1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone following the Anon v. Steubenville, Ohio HS rapist story making it's way around today?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Sometimes, I am ashamed to be human.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The Internet is going apeshit on some major media outlets for their coverage on the outcome.

I haven't investigated the issue yet, but it's pretty damning.

[​IMG]

3. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I just heard that Fox News released her name, as well.

Jeez.

4. Baraka_Guru

Outfuckingrageous.

5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

6. Baraka_Guru

7. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

[​IMG]
    --- merged: Mar 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM ---
    Public Shaming - Page 1 of 13
    --- merged: Mar 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM ---
    Really, I am not that surprised to hear the backlash. All of my life I have listened to both men and women denigrate women for behavior characterized as 'slutty.' Hell, I was even the target of the that kind of talk when I was a teenager. It is chronic and still runs rampant among young people to this day.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

For once I don't think my post should be controversial, but I'll get this out of the way first: As far as I'm concerned the entire concept of victim-blaming is incredibly personally offensive to me as a guy, and it should be to ALL men, because when you blame the victim of a rape what you're saying is that men are rapists by default and just can't control themselves unless women go out of their way to stop us from raping them. It's the only possible logical interpretation of victim blaming. There aren't magic rape-rays that tear people's pants off and yank them across the room dick first as soon as a girl passes out.

That being said, as abhorrent as rape is I've studied sex offender registration I did my thesis on the subject and I cannot reconcile it with the standards of justice and law we claim to support, or any find a shred of evidence that as a system we're doing anything but fueling recidivism. It's flat out counterproductive on literally every level. We should either give them the death penalty or life imprisonment and be done with it.

Even if you're completely fine with that from a moral standpoint, from a practical one no rational person should support sex offender registration as it is now. When you create a sub-human class of people who can never work, never reintegrate into society, and do everything in your power to ostracise them to the point that they wind up being "stored" in a sex offender ghetto in the middle of nowhere all you're doing is taking away every reason these people would ever have NOT to reoffend.

The way our legal system handles sexual offenses is utterly broken and whatever we do we need to do it soon because right now we're making it worse.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I concur with your logic, Shadowex, but the justice system isn't really about justice. How we deal with rapists is similar to how we deal with murderers: We can't just kill them (shut up, Texas), so we have to do something to them that society can feel good about. We have to Think of the Children. We talk about what causes it, throw up all sorts of legal jargon and psychological mumbo-jumbo... but in the end we basically come up with something equally barbaric because it makes the public feel better about what essentially amounts to (in this case) normal people deciding to commit a heinous, unforgivable crime. Is it productive, our solution? Making people feel better rarely is. See gun control laws for a prime example of that horsecrap in action.

Obviously it is easier to have a normal life after murdering someone but you get the idea... some things don't just wash off over time.

Whatever we do to make these rapists into tax-paying citizens won't be enough for the victims, won't be enough for society.

I'll save everybody my lengthy "Fuck Forgiveness" tirade.

/has no clue what he's talking about

• Like Like x 1
  10. cynthetiq

This is why I kept my dick in my pants during my heavy drinking days. I'm responsible for my actions.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I understand all this and I agree to an extent, but one also has to take into account that sex crimes (of all types) have some of the highest rates of recidivism.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Certainly. It has the highest rate of recidivism aside from drug-related crimes, IIRC. It's a large part of the reason why it's so hard for society to deal with rapists in a "humane" fashion. Not only is the crime abhorrent, but it's likely to happen again.

Anyway, yeah, I realize I'm making a shitty seat-of-pants comparison here, but I wanted it to be made clearly that things like the sex offender registry, the death penalty as it currently stands and Hallmark cards all have a lot in common.

/quick, I better say something retarded so we stop agreeing on something political

KirStang, thoughts?

13. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Therefore, there is some legitimacy to the idea that if a rapist or a pedophile moves next door to you, you have a right to know about it.
    Granted, people usually don't know how to handle this sort of information and tend to use it to parade around their own aggression and sense of superiority, rather than simply use it to keep themselves and their loved ones safe.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Ugh, I'll comment on this later. Gym is calling.

15. cynthetiq

there are some fucked up humans.... and there are some good humans. this is a good one.

I Am The Blogger Who Allegedly “Complicated” The Steubenville Gang Rape Case -- And I Wouldn't Change a Thing | xoJane

• Like Like x 3
  16. Proving once again parenting is a lost art. Moral upbringing? Not in that town and sadly not in many towns.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

...but their football careers!

Football > Rape​

Get your priorities straight, America.

...​

No, seriously... football makes lots of money and people love watching it. Rape, however, doesn't really do anything for anybody, sometimes not even the rapist.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  18. Baraka_Guru

I don't actually see it that way. I see it merely as shifting the responsibility, either in part or in whole, from the perpetrator to the victim. That's all.

Blaming a victim of rape doesn't imply all men are rapists any more than it implies that all women are rapists too (consider lesbian relationships). It suggests that the victim did something to encourage or otherwise help the perpetrator's decisions and actions. It's about the incident itself, not some implication applied to all beings.

This is why I'm not personally offended by victim blaming. Instead, I'm incredibly incensed that people would shift the blame/responsibility/reasons for such a horrific crime onto the person who was targeted with it.

Consider this: Victim blaming I'm sure also happens in cases of assault, murder, or robbery. For example, I'm sure many of these victims are blamed for knowingly going to a place "they shouldn't have been." This doesn't insult me either, as it doesn't imply that all men (or all women) are batterers, murderers, and/or robbers.

19. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I don't know about that. I'm fairly certain that teenagers have been shitty to each other since long before now and that they are so mostly independently of the quality of their parents.

Maybe you could make the argument that the parents of the rapists failed in that they didn't teach their sons that rape is wrong. But then again, if you look at the number of people who are actively making excuses for the perpetrators while foisting the blame onto the victim, I think that a good argument could be made that culture is to blame, rather than a smattering of shitty parents.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

My parents never specifically told me not to rape anybody.

I think it's like... an implied thing.

• Like Like x 1