1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

As Seen on TV: Did you buy it?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by DamnitAll, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I actually use a flat-bottom wok on a flat top electric range without any real problems, then again the way those eyes project heat straight upwards probably works pretty close to a flame. Coils could be more problematic without a wok-stand or special bowl shaped coil (which to me seems stupid and dangerous).

I can't recall if I mentioned it already but my mother got a little fist-sized steamer that was sold at those pseudo-ASOTV kiosks that is, amusingly enough, the only effective steamer we've ever owned. The little guy spits out a ridiculous hot cloud of steam for a good bit of time whereas every "real" steamer we've ever bought has barely worked.

2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

https://secure.stonedine.com/D2/index.aspx

I saw these pans on TV this past weekend... Maybe I can look on eBay for someone who wants to sell them. Then again, it would be a better sign if there weren't any on eBay.

3. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Personally, I refuse to buy a product from any organization that's okay with such a shitty website.

4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

This might qualify for an express ticket to hell and way too obvious but it was fun still... :D
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Every time I see anything doing the "X but made of Rocks!" thing I remind myself, and sometimes anyone else within earshot if I'm having trouble keeping my inner dialogue from becoming an outer monologue, that there is a reason that the Stone Age came before the metal ages.

6. Ayashe

Ayashe Getting Tilted

I work with a physician who had used one for years. I think he found it difficult to find the time to go get a haircut. His wife is a coupon fanatic however so if she comes across a coupon for a haircut.. that's where it goes. Not sure how that financially makes sense but he follows her instructions.

Never used a Magic Bullet but I hear it works fantastically for making baby food. I used a hand grinder back in the day...

I do not watch television but there is a "as seen on tv" section at the local Walgreens. I bought a turbo snake which worked fantastically. I had been using a similar technique to unclog drains and this worked much better.

My mother bought me a turbie-twist (I think that's what it was called) it works better than a towel, not so heavy.

Magic Jack, bought at best buy.. works great for the SO to call me from when he is out of the country. Of course this is assuming his internet is sufficient where he happens to be at the time.

7. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I got the Lint Lizard.
    If you haven't seen the ad, it's an attachment for your vacuum to clean out the dryer vents.
    I have to say I was impressed.
    My dryer dried our clothes twice as fast.
    Consumer Reports also gives it good ratings.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I ended up getting some ceramic pots and pans. I should have gotten them years ago. They work great and are super easy to clean. I haven't had a dirty dish in weeks because I can just run water over the pan and it gets clean.

9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

If my husband saw that, he'd figure out how to make one. The tubing is cheap at the homebrew store. We actually might just have some hanging around.

10. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I totally need this.

11. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Near as I can tell it's literally just a flexible section that seals on the vacuum tube, a small cone to narrow the diameter smoothly, and then some simple tubing.

12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Right. Since he's an engineer, his universal response to something of this nature is, "Why would I buy it when I can make it?"

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Engineers and nerds in general I think. Every time someone gushes over the latest low-end ikea pårtikelbörd whatever I ask them why they don't just buy some hardwood from Home Depot and build it themselves. Putting a framed pegboard up in my closet was an afternoon project.

14. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

15. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

As many posts in this thread have shown, some of the products in cheap-n-cheesy ads actually work well. I guess that unless you have major financial backing, you advertise your new product the cheapest way possible.

The commercials for No!No! were lame, but have improved considerably.

16. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Back in 2001, I bought a full collection of Walk Away the Pounds VHS tapes. Something like...eight or nine tapes, maybe? There was also an audio cassette, a planner/recipe book, and some hand weights. I don't remember how much I paid for them, somewhere around $100, I think. Edit: Oh, there was also some kind of diet supplement, but I didn't use that.

I still use them. I've re-purchased some of the workouts on DVD, and transferred a few to DVDs myself. The weights bit the dust, but I bought new ones. Leslie Sansone is your typical aerobics instructor, but is really good at giving cues for upcoming moves-- one of my pet peeves is aerobics instructors who don't.

17. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

This just screams "Austin Powers".
    I wouldn't be able to use that thing without doubling over laughing.

18. Chris Noyb

Lint Lizard and Limp Wizard.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Hahaha, I had to look this product up because my initial thought was, "That's the best name ever for a high tech electric shock chastity belt."

20. Chris Noyb

You could name that Gotcha!Gotcha!.