1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Apple v Samsung

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by redux, Aug 25, 2012.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted

Yesterday a federal jury verdict in Cali conclude that Samsung willfully stole Apple's I-phone technology to make and sell its Android based phones.

Putting aside the $1 billion damage award to Apple that could be tripled by the court to $3b,what will it mean for the smartphone market.

The court could also impose an injunction that would prohibit Samsung from selling the Galaxy phones and tablets in the US; an injunction imposed by a federal court earlier this summer was stayed pending this case. If not an injunction, the court would likely require Samsumg to pay a hefty licensing fee to Apple.

So what does it mean for other Android phones and the future of the smartphone market?

Less competition and an effective monopoly for Apple? A big price spike for all Android phones that might also face the uncertainty of licensing fees to Apple?

Not a good outlook for consumers, IMO.

Or maybe it leads to Samsung (or others) to create an even better design and functionality of next generation smartphones/tablets.

2. I wonder if Apple will consider a price hike now?

3. I dunno. I'm sad that it turned out the way that it did, but it was kind of inevitable.

Consumers are going to get the shaft. Apple's going to claim exclusivity and hike prices, Android manufacturers are going to get paranoid and hike prices and/or limit availability.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

4. redux

redux Very Tilted

Apple Lists 8 Samsung Products It Wants Banned
    I dont see any good coming out of this for consumers.

5. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

This case is far from over. Samsung will appeal, and based on some of what's coming out from the jury now (including the head juror admitting that they ignored prior art because it "bogged them down") I suspect they'll have a strong case for it.

And then there's the fact that the outcome of the Apple-Samsung case is likely just a precursor to the Apple-Google case. There's speculation that Google is biding their time building up a case using the Motorola patent portfolio they purchased last year. It'll be interesting to see where that goes.

It's hard to support Apple in this. I'd have an easier time feeling sympathetic towards them if the patents in question weren't for things like "rectangles with rounded corners."

I suspect that what happens next will depend strongly on which judge hears the appeal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

Apple is suspected to have submitted doctored drawings in a similar case in Germany.

7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I haven't been following this case at all, but we have a patent system for a reason. Now, the way that corporations have abused the patent system is a problem, but innovation must be protected from cheap knockoffs for a few years (I would say 2-4 in terms of big corporations). I also think that companies with the patents have to be actively producing and selling product within a year to be eligible to hold onto the patent (Chevron), but that doesn't apply here.

The whole patent system needs an overhaul, especially when it comes to software and computers.

8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I was talking about this case with two of my girlfriends last night, as one of them has an iPhone, the other has an HTC, and I have a Motorola. We agreed that these patent cases are getting out of control, especially since they can patent things like rectangles with rounded corners. I understand that people want to protect their intellectual property, but it's getting ridiculous. There had to be a better way.

• Like Like x 1
  9. redux

redux Very Tilted

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

How can you patent rounded corners? If I put a patent on a box and wheels can I sue every motorvehicle maker possible? How did the lawsuit even leave the preluiminary phase? You know, the part where a judge looks over the description of the lawsuit and dertermines that this is indeed a reasonable thing to sue over?

11. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Apple leads, the world copies follows. I'm happy with the verdict because I own a lot of Apple stock. I bought my first Apple stock in 1997 at under $30 and it looks like Apple may even make me a millionaire.

Lindy

• Like Like x 1
  12. aabbccbbaa2

aabbccbbaa2 Vertical

i believe all this mediafuzz is just encouraged by apple AND samsung... both companies are happy with the media attention

13. Dave101 New Member

My gold plated butt-plug business is being sued by Apple. Apparently
    they have a patent for overprices crap for assholes.

14. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Our patent system is broken. Patents are granted on a first-to-file basis and you can patent anything from a specific product to a vague idea. The example I always give is that you have to click out of flash windows like games and Youtube videos before using browser shortcuts because a patent troll company has a patent on the ability to access browser functions while embedded content is in focus and wants exorbitant royalties to use it.