1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any good new hard rock/metal bands out there?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by FrankieZee, Sep 15, 2011.

1. FrankieZee

FrankieZee Vertical

Hi all. I'm currently in a search for new music that doesn't suck and I'm looking for suggestions because I generally dislike what is on the radio, and I've been burned by some of Amazon's suggestions recently.

I'm a heavy metal fan at heart, and I used to love all the screaming stuff out there. Killswitch Engage, Demon Hunter, Trivium, In Flames, Soilwork, I couldn't get enough. Lately though (within the last 5 years or so) I have seemed to have tired of the screaming vocals associated with these types of bands.

I still love the old school metal; Metallica (yes, still a fan, and cautiously waiting for the new collaboration with Lou Reed), Megadeth, Testament, and I just got the new Anthrax and listening to it now (so far so good). I seriously miss the old school metal sound.

I don't need the thrash though, as for the last month the only CD I've played in my car (except for today) has been a Clutch collaboration CD I put together. Once I start listening to Clutch, I don't want to stop. I also enjoy Black Label Society, and Breaking Benjamin, but I stay away from Nickelback, Three Days Grace, Seether, or any of the clones they play on the "new rock" radio stations. I liked Black Stone Cherry's first two CD's, but their last one lost some of the blues groove and basically sounds like standard radio fodder to me.

What drove me to post here is actually my disappointment in a CD I just purchased. I am a longtime Dream Theater fan and listened to their new album (A Dramatic Turn of Events) today with great anticipation. I think my tastes have changed and I'm tired of the over the top, I'm-a-better-musician-than-anyone-else 2 - 7 minute interludes they seem to insert into every single song that really disrupts the flow.

What I'm searching for is something new that isn't radio fodder. Something in between the Nickelback clones that are overplayed on the radio and the screaming Slipknot stuff. Anything with a badass heavy riff that doesn't include lyrics bitching about a woman.

Does anything like this even exist any more?

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I don't know about any new stuff, but....

I've had the same problem as you. I don't like the speed, death, thrash stuff as much as the doomy, low-tempo, grindy metal. Stuff that tends to be more riff-based, etc.

I don't have a lot of time right now, but I wanted to drop in to tell you to check out Corrosion of Conformity if you haven't already. But start with as far back as their Deliverance album or, possibly, Blind.

How does this sound?

Also, more recently, I've been digging Nebula. Still a bit early, but I've enjoyed tracks from their To the Center album.

I have a few more recommendations, but there's two to start.

3. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i was in the same boat as you a couple years ago, that's when my friend turned me onto opeth. they've been around forever but aren't very well known. they do everything from super heavy downtuned guitar riffs, screaming vocals, clean vocals, melodic acoustic interludes etc. they have quite an extensive discography.

i'm a big fan of many of the bands you mention so you may want to give them a shot if you aren't already aware of them.

the softer side:

and the heavier side....1:04 for some clean vocals

4. FrankieZee

FrankieZee Vertical

I have been aware of both Corrosion of Conformity and Opeth for some time, just never really gave them much thought. Much the same as how I was introduced to Clutch; I had a roommate back in 2000 that loved them, and the last roommate I had for a few years did too, but I wasn't really interested until I heard Electric Worry. After that, I got sucked into them pretty hard.

I will check into both of these with new ears, thanks.

Edit: Digging Albatross. Funny...evidently my last roommate gave me some CoC as I have America's Volume Dealer and Deliverance in my library. I will burn some new CD's for the car and check them out. That's really the only time I get to actually listen and absorb the music.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'm not getting the "I don't like the screaming stuff." Metallica's first album is a screamer.

Does Five Finger Death Punch count? They're like Pantera with less drug references.

Perhaps too mainstream-sellout but they definitely fit the mood here at work.

6. FrankieZee

FrankieZee Vertical

What I mean with the screaming is the death metal style vocals. And I don't think I said "I don't like it", I've just grown tired of a lot of it. It's getting old hat and quite boring. When they scream like that all of the time, it takes away from the power they're trying to convey (to paraphrase Shadows Fall).

The second video samcol posted of Opeth fits what I'm talking about (speaking of Opeth, I didn't realize they were that diverse, I may look into them further). I don't really consider Metallica screaming quite like this.

I have heard Five Finger Death Punch on the radio and while I don't dislike them, I've never heard anything of theirs that I had to go out and get the CD's. I think they also slip in those growling/screaming/death metal vocals as well.