1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food All Things Pie

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Nov 29, 2013.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I typically use a rounded 3.14 measurements to make mine. :p

• Like Like x 1
  2. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

For enhanced baking accuracy...[​IMG]

3. hamsterball

The Cook's Country pecan pie kicked ass. The flavor is amazing!

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It's pie time.

Yesterday, I made some hand pies for lunches. I made half of the dough a little wetter than I normally would have in order to increase the structural integrity of the dough. The other half of the dough is fairly typical pie dough, and will be getting used in a pie today. It was the first time I'd used my food processor to make pie dough, as usually I use my stand mixer. I found the food processor to be faster, but I missed being able to see the incorporation the way I can in the stand mixer.

Since starting this thread, I have tried to grate my butter instead of cutting it up into small chunks, but it was not a method I liked. Additionally, I've taken to storing my butter in the freezer, period. That way, it's always ready for pie. I've also started making more all-butter crusts.

Had a funny conversation about pie yesterday. We had an apple pie contest in my book club a few weeks ago. I came in second overall and was awarded Most Original (which I'm still scratching my head over; by my husband's account, it was a fairly typical apple pie). My friend T asks a couple of us as we're driving home from book club if we were planning any other pies. Turns out my other friend, C, only makes apple pie. T was very disappointed, but I consoled him and said I had a couple of pies planned. I am apparently now expected to make T the butter pie whose recipe I posted in the Thanksgiving thread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I've been thinking about making mincemeat pie for Thanksgiving (sans suet, of course, which isn't kosher). I've never made mince pie before, but for some reason I have a yen for it. I heard a friend say she puts other dried fruits besides raisins or currants, which makes me think I'd like to try that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I wanted to do mince meat for Thanksgiving dinner but was told (rather rudely, I thought) by my kiddos that I would be the only one eating it so it would be a waste of time.
    Maybe a mini one?

7. Levite

"I shall call him...Mini-Mince."

• Like Like x 2
  8. hamsterball

My dear @snowy. Only you could make the act of baking a pie sound thoroughly hot. :D

I now have the most incredible urge for some pie......

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

Happy to oblige, good sir.
    --- merged: Nov 12, 2014 at 8:00 PM ---
    Oh, and it was nice to be cheered up like that, @hamsterball. My MIL plans on buying her Turkey Day pies from Costco...and then she wants to put pecans and meringue on top. I was like...I've never heard of that. I didn't say what I really thought, which is: THAT SOUNDS TERRIBLE. One, I don't like Costco's pie, and two, why add more crap on top of a meh pie?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  10. hamsterball

If I could cheer you up, my dear, then my day was a good one. From now on, I'll always have a special smile whenever I have some .....um....pie.

No disrespect intended toward your MIL, but....ewww. You must bring the poor dear gently toward the light.

Actually I've never had a Costco pie, but nothing beats homemade.

11. snowy

We've already decided we're going to take a pecan pie as an alternate, regardless of the fact that my MIL said I was not to bring a pie.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hamsterball

Pecan is one of my favorites. Excellent choice!

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

She's on a diet (again) so she doesn't want too much dessert...but at the same time, why should the only options be bread pudding and Costco pumpkin pie? Not everyone is on a diet.

14. hamsterball

I can understand not wanting too much, but it seems like quantity and quality are being confused a bit. If anyone can bring her around, I'm sure it's you.

By the way, I spent my entire day at work fantasizing about....pie. Damn you @snowy!!!!

;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. snowy

You're thinking that my MIL has the ability to read social cues. You would be wrong.

16. Levite

Ugh, my MIL consistently gets Costco pumpkin and Apple pies, and asks me not to make pie, or says, "I thought people would like choices...." Despite the fact that I make very decent pie-- certainly better than Costco. I smile through it every year, but I am really like, "Bitch, fuck you and your lousy-ass big-box store subpar industrial bakery passive-aggressive pie!"

• Like Like x 1
  17. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

I really like chocolate pecan pie. I wished I had my own kitchen to bake this Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
  18. snowy

I sooooo feel you. She really doesn't get it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. hamsterball

Don't worry, you will have one soon, my friend!

Dear @snowy has completely changed the way I think about pie. Now, it's all I think about, and no matter how much I get, I still want more pie!!!

Excuse me, I think I need to grab a cold shower.....

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

We usually do homemade pies with fresh fruit/berries because not only do they taste better, we get to control how much processed sugar is added. The apple pie recipe we use has only cup of added sugar.

I did find a filling at the grocery store that is really good, Private Selctions Oregon Triple Berry Fruit Filling (Oregon red raspberries, strawberries, & Marion blackberries). I was looking at some "fancy" jams at the grocery store, but didn't like the prices. On the baking aisle we happened to stop in front of the pie fillings, and I decided to give it a try.

• Like Like x 1