1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Amazing Animated Shorts

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Jetée, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Simple premise: post (or pray tell) your favourite animated short, and why.

- - -

Ёжик в тумане : Hedgehog in the Fog
    Directed by Yuriy Norshteyn
    Written by Sergei Kozlov
    Produced by Soyuzmultfilm
    Music composed by Mikhail Meyerovich
    Released on October 23, 1975
    Distributed within the Союз Советских Социалистических Республик (USSR)

A story about the friendship betwixt a hedgehog and a bear, and the night-out picnic they decided to have together, eating treats, drinking tea, and counting the stars in the sky. On his way to meet his friend, Hedgehog is followed by a kooky yet sinister-looking Owl, but continues onward, until he spots at an instant a beautiful white horse enveloped in a creeping fog (and wonders to himself if the horse were to lay down at the moment, would it drown?).
    The hedgehog decides to explore the fog for himself.

[thedailywh.at]

2. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

The Boundaries of Life and Death by Saskia Kretzschmann (Germany)

The Boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague.
    Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

—Edgar Allan Poe​

[exp.lore]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Ghosts(s)
    Directed by CRCR
    Music by LORN (Marcos Ortega)
    Produced by QUAD & Sonlan Tran
    Distributed by Ninja Tunes

[T]he video demonstrates of the passage from life to death, from a presence to an absence.
    Various stages are linked together and constituted the transformation of an alive body into an abstract entity.
    ”​

[cartoonbrew.]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  4. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Internet Story
    Written and Directed by Adam Butcher
    Animation by Jonathan Harris
    Sound and Music Composition by Blair Mowat
    Produced by Ed Moline
    Released internationally (internetically) in 2010, 2011
    Web Design by Charlie Gentle

“A series of shocking events unfolds when a young man creates a public treasure
    hunt for his own amusement and a video blogger decides to pursue the riddles across country.”​

5. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Description:
    Coldplay's haunting classic 'The Scientist' is performed by country music legend Willie Nelson for the soundtrack of the short film entitled, "Back to the Start."

& Details:
    After weeks of intense judging by a star jury panel chaired by Funny or Die’s Chris Bruss, One Show Entertainment 2012 announced a total of 19 Gold, 22 Silver and 27 Bronze Pencil winners for the year’s best in branded entertainment from across the globe. “Best of Show” honors went to CAA for the remarkable short film Back to the Start and soundtrack, both commissioned by its client Chipotle to promote sustainable agriculture, family farming and culinary education.

Back to the Start, from filmmaker Johnny Keller, depicts the life of a farmer as he slowly turns his family farm into an industrial animal factory before seeing the errors of his ways and opting for a more sustainable future.

Read more...

6. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

The Sailor and the Seagull
    Released in 1949
    Produced by UPA
    Commissioned by the USNavy (Re-enlistment Office of Training Affairs)

The Sailor and the Seagull is a fascinating little film.
    The lead character, “McGinty”, is a cross between the Navy’s Mr. Hook and UPA’s future character Pete Hothead.
    He is voiced by John T. Smith. Daws Butler is the Seagull, an classic old-school wise guy.
    It’s a pretty traditional looking picture until about 3:20 when an Arabian Nights fantasy
    sequence (predating the Magoo feature by ten years) turns it briefly into a stylized feast of scantily clad ladies and drunken debauchery!

There are no production credits, but I think its safe to assume that the direction is by John Hubley,
    the girl animation is by Pat Matthews and the music composed by Del Castillo. I welcome educated
    guesses as to who might have animated what – or any corrections to the above.

[cartoonbrew.]

7. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

channels
    Animated by Graham Annable
    Released on February 25, 2010

Depending on your package, channels may vary. {@ 73 seconds past initial run!}

[drawn.]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  8. flat5

flat5 Vertical

Hello Jetée, I know this is one of your hobbies so perhaps you know.
    I have been searching for years for some Canadian Film Board cartoons I saw on BBC TV in the 1980s when they often used them for filler.
    One had a boy on a pogo stick making increasingly larger jumps until he jumped over continents and probably ended up where he started. It had great drawings in terms of perspective.

Another told an animated story by using quilts! Another by using sand.

I have not found these cartoons by using Google or by visiting the CFB website.
    Knowing the titles could only help.

9. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

I shall do my best to locate as many of the short films that you outlined, flat5 (you recalled three diffrent ones below, no?).

An extension: do you believe that all of the short films were animated (and are you fairly ceratin they were all distributed by the NFBC)? I am currently applying a filter to the nfb.ca site to look for for fimls produced in-between the span of years starting in 1968, up until 1988, to see if I can filter out a match.

I may have already found 1 of the 3 (you tell me).
    - - - - -

Le château de sable (The Sand Castle)
    Written & Animated by Co Hoedeman
    Produced by Gaston Sarault & Pierre Moretti
    Music composed by Normand Roger
    Released on June 1, 1977
    Distributed by the National Film Board of Canada

ALTERNATIVE VIEWING AVAILABLE on DailyMotion

Enjoy Co Hoedeman's short animated film about the sandman and the creatures he sculpts out of sand.
    They build a castle and celebrate the completion of their new home, only to be interrupted by an uninvited guest.
    Cleverly constructed, the film leaves interpretation open to the viewer.
    The 1977 Oscar®-winner for Best Animated Short Film.

10. flat5

flat5 Vertical

Thank you, Jetée, for your quick response and effort. It's been so long ago that I don't know if it is the same cartoon.
    I just can not remember any details. Only that it impressed me.

I am reasonably sure (what does that mean?) that all the filler cartoons were NFB releases.

They are worth searching for. I searched for over an hour for the pogo stick one on two occasions but you may be better at searching for cartoons.