1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Alcohol and teenagers. When parents let kids drink.

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Borla, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

TFP parents, I'm curious as to your thoughts, policies, and opinions when it comes to letting teenagers drink under supervision. The thought was sparked by someone I know letting their kid attend an after prom party where alcohol was served by the host parents in a somewhat controlled environment.

I'm curious as to what the various opinions are to this going on. I can see some arguments for each side.

On the pro side, I can see some benefit in having a teenager's early exposure to alcohol be under the supervision of adults. You could control the intake, make sure they don't drive, make sure they don't drink so much they get drunk/sick/whatever limit you set. There are also some reasonable controls you could put in place, like taking keys away, agreeing beforehand that no one who drinks leaves until morning, or whatever other limits the parent wants to set. It would also allow some open and honest communication about responsible use of alcohol, proper limits, the effects, and give some experience in handling it.

On the negative side, if the amount of alcohol they are allowed to consume is enough to cause inebriation, you could be setting them up for some negative habits, maybe even dangerous ones. Despite whatever rules you set, they could be broken, especially when we are talking about hosting a group of teenagers who are all drinking. A quick google search will lead you to many stories of parents hosting parties like this where it ended in tragedy, even when they tried to place controls on the party. In many places this also opens the parents up to huge legal liability, including prison. Let alone how someone would feel if they hosted a party like this and something horrible ended up happening.

When I was growing up my parents never really allowed us to have alcohol as kids. Maybe a handful of times I got to taste a beer or a drink, but I can't remember ever being given one of my own. My parents would occasionally have a drink or some drinks in front of us, but it wasn't a daily or even weekly thing. I never remember seeing either of my parents drunk (though I saw a few other relatives drunk). There were a few times that drinks were snuck at parties or when with older friends, but I was never one of those kids who went out and got drunk on the sly.

I moved out before I was 21, and there were a handful of times I was around my parents after I left home but before I was 21 where I had a drink, or a couple of drinks, and they never really objected. My dad did tell me once to be very careful even having a single beer and driving before I was 21 due to "zero tolerance" laws that meant a 20 year old driving with ANY alcohol in their system would be charged with a DUI. Though they had no moral objection to drinking, I couldn't imagine them ever hosting a party for drinking while I was underage. I don't know of any of my friends' parents who did either.

I'm curious, what do/did TFP parents do?
    For those with small children, what do you plan to do?
    What do you think is reasonable?

2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

We have a young adult who lives in our home. She is 20 years old. So I kinda do have a little experience with this topic. I sometimes pour her a glass of wine. Only on especially difficult days. We are her host family, and according to the policy of the agency that secured her visa, we are permitted to legally provide her with alcohol, as we would our own child.

My husband won't give her any alcohol. He doesn't purchase any for her. He doesn't hand her one of his beers. He counts his beers to make sure she's not getting any (she hates beer anyway, so it doesn't matter). He assures me he will do the same with our children.

Hubby drank alcohol as a young teenager, his friends' parents gave it to him, and it was readily available in his home. He considers himself a borderline alcoholic, and definitely is predisposed to alcoholism because his family has a bunch of Irish Catholic drunks. When he is buzzed, he occasionally tries to give our daughters sips of alcohol. I am very opposed to this. I ask him not to. He responds with "mom says no" and that's that. Our 3 year old may have had a sip or two of beer because of this habit of his, but it hasn't been when I've been home. He knows I don't want them touching the stuff until they're older. He thinks that they'll somehow consider alcohol a "forbidden fruit" if they're not allowed to drink it. I only see that being the case if they're constantly in social situations when others are allowed to drink and they are denied the privilege. At age 3 and under 1, I don't think they're old enough to really pick up on this kind of social pressure.

I was raised in a home that had zero alcohol. I had zero interest as a teenager to engage in any social activities in which alcohol might be present. My first sip of alcohol was after I was 21. I don't drink often. When I do, it's no more than 1 glass of wine. I have a very low tolerance for alcohol. 2 sips is enough to get me buzzed. 1 glass gets me plastered. I don't find alcohol pleasurable in any way. I do sometimes take 2 sips of wine to help me sleep at night. I can count the number of times that I have consumed alcohol in a bar or a restaurant on one hand. I only drink when I'm surrounded by people that I truly trust. I don't understand why it's such a big thing in our culture. I have no issue letting go and being myself in the absence of alcohol. I enjoy spending time with a bunch of buzzed friends. I'm perfectly content being the designated driver.

When I was in college, I may or may not have purchased beer for minors. I lived in a co-op. Beer was purchased for parties. Sometimes I would make that purchase. At these parties, I would actively hand out soda pop to people who I knew were under age, and I didn't drink myself.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My dad's family is European, so I grew up being able to drink on special occasions. Most of my early experiences with alcohol were supervised by my parents, but they never supplied alcohol to my friends when we were under 18. Once I was over 18 and in college, my mom bought me bottles of liquor to take back to college with me, but I was responsible for any consequences of sharing with others. I took it as a serious privilege.

Now that I'm over 21, I absolutely do not ever share with minors, and that has been the case since I turned 21. Something like furnishing would have very serious consequences for me.

I think it's reasonable to allow teens to consume a glass of wine or beer with a nice dinner like I was allowed to do, but I personally would never supply alcohol to anyone besides my own children, as doing otherwise is outside of the scope of the law in my state, and I would not want to risk my career.

4. I don't want alcohol to be taboo in our house. Children in other countries drink wine at a much earlier age and it's not a big deal. If it loses it's novelty, then it won't be so exciting to try when the frontal lobe hasn't been fully formed yet. Same goes for sex. I plan to have open dialogue about sex with the Tiny Terror.

I don't plan on hiding the fact that I am a drinker. If she asks me to try it, I'll let her.

I would never provide alcohol for a party though. I don't want to be the house where kids who have more strict parents go in order to have alcohol. It's not my place to do that. I'll leave it to the other parents to decide when that happens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I wouldn't make alcohol a taboo for a teenager, however, I would focus on teaching restraint. Telling a teen they "can't" do something can often make them want it more or to try it and hide it. I'd rather have open dialogue and teach responsibility.

• Like Like x 1
  6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

21 seems like kind of a ridiculous place to draw the line to me. Here in Ontario it's 19 and I even think that's a bit high. 16 would be fine by me but 18 is probably more realistic in the current political climate.

I do think "I will/will not give my kid alcohol" is missing the point a little. I was probably 30 before my mom gave me alcohol but I'd had my fun with it by then. Teenagers getting their hands on booze of some kind isn't really a rare or difficult thing and if you're not the source they'll get it elsewhere.

That's not to say that you should just let them go wild though. The key here in my mind is education. That means teaching them what to do and what not to do, it means setting positive examples for them to follow, it means talking to them about it and helping them make good choices. I very much agree with ZS that it's similar to sex (or any other "adult" subject). You can't really expect to stop them from doing it so you owe it to them to make sure they're prepared for it. Whether or not you actually furnish it for them at that point almost seems irrelevant; though if you're going to acknowledge that they'll get it anyway I suppose there's no real reason not to be the one that provides it.

I haven't really thought about when it will be appropriate to give beer to my offspring. According to the internet it doesn't have a mouth yet so I think we'll have to wait for that at least.

• Like Like x 3
  7. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Obligatory "not a parent, but..." post:

I apparently took a drink of my grandpa's beer when I was tiny, but I don't remember anything about it, including the disciplinary aftermath. What I do remember is being around 12 or 13, and my stepdad told me I could try a sip of his beer. It was Milwaukee's Best, it tasted awful, and I didn't touch beer again until I was in my 20s. So maybe there's a lesson there.

My dad & stepmom have become a lot more relaxed about alcohol with the three youngest boys than they were with us older kids. As a result, I've drank at bonfires/get-togethers where my brothers were also drinking, and it was...weird (only one is 21.) Thinking about it, they might have been talked into hosting a party for me back then, but it would've taken a lot of sweet talking...and at the time my friends and I weren't really into drinking, anyway. My mom & stepdad? Nope, no way. I actually asked permission from my mom to get a beer at my wedding.

Looking back, I don't wish they'd let me drink, but I do kinda wish they'd talked a little more about it, in a less "just don't or you're a terrible person" kind of way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I'm getting to the time soon. My eldest starts high school/hits teenagerdom next year. The drinking age here is 18, but you'd be fooling yourself to think that some 15/16 yo aren't already drinking. I drink at home, in front of my children, but am careful not to get drunk in front of them. With respect to supplying - I don't think I'm likely to do so until they are of age.

9. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

When I was a kid, my mom would buy me alcohol. She wanted to know when I was drinking and with whom.

I didn't buy my son booze as the law in Singapore can be a lot more brutal than back in Canada. I will likely take the same approach with my daughter.

That said, I have no issue with giving my kids a drink of wine at the table.

10. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

It's probably an ethnic thing; but my Polish uncles have been slipping me beer for as long as I can remember. By the time I had a desire to buy my own (15ish), that was easy enough.

I let my daughters have beer around the house as soon as they were old enough to ask. I did not buy them beer specifically, but some weeks it was hard to get 2 bottles out of a six pack. I'd rather they learned to drink at home with family, than with their over-hormoned 17 yr old boyfriend.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Two disclaimers:

I'm a recovering alcoholic. The regulars here probably have read my blog posts and/or seen my posts in one of the more private sub-forums.

We don't have children.

----------------------------

I'm about to run an errand, but for now....

Within strict limits, I don't see a problem with teenagers being given small amounts of alcohol by their parent(s). I mean amounts that wouldn't come even close to giving the kid a buzz.

I was raised by "Bible Belt" parents who very rarely drank, and I've known very few parents who gave their underage kids alcohol.

One of my BILs & SILs let their kids drink fairly heavily at home; I'm talking pretty clearly buzzed. They operated under the "it's better to let them drink at home than out on the streets" thought. That's how they were raised. On one visit my nephew proudly rattled off the 12 drinks that he had had on his recent birthday while out celebrating with some friends. His parents laughed about it. The thing is it was his 14th birthday.

12. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I think 14 is way to young for parents to encourage drunkeness.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

In his case, he was either a teen aged alcoholic or a future alcoholic. The same BIL & SIL also laughed about the number of cell phones--at least two-- their legal-age daughter lost while shit-faced drunk. There is some family background that I won't post in this open sub-forum.

If we had kids, I sure as hell wouldn't be laughing about my 14YO bragging about drinking that heavily.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  14. roblincoln

roblincoln Vertical

I have kids from a first marriage - they're adults now, but I was careful to give them opportunities to sample alcohol under supervision, and with discretion. One has never had any interest after a couple of tastes, which is fine. The other has developed her taste palate and enjoys alcohol without overindulging, which is good. For her, it's like food in that she prefers quality over quantity. I think they successfully avoided the teen tendency to binge on forbidden things mostly because of their own maturity, but also to a certain extent, because of my willingness to discuss and permit experimentation. Without the mistique, it's just a thing.

• Like Like x 3