1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone following the Anon v. Steubenville, Ohio HS rapist story making it's way around today?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Jan 3, 2013.

1. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Because they are living in a small town with an entrenched high school football culture and she was just a drunk girl getting what she deserved. I don't think I'm exaggerating.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Sadly I don't think you are off base.

I love sports as much or more than almost any one of my friends or people I know. But it is a game, and does not deserve to be elevated to that level of influence for any reason, in any way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

To reasonable people, it's a game. Problems can arise among those who consider it life.

I imagine that football culture is fuelled in large part by machismo and hypermasculinity.

4. Borla

FTFY

A truly masculine man wouldn't think of covering up a teenaged girl's rape so that some kids could play a game. That's not masculine, it's weak and twisted.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Oh, I've used those terms knowingly. Machismo refers to the belief in the superiority of men over women (consider patriarchy and misogyny), while hypermasculinity refers to the exaggerated male behaviour based on "violence is manly" and aggressive sexual behaviour towards women.

So I don't think this is a false machismo (as in, they likely really believe in these things), and hypermasculinity by its very nature is warped (this is, in itself, a fallacious and/or problematic view of masculinity).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Haven't even opened this thread until today, much less considered posting in it but it finally clicked that this event happened in Dean Martin's hometown.

7. pig

pig Slightly Tilted Donor

8. Borla

Four more charged in Steubenville, Ohio, rape case - ESPN

More charges against those who were tasked with protecting kids and instead tried to cover up rape. Good, I hope none of them ever work in education again, and I hope they end up being convicted and serve time if the charges are legit.

9. pig

Jesus Tapdancing Christ! Well, at least there is going to be some accountability in this situation. Big Red Football can go suck a dick.

10. Interesting - in a good way. Surely this will mean that any child who has say, gone to their church elders with allegations - they will have to be independently looked into - or those covering up crimes like this will face jail themselves (and rightly so.)
    If they are guilty, I would like to wish them cancer of the penis, so every day they can take their mouldering piece of sad rancid meat out for a pee and remember what a bunch of utterly revolting dick heads they truly are. I also hope if convicted, several men go all shawshank on their arses :).

11. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

The moral of the story is that you can't rely on basic human dignity and compassion for a person who was drugged and gang raped, the justice system only responds to the whims of a loosely organized group of Internet vigilantes.

• Like Like x 3
  12. pig

ain't that the truth brother. fucked up world.