1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone following the Anon v. Steubenville, Ohio HS rapist story making it's way around today?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I do too, but I was trying to be generous.

2. It takes a village...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Well, you know how there is this huge moral gap between The Good Old Days and These Modern Yutes...

*gets out dry erase board*

To turn a rape into a pussy blame party? Apparently. That village is the media, it seems.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

This is the shitty thing about it. Perps of this type don't think they're doing anything wrong. Then they find themselves in court and it's all tears because it's unfair—they didn't know they were doing anything wrong.

I mean, she's a whore, right?

5. PlaysWithPixels

PlaysWithPixels Getting Tilted

This whole topic makes my heart hurt a bit.

I think I'm more disgusted by the outraged shock of it all. The outraged people are acting like this is a stand alone case. I would lay odds that there is an average of 1 girl per high school in the US who can "relate" to this girl. Some are or were younger than 16 when it happened to them.

6. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

CNN: won't someone please think of the rapists?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvUdyNko8LQ

I'll have to wait until I have some free time at work so I can get full text and statistics from a bunch of sources, but results among small studies are mixed, and when you look at the big picture, sex offender registries and mandatory notification slightly reduce first-time offenses but slightly increase recidivism, with the overall effect not meaningfully different from zero.
    The handling of sex offenses is a good example, but only one small facet of the way in which our entire legal system is utterly broken and making our country worse.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  7. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I don't think the phenomena is necessarily complex. Certainly coming to an understanding of why things are the way they are can be fraught with complexity, but essentially I think that cliques of people very easily slip into the devaluation of others outside of their circle - both male and female. This situation being a microcosm of a much larger sort of phenomena. I remember reading that this girl had done one of the other team members wrong somehow, dumped him or cheated on him, can't remember. But in doing so, she became an enemy. Which in that time and place - and with the added components of immature brain circuitry and alcohol - added up to a toxic environment with variables spinning out of control and the clique closing in around it. I don't think it's unusual and certainly not the worse case of this sort of thing that ever happened. Really, the only reason this case got so much attention is because of the social media element - one of the spinning variables.

• Like Like x 2
  8. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

So I started this thread appealing for a halt in the rush to justice.

Now justice has arrived.

Do I think it's sad to see young lives thrown away? Sure. Young lives thrown away while ruining others? Pisses me off like you can't believe.

I effectively have nothing other to say about the guys other than they're getting what they deserve.

And the misery goes on for the victim, perpetuated by that special echo chamber, social media.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

To twist GeneticShift's meaning in another thread a bit to fit this is all too easy...

• Like Like x 1
  10. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I honestly wonder what percentage of teenage guys would say no if their friends or teammates were doing this and wanted them to join in? Penis in vagina sex would probably be a high percentage (hopefully). But fingering, touching, or taking nude photos... Plus you add in teenage knowledge, hormones, and peer pressure along with the fact that they probably haven't seen many naked girls in real life.

It isn't to say that they aren't in the wrong, but I can understand how it happened. I'm just glad I was never in that situation.

11. Does anyone else watch Coronation Street? Actor William Roach, in an interview, spoke of the fault of the victim. They most likely did something wrong in a previous life and so deserved to pay for it in this.
    Bill Roache: Coronation Street actor apologises for making astonishing claims that sex abuse victims 'bring it on themselves' | Mail Online
    I guess the defense team had not heard of this bright new idea - she was a bad person in a previous life and so deserved it defense.
    Dont some people make you want to put your head out the window and scream and scream and scream.

12. Baraka_Guru

13. Perhaps these schools should encourage 'honor' and 'role model behavior' from their young athletes. If they behave in a manner that brings the schools into disrepute, then they should certainly be suspended from sports and the trappings that go with it.
    Two adult men raped a child. Two adult men stole a childhood. As to the parents of those who commented in such a vile manner - one day these horrible offspring will most likely be in a position of power over their parents - bloody well train them now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I had a 'Nelson' (Simpsons) moment then. Haw Haw - he's fucked his own life up too. I guess if he ever finds a woman dumb enough to have him - having kids is going to be a bit difficult isnt it? Just wish there was a 'like it lots' thingy to poke Craven.

15. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

If you knew what I knew about the effectiveness of our sex offender registry you would think differently. Pretty much everyone that's actually had a serious look at the issue agrees that our laws make things worse in the long run, they're almost guaranteed to spend the rest of their lives reoffending and bouncing in and out of prison now.

16. Nice to see that others are now being held accountable.

Steubenville rape case: New arrest, jail without bond - CNN.com

• Like Like x 3
  17. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

18. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand how you could purposefully try to cover up evidence in an effort to keep a teenage girl's rape from being properly investigated. And you work for a school? Geez.

19. Baraka_Guru

My heart.... It hurts.