1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Barber Shop might be up on Human Rights Charges

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Mbraitman, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Mbraitman

Mbraitman New Member

There is a local debate going on where I live about a Barber Shop for Men. It is the only mens only barber shop. A woman asked to get a hair cut there and they denied her service as they only cut men's hair. There are at least 120 hair salons where the woman could have gotten her hair cut. She was outraged, and is trying to make a human rights case against them for discrimination against woman. A big argument that it's okay to have a barber shop for men is that there are gyms that are only for women. How is that okay and not a barber shop just for men?

What are your opinions? Is this a huge deal? Is this just someone trying to make a grab for their 15 minutes?

2. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Perhaps in your country, barbers are only trained on how to cut men's hair?

3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Seems weird that they would have turned her away.
    Money is money.
    Most places have at least one person who could have done the cut or they would have warned her that sure we'll give you a hair cut, you'll just look a dude when we're done.

Seems stupid on both sides.

• Like Like x 3
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Getting a haircut at a barber's shop is generally cheaper, as realistically, they only do one kind of cut. Women's haircuts can be ludicrously expensive, so I don't blame the woman for trying to get her hair cut there. However, taking it this far is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

I'm interested to see the outcome of this, from a business law perspective. But it seems to me that the easier way to avoid the whole hassle would have been to have her sign a waiver that the barbers were not trained in cutting women's hair, and that they weren't liable for bad results.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

It's a big deal that someone doesn't want to serve someone based on gender, race, religion, etc.

I am not sure that I'd take it to a human rights tribunal, but it seems a little short-sighted on the part of the barber. As was said above, money is money. If someone wants to get their hair cut a barber vs a salon, who really cares? What is this? 1940?

As for gyms for women, I am pretty sure we all know why those particular services exist.

8. Mbraitman

Mbraitman New Member

So, as a man I can't goto the gym that's conveniently close to me?

At any rate...This one barbershop was started as a men's hangout spot. You can smoke cigars, and have a beer while getting your hair cut...and they do the classic beard trim too. They even advertise it as a men's only place.

9. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I would think that a business can choose who they want to do business with.

10. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

I'm confused by your points, because they seem to contradict. You want to go to the women's gym but don't want women to go to the men's barbershop.
    That's not really a defense.
    But to be fair, I also disagree with those too.
    --- merged: Sep 9, 2014 at 8:45 PM ---
    There's a long line of precedent that disagrees. You can refuse to do business with someone for various reasons. The US Federal Civil Rights Act says that "All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin." Further laws extend certain protections based on pregnancy, citizenship status, familial status, disability, and veterans.

Though this particular case is in Canada, I assume they have similar protections.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
  11. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

the real question is why would you want to give your money to an establishment that doesn't want to serve you anyway? reminds me of the gay couple who wanted a wedding cake. the bakery refused because gay marriage was against their beliefs. go buy a cake somewhere else and stop giving it to people that dont support your cause.

i wish i had a men's only place where i could have a drink and cigar and get an old fashioned shave with no women around. political correctness has gone way too far. there's like a sport clips, great clips, fantastic sams, etc where you can get a super cheap haircut. why does she have to rain on this shop's parade?

12. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

13. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am not sure why the occasional woman getting a men's style haircut would prevent you from enjoying a beer, shave and a haircut? I don't imagine any woman going to a barber is expecting anything more than a men's style cut. I certainly don't go to a barber to have my hair styled as I would in a salon.

I have a local barber that I go to. They serve cocktails and do a great beard trim and hot shave. I could care less if I looked over and saw a woman getting a shave.
    --- merged: Sep 10, 2014 8:24 AM ---
    I agree that I wouldn't want to shop a place that didn't want to serve me, but in some cases, principles are principles. If nothing else, taking a stand against discrimination can amplify awareness of the public at large encouraging others to not spend their money as well.

In the case of the Wedding Cake, that's a pretty odious choice on the part of the bakers. It's not that much different from the sort of, "no service for niggers" we used to see in the South.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

On the surface that makes sense, esp. in the case of a barbershop only cutting mens hair. The unfortunate aspect is allowing this potentially opens the door to other forms of discrimination.

We live in a weird society (speaking for the USA). We sometimes seem to be allowing "corrective discrimination."
    Women can have "women only" gyms, etc. and that's perfectly fine, but any place that has a "men only" policy could possibly be challenged in the media and perhaps in court.
    Black comedians can make fun of white people, but gawd forbid should white comedians make fun of black people.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Not necessarily. This morning, on Comedy Central satellite radio, I heard a white female comedian make fun of black people. Then she giggled and said, "That was really racist, wasn't it?"

Comedians can get away with a lot.

16. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Yes, they can, but it certainly appears to me that black comdeians get away with a lot more recism than white comedians. That was on the radio, was it a live performance in a club, or was the comedian in the studio? Was it one joke, or an ongoing monologue?

Maybe things are equalling out a bit these days........but not much judging from what I've seen on TV (limited, I admit).

17. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

White comedians, and white people in general, tread on very thin ice when making light of minorities. Yes, there are groups which should not be discriminated against. In some peoples minds though, a group once discriminated against can morph into That Culture Which Must Never Be Criticized. And humor is considered criticism.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  18. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I've found that when it comes to comedy the general rule goes like this, for comedians if the joke is cutting or mean you'd better be the same color/gender/culture/sexual orientation. If it's pretty surface or you're Sarah Silverman you can get away with it.
    For regular folks don't even think about making the joke unless it's in your family tree.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

So you agree that women's only gyms, salons, and whatever else need to go as well?

Nobody can make fun of or even criticise black people, not even black comedians. Remember how much shit Cosby got the last time he pointed out people spending hundreds of dollars on designer shoes while their kids needed books and food was bad parenting?

• Like Like x 1