1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food All Things Pie

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Nov 29, 2013.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yesterday, for Pi day, I made a pie filled with Japanese-style curry using my favorite Vermont Curry . I sub in cauliflower for potatoes in my curry, and I added a sweet potato in addition to the usual carrot, celery, and onion. I also made a blueberry pie for the first time using frozen berries. While both turned out just fine, I still learned some things. I know from prior experience to be patient and let pies cool, otherwise the filling will run out, but sometimes people are impatient.

1) When making a blueberry pie using frozen blueberries, mix up the sugar and cornstarch separately to ensure there are no lumps in the cornstarch. Most recipes also call for lemon juice. Add this AFTER you have tossed the sugar mixture and very frozen berries together--otherwise you will end up with parts of the pie filling thicker than others. It wasn't particularly noticeable in the final product, but I noticed, and that's what matter.
    2) Never forget to check the bottom of the pie plate to see if the crust is indeed done.
    3) Investing in a pie shield is totally worth the $5.
    4) I'm never making pie dough in my food processor again. While the crust ultimately turned out fine, it was wetter than I usually like and somewhat difficult to work with; I attribute this to not being able to see the dough as well as I can when using the stand mixer.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Already thinking that after Passover is done, I might make a plum and tart cherry crostata.... Haven't made pie in a while.

• Like Like x 1