1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Any other flashlight addicts here?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Shagg, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ive got one of these Led Lenser P7

[​IMG]

oh, and i also bought this today for my 45km/90km run for tomorrow

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

I left my Surefire E2DL at home, so I bought a EB1 while I'm stationed away:

[​IMG]

Really like it so far. Fits much better than the larger E2DL.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

How is the fit better for you? I'm kinda stuck between the two right now.

4. KirStang

EB1 fits much better for EDC. The ED2L is much longer and scratches shit up, as well as wears through clothes. I would rather wear the E2DL in holster. Moreover E2D's rear-facing clip only allows it to be carried bezel up. Much easier to drop than the EB1's forward facing clip.

• Like Like x 1
  5. master

master New Member

Thank you for your replies, guys:)

6. master

master New Member

And what price of EB1?

7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I own the T7 Lenser. It's my everyday walk around light. At 100 lumen on high it provides decent light up to I'd guess 4-500ft. The mutli switch on mines broke so I can't use it on low. I have yet to resolve the carry issues like 9'er. I carry it in the second pocket on my cargo shorts secured only with the Velcro flap. Decent clips and and accessories are a problem here in Mexico and I'm always forgetting to pick up stuff like that on trips north. My carry around knife is a Gerber Gator. Doesn't come with a clip but I manged to remember to pick up an after market one that with a little modification is workable. The same clip could be modified to work with this light as well, just need to remember to buy one.

I also own a "Torch." Thing cost $175 and is basically worthless after 3-4 minutes. It'll blind the shit out of a would be a attacker during that first burst but unless you're wearing welding goggles you too will have trouble seeing well. The maker claims it'l cook hot dogs and roast marshmallows and it probably will, I know it'll start newspaper on fire. But I doubt you have batt. time to cook a decent hot dog.

8. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Strange, until I saw this topic, I couldn't envision myself getting hooked on flashlights. I now realize that I could very easily. There is probably something psychologically significant to the way they feel in my hand and the fact that I am in control of THE LIGHT.

Penis envy or God complex? I'm undecided.

• Like Like x 2
  9. KirStang

$150.

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

For years I carried a standard 4-D Mag-lite at work. Where to carry it, how to hold it and where to point it that's about a day or so the academy right there. Using it as a defensive and offensive weapon where's another day. Then somewhere in the 90's companies started coming out with these small powerful (powerful for the time) LED lights and tactic changed. The light was still a weapon but more for things like pressure points on hands but nothing like the old large Mag-lite/club. As companies packed more and more lumens into smaller and smaller lights the light beam itself became a weapon. Which was always part of the appeal of the old mag-lites, but nothing like the LED lights they're making today. You get a face full of 150 lumen or so and it'll disorient the hell out of you. The old Mags might make you squint a little.

When I first moved down here I went through several judo and taekwondo studios or "dojos" mainly looking for one with a sifu who spoke decent English. After months of searching I found one I liked and not only does the sifu speaks English he's very well qualified plus offers extensive training courses much like mini boot camps. You know the kind of course where you pay good money to have someone yell "you too slow, faster!" at you while you carry large rocks up and down Maya ruins. He doesn't look it but he's quick and he's dangerous. On my best day in a competition I'd give myself about 8 maybe 10 seconds going against him. In a street fight? Half that. He's 65+/- and he loves to take down young kids (20-30 yr olds) when they gets too full of themselves. He always tells them the same thing- "now I own you." One day I was taking stuff out of my pockets and he looked on at each with a little nod- keys, knife, wallet, small bundle of 550 cord, couple zip ties etc... When my LED light came out he pick it up and asked "why do you carry this?" I told him you never know when it might be helpful. He picked it up and pressed it on the back of his hand in several points and then held it like a roll of quarters and hit his other hand then kind of shrugged. I pick it up and and quickly raised it over my head in motion like I might take a stab at him with it. Naturally he looked up. I pressed the button on the bottom turning it on and his eyes and pupils became huge in an instant. I did a quick leg sweep, got him in a really nice choke hold and whispered "now I own you." I'd bet a ton of money It'd never work on him again but it was funny at the time. I would rub it in a little every now and then but that old man's kicked my ass way too many times now to try and one up him at this point.

• Like Like x 3
  11. KirStang

It's interesting you mention maglites--my buddy who's a cop prefers the maglite to the surefire, primarily for its' secondary use as a baton.

12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

And this is exactly why I would like one to keep in my car.

13. omega

omega Very Tilted

I have a 3 d cell led maglite for patrolling. I also carry a pen sized $27 streamlight in my pocket. Its good to clip onto my epaulet on crashes at night so I can fill out paperwork, read drivers statements. Its also good for those rare braindead moments where you start to make your initial approach to a car and you realize you forgot your damn flashlight.

14. master

master New Member

it's so expensive light. I'd like cheaper one:)

EDC lights usually cost 10-40 bucks, not more. The price $150 killed me!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  15. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

I've been running a fenix pd22 for the last year or so but I might make the jump to the Surefire EB1 because I want something with ONLY a "tactical" momentary-on button. I have a Surefire 6px on my rifle and I like it, however I'm not sure how Surefire is justifying the $150 price of the EB1 backup. All it is a G2x with part of the end cut off and a pocket clip added. A G2x costs about $60 so are they charging an extra $90 for the pocketclip addition?

On a side note, on the first page of this thread in 2012 I mention I bought my gf a 4sevens preon. This year she was in class at her college in a large lecture room in a BASEMENT and the power went out. The only light was coming from the little emergency exit signs. Once again everyone else was trying to use their cell phones as flashlights while she got out her preon and lit up pretty much the entire room. She said the teacher and TA's were impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. KirStang

You could pair a G2 with a Raven Concealment Light Clip for a great EDC light:

Surefire Pocket Clip

I wanted a EB1 since it was small (uses only 1 CR123 instead of 2), and had no crenelations/teeth. I get in to court w/ my flashlight no problem.

Also keep in mind, the G2 series are polymer, and the EB series are all aluminum. That's probably the extent of the differences.

17. omega

omega Very Tilted

So I recently picked up the Duracell durabeam from costco. Claims a thousand lumens. I dont know about that, but it's pretty dam bright. It has a bit of heft and length, which I like for my job. It also has an adjustable beam width. The nice thing is the flood is consistently illuminated. There are no dark spots or shadows in the beam. So it's good for flooding an area with light and looking at skid marks at night. And it was only $20 with batteries included.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

But but... if an LED flashlight costs less than $100 then obviously it isn't tacti-cool and therefore should never be used !!!! :D

19. omega

omega Very Tilted

I wear light brown pants that are called french pink, and a blue shirt. My uniforms are made of wool. My belt is glossy leather with real brass. And I wear a campaign cover. Pretty sure I don't qualify as tacticool. But chicks still dig it.

20. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Ive never considered the sort of thing I might collect - but I have one in my tool box and one under the kitchen sink. I couldnt tell you what make, or what a lumen in. I doubt either of mine are very good.