1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Are most men not wanting to marry until after 30?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by chelle, Oct 13, 2014.

1. chelle

chelle Vertical

So my bf and I have been together officially for 3 years, 3 1/2 if you count us "talking" and going out in dates getting to know each other. He is 24 and I am 25. On Saturday, I finally managed the courage to talk about marriage even though we are completely comfortable talking about everything, this topic scared me even. I didn't know how he would react. I've always known one day he wanted to get married and have kids but I didn't know for sure if it was with me.

We had a date night which went very well, so I thought I might as well bring it up...now or never. I asked him if he could see us getting married one day. He was taken by surprised because the conversation came out of no where and started joking asking if I was proposing. I told him I am serious and that I need to know. He nodded and said yes. He asked if I see myself wanting to marry him one day, and I said "well yeah...why would I stick around in this relationship?"

I asked him, when does he see us getting married. He gave me a range between 27-32. I personally see myself getting married 27-29...not that I'm not willing to wait until I am 30 but I prefer before 30. I told him this but I'm not sure how well I made this clear.

What do you think of our age ranges we expect to marry? I think 30 is too long, we would be dating for 8 years. I feel like this conversation will need to be revisited again in he future some time.

I'm not expecting a ring now or next year...but I just wanted to know if we both had similar expectations. Everyone on a different forum said he's a man under 30 and men don't think about that stuff til here after 30 and that he's lying to me because he is just saying what I want to hear. I would hate to think he lied to me just to make me happy.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

All generalizations are wrong. ;) So people saying no man under 30 wants to be married are incorrect. Maybe he doesn't want to, maybe he does. The key is communication between you two as to what your expectations are for yourselves, each other, and your relationship.

IMO, setting "rules" like 'I want to be married by 30' or 'I need a ring after X years together' or 'I'll never be married before 27' are setting oneself up for heartache and disaster due to failed expectations and/or foolish relationship decisions driven by that "rule".

You did well by bringing it up directly. He was probably caught off guard, thus his response starting as a joke. My suggestions is to continue the conversation, let him know you don't want to pressure him, but you DO want to know where he sees his future with you. Then tell him what you expect and desire. It all starts with direct and healthy communication.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Consider all the factors.

A wedding is normally a big investment (in money and time). The way things go these days, many people in their mid-twenties aren't really in a great position to drop those kinds of resources into something, especially when that something can wait. Careers get started later than in the past, so I think that's why marriage tends to get pushed back these days. In my view, getting married before thirty is fine, but I would also call it "early." Getting married in one's thirties is perfectly fine. The only real consideration, in my opinion at least, is the timing of children, as pregnancy gets more risky and difficult after around thirty-five.

Also consider a few other things. What is marriage going to give you that you don't already have? Can those things wait until after thirty? Why or why not? I think many people have misconceptions about marriage. They think it has essentially different qualities than "pre-marital" relationships. Ideally, however, there isn't really anything that different when it comes to personal relationships. I find marriage a rather contrived thing that is more or less a "religious requirement," if not a social expectation. (How religious are you? How religious is he? Is this more about social convention than anything?)

But don't listen to me. I'm a non-religious divorcee currently in a "common-law marriage" (for over twelve years, mind you).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

I got married when I was 35. (I'm 59 now, and we're still married.)

I turned 30 about six months before I met my wife.

I doubt any of the women I was involved with before then would have been willing to marry me.

5. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I was 25, hubby 26, when we married.
    We had a 2 year engagement when we lived together. We did a lot of traveling and adventuring before we invested in a wedding. We paid for it ourselves, but saw it as something to bring our family and friends together, and not for us - until after the wedding. It was liberating and heartening to see everyone's support for our union.

We got married at the right age - for us. I wanted to be done with undergrad and really know him before committing to life, which is why we had that long engagement. It wasn't hesitation on his part. He was ready to marry me about a year before we were engaged.

You'll want to discover why your boyfriend has set this seemingly arbitrary timescale. It may have to do with financial security. It may be a promise he made to himself. It may be that he simply wants to know someone for a decade before committing.

You'll probably benefit from figuring out the details of your desires as well. If you understand yourself better, it's easier to have a rational discussion on the topic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well, if I would have married my man even only a year after we had met, I would have still been in my 30s. Putting a number/timeframe on anything related to relationships is always setting things up for disaster. If you two really belong together, it'll happen when it happens.

We put the cart before the horse and had a baby before getting married. We're not in any hurry to get married, because we're smart about it. We'll be shot up into higher tax brackets and I was dumb in my 20s (let an identity theft fester) leading to bad credit. It's not economical for us to get married. There's also the whole, "I think marriage is weird" because Gays having to fight for the right to get married. Who wants to be part of such a terrible institution that doesn't seem to really be about love anyway?

I still want a fucking ring and a party though! (I want a nice piece of jewelry to hand down to my daughter some day and I love parties.) I "proposed" to DaddySquirrel the other night, but he turned me down. He said men are supposed to ask. For those of you who know me, you are well aware that I don't follow traditions especially when it comes to gender "norms". It's something he wants to do on his own time and on his own terms. I asked if it would be a romantic proposal and he just laughed and said I knew him better than that.

7. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

No weddings are a horrible investment. Most barely break even from guests giving money.

As far as @chelle is concerned.

if I followed what I thought at 20 I would be married, kids, and divorced by the time I was 30 or even earlier.

I didn't know what I wanted in life and thought I did at 20. No I realized by the time I was in my mid 20s that I didn't want to have kids and that I just wanted to be married to someone and do whatever we wanted. No kids. No kids. No kids.

That's where I am now and we can't be happier.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

What makes for a stable marriage? | Randal S. Olson

It is a tricky question.

For me, the party itself would be more stressful and I would want everyone to be happy, then the commitment part of it.

While I'm glad I didn't have the worry about a girlfriend/wife leaving me during the difficult times in my early 20s, that is kind of the whole point of getting married is to have someone there to help you and get through those times. I think the whole marriage institution is not right currently. Most people aren't focused on what it really should be.

The next issue is what benefit does the man get from being married? Especially if he is the one with a job and there aren't going to be kids. I'm not sure if there has been any studies between long term co-habiting couples and those who got married based on sex, spending habits, and appearance, but I would guess it is better to be in a long term monogamous relationship without the official title for some reason.

9. Baraka_Guru

You're not thinking of the marriage! The fruits!

10. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I think I am the outlier of all outliers.

I got married at 19 (she was 21, so she could buy me booze, I was smart with that). We had known each other as long as we could remember, probably 4-6 years old, our families were in the same social circles. We had been together off and on most of the time since I was 14-15. I moved away when I was 17 and we still stayed connected and all I ever wanted to do was go back home every weekend to visit. We ended up married, and I'll freely admit it was too young. But it worked out, we are both very happy, and getting close to 17 years later I can honestly think I'm much better off for doing that versus if I hadn't. ymmv

• Like Like x 1
  11. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I was 35 when Mrs. Levite and I got married, 34 when we got engaged, still 33 when we got together. I felt ready for marriage then, and had felt ready for at least a year or two by then. I honestly don't think I would've been ready for marriage at 25. Certainly not earlier than that!

Readiness is a matter of getting your shit together, finding yourself, creating a stable sense of self, and finding some kind of relative stability in your life. So some men are different than others. Some may come to that point in their self-development sooner than others. Some later. Since in this, like virtually everything else, there is a range, it's not impossible that some men might be ready at 18 or 20, but I would think they would be rare. Just as some men might not be ready until 40 or 50, but I think they would also be rare. My guess would be that for most men, readiness comes somewhere between 25 and 35, which makes 30 the likely average age of readiness.

Once upon a time, when people married primarily for financial reasons, or because of social pressures, or other more antiquated motivations, rather than primarily for love and partnership, I think things were different. Also, when people didn't live as long, and before there were technologies to aid older people in having children, things were different. But today, I think it is entirely reasonably to put off the commitment of marriage until one feels truly prepared to make a lifetime commitment to someone-- to truly understand what it is to have a permanent partnership with someone, and to be able to engage in the compromises and give-and-take that make for successful relationships. That requires maturity, self-knowledge.

I am firmly of the opinion that it is always better to wait than to marry too soon.

12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

So much this.

I spend a lot of time reminding teenagers that trying to make "rules" about their lives is unproductive at best. Even people who study the lifespan know there is no one way to go through life. Everyone has different circumstances, and while we can make general observations about life stages, how it plays out in actuality is very different (this is one of the things that makes studying the adult portion of the lifespan so cool). Milestones change due to a variety of factors (education, income, career attainment, ethnicity, family background and structure); as some have pointed out here, people are getting married later in life if they get married at all. We do know that the frontal lobe doesn't finish developing until the mid-20s; we also know that marriages that take place after people are 25 have a higher success rate. These two things together suggest that waiting is a better tactic overall.

We waited until we were 28 and 27 respectively. I have no regrets. Early on in our relationship, I admit to wanting to jump the gun, largely due to those stupid "rules" in my head that wanted to be married before 25. Well, after many, many classes in human development and family science, I was content to wait. Somewhere along the way, we agreed that we would get married after we had both graduated. When my now-husband had about a year left in his studies, I pointed out that if we were going to get married, we probably ought to get engaged first. Shortly thereafter, I happened to find a ring at Costco that met all of our requirements, so we made the engagement official. Totally unromantic, but very us. Here we are, four plus years later, nine plus years total, and I think it was a good call. We got married 2 days after our 5 year anniversary.

13. Street Pattern

Yeah, I wanted to get my driver's license before I was 30, but lack of an actual car made that impossible. I ended up getting my first driver's license at age 31.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Baraka_Guru

You beat me by a few years.

15. Street Pattern

Yeah, but you live in a big city. Where I come from, most everybody got their driver's license at 16.

16. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I was a bit late at 17, the school bus was a workable option until then.

17. Baraka_Guru

I didn't move to a big city until I was 25. Until then, I lived in the far reaches of the township of a much smaller city, where everyone (but me, it seems) got their driver's license at 16.

/threadjack

18. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

First, many wait until 30's to do anything major in life...everything has shifted up about 5 years. (I hear in Italy they typically stay with the family until mid-30's)
    It's much more difficult to get established these days.
    ...and from what I've experienced and heard from others, there's a certain onus to be established before "the leap"

Second, many who want to wait...aren't opposed to marriage or fear being 'tached...it's that they want to "do it right".
    Often they're a product of a bad marriage and poor divorce. (parents-wise that is)

However, I believe you've taken a bit of the ambiguity out of the equation from his side. (he knows you're interested...and these days you never know)
    The hard part for you will be to just let it lie for now...don't push or pester.
    But at least you set your perspective. And that's good.

There are no rules anymore...there is no "right way"...there are only dynamics and logistics.
    Some people's clock are tickin' faster than others.
    And just like a relationship...the decision has to be a 2-way street.

I've always wanted a family...but it's been difficult to find one I want to stick around AND they want to stick around me.
    And even after that, finding a responsible/consistent person can be a challenge too.
    Marriage is a commitment of support. (love is a bonus)

19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

We were married at 24. We had a wedding ceremony but it didn't break the bank. We were DIY with a lot of decorations, music, etc.

My second wedding was the best - city hall ceremony and back to a friend's place for pizza and champagne.

As for rules... fuck the rules.

Do what feels right.

• Like Like x 2
  20. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

Some of us have to face the ugly truth:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 9