1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Apollo at 50

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by redux, Jul 16, 2019.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted

Tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11 on July 16, 1969 and , on July 20, the first time humans set foot on the moon. Many TFPers were probably not yet alive , but as one old enough to being transfixed in front of the TV, it was an event I will never forget. It was when, at age eight, I decided to become an aeronautical engineer (not an astronaut). Physics in college was the end of that career before it got off the ground, probably for the best.

The National Air and Space Museum is planning week-long events, culminating in a 363-foot Saturn V rocket projected on the east face of the Washington Monument and a special "Apollo 50: Go for the Moon" show.

[​IMG]

On July 16, 17, and 18 the projection will be live from 9:30 pm to 11:30 pm.

It all builds up to July 19 and 20, when we will present "Apollo 50: Go for the Moon," a 17-minute show that will combine full-motion projection mapping artwork and archival footage to recreate the launch of Apollo 11 and tell the story of the first Moon landing. The show will unfold on the face of the Washington Monument and supporting screens, including a 40-foot-wide recreation of the famous Kennedy Space Center countdown clock.

Apollo 50

I'll be there!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

Fun fact.

I was born the day Apollo 13 launched.

Which was almost exactly 9 months after Apollo 11 landed on the moon...

• Like Like x 1
  3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i was not born, but i do remember watching space shuttles launch on tv

4. Terrell

Terrell Vertical

I wasn't born when Apollo 11 launched, but I was born by Apollo 13. It's sad that we haven't advanced enough to have self sustaining bases on Luna & Mars. IDK if it will happen in my lifetime. I hear talk from Trump/Pence about a lunar base before 2024; I'll believe it when I see it. I doubt that Elon Musk will be able to retire on Mars. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I fear that I'm right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I was around, remember the news coverage on the radio (yes, radio) and TV. The hoopla was intense.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Douglass1066 New Member

I was 3 when the Apollo launched in 1969

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2