1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Arduino

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Lucifer, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

I've recently picked up an Arduino electronics prototyping platform starter kit!

Basically speaking, this is the first step in home open source robotics. The plans for building your own board are freely available online or you can buy a completed board. The IDE (integrated development environment) can be downloaded from the Arduino site and installed on your computer. I bought a complete starter kit including the Arduino Uno board shown above, the book "Getting Started With Arduino", a solderless breadboard, a usb cable, a 9V adapter, a DC motor, and enough LEDs, diodes, resistors, switches and wire to do all the projects in the book. The book itself is a quick read, only 111 pages and easily understood. If you google Arduino, you can find many projects and tutorials which people have created to interact with their environment. Just reading the book gave me some ideas for building some robotic playmates for the cats...

2. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

Sounds interesting, best of luck with your projects. I wouldn't mind a follow up from you when you have had time to play with this.
    Yours
    Zweiblumen

3. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

by coincidence, i just saw this project:

http://vimeo.com/27771789

which reads the close-captioning of television broadcasts for words like---o i dunno---kardashian or palin (so the blurb suggests, and who am i to say otherwise)---then mutes your television. its like audio disappearing. i like the idea.

4. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

I saw that auto-mute thing a few days ago too. It's that sort of thing that has really taken off with the Arudino. I was thinking of modifying the tv remote with accelerometer sensors so I could change channels and volume by just waving the remote in a certain direction.

I'd be happy to post photos of my projects, but I'm not allowed to yet.
    --- merged: Aug 22, 2011 5:53 PM ---
    [​IMG]

5. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

I'd edit the above, but apparently we can't edit our own posts?

This is the 2nd project, using a pushbutton to light up an LED. The next projects involve programing the board to recognize when a button has been pressed, so you can turn an LED on or off.

6. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Exciting. I had a class where we had to create some sort of "intelligent" mechanical apparatus using a microcontroller. Ever since, I've wanted to get one of these things and mess around with it. It's one of those things that I'd do if I had more time.

7. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

This looks cool. I think I'm gonna look into this a little more.

8. telekinetic

telekinetic Vertical

Arduino is great. If you're at all tinkery, there's no excuse not to have a few laying around....super useful way of bridging the gap between computers and the physical world. I have one that I've set up with four buttons for inputs and 4 relays to control 4 AC outlets for outputs that I've used for all kinds of things.

9. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

If you'd told me a decade ago that eventually I would be holding a star trek padd in my hand to look up how to use my personal microcontroller board to simply create whatever I wanted I'd've probably called you crazy.

I think that's what makes Arduino's so awesome, they're just usable enough to the average technologically inclined person that with a bit of effort you can literally look at the jetsons or something and say "Hey, I can actually take that Idea I had when I was five and make that now!"