stuff now. When was the last time he really rocked out. Robert Plant and Allison Kraus are just not that exciting. I listened to classic rock exclusively through high school. And then I realized that the doors aren't making new music. That pink floyd's best days are long behind them. As far as rock, the black keys and Jack white are still making new stuff. But I need to hear new stuff because my mind is still growing. And I think we can all agree that country music pretty much sucks donkey dick. Whiny bullshit manufactured pablum for old ladies, and kids trying to "keep it real".

• Like Like x 2
  3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Nobody wants to see their heroes get old. It reminds them they too are aging and will die.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

I'd still jump at the chance to see Van Halen. They are aging, no doubt, and reminds me that I am too. But, I'd still pay good money to see "old" Eddie shred better than most young' ns out there.

5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Has EVH ever sobered up? There are some vids around from a few years ago that show him doing featured (sponsored) artist gear demos. You can see the manufacturer reps (Peavey???) picking up the burning cigarettes that an obviously buzzed Eddie kept laying on the equipment.

6. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Same, there's a rant about this in me; but I'm off to a blues fest and don't have the time. :p

Clapton at 80% can still run circles around most guitarists and he can say more with 1 note than many can with 1000. Ya, we're both getting old. I have no intention of aging gracefully, I'm fine with him doing the same.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blood Brother

Blood Brother New Member

And these geezer bands have withstood the test of time, continuing to pack in large crowds while touring. It amazes me how many teens and youngsters attend these concerts. Gotta give the old rockers credit!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris Noyb

Until you go to a KISS concert and see fans aged 60+ wearing their leather outfits. :eek: :p

9. omega

omega Very Tilted

Imagine how bad some of those 30 year old outfits smell. And how stretched some of them are now.

10. thename New Member

Yes , another old and great band

11. Chris Noyb

FTR/FWIW--As a teenager I thought that KISS sucked (this was back at the start & peak of their popularity) and my opinion hasn't changed. If I had to give them credit, it would be for putting on a spectacular stage show, they were entertainers (I don't mean their musicianship), and they knew how market their product. Just not my taste.
    --- merged: Jul 5, 2015 7:20 PM ---

The die-hard fans cover-up the smell with KISS cologne :eek:.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

With the death of Chris Squire this week, and Anderson and Wakeman leaving for various health reasons, whilst I certaimly love the material Downes contributed to on Drama and Fly From Here, I don't think that I'll go far to see them. If they play near me I'd go, but it's not likely.

13. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I had to get on to youtube to refresh myself on Rush. I guess that says something about how memorable they are (to me.) Neil Peart could probably win any most pretentious drum kit contest. Not to question his ability, but sheesh, all that hardware.:rolleyes:

Rush is just another one of a couple dozen show bands that are good proficient musicians, that put on a good show, but that to me at least, don't have anything going that is especially interesting, clever, inventive, or original. That is , they don't have anything new to say.

Like many "geezer rockers" they have found a musical and performing formula that works for them and they keep turning the crank and the product falls out the other end of the machine. Thirty + years of musical sameness. Meh.

Seventies Bands? I'll take The Clash, The Police, Dire Straits, Chicago, Talking Heads...

Popular music by its nature has to keep moving on. If I never heard another Rush song, I probably...

wouldn't notice.

14. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

What I find interesting is that bands like The Damned who are just as old as Kiss still play shows but they are worlds better.
    Maybe because they are down with the audience and not doing huge arenas or maybe because punk has always had a different ethos but their shows have a mix of high energy and fuck you we are going to take the piss out of Malcom McLaren that is a joy to behold.

• Like Like x 1
  15. redux

redux Very Tilted

Not quite as old....

Walking by the Warner Theater at lunch today, I noticed the marquee is promoting the Pat Benatar & hubby Neil Giraldo concert on Wed night as part of their 35th anniversary tour. I'll pass on this one.

16. Chris Noyb

I frequently say, "I wouldn't walk across the street to see (name a band) even if I had free tickets." Music meant a lot to me when I was younger, these days not so much. I was a weird kid. I liked some rock bands well enough, but I was more into regional bands, blues, jazz, old R&B, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  17. redux

redux Very Tilted

18. Jager

Jager Vertical

Rush 40 cd/blu ray set is worth the money.

• Like Like x 1