1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Book Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by ZombieSquirrel, Apr 10, 2014.

1. I tried reading while breastfeeding since that's one of the times where she is preoccupied. However, I haven't mastered holding her and a book.

I was thinking that an audio book route may be the best way.

Yes, I could just ask for book suggestions, but since someone will be reading the book to me, their voice matters. I won't someone who captures the tone of the book well. Doesn't have a boring voice, but isn't too animated either. BbaySquirrel will be listening to this too, so a nice voice would be preferable. I know I could just use headphones, but I thought it would be nice to share the story with her.

Since she probably can't retain a lot of knowledge now, I don't think she would mind if I listened to it at work too. I'm guessing she won't miss a lot of plot points.

Something that I can down on my phone would be preferable.

THANKS!

2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Well my first suggestion was going to be World War Z, which is probably the best audio book I've ever listened to.
    Max Brooks was able to get different actors to play the parts of the people being interviewed and they all fit the parts perfectly (especially Alan Alda).
    However, if BbaySquirrel will be listening maybe not.

The Harry Potter books are well done if you like those, the does the voices and has a good voice.
    Also, David Sedaris reads his own books.
    You might laugh and wake her up but it would be worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BabySquirrel's mamma is a zombie. I think she can handle it.

I listened to most of the Harry Potter books when I had a 45-60 minute commute. That was fun. It was like story time.

4. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

• Like Like x 1
  5. pWf

pWf Getting Tilted

I REALLY love all the David Baldacci audio books, especially the King & Maxwell series. But they all seem to be read by the same persons. I also always enjoy the Lee Child books. Always the same person that reads those as well. You may also want to try the Alphabet books, but Sue Grafton. They always have the same person reading those as well. I like long series as I commute, and its always best when the same voice is reading it.

6. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'm addicted to audio books. I cannot drive without them. I'm doing the Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels in order now... I'm on 14. I love the Eve Dallas novels by JD Robb and Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series, too. The chicks that read them are awesome. I just finished Gone Girl and both readers were great.

I totally understand the importance of having a good voice to listen to... I've actually turned off books because of the readers before.

• Like Like x 2
  7. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Game of Thrones. I finished them while I was in Australia and I LOVE the series. I love the reader's voice, too, but it bugged me a bit if he changed the pronunciation of a name in a book later in the series.

I also have listened to Beatrice and Virgil (depressing but great), a lot of David Sedaris, The Time Traveler's Wife, Life of Pi (narrator was great), 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Help, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and Bossypants in the last couple years or so. You might like them all. :)

The Kite Runner is also great on audiobook, with a really good reader.

I also have Dune and need to start it.. as well as a couple biographies (Jim Henson, Chris Hadfield).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss