1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Andy Griffith-RIP

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Tully Mars, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Beloved actor Andy Griffith died this morning. He was 86, appears he died in his sleep at home in Georgia.

Always liked his folksy characters. My father was a big fan of his gospel music.

2. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Wow, he was a guy that I always liked. Always classy, always approachable. I met him in Atlanta once during his Matlock days, and he was extremely gracious and pleasant to a grubby 20-something that happened to be in the same restaurant.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I saw him play a sadistic murder in a show (made for TV movie?) and it really shocked me to see him in the villain role. I really can't remember much other then ending... him sitting in the electric chair with a shaved head and evil smile on his face. I was pretty young when I saw it and couldn't enjoy the Andy Griffith Show reruns for months after that.

In some ways he reminded me of my father. They didn't look a like but somehow shared the same hair. I'll still watch an old Matlock from time to time when I see them on.

4. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Damn, this is very sad news indeed. I can't say I've seen every bit of his work, but I feel like I have.
    He's one of those actors that just feels like one of the family. Always been around, could be counted on, and brings a smile to your face when you see them.
    Now Barn and Anje can be together again protecting Mayberry from hardened window crashers and drunken moonshine users.

R.I.P., Andy.

5. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

• Like Like x 1
  6. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Rip andy. He will be missed.

7. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Always liked the way outsiders would assume he was less bright because of the way he spoke, then he'd turn out to be the smartest one in the room. Always think of him & Opie walking along with their fishin' poles.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks Andy.

RIP

9. I must say, I love me some Matlock and Andy Griffith. I watched Andy Griffith mostly with my dad and then Matlock with my mom. Andy attributed to many happy childhood memories.

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

You know he passed away at 0730 and they had him buried by noon? I guess that was his wish, not sure I understand it but if he wanted it that way I'm happy they complied. I've known many people over the years who've requested "no service" only to have some brother, sister, parent, child someone decide "forget that" and have a service anyway. Always pisses me off.

I'm not religious, he was... I really, really hope he was right.

11. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i never really cared much about mayberry r.i.p. i grew up in a suffocating little town and never got much from watching another one when i was a kid and it was on. but about andy griffith--check out a face in the crowd from 1957. a great movie and still an important window onto how american neo-fascism works, what it comes out of, what interests it serves. and andy griffith was great in it.

i wonder about this from time to time. actors like fred macmurray, who was great in the caine mutiny and even better in double indemnity, ending up famous for being the dad in my three sons--what did they think of how things turned out? maybe they saw the whole game, took the bank and had a lovely life because of it, reaching the point of seeing how things operate and figuring it's better to get over than not.

that said, it's good that andy griffith had a long run and went out, seemingly, on his own terms. that's too rare a thing, it seems.

12. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

I grew up watching Matlock and Andy Griffith with my mom - one of the few shows we were allowed to watch. RIP.

13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Man I just watch A Face in the Crowd again a few years back, forgot Andy was in it. Awesome flick.

14. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Really liked his gentle demeanor. Many good memories over the years.

15. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

He will be missed, but always able to be seen in reruns...

16. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Celebs and notables are dropping like flies this year.

RIP Andy

17. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

RIP Andy. I enjoyed a few of his reruns in my time. And I actually was surprised how much I enjoyed his early stand-up routines. He was a good guy.

I presume somewhere, someone is whistling a dirge in his honor.

18. redux

redux Very Tilted

The stand-up routine that made his name was "What It Was, Was Football" relating the experience of a backwoods country preacher's first experience at a college football game.

• Like Like x 1
  19. felski

felski New Member

One of my favorite shows, watching the b/w reruns of AG Show. He seemed homespun, but he always had a word of wisdom and kindess for Opie, respect for Aunt Bea, and a way of remaining calm as the straight man to Barney. I don't know if his character on the show reflected his real-life character, but he seemed like a very genuine person, worth emulating.

20. shanifaye

shanifaye Dominissive

(he died in NC not GA) I cant believe no one else has mentioned No Time for Sergeants, which to ME was one of his best things. (though my mother did play his stand up stuff when I was a kid)