1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Authentic versus good food...

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Lindy, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Yep. That's pretty much what I am on about.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

KISS - good is good

The only two factors come into play when it comes to food, my taste/smell and my brain.
    If it's going out, 2 more are added...price and service. (and yes, this does affect my self-conscious about what I'm eating...if I'm pissed or pleased this does factor into my opinion)

I'm a foodie to a certain extent...as I'm always looking for a great new flavor...or to taste that certain flavor again.
    I will go out of my way for it.

But it makes no difference if I'm eating an awesome new meal at an upscale Japanese-French fusion gourmet restaurant in Potomac with a wonderful brandy
    or the most awesome McDonald's at Del Mar (where the founder's widow lived nearby back then...which likely increased the quality...damn, that was good stuff)

or the pizzeria next to my old HS that still exists to this day with the same perfect taste whenever I go back every decade.

When it hits you, it hits you
    I want that rush

As my dear proper grandmother said one night, surprising us at a family meal,
    "Mmmm...Better than an orgasm" :eek::confused: :oops::p:rolleyes: :cool: ;) *reaction in that order, but she was so right

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447612126.126393.jpg

Authentic Mexican Chicago nachos?

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Authentic is seldom a useful word to describe food, unless what is being touted is a cultural experience centered around food. But few restaurants attempt to do this anymore, especially considering how prevalent fusion cuisines are-- which is really for the best, I think.

Generally speaking, whether in a restaurant or in a home kitchen, authenticity should not be the objective: good food, well executed, and well presented, should in fact be the objective, and even presentation can be sacrificed if the execution is good enough.

Food can be authentic as hell and still be poorly prepared: my grandmother had an amazing chicken soup recipe from her mother (beginning with "First, you take a leek..."), and she couldn't cook it worth a damn, despite following the recipe to the letter. The soup was authentic, and bad. When my mom prepared it, it was both authentic and amazing, though my mom slightly modified the recipe (using celery root instead of celery, leaving the greens from the leek and the dill in the broth, etc.). I'd take the latter over the former any time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I cook with leeks quite a bit. While not a perfect substitute for onion, (a little too mild) they are so much easier to work with. And usually 3 big ones for about $2 at one of the local Mexican groceries.:)

7. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

They're very good for some things, less so for others. I adore onion above nearly any other flavor, so I don't consider leek an acceptable substitute. But it is good in many things (including chicken soup). I actually have a recipe I re-created from an account of the coronation feast of Baldwin, king of Latin Jerusalem, for duck in red wine and sour cherry sauce, served with a well-peppered sautee of cabbage, leek, and garlic. I also use caramelized leek and onion as part of a white bean pate I sometimes make. And I use a mirepoix with added leek at the base of the potato/beer/cheddar soup I make. And so on....

• Like Like x 2
  8. Charlatan

That's a great story and it underscores the elusive nature of authenticity. The dictionary tells us that authentic means: of undisputed origin and not a copy; genuine. The problem with authenticity as a concept is similar to words like artisanal. Marketing departments have sucked at and shaped the meaning of these words to the point where they no longer hold the meaning they once had -- if they ever held that meaning to begin with.

In other words, when both Mama Leota's red sauce and Mama Lucretia's red sauce are deemed authentic, what is up with authenticity? I guess the question really comes back to: a) what do we mean by authenticity and b) when we say we want something that is authentic what are we really expecting?

A unique experience?
    A true moment?
    A shared experience (like the barn)?

When you start to pick at it, it kind of unravels.

• Like Like x 2
  9. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447709506.441874.jpg

Two different restaurants both claim to be authentic.

10. Charlatan

Which Mexican cuisine? There are something like seven regional styles.

In Thailand there are broadly four regional cuisines. The food most of us are familiar with is from Bangkok. The food in the north or south is quite different.

The same can be said for India, China, etc.

• Like Like x 2