1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Americans want Reagan right now. Poll....

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Eddie, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Eddie Getting Tilted

I know this poll is sort of stating the obvious, but more Americans wish Reagan were in office right now than any other president:
    http://news.yahoo.com/poll-economy-fix-americans-pick-reagan-over-roosevelt-164905667.html

This poll shows that more Americans believe Reagan to be the greatest president in the history of the U.S.:
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/146183/americans-say-reagan-greatest-president.aspx

So it's time for our politicians to take note and realize that, in the words of the great Ronald Reagan,
    “Government is not a solution to our problem government is the problem.”

Some other pertinent quotes:

Government always finds a need for whatever money it gets.- Reagan

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them. - Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. -Reagan

2. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

You mean Americans want their distorted, rose-colored glasses mythological version of Reagan in the White House

• Like Like x 3
  3. Eddie Getting Tilted

Ask the people who voted in the polls.

4. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

But you don't trust polls, Eddie. Remember?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

So the American people want their taxes raised 11 times? Want another Iran/Contra affair? Want the US to supply guns/training to terrorists?

6. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

No, they obviously want Max Headroom back on the air!

I don't see much point to the poll. It seems to me to be self-predicting. People were either going to vote for Reagan or Roosevelt. It was framed as an economics question, and since the majority of responders lived through the Reagan era, it seems obvious that they'd go with who they know. That William Henry Harrison got ANY votes shows how pointless the whole thing is.

As for your second claim, Eddie, the poll does NOT show that Americans think Reagan was the greatest President, simply that they would chose him to fix the financial crisis over other dead Presidents.

It also shows how stupid most Americans are, since they don't know who Marco Rubio is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

In light of the Fast and the Furious program, I think people might be longing for a president who really knows what he's doing when it comes to selling weapons to amoral people to facilitate the killing of civilians. Clearly Reagan has Obama beat here.

8. Eddie Getting Tilted

9. redux

redux Very Tilted

There are numerous polls on the ranking of presidents.

Most have the top five as Lincoln, FDR, Washington, Jefferson, T. Roosevelt.

I'm surprised to see Clinton in the top five of the Gallup poll or Obama as number eight, simply reflecting familiarity.

What I'm not surprised is that Eddie apparently does not want to address the polls that show the majority of Americans want the top taxpayers to pay more, or to address the debt with both spending cuts and tax increases (on the top) or to regulate banking/financial services. You know, those important issues of the day.

10. Eddie Getting Tilted

And Reagan. But I would expect that sort of purposeful omission around here without supporting it with actual links to polls.

11. redux

redux Very Tilted

C-Span poll - Lincoln, Washington, T.Roosevelt, FDR, Jefferson
    ABC poll - Lincoln, JFK, FDR, No opinion, Reagan
    Washington College poll - Lincoln, Reagan, FDR, Kennedy Clinton
    Rasmussen poll - Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, T. Roosevelt, FDR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States#Popular_opinion

I could find more, but whats the point, really?

I'm more interested in what Americans want on the important issues of the day on which, according to most polls, you are on the wrong side, my friend.

12. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

...and bailouts....don't forget the S&L bailouts....

These were some of my thoughts as well. They put the wrong "Bill" on the poll. The one I'm thinking of served two terms; the one they went with didn't even serve two months.

Over four other dead presidents, two of which were completely ignorant of 20th century economics (they both didn't live past the Industrial Revolution for fuck's sake).

13. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

That's change we can be... be be be be believe in.

I'd kinda like to see how Teddy Roosevelt would respond to 2011 American politics.

14. Baraka_Guru

Here is some more context, brought to you by Paul Krugman:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/11/opinion/an-economic-legend.html?src=pm

So basically: Keynesian economics was right, Reaganomics was wrong, and Reagan benefited from having his presidency land smack dab at the end of an economic plunge, where the only likely place to go was up.

Perhaps Americans don't want Reagan per se, but rather economic expansion. You can't really blame them for that.

15. Eddie Getting Tilted

So you claim that most polls don't have Reagan in the top 5 yet two of the three polls you post have him in the top 5. lol. And the c-Span poll has Reagan at 10. So, let's stop ignoring the facts, shall we? Americans think Reagan is pretty friggin' great. And my first poll shows they wish he was in right now to fix this damn country.

16. the_jazz

No, he claimed that the polls didn't show Reagan as #1. He's right. He's in the top 5 of 3 of 5 - with Presidents who are not Ronald Reagan polling #1 in all 5. Using my math-fu, that puts him at within the top 10% of Presidents according to 2011 Americans. Yes, they think he was pretty good. Great? Jury's still out on that. In the C-Span poll, he only cracks the top 20% and no higher. You didn't exactly help your argument by pointing that out.

As for your first poll, so what? He's dead. They can't have him back. There was a statistically significant group of that poll (the margin of error being 0.5%) that voted for a guy that held office for ONE MONTH. As I said before, it's a meaningless poll unless you want to pump up Reagan as a great President. I won't agrue against that, but I will say that FDR and Kennedy both routinely poll higher in "great President" polls. As redux has already pointed out.

17. Baraka_Guru

Let's also not forget the disparity between what Americans think and what Americans know and what Americans think they know.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Eddie Getting Tilted

Wrong. Here's his quote "Most have the top five as Lincoln, FDR, Washington, Jefferson, T. Roosevelt." And then he went on to disprove himself by posting 3 polls, 2 of which had Reagan in the top 5. No surprise that you're jumping in to defend him without getting your facts straight, jazz.

19. the_jazz

My bad. I thought he quoted 5 polls, not 4. So YOU claiming that he only quoted 2 means that YOU'RE wrong. Going to admit that? I admitted that I was wrong - let's see the mea culpa, Eddie.

So in half the polls, Reagan wasn't listed. And he's exactly correct. The most named Presidents are Lincoln (4), FDR (4), Kennedy (3), Washington (2), Jefferson (2), TR (2) and Reagan (2). We'll ignore the two outliers.

20. Eddie Getting Tilted

Oh my lord. I said he posted 3. Are you just making this shit up as you go? Please read my posts before you comment on them.
    --- merged: Nov 1, 2011 9:21 PM ---