1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

As Seen on TV: Did you buy it?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by DamnitAll, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Chuck Norris makes everything look easy to use.

2. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Yeah he does, did you know that when the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.:D

• Like Like x 1
  3. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I have the Ove-glove. It works great, unless you get hot water on it.

I am interested in the ceramic pans, but I don't know how well they would work or if the type of cooking I do would work with those.

4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

6. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

That's why it's called the suck-cut.

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Cooks Illustrated was not a fan.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=20400

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Thanks, snowy. That article just confirms what I've known for several months.
    I bought some so-called "green" pans from Chef Todd English on HSN twice now, and both sets started out well, but in the end lose their non-stick interior rather quickly.
    I have to use oil and high heat if I don't want it to stick, now. Kinda defeats the purpose of going green and healthy.

I bought the second set, thinking that I messed the pans up with the one burner on my stove that gets ultra hot, so I made a point of using the second pans on the other burners.
    Still no good, after a while.

I think I'm through with non-stick pans.
    I'm now going to get some stainless steel pans to go with my cast iron skillets.

9. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Cast iron lasted about a week at my house. It likes to form iron oxide and cleaning it was a big problem.

I love the George Foreman Grill. That was an infomercial product.

10. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

i have two of them...
    they work fine for me - even regular pads don't work well when wet (something to do with physics and heat transference, i think...)

11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yeah, heat transfer--no need for the -ence. Studying heat transfer is kind of its own thing because while it predominantly involves physics, it also involves some knowledge of chemistry. The wider field is called transport phenomena, as it studies heat, mass, and momentum. Water transfers heat well, and when an oven mitt is wet, the air in the cotton that acts as an insulator is absent, thus transferring heat to your hands doubly well.

I think my husband is rubbing off on me.

12. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

i sit corrected... :)

13. jannista

jannista Vertical

I think the snuggie is the best invention ever. The only one that made it to real life from TV infomercial (I could be wrong, that's what I think).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fremen

If you like the Snuggie, you ought to give the Forever Lazy a try. Ask ZombieSquirrel about it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. This reminds me of " the lazy", a similar garment. In the infomercial I always thought they should add,"comes with its own catheter and urine bag so you never have to get up!"

I'm sure its just me..........

16. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Carbon steel is also quite good when seasoned, and a LOT lighter than a cast iron skillet. My wok is so non-stick that flipping can be a bit tricky since they like to go all the way up, over, and right back down the other side in a full circle. Picking a spatula took some thought as well since one with too thick of an edge has a tendency to bump them instead of going under... which promptly launches them right up the side and out of the wok, leaving me with about a quarter second to grab it when it slaps against the wall.

That's odd, I know carbon steel needs a wipedown with oil but cast iron shouldn't be rusting once its seasoned well. Does it do this even if you give it a bit of a protective oil coat?

Also I've been interested in the Foreman style grills for a while, although I always found the cuisinart models that can open up to two flat surfaces to be more attractive. They all use teflon though and I just refuse to use that crap.

17. Fremen

I used to have a wok, but never the right source of heat to cook effectively in it. (we've always had electric stoves)
    Also, I'm not sure, but I don't think it was carbon steel.
    We lost it somehow when we moved. Probably should look into getting a good wok, now, since one of our big electric burners gets hella hot, as the saying goes. ;)

Thanks for the idea, Shadowex3.

18. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

If I ever work from home, that Forever Lazy will be my uniform. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fremen

I wonder if it would be even better with footies on them.

20. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

When I work from home my uniform is boxer shorts. It's so very liberating.

I've never bought anything directly as a result of an infomercial, but I do own a George Foreman grill. I gotta say, it's pretty awesome.