1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food All Things Pie

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Nov 29, 2013.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Were you at a Kroger, by chance?

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Yep. Around here Private Selection = Kroger.

I like the filling on toast. It has a nice tangy bite, and has much less sugar than jams. In fact I'm going enjoy some on toast in a few minures.

Edit--The cost per ounce for the filling is cheaper than that of the fancy jams, even the Kroger Private Selction brand.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  3. snowy

Bought some pie weights today. May make pie just to use them. The question is--what kind of pie?
    --- merged: Nov 14, 2014 at 6:26 PM ---
    I knew it. Private Selection was Fred Meyer's (Kroger subsidiary) house brand first. It's just so awesome Kroger rolled it out everywhere else. ;) I forgot to look for it at Freddys when I was there earlier today.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
  5. Chris Noyb

I'd never heard of pie weights, had to ask my wife & Google them.

Google

6. hamsterball

Pie weights are great for blind baking pie crusts. Some people use dried beans instead of pie weights and they'll work as well.

7. snowy

I didn't want to waste beans again. They work, but they smell weird afterwards, and the pie weights were only $6 at the local kitchenware shop. I consider it money well-spent.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris Noyb

Anybody here cook steak & kidney pie? My wife does, & they taste fantastic. I thinks it's a British thing.

9. snowy

It is, and no, I don't. Our savory pies are vegetarian for obvious reasons. My favorite is Japanese curry in a pot pie.

• Like Like x 1
  10. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Up here we make a variation on that involves caribou steaks and kidneys, very tasty.

11. hamsterball

Indeed. I use ceramic pie weight, too, and they're a very useful to to have on hand.

12. snowy

Not pie, technically, but heavily inspired by pie. I made some shortbread, put it into a square Pyrex so there was a bit of a lip, blind baked it, then made up some butter pie filling, and put that with some pecans into the shortbread shell. Sooo good.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

Wy wife is going to make a blackberry & apple pie, or a cobbler, for dessert.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Maybe after Thanksgiving, if we have enough leftover turkey, I'll make a turkey pie. I haven't made one of those in a long time....

• Like Like x 1
  15. snowy

16. Levite

17. snowy

The only thing that doesn't really appeal to me is the inclusion of molasses in the caramel sauce. I'll have to try it before I knock it, though.

18. Levite

That didn't faze me. But I don't like cooking fruit before I put it into a pie. I like to use raw fruit, so that when the pie is finished, the fruit still has some integrity and texture to it. With apples, I just peel them and slice them comparatively thinly, and toss them with spices, sugar, a little flour and a little rum, and put them right into the blind-baked pie shell, dot with a little butter, and call it a day.

But I like this recipe's suggestion to make beurre manie instead of tossing the apples with flour and dotting with butter. I will totally adopt that idea next pie I make, regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  19. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Hubby made pumpkin pie. 2 pies. One for us and one for work. All from one sugar pumpkin! It is delicious. I have been eating it for breakfasts.

• Like Like x 1
  20. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Pumpkin pie makes the perfect breakfast.,

• Like Like x 1