1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Americans want Reagan right now. Poll....

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Eddie, Nov 1, 2011.

1. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Eddie, you're failing preschool math. There are four polls, not three. I even quoted redux to show you where we BOTH made mistakes. I'm man enough to admit when I make one. I already did. I miscounted too by overcounting. Are you seriously going to insist that there are only 3 polls when anyone with four fingers can see for themselves that you're wrong?

2. Eddie Getting Tilted

-+-{Important TFP Staff Message}-+-
    WARNING: Please refrain from responding with troll links, videos, or images. Either you contribute to the discussion in a meaningful way or you press the back button and come back later. - cynthetiq

3. the_jazz

Eddie 's math challenges aside, it's interesting that Reagan, JFK and Clinton all appear on a WORST President poll.

4. Eddie Getting Tilted

Haters gonna hate.

5. the_jazz

I see that you're incapable of having a mature discussion and admitting when you make a simple mistake. I even tried to make it easier for you.

What's really sad is that you're bordering on trolling your own thread, which means that I'm just going to start deleting your off-topic responses until you can man up and admit that - oops - there were actually 4 polls quoted, not the 3 that you want there to be. But go ahead and rage against the sea, Eddie. You're just hurting yourself here.

6. Eddie Getting Tilted

I think this Reagan quote best sums up why people wish for Reagan so much:
    “Government is not a solution to our problem government is the problem.”

People are frustrated that they elect politicians who do nothing but make matters worse. Reagan was humble. He was willing to admit that government, more often than not, is the problem. And if you look at our nation's current economic predicament, it's a perfect example of what Reagan was talking about.

7. the_jazz

FTFY

8. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

9. redux

redux Very Tilted

Judge him by what he did -- increased the size of the federal government and the biggest deficit spender in history -- not by what he said.

He also significantly increased the Earned Income Tax Credit, calling it "the best anti-poverty, the best pro-family, the best job creation measure to come out of Congress." Today, those who benefit from the EITC are demeaned by conservatives as zero liability voters and the Tea Party crowd wants a flat tax and an end to Reagan's best anti-poverty, pro-family, job creation program.

As Lou Cannon, Reagan biographer, recently said, "He was no Tea Partier."

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eddie Getting Tilted

Winning the cold war and freeing more people from tyranny than any other political figure in modern history. Yes, Reagan was a great man and the greatest President in history.

11. redux

redux Very Tilted

Yep...his invasion of Grenada saved us from the "non-white" folks in the Caribbean. His funding of the contras to oppose freedom fighters in Nicaragua and his supplying arms to Saddam Hussein were great legacies to freedom lovers everywhere.

12. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

more reality-optional bullshit from conservativeland. i don't suppose you know anything about the actual history of the ussr and how it imploded do you? i don't know why i am bothering to ask---if you knew anything, at all, you wouldn't be able to repeat that mythological reagan story without laughing.

13. the_jazz

Not that you're alone - the vast majority of Americans believe it - but the US didn't so much win the Cold War as the Soviets lost it. The stagnation of the Brezhnev era did more to harm the Soviet economy and technology programs than anything that the US did. The Soviets were already teatering on the brink under Brezhnev when Reagan came to office, which is why Andropov was elected General Secretary - the Politburo recognized that things had to change, and Andropov had the clout as the head of the KGB to affect that change. Reagan may have presided over the beginning of the end, but he no more caused its end than Truman dismantled the British Empire or McKinley freed Cuba.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Obama got Osama.

Oh, wait: "It's the economy, stupid" --William Henry Harrison

And: "Let's honor Mr. Reagan for his real achievements, not dishonor him -- and mislead the nation -- with false claims about his economic record." --Paul Krugman

15. Eddie Getting Tilted

16. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

So Reagan, as the biggest cog of the government was, by his logic, the biggest problem.

I love career politicians who claim the government is broken. GUESS WHOSE FAULT THAT MIGHT BE, GENIUSES?

• Like Like x 1
  17. redux

redux Very Tilted

18. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

19. Eddie Getting Tilted

People will spin their wheels trying to discount and discredit Reagan's cold war victory but more importantly is why American's wish Reagan were president now. I think the best presidential candidate will be the one who strives to emulate Reagan's character and goals for this nation. jmho.

20. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

again, they might try to emulate the Conservative Myth version of Reagan, but no one would actually want a candidate to do what Reagan did